• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [December] Now Voting - Post 741!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
4hW7ix3.gif

Voting thread up!
Link to the Voting Thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=734961

In short:
Rank your top 20 PC Indie Games you played last year (check the previous monthly threads if you want to remember what we played here), feel free to give the same rank to multiple games, like:
Code:
1. Game XY
2. Game ÖZ
2. Game GA
2. Game XD
5. Game XT
6. Game HT

Feel free to include a second list with the ranks 21-50 in the same manner, but the second list is not needed for the voting.

Also, make sure to post about why you think certain games deserve the votes, to convince others to try a game or to remind them of a certain game. We covered ~500 games last year, so its easy to miss one or two great ones. I would also suggest subscribing to the voting thread to be informed about others writing up their impressions/why this game was awesome-posts.

No indies are safe when bloodthirsty Indie GAF members are at work!

This would be a cool contest, guessing which game someone has in mind, found in the previous threads. The one who wins would choose another game and so on.

Uh, you know.. there was this one game... comic style... where you alter the character positions to TELL a different STORY...

Wok

I thought the "TELL STORY" part gave it away that I was just joking about forgetting the name again :p

But yeah, i was referring to Storyteller, but Framed is the same concept.

Actually, last time we mentioned Storyteller, I thought it was Framed.

Finally got Rymdkaspel, been playing for about three hours now, absolutely loving it. You really have to plan out your base well, be wary of the wave timer and defense coverage

Game is quite challenging, still haven't been able to fully research the first monolith yet but I'm getting better at building more efficient bases. That's the kind of subtle progress I like. My best game was 53 minutes, but my guys were too spread out and then we got destroyed

Rymdkapsel is coming to Steam and PC in January with new modes and content

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Happy new year everyone :) As a special present, the january thread will take a bit longer because I couldnt get shit done over the past few days.

Won't be on at midnight, so happy New Years, everyone. Thanks for the great times on GAF, and for introducing me to so many great games. It's been a great year and I can't wait to see what 2014 brings.

Very big 1080p battle GIF for the upcoming game Wayward Terran Frontier
http://www.wtfrontier.com/images/massive battle.gif

Wayward Terran Frontier - Free alpha (PC now, Mac & Linux later)
realtimedestruct.gif
insideships.gif

http://www.wtfrontier.com/
Alpha here

FTL and Dwarf Fortress have a baby, with multiplayer! The world will be as dynamic and malleable as I can make it, but it won't just be a sandbox that lets you build your own ships and space stations.

At it's core it will be a space captain RPG with a strong emphasis on exploration and character building. As in any space ship RPG, customizing and upgrading your ship will be central to the character development. In Wayward Terran Frontier I have taken it a step further by basing ship design on a tile-based system of modules and components. You design every single pixel of your ship from modules.

Finally got Rymdkaspel, been playing for about three hours now, absolutely loving it. You really have to plan out your base well, be wary of the wave timer and defense coverage

Game is quite challenging, still haven't been able to fully research the first monolith yet but I'm getting better at building more efficient bases. That's the kind of subtle progress I like. My best game was 53 minutes, but my guys were too spread out and then we got destroyed

Rymdkapsel is coming to Steam and PC in January with new modes and content

I rather enjoyed that too. Played through it on my android device though. I get an odd kick out of any resource based strat that you can see all the resources being actually carried around in an ant farm styleie and Rym is basically an entire game based around that.

Toma

Cities in Motion 2 is currently on a flash sale for another 6 hours for 5$. Gets a thumbs up from me.

Toma

You guys check out Indie Statik's 100 Most Anticipated Indie Games of 2014?

Some really neat games are hoping to be released this year. Personally, I can't wait for Cuphead and The Escapists. Going to be another great year for indies :)

Regarding Indies and Release Dates, I adopted the "I believe it when its actually out"-stance.

Wok

Regarding Indies and Release Dates, I adopted the "I believe it when its actually out"-stance.

I thought one could figure out whether a release date is a wild guess given by the dev (Gorogoa, Contrast) or whether it is a bit more solid. After The Witness and Escape Goat 2 were postponed, I now think we cannot trust release dates at all.

r3n4ud

No doubt about that Toma. If you look at their list of 2013 anticipated indies, some are not out yet, and are included in the 2014 list...

You guys check out Indie Statik's 100 Most Anticipated Indie Games of 2014?

Some really neat games are hoping to be released this year. Personally, I can't wait for Cuphead and The Escapists. Going to be another great year for indies :)
My wallet is starting to cry. So many good games

This game is fantastic. I'm beta testing it, and if you enjoyed Fez, you will love Monument Valley

Okay, my most anticipated from that list:
Cuphead
SCALE
Paradise Lost
Thumper
Escape Goat 2
Rain World
Ghost Song
Deios
Oblitus
Witchmarsh
The Forest
Riot
NaissanceE
Distance
Gods Will Be Watching
Hotline MIami 2
Below
Cloudbuilt
Apotheon
Quadrilateral Cowboy
Galactic Princess
Hyper Light Drifter
Catacomb Kids
Also Dex, Rex Rocket, Edgar, Claire, and SuperHOT

Damn, 2014 is going to be a good year for indies

daydream

Banned
Oh...Deios has a demo.

Downlink link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5108221/dEIOSB__g.zip

Impressions later (or should I save that for the January thread?)

We talked about it two or so months ago when it came out. It is glorious.

Do not miss RIP from this month's OP when you're done. It's a collab consisting of two games and one of them is by the RIP guy, Barch (the other by the 'Lioness' dude). It's sitting in my top 20 now which you could probably figure out by the reaction in my impressions post.

We talked about it two or so months ago when it came out. It is glorious.

Do not miss RIP from this month's OP when you're done. It's a collab consisting of two games and one of them is by the RIP guy, Barch (the other by the 'Lioness' dude). It's sitting in my top 20 now which you could probably figure out by the reaction in my impressions post.

It was in one of the previous thread.
Late to the party, woo hoo! Somehow missed the demo
Yes the art and envronments are stunning, in a weird gritty-textured kind of way.

Been playing Catacomb Kids too. This could be the next Spelunky. It's only 0.0.1 but already the controls are tight, there's great depth, the world is layered and reactive, and it's challenging. It's far more "roguelike" than platformer, compared to something like Towerclimb or even Spelunky, in terms of tactics and gameplay. You need to be cautious and careful, watch out for traps and be wary of the environment.

alllen

Neo Member
sure did take them awhile to release that. I don't see any indication of online multiplayer? would be unfortunate if they went all this time without implementing that.

Is Nidhogg MP only or is it like Samurai Gunn, where you fight the computer?

I've read many cases where they've said there will be netplay along with local multiplayer, but I do not know the specifics of what that entails. I hope you can play in an online version of the tournament mode in the video. I'm not sure if there is a mode to play with AI only, though.

Catacomb Kids impressions:

Okay, this game is addicting. For an early alpha, it feels very polished. Controls are simple and tight, arrow keys to move, z,x,c for various actions, a,s,d to use magic.

There are two modes to choose from: the main game and Versus. In the main roguelike mode, you choose from a number of classes (only two of six are in right now.) Bully is the brute class, start with higher strength but lower defense; Poet is the magic class, start with higher magic but lower strength. Then you choose from a randomized characters in each class, each with positive and negative traits (stealthy, loud footsteps, weak swimmer, etc.) and different starting equipment.

After you choose, you enter the Catacombs, and like true roguelike fashion, the goal is to descend as far as possible, level up, and survive. Now CK has some features and mechanics that differ from other games. Killing enemies doesn't give you XP or anything like that. To level up, you need to find the Orb of Leveling on each level, usually in tough room.

Now the gameplay is where Catacomb Kids shines, even in such an early state. Compared to Spelunky or Rogue Legacy, Catacombs Kids is all about careful exploration and smart planning. Platforming is a means to an end, rather than the focus. Your character is very agile, able to roll, hang from edges, crawl along the ground, swim. Finding spellbooks allow you to choose a spell to learn, from flight to teleporting, fire wave to plague, force blasts to enhanced speed. Mana recharges slowly and each spell costs a certain amount to use, so you need to plan how to best your weapons and magic. More often than not, it's better to avoid conflict, and you can distract enemies, avoid their line of sight, and do sneak attacks.

What makes Catacomb Kids feel so fun is how reactive the world is; as the trailer and gameplay videos had shown, you can use the environment to your advantage in unique and cool ways. Knock down a torch to burn enemies without getting close, or throw a poisonous mushroom into a pool to kill the piranha inside. Lure enemies into traps, or throw rocks to reveal a trap's location.

All that, and I haven't even touched on Versus mode yet. Here, you select a randomized character and then three spells. You can fight another player or the computer in a number of different arenas, and it's just hectic addictive fun, There's a ton of strategy in combining magic, countering different spells, using the environment to your advantage, and more.

Edit: oh, and you can eat enemy corpses for health. Just remember which you poisoned first before chowing down

rybrad

Delver is a flash deal for 70% off right now. I have been really impressed with how the dev has been handling early access and making substantial improvements to the game with the funds. While the game still has a ways to go I would say it is worth it if you like first person dungeon crawling roguelike(likes). The game can be a bit on the easy side thanks to a broken item but that should be fixed up before release.

Lestac - €4.00/~$5.50 (PC, Mac, Linux)
shot3-640.jpg

http://lestac.net/

Lestac is a 2D exploration game for Windows, Linux, and Mac available now in Early Access [itch.io, not Steam]. New content gets added in regular updates. While it is not as focused on killing as other games, its large environments and original soundtrack makes for a peaceful and soul-searching experience.
IndieStatik article

Fantastic Reddit thread about Catacomb Kids
http://www.reddit.com/r/CatacombKid...cial_findings_thread_share_the_small_details/

I'll single out some of my favorites:
- You can create a flaming whirlwind by firing a flame spell at it. Very useful for crowd control!
- If you start burning, your spell book may turn to a crisp and become unusable.
- You can eat your own severed limb
- Haste lets you run across the surface of water. Ice Blast freezes water
- You can boil potions and make them fill the air. This is particularly useful for beneficial potions, as you can get their effects to last longer. Boil that regeneration potion and you'll be able to get regen, go into a fight, and then hop back to the regen cloud and get the effect again.
- Lightning will hurt anything wet, including yourself.
- Standing in front of fire sources dries you off really quick
- Breaking a potion spills its contents on the floor, and affects the player if it touches it (and presumably anything else it touches).

Toma

Top Bottom