• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [August] Now Voting - Post 937!

Matt Gilgenbach's Neverending Nightmares is on Greenlight

And if you haven't already, check out this compelling article about Matt's struggle and commercial failure with Retro/Grade and how it inspired Nightmare.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2tsIuZonKw
637x358.resizedimage

637x358.resizedimage

Heads up, the next game going to be featured on IndieGameStand is going to be Pandora: Purge of Pride

Trailer
Pandora: Purge of Pride is a first person puzzle game in which you, as Pandora, use the Seven Deadly Sins to solve puzzles in your Victorian mansion. Taking inspiration from the mythical story of Pandora's Box, Pandora challenges you with a unique puzzle for each of the Sins. As you solve each puzzle, you will recapture that Sin and gain a power based on that Sin which allows you to solve future puzzles. During the game you will encounter and capture each of these Sins:

Greed - Pull objects toward you
Wrath - Push objects away from you
Gluttony - Make more of an object
Lust - Attract two objects to one another
Envy - Pull yourself toward an object
Sloth - Slow an object down
Pride - The final Sins can truly consume people

How do I know? Four hints were posted on Twitter:
Hint 1: PAX is tomorrow and this game can be found there
Hint 2: Windows, Mac and Linux users will hopefully give this game the greenlight
Hint 3: Say Hi to these guys at the PAX Indie MiniBooth
Hint 4: This puzzler was made by some high class folks

Pandora is on those platforms, hasn't been Greenlit yet, will be at the Indie MiniBooth, and the devs are High Class Kitsch

Betrayer just put out a nice little update.

-A new contrast slider
-basic gamepad support
-optimizations
-various bug fixes
-some balance tweaks (arrow drop, melee damage changes and you can no longer sprint backwards.)

Has Mush ever been discussed here? It sounds awesome: isometric FTL-esque multiplayer with an alien interloper masquerading among the crew.

Site
Best summary I found:
It’s an online multiplayer game that takes place over real-time, and you play one member of a crew of 16 on board a spaceship fleeing from alien invaders. All of you are human, or are you?

That’s the mystery at the heart of Mush, and what provides all of the tension; you just don’t know who to trust!

At least one person on board the ship is an alien, one of the titular mush, and they’re masking as a human. While you’re trying to fix the ship, they’re breaking it, while you find the resources you need to survive, they’re hiding them, while you shoot at the pursuing alien fleet, they’re breaking your turrets.
And a good hands-on article from Indie Statik

rybrad

Has there been any new info about release dates on early access for Wasteland Kings or Dungeon of the Endless? Last I saw was "soon" which is probably the most annoying thing a dev can say for a date.

Has Mush ever been discussed here? It sounds awesome: isometric FTL-esque multiplayer with an alien interloper masquerading among the crew.

I'm rather looking forward to that. Got my account wired for an invite code whenever they choose to send them. The premise reminds me of the Battlestar Galactic boardgame if anyone's played it.

Edit: Ironclad Tactics, now averiable for pre-order. It's the SpaceChem guy back with a steampunk American civalwar card strategy game.
http://ironcladtactics.com/the-extra-extra-bundle/

Vancha

Cube World
I love Monster Hunter and this game is just great to play in with a couple of friends. I could soar through the sky for hours!

Dusty Revenge
Lovely brawler with great graphics, need I say more?

Lumenox: Aaru's Awakening
Again the artstyle just wins me over. Quite a challenging platformer to learn but even when I struggled I still liked it because of movements of Aaru.

Outer Wilds
Great rogue-like (can I call it that?) Trying to explore as much as possible before the end of the solar system is both challenging and fun.

Tessalation
Portal and Quantum Conundrum were some of my favorite puzzle platformers ever and if this game gets a full fleshed release it would stand proudly next to those.

Viscera Cleanup Detail
The first simulator game that I love in AGES!

So I got Legend of Dungeon and I'm enjoying it a lot. The combat is mechanically simple, but you have consider timing and reach and enemy line of sight so there is some depth. The pixel graphics are lovely, the lighting adds to the atmosphere, and enemy designs are great. I've only stumbled upon one other weapon (the pen is indeed mightier than the sword) but going by the forums, there is a huge variety of cool weird weapons and spell books. There are some really cool Easter eggs and references too

The inventory system needs tweaking and the dungeon designs need more variety but the game is a lot of fun. Personally I think playing it solo is the way to go for a more rewarding experience.

The devs plan to add classes and NPC helpers and other expansions. So that's good

Only made it to level 4 so far. Lesson learned: never approach a Grim Reaper to foolishly see what would happen

Vancha

So currently I am still busy with my website for indiegame development, crowdfunding projects, impressions etc. But I wish to show you guys what I have so far.

http://www.indiespotted.com/

What do you guys think? Or what do you like to see being added or removed? In the end there will also be a most popular gamepicture contest for screenshotsaturday, a contest section and if it kicks off I could be adding a forum aswell.

CRszFvh.png

That idea came up during a discussion on feedback in this thread and its an awesome idea that hopefully gets picked up by you guys. A problem even this thread seems to show, is that people still likely avoid the very unknown titles that might not have all that great looking production values. The idea someone came up with was dedicating a day to playing any of the games from the past threads that you havent played yet and post your impressions about it, be it good or bad. That way we wont forget the games from the past threads completely and it allows us to check on some other games :)

Here are the past thread links:
I recommend checking for the games in the OP rankings of the april, may, june and july threads and checking out a game high up on the ranking that you didnt get to yet, since its likely that those are among the better ones anyway.

Since Toma is enjoying being a powerful european monarch. XD

So currently I am still busy with my website for indiegame development, crowdfunding projects, impressions etc. But I wish to show you guys what I have so far.

http://www.indiespotted.com/

What do you guys think? Or what do you like to see being added or removed? In the end there will also be a most popular gamepicture contest for screenshotsaturday, a contest section and if it kicks off I could be adding a forum aswell.
Very cool. Much more professional than my recent blog (Indie Game Enthusiast). Like the page set up a lot. If you're ever looking for like a guest post or something or tips/recommendations of cool indies,I'd love to collaborate.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Since Toma is enjoying being a powerful european monarch. XD

Haha, thanks for posting. We might change that to once or twice a month though, since I feel it loses impact if we post it every week. It saw less participants each week.

And I am currently enjoying being the september thread creator. Guess I'll be busy enough for the next few days without destroying european powerhouses.

So since I had less money than I thought on XBLA, I narrowed my list down to three games:
- BLEED
- Gateways
- Qrth-phyl

I'm definitely getting BLEED (double dipping because that game is so good). Gateways has been discussed here. How is Qrth-phyl?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
So since I had less money than I thought on XBLA, I narrowed my list down to three games:
- BLEED
- Gateways
- Qrth-phyl

I'm definitely getting BLEED (double dipping because that game is so good). Gateways has been discussed here. How is Qrth-phyl?

Never heard of QRTH-phyl, but Gateways DESERVES a purchase.

Haha, thanks for posting. We might change that to once or twice a month though, since I feel it loses impact if we post it every week. It saw less participants each week.

And I am currently enjoying being the september thread creator. Guess I'll be busy enough for the next few days without destroying european powerhouses.

Changing it fir twice a month seems interesting, at least for me because usually I'm pretty busy on Wednesdays. Anyway good luck creating the new thread and until saturday I'll post my votes.

OnPoint

Good looks on that thread Fireblend

Didn't realise XNA was being used, had to install it.

The weird upgrades and descriptions are great!

Hats!
http://i.minus.com/ibvLdMNCkN2dsO.gif[/IMG

Party Time!
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/ibnodr54wTZD8p.gif

Glad you liked the game, these gifs are awesome!

- BLEED
- Gateways
- Qrth-phyl

Qrth-phyl is a really weird but enjoyable 3d Snake-like

Toma

Woah

Toribash!
Teslagrad!
Against The Wall!
Influx!
Megabyte Punch!
Zafehouse Diarea!
A Walk in the Dark!

Mutant Mudds!
Oniken!
Rawbots!
Reprisal!
!!!!!!!!
Risk of Rain!
The Plan!
Underrail!

So games like Influx, Toribash, Megabyte, that are already released and aren't betas, do they get added to the Steam store fast?

Oh, and Toma, did you know Rawbots is 9.99 on the official site and have you played Mobiloid? Also IndieGameStand is starting its own online store next month

Amazing list of games. Some worth to look imo:
  • Chroma Squad
  • Cook Serve Delicios
  • Delver
  • Delver's Drops
  • Dino Run SE
  • Escape Goat
  • Freedom Planet
  • Gray Matter
  • Legend of Iya
  • Oniken
  • Reprisal
  • Risk of Rain
  • Shantae
  • Signs of Life
  • Teslagrad
  • just check everything guys

So games like Influx, Toribash, Megabyte, that are already released and aren't betas, do they get added to the Steam store fast?
It's up to the developers and also depend on what steamworks features they want to implement in their games.

Toma

Toma why was Teleglitch not put on the list? That one was out last month.

I suspect i'll see an answer by the time next month's thread rolls around 8)

Because it already was listed as full release in april. (was it april?) I wasnt sure whether to include it again, because its still essentially the same game. And its one of those Indies that got enough attention as is, so I didnt bother including it again *shrug*.

Feel free to disagree with me though, then I might add it next month.

Edit: I am currently creating the september thread, so I am back from the dead for a few days. Currently on page 7 and I have 18/3 games for the next thread and I am noooot sure that I can squeeze all the games from this thread into the next thread.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Because it already was listed as full release in april. (was it april?) I wasnt sure whether to include it again, because its still essentially the same game. And its one of those Indies that got enough attention as is, so I didnt bother including it again *shrug*.

Feel free to disagree with me though, then I might add it next month.

I figured adding a quarter more levels and items with a total re-balancing of item distribution would be a significant enough re-release to earn merit. I don't think it's going to hurt any of the newly released indies being included but I can also see why it might set an odd precedent. To each their own.

Toma

I figured adding a quarter more levels and items with a total re-balancing of item distribution would be a significant enough re-release to earn merit. I don't think it's going to hurt any of the newly released indies being included but I can also see why it might set an odd precedent. To each their own.

Yeah, I mean according to that logic I would have needed to include Gnomoria every 2 months for all the features added :p Thats why I've so far stuck to the "first time playable" and then "full release" rule. But before that starts a low budget Indie pitchfork lynchmob , I'd rather include it next month to keep the peace ;)

TwpJkFQ.jpg

Deft Beck

Reposting from the separate thread I made, at Toma's request.

[click header image for the site]

Trailer

iAe3e4JNViaaA.gif

iMgVRXlweYgv.gif

Platform: PC
Genre: Retro-Arcade PvP Bullet-Hell Dungeon-Crawling Roguelike-lite-alike
Players: 2-4
Release Date: 2014 some time

It's too bad that it's local multi only, but the spritework is lovely.

TIGSource thread with some closer looks at the spritework.

Broforce
So happy I decided to try it out. Actually I enjoyed the Broforce browser version so much, I'm considering pre-ordering it. The pixel art is great, the action is frantic and violent, the environment destruction just adds tons of visual flair to the chaos, and the updates sound like there actually substantial and add cool stuff.

637x358.resizedimage

Freedom Fall
Okay, technically I'm playing the IOS version but this game is great. The art style is wonderful and the visual storytelling told through messages on the wall is brilliant and brings to mind that GlaDos-style dark humor. The downward-scrolling platformer idea is a lot of fun and quite challenging. If you were hesitant to get this on PC, the IOS version is only 2.99 and the controls were updated.

Fire1.png

So any GAF impressions of Broforce?

Toma

Broforce

Freedom Fall

So any GAF impressions of Broforce?

BroForce is fantastically frantic fun. Really looking forward to the full version, but I also enjoyed Freedom Fall very much which basically got totally ignored in the thread it was featured in.

I realize now that One Foul Note brought it up last night, but I just saw Kevin Levine tweet about Ironclad Tactics. It was my first time reading about it, so I watched the trailer and now I really want to play it!

I never knew I wanted a card-based steampunk civil war strategy game until now. Sadly, I've never played Spacechem, but Toma's endless praise for it gives me confidence in my excitement for this new game by the same team.

Nabs

I realize now that One Foul Note brought it up last night, but I just saw Kevin Levine tweet about Ironclad Tactics. It was my first time reading about it, so I watched the trailer and now I really want to play it!

I never knew I wanted a card-based steampunk civil war strategy game until now. Sadly, I've never played Spacechem, but Toma's endless praise for it gives me confidence in my excitement for this new game by the same team.

playspacechem

Hey, glad I got a potential opponent for when I inevitably break down and pre-order it.

Toma

playspacechem²

Toma

I dont think I can resist the preorder of their newest game.. *goes off to buy*

And Broforce is preordered. The browser version is amazing but their plans for the full release is what sold me. More vehicles, a level editor, a fort editor mode, space and aliens, etc, etc.

Top Bottom