• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [August] Now Voting - Post 937!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I'm sorry, I'm sure it has been asked thousands of times, but do I vote only on august released games?

Its in the thread title! :p And the games that released during august will be featured in the september thread.

Also, apparently the Indie gaming god wills it that I finish the next thread earlier than expected. My work tools broke and I basically have lots of time for the preparation of the next thread.

klinkcow

Neo Member
#1 with a bullet: Tessalation
Super interesting game mechanic and they committed to the aesthetic. I really dig the feel of this game and wish it was a bit longer.

Outer Wilds
This game needs to be finished, it's awesome. I can imagine the possibilities of a fully fleshed out space/planet adventure.

Against the Wall
Although the mechanic got a bit old after awhile, if the game builds the illusion of narrative and world a bit more, it could be really special.

Other likeable titles that will get my votes:
Ripple Dot Zero
Gateways
Shadowrun Returns
Frequency Domain

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I just noticed I still need to vote.

Toma

Done with the game stuff for the next thread (Post 2 and 3 basically). Any new game recommendation/release please goes into the next thread.

43/41 games respectively and, even though many games had their individual OT, the full list really looks spectacular.

Its in the thread title! :p And the games that released during august will be featured in the september thread.

Also, apparently the Indie gaming god wills it that I finish the next thread earlier than expected. My work tools broke and I basically have lots of time for the preparation of the next thread.

All praise to the Indie gaming god.

Toma

Haha, I didn't even play 4, once again. And here I was thinking I was playing a lot this last month.

You missed out! I also added the post about games that arent time intensive to post 937. I highly recommend checking out a few of those in the remaining 24-30 hours until I tally the votes.

Toma

Votes:

1000 Amps
Against the Wall
Chester
Experiment12
Gateways
Outer Wilds
Ring Runner: Flight of the Sages
Shadowrun Returns
Smooth Operator: Call Center Chaos
Tessalation

Only quick list due to time constraints, if anyone has a question about my list/voting, feel free to ask.

And yes, I voted for Smooth Operator, because its actually surprisingly good. Experiment12 is also a bit overlooked.

Toma

You got Ring Runner to work? I tried that and the installation process kept failing. Shame cos it looked like it might be rather good.

Same here. Was looking forward to playing it but it wouldn't start.

After you did the stupid XNA installs, try starting it directly from the install directory instead of the Desura launcher. When I click the Desura link for Ring Runner, it starts the XNA install again, but starting it from the game folder works.

That Pyramid album in the OP is freaking amazing

Told you ;) I probably steered a few hundred clicks to him, well deserved since I am absolutely in love with it. It just gets better on relistening too.

After you did the stupid XNA installs, try starting it directly from the install directory instead of the Desura launcher. When I click the Desura link for Ring Runner, it starts the XNA install again, but starting it from the game folder works.

Told you ;) I probably steered a few hundred clicks to him, well deserved since I am absolutely in love with it. It just gets better on relistening too.
Well in my case, either it wouldn't start or it would get to the main screen, I'd click new game, and then the game would crash.

In a perplexing fashion, I did try that but it still didn't work. It kept demanding I install XNA and then failing the installing no matter what method I tried to run the game via.

Toma

In a perplexing fashion, I did try that but it still didn't work. It kept demanding I install XNA and then failing the installing no matter what method I tried to run the game via.

There is an extra install window you need to click "Start" in once you started the XNA install. Its completely stupid, but after that extra install, it worked for me.

Anyway, sorry to hear you had these issues guys. Anyone wrote the dev a comment on Desura? Most devs got back to me there pretty quickly.

Voting:

Fran Bow
i0BjAtMgusw.gif
If you're a fan of McGee's Alice games, this is a no brainer to check out. While it's not quite going for scares and spine-chilling terror like Neverending Nightmares, this 2D point-and-click psychological horror game has a very gory trick up its sleeve. Since it's a traditional adventure game, you'll need to figure out what to do to get out of the mental hospital. For most of the puzzles, you'll have to see the world in an alternative grotesque version where dead versions of people and shadowy guardians might have more clues. If you're a fan of macabre art, you'll find a perverse joy in switching back and forth. I can't wait to see where the story goes and along with it, Fran Bow's mind.

Tessalation
In this first person time travel puzzle game, please help this blockheaded teacher through obstacles in her school.
But sometimes, a teacher needs to relax with a little B-ball.

Valdis Story
Yes, another 2D action platformer (with some RPG elements) but here the combat is much more fine-tuned with a focus on blocking, juggling, and magic. There's a bigger emphasis on story about angels, demons, and underwater cities. Honestly, it most reminded me of our own Noogy's Dust: An Elysian Tail and that most certainly isn't a bad thing. Choosing between a male and female hero with slightly different NPC dialogue is always cool. The Azudor boss battle on Hard difficulty is very much a test of skill close to that of Ninja Gaiden where you're both almost equally matched in power.

Outer Wilds
First person space exploration game, and it's awesome. Even though I suck at landing the shuttle, it was jaw-dropping doing seamless transitions from space exploring to landing on planets. Playing as alien space explorers with their own mythology is interesting. Nice to have a game purely dedicated to space exploring rather than all the strategy stuff that turns me off to those games.

Ripple Dot Zero
This has 90s action platformer stamped all over it. The momentum-based inertia, brilliant genre-hopping soundtrack, an ice-skating jetpack penguin with a sword, and that high-fi 16-bit aesthetic. There's a lot of Genesis love here. Another fantastic browser game.

1000 Amps
Much like Starseed Pilgrim and Unfinished Swan, it's a game of world discovery where you feel around the dark squared space to figure out where you can go, collecting lights along the way to complete rooms.It feels unique with a cute aesthetic and great sound design. I'm kicking myself for not having bought this earlier.

Against the Wall
It's a simple block puzzle game, but the abstract world is the star here. Once you get to the jaw-dropping city with multi-eyed trees that really just want to ram you into the wall, you know this game has something special going for it. Also, I love games where you can get to a really large height and then fall all the way down (Mirror's Edge) instead of a game-over screen in the middle.

Gateways
How many games let you play as a lab inventor type? It's basically 2D Portal, as you can see in the gifs. Also, you get to kill monkey robots in a bloody display. I just wanted to call out, best map design EVER in a Metroidvania style game. If you're stuck, there is a hint system that you pay with points and the game takes over for the solution.

Elliot Quest
It's definitely a throwback 2D metroidvania action platformer with a top-down overworld. There are many nods to Zelda and it can get quite addictive. Whether you go up and down, you want to test yourself in the world travelling. Gamer instinct might tell you that going lower will mean a harder challenge with a greater reward. But do you want to risk it when you don't know how far the next checkpoint is? I think I forgot to mention, it's a friggin' browser game!

---------------------------
It's been mostly a month for good 2D action platformers and browser games, and I ain't exactly complaining ;)

Toma

Super awesome to see people play many games this month btw andd having a rather easy time voting :) Absolutely amazing, hope you had all fun doing that!

And the gifs are highly appreciated Messofanego!

Also: Who else is looking forward to the separate Indie Games 2013 End of the Year voting result thread? ;p

There is an extra install window you need to click "Start" in once you started the XNA install. Its completely stupid, but after that extra install, it worked for me.

I'm just not seeing that window, whenever I try to start the game the XNA installer works for a second and then crashes out as a 'fatal error.' When I get the chance I will contact the dev to see if they have any tips.

Anyway, anyone see the IndieStatik up-an-coming games for September list. Some solid looking stuff coming out.
http://indiestatik.com/2013/08/30/upcoming-indie-games-september-2013/

And the gifs are highly appreciated Messofanego!

Also: Who else is looking forward to the separate Indie Games 2013 End of the Year voting result thread? ;p

Thanks! :)

Bloody hell, that'll be the toughest voting ever since all I've bought and played this year are indie games. The only retail games I've played were Metro Last Light, well shit that's it! Oh and buying Rayman Legends soon.

That Fran Bow GIF is awesome.

Definitely have to check out Valdis Story and Ripple Dot Zero now. And now I regret not getting Gateways on XBIG...

Funny story: first time I played Against The Wall, I reached the first little settlement/village, start walking and then out of nowhere that giant eye tree appears and I jumped in my seat. That was a jump scare for me

Prison Architect just got updated to Alpha 13!
The big addition is:
Escape tunnels
- Prisoners can now dig escape tunnels when they are supposed to be sleeping
- They will dig from the toilet in their cell outwards, avoiding buildings and walls as best they can
- They will tend to dig along water pipes, especially large pipes, because these make the job much quicker
- They require a digging tool stolen from somewhere in the prison, and will stash this in their cell
- Searching a prisoner or his cell whilst he is tunnelling will reveal the tunnel
- Prisoners are motivated to dig escape tunnels if they fear for their lives (dangerous prison AND non-violent inmate), or if they have a very high Freedom need, meaning they've been locked up in their cell for days

Gbraga

When can I buy Valdis Story? Didn't get a chance to back it but I've been following the development through their blog and the demo was all kinds of awesome, the combat is a lot like Darksiders II, which is fantastic and made by one of the best combat designers in the business (@verytragic)

rybrad

When can I buy Valdis Story? Didn't get a chance to back it but I've been following the development through their blog and the demo was all kinds of awesome, the combat is a lot like Darksiders II, which is fantastic and made by one of the best combat designers in the business (@verytragic)
I would be interested to know this as well. If you find out and no one posts in this thread, make sure and report back!

I would be interested to know this as well. If you find out and no one posts in this thread, make sure and report back!

And the answer is... very soon

From today's dev blog:
So, Valdis Story has been on Greenlight for 62 days and last week we broke in to top 100. Hazzah! Out of 1422 games we were # 84. If you follow greenlight news you already know that the other day Valve greenlit 100 games. It was the biggest batch they’ve ever done. Usually they only greenlight around 15 games. Even though we were in the top 100, we weren’t pushed through. However we did receive a huge jump up that top 100 list and we are now at #12. We wish we had more announcements to make on our greenlight page but as we are quickly approaching a release – the next announcement will be an available game for purchase! But hey, if you want to play it decked out with achievements + collectable cards, you can help with just one thumbs up ;D

So I've been upset about Audiosurf 2 because I preferred the ships of the original over the surfboard-esque figures of the new game, but then I saw this:

Audiosprint Mode

Now that's cool and now I can't wait for the sequel to come to Early Access

That looks like 2D Mirror's Edge...looks sweet. Loved Audiosurf.

Perspective is great, you should also check out Atum:

Atum

atum.jpg

By far, the most impressive of the three. This is the coolest thing ever! I wish there's a full game. First-person, you're in some physics dude's office and end up on your computer. It mixes a sidescrolling 2D game with the first-person 3D outside realm where you can use real-world items to interact with the 2D game. Such as bringing your lighter to some flammable cans that are an obstacle. Or using cigarette smoke to obscure a CCTV camera's beam that you need to get past. I liked that there was no overt hand-holding, just subtle clues sometimes spoken by the main character.

Very virtual reality. Similar 2D-3D experience to Perspective, that digipen student game. Although wish it wasn't just a browser game since there are some cool moments that I would have wanted to screencap or GIF.

Nabs

So I've been upset about Audiosurf 2 because I preferred the ships of the original over the surfboard-esque figures of the new game, but then I saw this:

Audiosprint Mode

Now that's cool and now I can't wait for the sequel to come to Early Access

I'm hyped.

That looks like 2D Mirror's Edge...looks sweet. Loved Audiosurf.

Perspective is great, you should also check out Atum:
There's no downloadable version? For some reason, browser Unity games always play kind of choppy for me. But I can't believe I hadn't heard of Atum before. It's such a cool concept. Played about five minutes, once again the kind of unique experience that only indies can provide

Momentary

Banned

The only games that I really got into this month that are on that list are:

Valdis Story: I still play the Demo from time to time and I'm hyped that they are releasing the game this month (August?) and that they are now currently number 12 on Greenlight. If you like combo driven action with RPG elements get this game.

Ittle Dew: Very fun puzzle game that can be grabbed up rather cheaply right now. The squiggly line art just sings to my soul for some reason.

On another note: Has there been any news on Konjak's The Iconoclasts? I know he keep his Facebook more up to date that his website, but the last update made was in July. It still seems like it's in the alpha stage. I really think that this game is gonna push him into stardom once it gets released.

You can get the 2011 and 2012 alpha tests here.

Here's a link to the most recent footage... from 10 months ago for people who haven't heard of the game yet. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZE7kGax7Ds

This is going to get my number one vote whenever it makes it on the list.

Toma

Have a question: anyone here have a blog or site? What are like average traffic numbers for small blogs/sites?
5 hits daily would already be considerably good. Its fucking impossible to get some decent traffic for blogs if you aren't among the lucky few. My free music blog currently averages at 25 daily or something, but that's after years of content and dedication to tell people about it wherever I can.

5 hits daily would already be considerably good. Its fucking impossible to get some decent traffic for blogs if you aren't among the lucky few. My free music blog currently averages at 25 daily or something, but that's after years of content and dedication to tell people about it wherever I can.
Wow, really?

My blog's been active since the 21st (so 9 days) and I've had over 1,500 total page views, with the most being 335 views on the 24th
(Hits are the same as page views, right?)

On another note: Has there been any news on Konjak's The Iconoclasts? I know he keep his Facebook more up to date that his website, but the last update made was in July. It still seems like it's in the alpha stage. I really think that this game is gonna push him into stardom once it gets released.

You can get the 2011 and 2012 alpha tests here.

Here's a link to the most recent footage... from 10 months ago for people who haven't heard of the game yet. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZE7kGax7Ds

This is going to get my number one vote whenever it makes it on the list.

Nothing yet, it's been ages.

Gbraga

Konjak updates his twitter accounts every now and then with some small teases.

It's definitely on my most anticipated list along with Monolith's X, FFXV, KH III, The Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077. The alpha was absolutely incredible. Great gameplay, visuals, level design, boss battle, characters, story, cutscenes... It was simply amazing.

rybrad

Has anyone played Drifter? I would be interested in some impressions, especially from recent beta builds. I really wish more indie games would have a small playable build you can check out before buying. I see a ton of games I think I would like but I don't want to drop $10-$15 without having a better idea so I end up buying less games than I probably would otherwise.

Has anyone played Drifter? I would be interested in some impressions, especially from recent beta builds. I really wish more indie games would have a small playable build you can check out before buying. I see a ton of games I think I would like but I don't want to drop $10-$15 without having a better idea so I end up buying less games than I probably would otherwise.

I think Toma pre ordered this game so he may have some opinions.

r3n4ud

I'll post a more detailed post in the September thread but Cornerstone looks awesome

It's Wind Waker + Dark Souls

Wow, looks great indeed :). Will be keeping my eye on this one.

------------

Just placed a preorder for Drifter, Volgarr the Viking, and Delver's Drop. Will post impressions on Drifter later this evening.

Top Bottom