• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games missing on PS4 / XB1

novabolt

What if they are selling well even with this behaviour?

During the Xbox 360 dominance something similar happened.

Games can skip a platform and do well, I won't deny that. At the same time, a game can skip a platform and do awful. Remember, no one is buying a console for an indie so if they decide to skip a platform, they need to make that the chosen platforms earn as much.

Also, the XB360 era was a different time. MS had Indie developers in a neck hold to publish their games through the XBLA. This generation is different, Sony isn't holding anyone by the neck. Some developers have created some kind of self allegiance to Sony while casting MS as some monster.

Armello and AAC come to mind.

There's a huge difference between Indies not coming to PS4 and XB1. Most Indies will be on PS4 while XB1 will be excluded from a lot of them. One example would be Supergiant games, they have completely disregard XBOX while focusing solely on PlayStation this gen. There's nothing wrong with that but they shouldn't expect me to pay $20/£14.99 for transistor two years later.

Business sense is one of the reason why Indie developing is make less than usual. Maybe I'm wrong but at the moment, excluding a platform when your aren't a big company isn't the smartest thing to do.
You realize that bringing a game to another console isn't like pressing a button. For example, the Rain World devs have been working with their porting team for months to make sure the PS4 version is ready. That's PC, PS4, with Vita coming later, and it's a hellish deathmarch of months of crunching and testing, different timezones and little sleep and all that

Then double all that if you added an Xbox version

That's why indie games tend to only come to one console at first, or ever

FyreWulff

There's a huge difference between Indies not coming to PS4 and XB1. Most Indies will be on PS4 while XB1 will be excluded from a lot of them. One example would be Supergiant games, they have completely disregard XBOX while focusing solely on PlayStation this gen. There's nothing wrong with that but they shouldn't expect me to pay $20/£14.99 for transistor two years later.

Business sense is one of the reason why Indie developing is make less than usual. Maybe I'm wrong but at the moment, excluding a platform when your aren't a big company isn't the smartest thing to do.

Games can skip a platform and do well, I won't deny that. At the same time, a game can skip a platform and do awful. Remember, no one is buying a console for an indie so if they decide to skip a platform, they need to make that the chosen platforms earn as much.

Also, the XB360 era was a different time. MS had Indie developers in a neck hold to publish their games through the XBLA. This generation is different, Sony isn't holding anyone by the neck. Some developers have created some kind of self allegiance to Sony while casting MS as some monster.

Armello and AAC come to mind.

You realize that bringing a game to another console isn't like pressing a button. For example, the Rain World devs have been working with their porting team for months to make sure the PS4 version is ready. That's PC, PS4, with Vita coming later, and it's a hellish deathmarch of months of crunching and testing, different timezones and little sleep and all that

So, are people completely ignoring the known fact that Microsoft forces you through the ringer if you dare stagger your releases or not give them exclusive content these days?

Hint: it's a very significant reason why a lot of indie games are skipping One but are on PS4.

Castef

Banned
So, are people completely ignoring the known fact that Microsoft forces you through the ringer if you dare stagger your releases or not give them exclusive content these days?

I think this is part of the past.

Lots of indie games are being ported to XB1 without exclusive content now.

novabolt

In the end Armello actually came to XB1.

After it lose on that "Which game would you like to be on IGC+". The same thing happened to AAC.

I know what indie development entails and I do feel for developers but a lot of them clearly have created a self allegiance with Sony. Just explain to your potential consumer base that the game ain't coming, no one will kill you for that. If the Rain World devs don't want to port their game to XB1, that's fine by me but don't expect a warm welcome when you do decide to port your game later.

Wonko_C

They are a team of 40 people formed after Seibu Kaihatsu closed down. They bought the Raiden trademark.

They just develop a game at once and publish it by themselves in digital format.

When I talked to them they said me they have no publisher, they self-publish their games.

Isn't that the very definition of a independent developer?

Had the game been titled "Shooter V" instead of "Raiden V" we would not been having this conversation. :)

Sorry I am veering off-topic here, I was genuinely curious, because I still don't understand the difference between an independent publisher and an non-independent. SNK is a small team too and they publish their own games (such as KOF XIV) in Japan. What makes them not indie?

Also, Raiden V was released on a disc in Japan though that doesn't mean indie publishers never put games on discs.

Castef

Banned
Sorry I am veering off-topic here, I was genuinely curious, because I still don't understand the difference between an independent publisher and an non-independent. SNK is a small team too and they publish their own games (such as KOF XIV) in Japan. What makes them not indie?

Also, Raiden V was released on a disc in Japan though that doesn't mean indie publishers never put games on discs.

Consider that I've been discussing this a lot because actually it is a weird situation. Publishers in Japan have to be registered as Kabushiki gaisha in order to do business. So, there is a thin line which defines "indie developer" there, even though is mostly a naming one and not a substantial one.

For instance, Comcept is a Kabushiki gaisha too and it is widely considered as a indie company.

So... are they "indie" or not?

Wonko_C

Consider that I've been discussing this a lot because actually it is a weird situation. Publishers in Japan have to be registered as Kabushiki gaisha in order to do business. So, there is a thin line which defines "indie developer" there, even though is mostly a naming one and not a substantial one.

For instance, Comcept is a Kabushiki gaisha too and it is widely considered as a indie company.

So... are they "indie" or not?

Depends on the region, I guess? This is all more complicated than I thought at first, and I already thought it was complicated, LOL.

Top Bottom