• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie games "backslash" having actual impact on Sony's marketing?

I think Sony has started to rely on indies as their free games. Don't get me wrong I love indie games, but throw a big title along side them.

Agreed, but hell I think we're getting better support than I ever would have expected before last year's E3. If you told me I'd boot up my PS4 to higher res copies of Flow and Flower for no added cost and that a large deal of indies would be making PS4/PS Vita cross buy games I wouldn't have believed you.

Getting the ps4 version of guacamelee for £2 for just having the ps3 plus version was awesome. Thank you drinkbox!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Here you go:

imageedit_1_529998718whyci.jpg

Well played.

impact

Banned
I think it's healthy to have a balance between indies and AAA titles on PS+, and in general.

People who complain need to be quiet and actually try the games before they make a quick judgement
lol

There's no balance. Its literally all indies.

RedSwirl

People bought their new $400 console a few months too early. Great AAA games that actually take advantage of the PS4's hardware aren't really going to start showing up until this fall and early 2015. That's how it is for all consoles in the first months after launch. It's just that now Sony can fill in the caps by letting some indie games in.

Sir TapTap

lol

There's no balance. Its literally all indies.

There's been a lot of AAA published games on PS+. Unless you're talking PS4 exclusively (no other console has had PS+ *at launch* by the way, and AAA offerings are ALWAYS old), which has still had Strider, and Housemarque games are sort of on the edge of indie.

Getting the ps4 version of guacamelee for £2 for just having the ps3 plus version was awesome. Thank you drinkbox!

Really, how's that work? Wasn't sure if they could do stuff like that.

DOWN

Banned
Ps+ is a premium service and indie isn't premium to me. I own a bunch of indies now and none have ever measured up to AAA for me. There's no indie that rivals BioShock or The Last of Us for me.

Son Of D

I think Sony has started to rely on indies as their free games. Don't get me wrong I love indie games, but throw a big title along side them.

I doubt we'll see a retail title on PS+ until either November this year (1 year after PS4 launched) or early in 2015.

Sir TapTap

Is Drive Club still going to be a PS+ game?

It's got a PS+ "lite" version. All trophies achievable, but way less cars, forget what else it doesn't have. Minor digital discount ($10 off?) on the real thing if you have PS+.

Edit:

Ps+ is a premium service and indie isn't premium to me. I own a bunch of indies now and none have ever measured up to AAA for me. There's no indie that rivals BioShock or The Last of Us for me.

PS+ has literally always had indie titles and old AAA. Ignoring "indie isn't premium to me", AAA titles on plus have basically always been old, underperforming or loaded with DLC to upsell, often more than one at the same time. It's $50 a YEAR, they're not going to give multiple $60 brand new games that would actually hit sales targets.

DOWN

Banned
PS+ has literally always had indie titles and old AAA. Ignoring "indie isn't premium to me", AAA titles on plus have basically always been old, underperforming or loaded with DLC to upsell, often more than one at the same time. It's $50 a YEAR, they're not going to give multiple $60 brand new games that would actually hit sales targets.

Except many of us miss out on a bunch of mid to high caliber releases in the past year or two. That's why people like PS+ games on PS3. Many people missed out on Hitman Absolution, Arkham City, and so on. They are still definitely valued games, and for (less than usually) $50 a year, you get at least a few titles you gladly add to your library or wanted a digital copy of.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
AAA games aren't good at quickly filling out under served genres, which is why indies are more important during the first few years of a console's life, not less important. If all you play is AAA then the current gen consoles aren't going to have a lot to offer right now, free games or not.

The indie backlash is maybe another avenue for that frustration.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
If there were zero "indie" titles on PS4 there would be very little at all in its first year. And to be realistic, Sony was never going to negotiate getting like, Battlefield 4 as a free game only six months after it came out. Indie games aren't replacing what might have been free AAA games people would have otherwise been offered.

So if ire is going to be directed at Sony, it should be directed at them for games like Driveclub being endlessly delayed. Not for the existence of indie titles.

Experien

Velocity looks decent the first two times it was released on PSN. I'm done with that game.

But I would say indie is going to hurt Sony if they don't start having big games coming out. You don't buy a PS4 for indie games cause otherwise, why wouldn't you get a PC?

You mean "backlash." Also, it's a moot issue if you ask me. There are some people that only want to play huge blockbuster games. That's always been the case. They're annoyed that PS+ for PS4 hasn't offered any titles that suit their tastes, but at the same time the system is NEW. These are simply uninformed or insane individuals.

Most of the PS Blog entries about a specific game are written by one of the developers of that game. And yeah, someone who works at Sony is going to make sure that you're not spewing out racial slurs but otherwise they tend to let you do what you want with your articles (hence the tone from article to article can vary quite a bit depending on the developer).

FranXico

It is a true tragedy the state of many gamers disposition toward indie games.

I think that part of the anti-indie sentiment was also spread by fans of a certain console that had a very limited selection of indie games early in the generation.

Now that more indie games are coming out on that console, they will surely enjoy them more.

Top Bottom