• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [August] Now Voting - Post 937!

Finally downloaded and signed up on Desura. Seems to have a lot more free games than Steam, any recommended free indies? (Also, is there a way to search by price range?)

And isn't Inverto freeware already? It's 3.99 on Desura

Edit: @Toma, Survivor Squad's getting multiplayer. "In Multiplayer, one person controls the Survivor Squad and the other player controls the Infected horde."

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Finally downloaded and signed up on Desura. Seems to have a lot more free games than Steam, any recommended free indies? (Also, is there a way to search by price range?)

And isn't Inverto freeware already? It's 3.99 on Desura

Edit: @Toma, Survivor Squad's getting multiplayer. "In Multiplayer, one person controls the Survivor Squad and the other player controls the Infected horde."

Now that sounds like awesome MP. Curious to check it out.

And some free stuff on Desura:

10 min space strategy
1916 - Der Unbekannte Krieg
[REC] Shutter
A Nation of Wind
Abuse
AirMech
Alien Arena
AlterEgo
Antipodes
Battle for Wesnoth
Battlemass
Beneath a Steel Sky
Beret
Blendimals
Blogic
Bounce!
Broken Dimensions
Bullet Train
Celestial Impact
Charnel
Chromium B.S.U.
Colorful
CreepTD
Cube MetalHeart - Sauerbraten Extended
Cube-2
DDay Normandy
Dead Meets Lead
Dead Zombie Head
Deity
Dimension Jump
Dragon History
Drascula: The Vampire Strikes Back
Dwarf Fortress
Epic Inventor
ERIE
Evolution RTS
Flare
Flight of the Amazon Queen
Go Beryllium!
Hacknet
Henry Attacks
Holyspirit
I Shall Remain ("Motivated Recruit" release)
Incursion
Init. (100% off)
Insane Zombie Carnage
Invaders: Corruption
Katabasis
Lariad
Legionwood: Tale of the Two Swords
Little Weebo
Lure of the Temptress
M.A.R.S. - A Ridiculous Shooter
Magebane 2
Marble Arena 2
Mecha World
Metal Venture
Minion Master
The Mirror Lied
Monster 1
Monster RPG 2
Naev
Neverball
Neverputt
Notrium
Noxious
OGS Mahjong
One Night 2: The Beyond
One Night: Full Circle
OpenArena
OpenClonk
OpenTTD
OpenTyrian
Peekaboo
PlaneShift
Process
Puzzle Moppet
Pyxenos
Qbeh
RE: Alistair
Red Eclipse
Renegade X
Revenge of the Cats: Ethernet
Reversion
Ristorante Amore
Robot Pinball Escape
Savage XR
Savage 2
Seven Kingdoms: Ancient Adversaries
Shooting Star 2
Silver Quest
Slender's Woods
Smokin' Guns
Spacecorn
Speed Dreams
Starfire
Storybook Tactics
Stunt Rally
Super Office Stress
TANK@WAR
Teen Agent
The Ancient Mark - Episode 1
The Briefcase
The Kite
The Tower (100% off)
Total Devastation 3 - The Final Game
Tremulous
TripleA
Two Shields
UFO Alien Invasion
Unlimited Attraction
Urban Terror
Vega Strike
Vertigo
Vroom!
Vulture for Nethack
Wake Up Call [Surrealist]
Warlock's Gauntlet
Warsow
Warzone 2100
Wave Race
Wazzal
Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory
World of Padman
Wrestling MPire
Xonotic
You Have to Name the Expansion Pack
Zero Ballistics
Zombie Grinder

Or you could try this (not mine):
Hi, i've written a little javascript code to obtain the complete list of desura free games directly from desura.

This is the code:

Code:
code:
$('body')
    .css('background', 'white')
    .css('text-align', 'left')
    .css('padding', '40')
    .html("These is the complete list of all Desura free games:")

var n = 0;
for (i = 1; i < 400; i++) {

$.post("http://www.desura.com/games/ajax/featured", {
        "sitearea": "games",
            "type": "popular",
            "page": i
    },

function (r) {
        var d = jQuery.parseJSON(r);
        if(d.row.length == 0)  
            window.stop();
        $.each(d.row, function () {
            if (this.appavailabletext == 'Free') {
                n++;
                $('body').append('' + n + '. <a href="' + this.profile_url + '">' + this.name + '</a>')
            }
        })
    })
}
How to use:
1. open chrome an go to Desura.com
2. open chrome developer tools (CTRL + SHIFT + J)
3. paste the code in the console

The page will change listing all desura free games.
Off course the code will work untill desura changes something ;)

Nillansan

The demo was super easy, some people missed that they can use the documents, but it really wasnt an issue. Curious to see whether the full game will be more challenging.

The Steam release will include various 'Endless' modes, but I am not sure if they are adding anything else.

Oh my I am gonna try that script on Desura later. :)

Is Celestial Mechanica on Desura? I know that went free not too long ago.
It's short but I really liked it. Great style.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Any chance you can re-post your write-up about it?

Sure:

Played a bit more of Survivor Squad and that game is ace. It has a few technical issues that caught me off guard. While its not a beta anymore, the game still has quite a few bugs and glitches. I hope the devs gets to iron those out sometime. That being said, none were game breaking at least.

SurvivorSquad_SS10.jpg
What-one-of-the-randomly-generated-maps-can-look-like.png

Gameplay:

The game has a few different modes (the others are the survival variant without any save I guess) and the main mode basically has you scouring randomized buildings with your squad to find additional people that you can save, kill zombies and find loot. Loot itself is needed to build bases in freed cities, craft weapons and healing items and to get better blueprints to build, which gives a great incentive to go out and play another level for a few good items.

Once you've chosen a location, you have 1-4 squad members with you that you can order individually or as teams which allows for some rather clever positioning that WILL be needed if you want to cover your flanks for incoming zombies. The beginning seems to be very challenging as you dont have the luxury of too many fire weapons, and even then, fire weapons attract unwanted attention, and a mob of zombies seems to be quite deadly in this game.

Slightly buggy, frantic, fun, tactical and exciting. One of the gems of the current month. There is a free demo on Desura which I urge you to try!

And a different opinion by Twinduct:

Really enjoyed it, but the game tapped out it's fun half way through for me. Nothing new just more and more of the same. After the midway point it became pointless to even try a multi heart stage. Standing still and endlessly killing the unlimited amount of zombies was not fun. Hell I once left the game running for 4 hours since a stage glitched out a heart and moved it to a spot I can't touch. Just an endless stream of zombies and their fucking spawn rate didn't decrease so it was a constant firefight.

The last mission is also completely horseshit.

But yeah enjoyed the game and don't regret buying it. But won't touch it again ... unless they update it with some meaningful content.

Have not tried MP, but can't imagine it adds that much (for me ofcourse).
Didn't really get into the rest as the score one was basically story-less campaign and highlights the issues with the spawn system even more.

The deathlab was fun, but felt that no matter how well you manage your team, once you get the endless spawns it's kinda over.

In the campaign I ended up quick-saving before every missions as any multi-heart stage became pointless, even with a maxed out crew with turrets and etc.

Had to turn off the volume once the endless spawn came. Sounded like a glitched sound effect :p

Maybe I just ran into a buggy build? I mean the endless spawns was game breaking and the only way I could move forward was to reload and hope it's not a heart stage.

(Then again the same issue is found in Warframe when you play solo ... really do hate the cheap mechanic of just doing an overwhelming endless spawn to make a game tougher)

Toma

HOW CAN YOU NOT STAND FAIRY BLOOM FREESIA'S STYLE??? TT_TT

It just looks so horribly bland and generic to me:

Reminds me a bit of Chantelise in 2D, which I had similar issues with (but Chantelise also had pretty boring MMO style gameplay. Definitely not even near the class of Recettear.):

Fireblend

Banned
I've been playing FLY'N lately and I'm generally enjoying it. I do find it a tad easier than I would like, but I'm expecting the difficulty to ramp up eventually since I really am not that far into it. Very pretty game, it does remind me a lot of Rayman Origins.

Also, I totally regret not getting PID during the last sale. I guess I'll wait for the next one to grab it, August is Spelunky/Guacamelee/Papers, Please month :D

And finally, Shelter looks so. damn. good. I can already tell it's a game I'm going to fall in love with.

Toma

I've been playing FLY'N lately and I'm generally enjoying it. I do find it a tad easier than I would like, but I'm expecting the difficulty to ramp up eventually since I really am not that far into it. Very pretty game, it does remind me a lot of Rayman Origins.

Also, I totally regret not getting PID during the last sale. I guess I'll wait for the next one to grab it, August is Spelunky/Guacamelee/Papers, Please month :D

And finally, Shelter looks so. damn. good. I can already tell it's a game I'm going to fall in love with.

Pid is amazing. I need to splurge it all over GAF during the next sale.

CrunchingKoalas

Neo Member
Cross-posting from the Greenlight thread.

Once again thanks! My name's Tom and I'm one of the Crunching Koalas.

The game can be easily described as a cross between Lemmings and Tetris, with some crazy cartoon-steampunk style graphics:

mousecraft_screen1.jpg

If anyone would like to get more details about the game, here's the website: http://mouse-craft.com, some say it's worth going inside just for the falling mouse ;).

You can also watch the launch video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2bQ-Y_h-DQ&yt:cc=on (sorry for the barbaric english language of our Art Director)

The Alpha version is indeed free, you can get it by signing up for our Beta Program: http://crunchingkoalas.com/betaprogram

If you like the game, you can support it's creation and give us as much as you feel the final game is worth: http://get.mouse-craft.com
You will get the full game when development is complete along with all the extra content: soundtrack (composed by our friend who scored Dark Souls 2 announcement trailer)

Also, we are obviously on Greenlight - all the votes will be deeply appreciated: http://greenlight.mouse-craft.com

Cheers,
Tom - Crunching Koalas

I also regret not buying it. I'll wait for a sale or maybe get it next month with Spelunky. This month I'm planning to get Skullgirls.

Now that sounds like awesome MP. Curious to check it out.

And some free stuff on Desura:

Or you could try this (not mine):
Thanks. At least Desura has quality free games that aren't MP or MMOs

About Survivor Squad, is the version on Desura the finished version or is it still being developed? Curious, because I'm doing a trade for it on Reddit.

Toma

Thanks. At least Desura has quality free games that aren't MP or MMOs

About Survivor Squad, is the version on Desura the finished version or is it still being developed? Curious, because I'm doing a trade for it on Reddit.

He is currently working on an MP and improvements update (as you said yourself), not sure what he else plans on for the game afterwards.

Gbraga

I already own Bientôt l'été, but I still have no idea of what it's about, I guess I should get to it soon.

How long is it? Does it have controller support?

Once again thanks! My name's Tom and I'm one of the Crunching Koalas.

The game can be easily described as a cross between Lemmings and Tetris, with some crazy cartoon-steampunk style graphics:

mousecraft_screen1.jpg

If anyone would like to get more details about the game, here's the website: http://mouse-craft.com, some say it's worth going inside just for the falling mouse ;).

You can also watch the launch video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2bQ-Y_h-DQ&yt:cc=on (sorry for the barbaric english language of our Art Director)

The Alpha version is indeed free, you can get it by signing up for our Beta Program: http://crunchingkoalas.com/betaprogram

If you like the game, you can support it's creation and give us as much as you feel the final game is worth: http://get.mouse-craft.com
You will get the full game when development is complete along with all the extra content: soundtrack (composed by our friend who scored Dark Souls 2 announcement trailer)

Also, we are obviously on Greenlight - all the votes will be deeply appreciated: http://greenlight.mouse-craft.com

Cheers,
Tom - Crunching Koalas

I had already voted for it! The game looks beautiful and I like the idea behind it.

CrunchingKoalas

Neo Member
I had already voted for it! The game looks beautiful and I like the idea behind it.

Thanks! It will be really hard to push this game to Steam, because of its genre, so we really appreciate every possitive feedback and all the upvotes.

PS. I think I forgot to mention there's an awesome level editor inside the game: http://youtu.be/TFiBm4CtNM4 . I feel we really got it right - anyone who's into making their own levels should be satisfied.

Cheers,
Tom

So i tried the Crypt Run demo, it is essentially a less polished binding of issac. The gameplay and mechanics are identical and it looks to be made in flash (which is not a good thing). That being said if it gets more polished and its cheap, I could see myself checking it out. I did spend 70 hours on binding of isaac.

Acccent

Hi! I'm officially planting a flag in the Indie thread. It was long overdue.

I just discovered Valdis Story Abyssal City - gosh, this looks stupendous!

Tak3n

Banned
Just a reminder megabyte punch is released in a few hour. I recommend you try the demo which is a download from desura.

The demo impressed me no end if you like a smash bros game play style.

Have a key for Painkiller Black, not sure if I should redeem it or use it to trade

They may have made Bulletstorm and be working with Epic now, but I'd say People Can Fly and Painkiller was niche/indie-esque back in 2004

Burt

Just a reminder megabyte punch is released in a few hour. I recommend you try the demo which is a download from desura.

The demo impressed me no end if you like a smash bros game play style.

I second this. It's an awesome game. I don't know how why it isn't blowing up more.

Tak3n

Banned
I second this. It's an awesome game. I don't know how why it isn't blowing up more.

it is crazy at times, you get some decidely average indie games get crazy popular, then this game which has been in development for 3 years, and is close to AAA quality, goes under the limelight...

It could be because of no online MP I suppose, but I agree with them that it is not needed as the local MP has no link together (unless you chose to) so playing with a random would essentially be pointless....

I hope it does really well, but it may take for it to be GL on steam to really take off

Toma

it is crazy at times, you get some decidely average indie games get crazy popular, then this game which has been in development for 3 years, and is close to AAA quality, goes under the limelight...

It could be because of no online MP I suppose, but I agree with them that it is not needed as the local MP has no link together (unless you chose to) so playing with a random would essentially be pointless....

I hope it does really well, but it may take for it to be GL on steam to really take off

The overall art style is not quite made out to be popular enough. Cant put my finger on it, but I doubt it will ever take off, no matter how good it plays. First impressions are hugely important and the screenshots are doing a poor job of showcasing the game.

Tak3n

Banned
The overall art style is not quite made out to be popular enough. Cant put my finger on it, but I doubt it will ever take off, no matter how good it plays. First impressions are hugely important and the screenshots are doing a poor job of showcasing the game.

I agree and you make a good point, as when I first laid eyes on it on Desura, the screenshot was poor, and they list it as £17.99 instead of £9.99...

so as you say first impressions, it may be one of those games that simply flies under the radar...

here is a nice take on it from kotaku.com

If you’ve recently found yourself craving an adventure game in the style of Super Smash Bros. Brawl, developer Reptile Games predicted your need ages ago and has spent its time preparing a fix. Sure, it’s more likely Dion Koster and Tim Remmers, the creators of Megabyte Punch, have no prophetic abilities at all, but holy heck, they’ve done a bang-up job making the perfect game for you anyway.

While Megabyte Punch has immediate similarities with Nintendo’s popular arena beat-em-up, it differentiates itself by packing a proper story mode, complete with RPG elements. You can customise your robot fighter, be it giving them a new paint job to adding upgraded weapons from parts scavenged from defeated foes (including a “devastating pelvic thrust attack“, if you’re so inclined).

Levels also appear very destructible, providing another unpredictable element to combat.

For co-op fans, the campaign mode allows up to four players to battle their way through Megabyte Punch‘s six levels and their various boss fights. And, of course, it has a free-for-all mode if you just want to smash some dudes.

Multiplayer is local only, though that’s not unusual given it’s the type of game the benefits immensely from a social environment in which one can quickly deliver the appropriate burn to his or her fellow players.

I gotta admit that I got Megabyte Punch an age ago in one of those bundles and I found it, although nice in idea, unbelievably dull with very simplistic level design and gameplay. Although with more then one person on this thread being quite passionate about it and it being on the OP, I'll have to give it another go soon. Hopefully I was just being especially grouchy when I first played it and it ends up being rather good.

Toma

I gotta admit that I got Megabyte Punch an age ago in one of those bundles and I found it, although nice in idea, unbelievably dull with very simplistic level design and gameplay. Although with more then one person on this thread being quite passionate about it and it being on the OP, I'll have to give it another go soon. Hopefully I was just being especially grouchy when I first played it and it ends up being rather good.

I had the same initial impressions after playing it a year ago or something, but that probably was still in Alpha stage. I am sort of hoping they improved it a lot since then.

Tak3n

Banned
I had the same initial impressions after playing it a year ago or something, but that probably was still in Alpha stage. I am sort of hoping they improved it a lot since then.

according to desura, even the Demo is an outdated version, but they will be releasing a "new" version of the Demo with the game tomorrow...

There seems to of been a lot of updates, but it could be a marmite game

11.5 is the final one before release

We uploaded the latest version of Megabyte Punch. The version number is 11.5 and you probably won't see a lot of differences with the previous update since most of it is under the hood. We fixed a silly color bug that was only noticeable when you installed the game for the first time with Update 11. We also added some AI fight mode behavior they are a bit less suicidal now. The HUD is a bit more subtle and dynamically scales to your screen resolution. We also added 5 new parts that are currently only available in the part store. You can find the full list of changes below.

Tak3n

Banned

What they need to do is add some difficulty, as my 5 year old did the demo on his own

Doorways
Site | Greenlight | Trailer

Doorways is a first person survival horror game, with a complex story and a deep atmosphere.

Each level of the game will challenge you with dynamic gameplay and distinct visuals and sounds.

If you like the horror genre, you are in for a treat.
Prepare to immerse yourself in augmenting pyschological terror and brace for jump-scares.

If you are into puzzle-ridden adventures, you're definitely going to like Doorways challenges: from simple mind puzzles to timed and agility demanding situations, each level or scene in the game presents to you a different gameplay obstacle to overcome.

And if you are a hardcore "unlocker", this game has several secret places, collectible artifacts and hidden notes that engross your understanding of the back story and grant achievements for you to hunt!

doorways_wallpaper_01.jpg

637x358.resizedimage

Toma

Anyone try out Hammerwatch? There's a beta, but I haven't had a chance to try it out.

It's a 4p coop ARPG that's coming to Steam this month. Demo and info here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=122788084 You can pick it up for 8 bucks on their site ($24 for a 4-pack).

637x358.resizedimage

637x358.resizedimage

Yeah we had it in the april thread or something. It was simple minded fun, but it barely had any actual content because the random levels felt really barren. Not sure what they added in the meantime but after playing the beta for one hour, there was absolutely no incentive to play more of it.

was this posted here already?

paranautical activity
binding of isaac crossed with doom
hnnnng

I've been playing it off and on for a couple of months now. Really fun and it's so frustrating to get a useless weapon, haha.

I remember a month or two back how they wanted to pull the game off of Greenlight because Adult Swim was interested in publishing it on Steam, but Valve wouldn't allow it because they said they had to be approved through Greenlight since that is where they started. It's a mess.

Top Bottom