• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie games to look forward to in 2016 and beyond

Granjinha

Night in the Woods looks pretty great, too.

animated3.gif

animated0.gif

animated4.gif

Pixel art in indie games is getting so incredible. Looking forward to a lot of these, I wonder which one will be the next Shovel Knight / Spelunky.

Pixel art in indie games is getting so incredible. Looking forward to a lot of these, I wonder which one will be the next Shovel Knight / Spelunky.
If you like roguelite platformers, I highly recommend checking out Catacomb Kids or Vagante

Catacomb Kids is more fun, because of your moveset and the environment is so reactive, but Vagante is the more complete game ATM (both on Early Access)

Made a thread about Catacomb Kids over here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=979121
What makes Catacomb Kids feel so fun is how reactive the world is. You can use the environment to your advantage in unique inventive ways. Knock down a torch to burn enemies without getting close or throw a mushroom into a pool to poison the water. Lure enemies into traps, or throw rocks to reveal a trap's location. You can drink a potion or boil it on a fiery surface to turn the contents into a area-effecting cloud. And then fill the empty flask with the water you poisoned before with the mushroom, and then boil it to make a cloud of poison. You can eat corpses or even your own severed limbs for health.

KodaRuss

I will definitely be looking into getting a lot of these but I believe I am most excited for Firewatch.

The Witness is also on the list. Ill be checking in on a few of these.

Still need to buy and play Soma (kinda hope it comes down a little in price though...) Anyone know about how long Soma is?

Ottobit

Banned
I want to play like 70% of the games listed here. Thanks for putting this together.

I'm looking forward to Salt and Sanctuary. It's reminiscent of a 2D Souls game.
FarflungDimwittedDuiker.gif

I will definitely be looking into getting a lot of these but I believe I am most excited for Firewatch.

The Witness is also on the list. Ill be checking in on a few of these.

Still need to buy and play Soma (kinda hope it comes down a little in price though...) Anyone know about how long Soma is?
Took me about ~9 hours, but I've seen it range from 6 to 12 hours

Excellent game. It's #1 on my GOTY list

Enk

makes good threads.
There's just too many great looking indie games coming out next year! Also the list should include Darkest Dungeon which will be finished next year. Been holding off on that until it is out of early access.

url_zpsfyb1b3sr.gif

Pehesse

Not only does it look gorgeous, it's also made by a Gaffer

And also many more like Ito's Spirit Huntress, Absinthe's Mainframe One, Lilith and Abe's Nether Mind... the list goes on, and we could pull screens and gifs right out of the indie dev thread :)

And also many more like Ito's Spirit Huntress, Absinthe's Mainframe One, Lilith and Abe's Nether Mind... the list goes on, and we could pull screens and gifs right out of the indie dev thread :)
Yes, it's a treasure trove of amazing talent. Right up there with TIGSource and DigiPen Game Gallery

I had started a NeoGAF Screenshot Saturday thread, but it died down after a while. I mean, we got the devs of Ghost Song, Dust, Volgarr, and lesser known titles like Turnover, Twin Souls, and so much more on GAF

Pehesse

Yes, it's a treasure trove of amazing talent. Right up there with TIGSource and DigiPen Game Gallery

I had started a NeoGAF Screenshot Saturday thread, but it died down after a while

I posted quite a few times in an older screenshot saturday thread here about Honey, but I was one of the last few doing so for quite a while, so I stopped... not sure what we'd need to keep one healthy over a long time. They're pretty often killer on bandwith...
I seem to recall yours doing pretty good, since you went looking for games in different places?

edit: looking back, both threads were yours! Meant the older one with 8 pages in opposition to the newer one :-D

I posted quite a few times in a screenshot saturday thread about Honey, but I was one of the last few doing so for quite a while, so I stopped... not sure what we'd need to keep one healthy over a long time. I seem to recall yours doing pretty good, since you went looking for games in different places?
Well, mainly because I'm the main person posting there :p. I do Screenshot Saturday posts every weekend for the Indie Game threads anyway, so it's easy to just copy and paste into that other thread

Tankard

Firewatch is not only my most antecipated indie for 2016 but one of the most antecipated games.

Many great indies coming out soon, many already posted, where's the love for Cook, Serve, Delicious 2?

Driw3r

Unconfirmed Member
Great post. Lot of interesting games coming out next year. I would add The Revolution 1979 to the mix. Looks intriquing. One of my personal favorites, on top of my waiting list, is Shards Online.

GreatNumber

Unconfirmed Member
It's in private beta now, should be releasing publicly on Early Access soon. For an alpha, it already looks fantastic and plays great

Great to hear, I looked into it and didn't see how much it would be. I'm assuming $20-$40 for the base game, but does anyone have any confirmation?

Shredderi

Awesome thread. Definitely subbed for later use when I'm wondering if that one cool game that I can't remember by name has come out yet.

This, super stoked for it! I've been following Devolver Digital (Hotline, Talos, Downwell) and found this gem.
The indie output of Devolver and Adult Swim have been amazing.

Hotline, Talos, Downwell, Luftrausers, Broforce, Titan Souls. Jazzpunk, Volgarr The Viking, Westerado, Duck Game

And Adult Swim is publishing Ghost Song, Rain World, and Death's Gambit

PillarEN

What's the deal with To The Moon 2? I've been eagerly waiting for our two favorite scientists for as very long time now. I need more story, music and tears.

Pehesse

Well, mainly because I'm the main person posting there :p. I do Screenshot Saturday posts every weekend for the Indie Game threads anyway, so it's easy to just copy and paste into that other thread

Well, it works :-D

I'd say the rest of us post when we have stuff to show, so it can be pretty erratic... especially if we try to avoid viewer fatigue/spamming. Hard balance to find :v

ArjanN

What's the deal with To The Moon 2? I've been eagerly waiting for our two favorite scientists for as very long time now. I need more story, music and tears.

That guy made A Bird Story in the mean time.

In the OT: For The King, Overland, That Which Sleeps, Wartile, Wanderer

Other games:
- Cogmind - old school sci-fi roguelike
- Empires Apart - stylish RTS with warring civilizations
- Tahira
- Nantucket - whaling game reminiscent of FTL
- Mighty Tactical Shooter - SHMUP with tactical pause

Also Banner Saga 2.

Some cool Kickstarters/IGGs I'm keeping my eye on:

Aviary Attorney: Hatoful Boyfriend meets Phoenix Wright
Chasm: Metroidvania type exploration platformer.
Distance: An F-Zero style future racing game, on Steam right now, looks great
Frontiers: One guy tries to make a game of Morrowind's scope. It's not going to work. But frankly, it's amazing to see him try.
The Flame in the Flood: Rogue-like procedurally generated 3D raft adventure
Ghost of a Tale: A 3D ARPG with a Redwall-ish theme where you're a mouse. Looks dope as hell, great animation.
Jenny LeClue Detectivu: Mostly because of the name, but this adventure game looks super swell to me.
Kona: Atmospheric adventure game set in Northern Quebec.
The Long Dark: So far so good, and with the additional boost of Early Access on Xbox One I think these guys will have the resources they need to really nail the final product
Obduction: Myst VI, more or less.

Orion Trail: Maybe the next FTL?
Project Phoenix: Just kidding, these guys are fucking scammers and this is a fiasco! LOL!
Rimworld: Just been amazed at how good this looks and how well the dev has done updating it. It's a sorta base building type sim with raiding combat elements.
Strafe: Quake era 3D Fps
Theme Park Studio: Looks like the best rollercoaster / theme park building game in a decade or more, on Steam right now, looks great

All ones I was going to post. In addition though:

Eitr

Really well animated pixel art diablo-like.

We Happy Few

Bioshock meets 1960's dystopian London.

Super Hot is pretty obvious and if you haven't heard of it you are a stupid head who needs to go play the prototype right now.

Octopus City Blues

Point and Click/Adventure game with a well done VGA aesthetic and lots of tentacles... LOTS...

Radio the Universe

Pixel art platformer/action game with another really unique aesthetic. Though this and OCB have been plagued by "development difficulties"

Below
The Witness
Aztez
RIME
Inside
Hellblade
Abzu
A Hat in Time
Below
Banner Saga 2
Talos Principle
Game of Thrones Telltale
Undertale
Devils third online
Hyper Light Drifter
No Man Sky
Walking Dead S2

Jobbs

Banned
Another one to look out for is Yonder! Not sure it'll make 2016, but the thread title does say 'and beyond' :-D

This game looks great, and in some of the shots accomplishes a sense of depth and place that few sidescrolling games do.

I've chatted with one of the guys behind this a few times and -- unless something has changed -- I think this game is being made in Construct 2 (don't quote me on this though). Construct 2 is a rough equivalent of Stencyl, so it's always nice to see something more ambitious being made with it. :) (again, if I'm correct)

Too many games, not enough time

Here's another, for all you realistic space sim fans. Really looking forward to this one

Objects In Space - 2016
http://objectsgame.com/the-game/overview/
The incredibly short version is this: it’s a space trading game where instead of pretending space ships are WW2 Fighters, we’ve built them more like Nuclear Submarines. A game about navigation and command more than piloting. A game trying to evoke the feeling of the nerve-wracking and cerebral battles from Star Trek II : The Wrath of Khan and The Hunt For Red October instead of the high action of Star Wars.
qv9VEKf.jpg
bUSyGHD.jpg

Top Bottom