• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [March] Now Voting - Post 774!

Is Césure meant to run like poop. I can't get it to move above like 15-20fps, even on the lowest settings. But the final thing is more like a virtual sculpture then a game so it doesn't 100% matter. I enjoyed it though, has a profound level of loneliness conveyed across the entire thing.

Has anyone played Driftmoon?

I'm already mid-RPG at the moment so not in a rush to start another one yet but it looks intriguingly old-school.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Is Césure meant to run like poop. I can't get it to move above like 15-20fps, even on the lowest settings. But the final thing is more like a virtual sculpture then a game so it doesn't 100% matter. I enjoyed it though, has a profound level of loneliness conveyed across the entire thing.

I definitely enjoyed that feeling as well. When I reached the bottom of the big structure, it felt really oppressing and my first instinct was to swim away to a light I am seeing a bit farther away.

And it runs poorly on my laptop as well, but I'll try it on my big PC later and I'll see how it goes.

Has anyone played Driftmoon?

I'm already mid-RPG at the moment so not in a rush to start another one yet but it looks intriguingly old-school.

I'd be interested in that as well! Quite a few seem to like it.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Shoutout for Bridge IT being available for $0,25 for the next 80 hours:
bridgeit_001.jpg
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=519309

I definitely enjoyed that feeling as well. When I reached the bottom of the big structure, it felt really oppressing and my first instinct was to swim away to a light I am seeing a bit farther away.

Yeah, I wonder if that is what the tiny creatures in Darwinia see as I send them to their doom.

That Aztez game is definitely one to watch. I was drawn originally cos I have a bit of a love for games with that kind of art style. But the development blog is full of articles that dissects game mechanics of other beat-em-ups in fairly clinical levels. If the finished game reflects that attention to detail it could be something real special.

Corto

I finally caved in and bought today Cypher, a cyberpunk text adventure recommended by Pylon_Trooper. It feels like a very polished game and with a lot of attention to details including a very thorough manual, the soundtrack and digital freebies to contextualize the story. I'll start it today to reminisce of the good ole days of text adventures and then post some feedback.

Cypher (Win/MAC - standard edition for $14.99)

By6PPbU.jpg

Toma

I finally caved in and bought today Cypher, a cyberpunk text adventure recommended by Pylon_Trooper. It feels like a very polished game and with a lot of attention to details including a very thorough manual, the soundtrack and digital freebies to contextualize the story. I'll start it today to reminisce of the good ole days of text adventures and then post some feedback.

Cypher (Win/MAC - standard edition for $14.99)

By6PPbU.jpg

Awesome! Cant wait for impressions. The last time I played one is a long time ago (if you dont count depression quest).

Toma

Just played Off for about an hour. While its refreshing quirky and the puzzles are really cute, there doesnt seem to be much exploratory going on. Its basically just a bunch of corridors strung together by some story/character interactions. I mean the setting feels very original, but I was hoping for a bit more wackiness in terms of gameplay other than the standard RPG battle system and run-of-the-mill corridor walking.

Is there anything else I should continue playing for?

Sure thing, looks interesting :) Like your cheerful artstyle. Your Kickstarter seems to be well on his way though. Best of luck!

Thanks! I think it'll make it, but it's slowed down in the past couple of days so you never know. I know I'll be a lot happier once it reaches $12,001!

Ha Ha! Sadly Unity doesn't support Vita, and I've got my hands full already!

Re: Cypher. It has a bit of a finicky and stiff language parser and be quite pedantic about symbols and word arrangement...but it's pretty damn awesome. Pretty damn awesome indeed.

Toma

Re: Cypher. It has a bit of a finicky and stiff language parser and be quite pedantic about symbols and word arrangement...but it's pretty damn awesome. Pretty damn awesome indeed.

Curious, which games of the OP did you try?

Toma

Glitch - A first person arena shooter with block graphics and an evolving arena.
https://www.digipen.edu/?id=1170&proj=1470
Glitch_game.jpg

Check out the Youtube vid, the art style is pretty nice and even though the game is very simplistic, the evolving arena is preeeetty cool (Or just download the 20MB file to not get spoiled and see for yourself):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KJJsczOYxE

Just tried it, and its actually really fun (although heavily motion sickness enducing). The changing arena is suuuper trippy but they had some really awesome ideas for it (see the first boss at level 5).

Only managed to get to level 9 so far (out of 25).

Toma

Alright, I took a good look at the last 2-3 months of released Desura games and cherry picked a few titles that look promising. Help me find out whether there is a gem here! Some look really promising and almost all have demos somewhere.

Post 1:

Private Infiltrator - Stealth game

Dominions 3 - Turn Based Strategy game with 500 different units, 600 spells and 300 magic items.

Underrail - Fallout style isometric RPG

Henry Attacks - [free] Paper Mario style 3d shenanigans - sidescrolling shooter

Waking Mars - Sidescrolling Exploration game/Shooter

Drox Operative - A starship action RPG with warring alien races, fierce space battles, a dynamic, evolving galaxy, and co-op multiplayer.

UFHO2 Alpha - UFHO2 is a competitive turn-based game of wits. Half strategy, half board game, all fun.

Toma

Post 2:

Edge of Space - Terraria with more crazy stuff going on.

Richard & Alice - A mystery story about family, desperation and the weather, set to the beat of an indie adventure game.
Darkout - A pretty 2D survival game

Go Beryllium! - [free]Bullet Hell shmup with a setting on an atomic scale.

ASA : A Space Adventure
- Looks a bit like a myst game in space

Claustrophobia: The Downward Struggle - One of the 1000 Random roguelikes on Desura that all have a 9+ rating

Toma

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Thanks for the Desura links Toma. I'm on a Mac and while Desura claims to be Mac compatible, I can only find Desura client downloads for Windows and Linux. Is there something I'm missing?

Toma

Thanks for the Desura links Toma. I'm on a Mac and while Desura claims to be Mac compatible, I can only find Desura client downloads for Windows and Linux. Is there something I'm missing?

Hm, I wish I could help but I have no clue about the other OS :/ Sorry..

Corto

You get the option to standalone installers for the game.

n8

Unconfirmed Member
Why am I just seeing this thread now? And I thought I was a good lurker.

I haven't seen a mention of Papers, please. You can get an Alpha build here. Follow development here.
A Dystopian Document Thriller.

The communist state of Arstotzka has just ended a 6-year war with neighboring Kolechia and reclaimed its rightful half of the border town, Grestin.

Your job as an immigration inspector is to control the flow of people entering the Arstotzkan side of Grestin from Kolechia. Among the throngs of immigrants and visitors looking for work are hidden smugglers, spies, and terrorists. Using only the documents provided by travelers and MoA's primitive computer dispatch system you must decide who can enter Arstotzka and who will be turned away or arrested.
jmoIj.png

33vofyF.png

KSg7pXr.gif

Skyzard

Banned
Just tried it, and its actually really fun (although heavily motion sickness enducing). The changing arena is suuuper trippy but they had some really awesome ideas for it (see the first boss at level 5).

Only managed to get to level 9 so far (out of 25).

Sounds even better, sold! Will save it in the "when my pc is restored folder :(", thanks.

Lots of great looking games in this thread, subbed.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Added to OP:

Césure - Free (PC)

I mean its free, so its an easy sell, but seriously worth dabbling a few minutes into. Considering its a 3D place to explore the DL is surprisingly small too (60MB). Tried to swim away from the threatening looking stature and landed on a small island with a weird statue that seemed to serve no purpose either, but left me uneasy. Tried to swim farther away and then only darkness engulfed me.

Trippy experience. Worth checking out!

Also, you can be one of the first 2000 people to dl this game! So sad. Not even 2000 people found that this project looked interesting to warrant a free 50MB dl for a unique experience.

What a unique little virtual world this is. It's alien, abstract, but somehow there's a sense to the structure as you descend further. I feel like I'm not supposed to be there, that I took one wrong turn in a web browser and got sucked in through my screen. I imagine it to be the end result of Darwinia had the player not saved the day and all the virii now compressed into this heart of evil, while Lustmord provided his usual murmuring apocalyptic soundtrack.

Putting my recommendation for this, though I tend to be a sucker for stuff of this Ilk (my favorite 2013 game so far is Proteus).

Toma

Why am I just seeing this thread now? And I thought I was a good lurker.

I haven't seen a mention of Papers, please. You can get an Alpha build here. Follow development here.

jmoIj.png

33vofyF.png

KSg7pXr.gif

That is a really cool idea for whats basically a detective "adventure" game where you need to find the clues for what their intentions are.

Really great executed as well. Nice find! Added to OP. And you didnt see this thread because the forum swallows Indie games without chewing them.

Toma

Delver's Drop recently had a livestream, and the videos have been uploaded to youtube.

That looks really neat, I wish it was announced for Vita as well. They will never ever hit the 240k stretch goal for that though.

Toma

Added to OP:

Under the Ocean - $7 in Alpha (PC)
electricity_main1.png

http://www.underthegarden.com/

This one looks cool, another 2D sidescrolling build/survive game, but with a pretty neat art style and some more advanced features like generating electricity. This game allows for house building and crafting (as in you take wood and stone to create an axe and not a super blasting annihilator 3000) as well. I really like how this game tries to stay down to earth with its mechanics. You can check out the free prequel here: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=13394.0

Toma

Here is a video of a 3D Puzzle game called Fract that is currently not available and back to an alpha state for an upcoming rerelease, but holy crap, watch this youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s13u73cpXC4&list=PLC636B7CB94DD3409
Dont skip anything, just continue watching until your jaw drops. The Tron-esque sounds are an awesome fit as well.

Random Screenshot:
FRACTOSC_01.jpg

I'll definitely keep an eye on this one. It looks suuuper cool.

Toma

Not a game, but a small youtube channel of a guy who does videos on usually really obscure indie games. He's been doing one a day for about a year so I think he deserves a plug:
http://www.youtube.com/user/RockLeeSmile/

Thanks for the recommendation again, really like to watch next to working. Fun to watch these smaller games, even though most of them dont seem to be all that good. The stuff I found above is really cool though.

This seems like a good thread to dump these in. I made a game called Love+ (it's on Greenlight, Desura, and standalone at Level Up Studios), and I've recently updated the Desura build with the full custom level editor set.

The game is very simple. It's a traditional 2D platformer with very minimalistic graphics, but its charm comes from the gorgeous soundtrack (by James Benett) and a neat respawn mechanic. You're given the option to place a checkpoint at any time as long as you're on solid ground.

It also has a custom level creation set I call Love+Custom, which allows you to make a level by drawing it in any of your favorite image editors. You can assemble up to 10 levels, and redistribute them to your friends in a nice little package.

Here's 10 keys, first come first serve. Desura activation only, of course.
RU5S5-GUO7O-7I4CG-BWMD3-QNTJO
MTR5X-TWWL2-SBX3H-QF3YY-S0GSE
HESAT-MSH2G-J9VZN-MP1GV-JXDRU
WD5AP-6Q3U8-JL4E9-DMDML-W1ANY
RURCD-Q7NCX-LF9V9-5SK4D-CL9QD
GYKM3-HOXOA-W92NF-TP7LB-1FE47
RR1XW-PU7HM-PGIWB-2RBJE-77ALG
JKP6Y-VPW07-W11V9-A5FUQ-941WH
M2QE6-KO0VD-Z5KHK-HL0JC-W95M5
HJU5H-WFT0M-L4Z9F-HZOPI-D2577

I hope the ten people who get the game enjoy it.

Toma

This seems like a good thread to dump these in. I made a game called Love+ (it's on Greenlight, Desura, and standalone at Level Up Studios), and I've recently updated the Desura build with the full custom level editor set.

The game is very simple. It's a traditional 2D platformer with very minimalistic graphics, but its charm comes from the gorgeous soundtrack (by James Benett) and a neat respawn mechanic. You're given the option to place a checkpoint at any time as long as you're on solid ground.

It also has a custom level creation set I call Love+Custom, which allows you to make a level by drawing it in any of your favorite image editors. You can assemble up to 10 levels, and redistribute them to your friends in a nice little package.

Thanks! Added my copy (took the 6th one: GYKM3-HOXOA-W92NF-TP7LB-1FE47) :) Impressions later. I actually remember the release of that game but never got around to it because there are so many platformers.
Btw, you might want to put the codes into a [//email] tag and tell others to quote the post for the keys (take one / out), otherwise lurkers grab them all.

Wanted to give you my YES on greenlight, but noticed I had already done so before :p I am NOT part of the problem!

Grabbed Dawning, a strange little exploration game on Desura;

http://www.desura.com/games/dawning

It doesn't seem very long, but I like the pixel style and it was only £1.99

RU5S5-GUO7O-7I4CG-BWMD3-QNTJO
MTR5X-TWWL2-SBX3H-QF3YY-S0GSE
HESAT-MSH2G-J9VZN-MP1GV-JXDRU
WD5AP-6Q3U8-JL4E9-DMDML-W1ANY
RURCD-Q7NCX-LF9V9-5SK4D-CL9QD
GYKM3-HOXOA-W92NF-TP7LB-1FE47
RR1XW-PU7HM-PGIWB-2RBJE-77ALG
JKP6Y-VPW07-W11V9-A5FUQ-941WH
M2QE6-KO0VD-Z5KHK-HL0JC-W95M5
HJU5H-WFT0M-L4Z9F-HZOPI-D2577

Thank you, I took the top code :)

Whats it about? Just wandering around or collecting items etc? The icons in the corner make it seem adventure-ish.

Yeah, sorry, I should have put in a bit more description - it's a simple exploration adventure that starts with you waking up in a bed in the middle of a forest. There's no explanation or instruction, but exploring yields keys and items, while strange enemies appear periodically to slow your progress. While a few of the items are hidden, the game seems rather linear as you mostly go back and forth between areas, new items unlocking buildings and such that you've visited before. I played through it once so far and the ending was rather abrupt and ambiguous, but I hadn't found a use for all of the items, so I think there may be more to it.

phantomsnake

Neo Member
Any chance you could add the Kickstarter for my game Another Castle to the OP?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/uncadedave/another-castle

Another Castle is a lot like my game Manic Mole. Looks awesome!

Here is a video of a 3D Puzzle game called Fract that is currently not available and back to an alpha state for an upcoming rerelease, but holy crap, watch this youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s13u73cpXC4&list=PLC636B7CB94DD3409
Dont skip anything, just continue watching until your jaw drops. The Tron-esque sounds are an awesome fit as well.

Random Screenshot:
FRACTOSC_01.jpg

I'll definitely keep an eye on this one. It looks suuuper cool.

I just watched the video. I love the untextured 3D aesthetic and harsh synthesized sounds.

This video shows more of the musical puzzles:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vySfT1zVseg

Looks really really cool.

Toma

I just watched the video. I love the untextured 3D aesthetic and harsh synthesized sounds.

This video shows more of the musical puzzles:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vySfT1zVseg

Looks really really cool.

Yeah, I'll definitely keep an eye out for this game. Nice video you linked. Its a shame so many Indies fly right under the radar. I signed up for their Beta access pool btw, you cando that on their website.

Toma

Added to OP:

Tiny Plumbers - $5 (PC)
http://robotloveskitty.com/tinyplumbers/
newsmenu.png

Procedurally generated 2D Sidescrolling Jump&Run, reminiscent of Mario games, with cute Pixel graphics. Looks pretty well done and has quite a few modes, like a mode where you unlock secrets with the princesses you saved, a multiplayer mode or even a level editor.

Hofmann

Yeah, I'll definitely keep an eye out for this game. Nice video you linked. Its a shame so many Indies fly right under the radar. I signed up for their Beta access pool btw, you cando that on their website.

I've been following the game since beginning. The old prototype demo blew my mind and from what I see it's geting better with every new info they release.

Toma

I've been following the game since beginning. The old prototype demo blew my mind and from what I see it's geting better with every new info they release.

Just in case I miss the release, please throw a message into one of these threads once its released. Hoping that these threads survive long enough :p

Hofmann

Just in case I miss the release, please throw a message into one of these threads once its released. Hoping that these threads survive long enough :p

No problem. BTW, if you haven't tried the demo you can contact them through the website. It's old but still worth trying.

Toma

No problem. BTW, if you haven't tried the demo you can contact them through the website. It's old but still worth trying.

You mean shoot them a mail or something? Figured they might not want to give out the old demo if they took it down.

Hofmann

You mean shoot them a mail or something? Figured they might not want to give out the old demo if they took it down.

Yeah, just send them a msg. I got it when it was available on their website, but it is still possible if you ask nicely.

From their site.

Hi Brandon!

You are correct, we took down the download links to the old prototype. We wanted to start focussing on FRACT OSC and the correspondance (email, support etc) for the old prototype was a lot to manage for our little team while making a whole new game.

That said, we don't want to deny you some FRACT - If you fire us a message on feedback form (http://fractgame.com/contact) I'll send you a link to the old prototype :)

- Richard

Toma

Alright, I took a good look at the last 2-3 months of released Desura games and cherry picked a few titles that look promising. Help me find out whether there is a gem here! Some look really promising and almost all have demos somewhere. Also check out more of the smaller recommendations on page 4.

Post 1:

Private Infiltrator - Stealth game

Dominions 3 - Turn Based Strategy game with 500 different units, 600 spells and 300 magic items.

Underrail - Fallout style isometric RPG

Henry Attacks - [free] Paper Mario style 3d shenanigans - sidescrolling shooter

Waking Mars - Sidescrolling Exploration game/Shooter

Drox Operative - A starship action RPG with warring alien races, fierce space battles, a dynamic, evolving galaxy, and co-op multiplayer.

UFHO2 Alpha - UFHO2 is a competitive turn-based game of wits. Half strategy, half board game, all fun.

Edge of Space - Terraria with more crazy stuff going on.

Richard & Alice - A mystery story about family, desperation and the weather, set to the beat of an indie adventure game.
Darkout - A pretty 2D survival game

Go Beryllium! - [free]Bullet Hell shmup with a setting on an atomic scale.

ASA : A Space Adventure
- Looks a bit like a myst game in space

Claustrophobia: The Downward Struggle - One of the 1000 Random roguelikes on Desura that all have a 9+ rating

Toma

Yeah, just send them a msg. I got it when it was available on their website, but it is still possible if you ask nicely.

From their site.

Thanks! Sent them a mail about it.

Top Bottom