• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IndieGamerChick: NX more powerful than PS4/XB1, easy to develop for [rumor]

Remember hearing the same shit about the Wii U / project cafe.

It was powerful they said. Incredibly easy to port games they said.

Wait and see.

And "best tools ever" immediately sounds like this is just fanboy dribble.

NeonZ

Like I said in another thread, if it's on par with PS4/Xbone, then clearly the third parties will target PS4.5/Xbox1.5 and point out the NX is still way too weak.

That's not the actual problem, the real problem is that the PS4 and XBox One by this point lready have consolidated user bases, especially the PS4, so there's no reason to jump to the Wii U for a power gap that they already have. So, like usual, multiplatform games will sell very badly on the NX and quickly stop, if they're even there to begin with.

Really, I don't see how matching the PS4 and XBox One years after their release can be considered "powerful". Obviously the gap wouldn't be as bad as PS3 vs Wii U as far as release date goes, but the situation is still essentially the same.

Regiruler

She's apparently big in the indie scene. There might be a chance she at least knows about Nintendo's plan for Indie concerning the NX.

Also the part about the NX being "easy to develop for" is something Dual Pixes (I know I know) said back in February this year.

It's all I have, unfortunately.

I hope this doesn't mean they chickened out and went x86.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
When she says the rumors regarding NX's specs are true, I'm guessing she's referring to the Wall Street Journal report.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/16/9550025/nintendo-nx-details-chips-mobile-component

But I'm just making a guess here. I'm honestly not sure if she was referring to this particular report.

right but i mean let's say the WSJ thing is false and the Verge thing is false and her thing is false: how would we ever know? And if not, how would we ever know that it is true? We have no idea whom her source is, if her source is in a position to know or is simply speculating, etc. This strikes me as totally un-provable or disprovable.

All I know is that "more powerful than PS4/Xbone" is *technically* accurate, that it's easy to develop for and optimized for gaming.
What does *technically* mean here exactly? Is she saying that it's more powerful as a whole, maybe including the processing power of the console and controller summed together, but the nx system itself might not be more powerful? I'm confused.

*technically* more Powerful just means modern tech. Now saying best dev tools ever for gaming...?

Not even out yet and hes saying best tools for gaming over Sony and MS running with 99% pc parts.

Third-parties will always find a way to shaft Nintendo.

Nintendo's last box didn't even allow 3rd parties to easily port over X360 and PS3 ganes, like any sane person would've expected, due to going cheap on the memory and CPU. It's no wonder they "shaft" Nintendo when Nintendo phones in efforts like that.

MK_768

That would be bad for PS4/Xbox One if developers immediately abandon that level of game.

I do hope Nintendo knocks it out of the park with indies.

Give me Undertale NX

Which is exactly why they won't. Xbox One and Ps4 will hold the majority of marketshare for awhile. The focus should be on them and not the incremental upgrade.

It's very risky to ask gamers to spend $800 on one generation for hardware. This incremental upgrade is like the New 3DS imo.

Jedi2016

This is just a bunch of stuff that showed up on Reddit about the time that the other leaks proved fake, from a "AAA developer" that was never confirmed. Take with salt lick.

While we all want it to be true, myself included, it sounds a bit too much like exactly what we want to hear, which makes me even more skeptical until Nintendo themselves actually come out and announce the damn thing.

Sandfox

right but i mean let's say the WSJ thing is false and the Verge thing is false and her thing is false: how would we ever know? And if not, how would we ever know that it is true? We have no idea whom her source is, if her source is in a position to know or is simply speculating, etc. This strikes me as totally un-provable or disprovable.

We'll have to wait and see if conflicting info pops. I obviously don't justr trust this kind of thing, but I also, don't see why she would want to ruin her image and credibility so I'll watch it play out.

That would be bad for PS4/Xbox One if developers immediately abandon that level of game.

I do hope Nintendo knocks it out of the park with indies.

Give me Undertale NX

Devs obviously aren't going to ditch the PS4 and Xbox One.

Malus

Remember hearing the same shit about the Wii U / project cafe.

It was powerful they said. Incredibly easy to port games they said.

Wait and see.

And "best tools ever" immediately sounds like this is just fanboy dribble.

Well if it ends up being around/just a bit more powerful than ps4/xb1 then it's a pretty similar situation to Wii U and ps360, just a lot earlier in the generation.

Boke1879

This is just a bunch of stuff that showed up on Reddit about the time that the other leaks proved fake, from a "AAA developer" that was never confirmed. Take with salt lick.

While we all want it to be true, myself included, it sounds a bit too much like exactly what we want to hear, which makes me even more skeptical until Nintendo themselves actually come out and announce the damn thing.

And even then we need to wait until the hardware is out and see these things play out

But does this guarantee that NX will receive the same amount of 3rd party support as PS4 and XB1 are having? That's all I care honestly.

Qwyjibo

I hope it has a handheld aspect to it. I'm ready for a continuation of all the awesome titles the 3DS got, just looking MUCH better. That's the only way they'd get me somewhat interested in the NX right away. Nintendo hasn't earned any trust from me when it comes to home consoles.

Dabanton

Heard it all before with the Wii U. Nintendo just seems to have different priorities some would say a certain cheapskate factor so their machines are never truly 'cutting edge'.

Malus

What does *technically* mean here exactly? Is she saying that it's more powerful as a whole, maybe including the processing power of the console and controller summed together, but the nx system itself might not be more powerful? I'm confused.

Maybe it's more powerful but not enough to make a noticeable difference/not a generational leap.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I've followed her on and off on Twitter for a while now. She's often very sceptical about Nintendo so hearing this from her is good news.

Madao

not falling for this again.

and even if Nintendo had a system 2x-3x more powerful than PS4, that won't bring back 3rd parties.

XenodudeX

But does this guarantee that NX will receive the same amount of 3rd party support as PS4 and XB1 are having? That's all I care honestly.

If these rumors are true, then it'll some support at launch or in the launch window, but if it doesn't take off, then third party support will dry up again.

LowSignal

who.gif
Exactly what I was thinking

Oddduck

That makes sense. If you feel the thread should be locked for any particular reason, then feel free to do so. (I apologize in advance.)

For what it's worth, she is usually in regular contact with people who handle indie relations at companies like Nintendo and Microsoft. And she does talk to a lot of indie developers who may or may not be in a position to have NX dev kits in their possession. That was the main reason I posted the thread.

(Although, that doesn't mean she's right on this rumor either.)

Nope. Power alone will not bring over the audience that buys third party games. The people who clamor for a powerful Nintendo console would like you to believe it does, but it doesn't.

not falling for this again.

and even if Nintendo had a system 2x-3x more powerful than PS4, that won't bring back 3rd parties.

If Nintendo requires a gimmick input method and lacks the modern features that the other two have then it won't. If it releases a console in 2016 that is comparable to the two released in 2013 and its powerful it will. Third parties don't hate Nintendo. They just can't make money by releasing their software because most Wii owners don't buy games outside of Nintendo first party and because Nintendo hardware has been overly weak.

Wii u had a really weird start with third parties. They ported games that had already been out for a while. Mass Effect 3 was a really strange port too. A couple weeks after bioware released the trilogy set on PS3 and 360. It's like they wanted the wii u version to fail.

Top Bottom