• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IndieGamerChick: NX more powerful than PS4/XB1, easy to develop for [rumor]

MajorMane

Here's his follow up: https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoNX...rvived_the_af_lockdown_now_claim_your_reward/

• x86 architecture.
  • Backup data to Nintendo server (most likely My Nintendo).
  • Support for additional screen.
  • Can handle ports of current-gen games.
  • Will be able to interact with smartdevice apps.
  • Using NX software will unlock My Nintendo reward points.

Claims second-hand information, but that he had "little reason to doubt its validity."

There's no mind blowing info there. What's the additional screen part? Is this person saying it will have a traditional controller and you can buy a controller with a screen? Or it will support multiple controllers with a screen?

Davey Cakes

Call me when someone drops a really specific detail that couldn't just be blind speculation.

Otherwise there's no worth to any "new" info.

Call me when someone drops a really specific detail that couldn't just be blind speculation.

Otherwise there's no worth to any "new" info.
Well if you want rumored specific details, here's a lot of them (which also contradicts the other rumor from a few mins ago lol):
https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoNX...ntendo_to_unveil_nx_in_january_at_ces/cyasp1u
Read most of his answers, he does have a lot to say lol

And this comes from somebody who clearly has knowledge, so if it was fake, it would be harder to tell.

I love NX rumors, it contradicts so much with each other it's funny.

MK_768

There's no mind blowing info there. What's the additional screen part? Is this person saying it will have a traditional controller and you can buy a controller with a screen? Or it will support multiple controllers with a screen?

It's interesting actually. I feel like this rumor has been one of the very few rumors that has remained constant. It could also line up with the rumor that Game Informer guy heard; a controller with no buttons would include a simple controller with a screen.

I still think it's an odd and unlikely decision but I'm coming around to the idea of the NX having a traditional controller but you can use a tablet or phone(?) as a second screen for maps and managing inventory(like in Zelda). I don't know. It's Nintendo. It wouldn't be a Nintendo console without some quirky idea.

Peterc

Found this on reddit :

E3 Portfolio. Just that.
First of, i'm just going to add that there is an nda, (non-disclosure agreement / Aka shit) and i'm not allowed to say much.

But i've, like the title said, gotten the e3 portfolio through (A very, very long time ago). Ubisoft will have for honor, and that yearly stuff, 1 hour press conference is estimated.

Microsoft will have around 1 and a half hour conference, while sony is estimated to fill it with a 2 hour conference.

Now to you nintendo guys, the nintendo clan is estimated to be given 1 and a half hours for things. I'm just saying this, games, (that other leaks have said, come with the upcoming nintendo 'nx's) are going to be a thing, aswell as the 'console' (There is just something mentioned as 'console', nothing more.) just for clarification.

That is 1:1 what some of my superiors have given through a long time ago.

I might not be helpful at all, i know. I'm a small fish, surrounded by sharks. But I hope i could atleast get some of you guys sated with informations.

EDITED A BIT MORE OF THIS STUFF, READ THROUGH IT ONCE MORE. THIS IS FINAL. SHOULD NOT GET ME INTO TROUBLE.

What's below this text might be not important to you:

Pascal H. I advise you once more, take your informations out of the nintendo main site. Or i'm going to put your email adress in here, for display. I'll give you a day. And perhaps contact you.

EDIT: Pascal's email adress is still in my hands, but it's out of the sites code. Now to the greensock.com guys which make the site of nintendo, please, author 'jack doyle' change your name. It is a bit disgraceful.

https://m.reddit.com/r/NintendoNX/comments/4db3ii/e3_portfolio_just_that/?ref=search_posts

Luigiv

X86? Yeah there's no handheld for sure lol. Or the handheld is gonna be expensive and bulky as fuck to accommodate all that heat.

Intel atom is a thing you know, right? I mean they're pretty garbage but they still show you can fit an x86 based SoC in a 2w package.

Well if you want rumored specific details, here's a lot of them (which also contradicts the other rumor from a few mins ago lol):
https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoNX...ntendo_to_unveil_nx_in_january_at_ces/cyasp1u
Read most of his answers, he does have a lot to say lol

And this comes from somebody who clearly has knowledge, so if it was fake, it would be harder to tell.

I love NX rumors, it contradicts so much with each other it's funny.

I'm pretty sure he's just talking about Android in that post because otherwise that's a pthe worst attempt at a hoax leak I've seen yet.

It's interesting actually. I feel like this rumor has been one of the very few rumors that has remained constant. It could also line up with the rumor that Game Informer guy heard; a controller with no buttons would include a simple controller with a screen.

I still think it's an odd and unlikely decision but I'm coming around to the idea of the NX having a traditional controller but you can use a tablet or phone(?) as a second screen for maps and managing inventory(like in Zelda). I don't know. It's Nintendo. It wouldn't be a Nintendo console without some quirky idea.

The more "latest" rumors all make it sound like it will come with atleast a traditional controller and a controller with a screen you can buy. I think that's what I'm getting from these controller rumors.

This will be a great decision from Nintendo if true. There's just too many people demanding a "traditional" controller. I do want the scrollable wheels though on top.

Banned
OK, I'm feeling dumb today. Does any of that mean anything?
It contradicts all the ARM talk other Reddit posters and gaf insiders have been saying, mostly because x86 isn't a very efficient architecture with handhelds, and the handheld was rumoured to share its architecture with the console to make cross porting easy.

If this is true (and don't think it is just because he's verified on Reddit) it means 99% likely the nx is a home console only with no handheld that uses the same architecture as the PS4 and XB1 (likely a Puma SoC instead of the Jaguar) and the handheld is a different code name or the New 3DS is Nintendo's way of extending the life a few more years of the 3DS.

This isn't the first time we've seen a poster say the screen controller will be the optional controller this time and the standard controller will be default.

MK_768

The more "latest" rumors all make it sound like it will come with atleast a traditional controller and a controller with a screen you can buy. I think that's what I'm getting from these controller rumors.

This will be a great decision from Nintendo if true. There's just too many people demanding a "traditional" controller. I do want the scrollable wheels though on top.

I'm against the whole controller with a screen for a home console if it requires sacrifices elsewhere like with the Wii U.

It contradicts all the ARM talk other Reddit posters and gaf insiders have been saying, mostly because x86 isn't a very efficient architecture with handhelds, and the handheld was rumoured to share its architecture with the console to make cross porting easy.

If this is true (and don't think it is just because he's verified on Reddit) it means 99% likely the nx is a home console only with no handheld that uses the same architecture as the PS4 and XB1 (likely a Puma SoC instead of the Jaguar) and the handheld is a different code name or the New 3DS is Nintendo's way of extending the life a few more years of the 3DS.

This isn't the first time we've seen a poster say the screen controller will be the optional controller this time and the standard controller will be default.

Interesting, thanks for summarizing/translating. I'd actually be OK with all this.

Neoxon

Judging by the leaked 3DS price cut, 3DS sales decreasing, & major 3DS support from Nintendo starting to wind down (plus one of our own insiders mentioning the resolution of the next handheld), we should expect a new handheld sometime in 2017 either way. The 3DS is really starting to show its age.

If this guy is legit, the handheld is likely under a different codename.

I'm against the whole controller with a screen for a home console if it requires sacrifices elsewhere like with the Wii U.
I was hoping for a controller with no screen and if there was a NX handheld then you could use it as a "Gamepad" for offscreen and benefits to maybe something like a Super Mario Maker 2.

Like someone else said it could just use a phone or tablets to as a "Gamepad". Either way works for me. I don't want a screen taking away from the NX console like the Wii U's Gamepad like you said.

diaspora

Polaris would be nice, but Nintendo has a bigger CPU problem than GPU. When that guy from DICE was commenting on the Wii U, his problem with the system was with the sub-360 tier CPU rather than the GPU.

Found this on reddit :

I could have written this. There's nothing interesting in this at all. The Ubisoft, Sony and Microsoft comments are common sense based on the trends of the past couple of years, and Nintendo will have games to announced for their new system? No way! -_-

I'm just saying this, games, (that other leaks have said, come with the upcoming nintendo 'nx's) are going to be a thing, aswell as the 'console' (There is just something mentioned as 'console', nothing more.) just for clarification.

Oh really? Like the first post in that thread said to aptly, what a crock of shit.

So an entirely assumptive reasoning then.

Yes, just like you and everyone else in this thread that knows absolutely nothing about what this thing is going to be. What a terrible retort.

Thraktor

X86? Yeah there's no handheld for sure lol. Or the handheld is gonna be expensive and bulky as fuck to accommodate all that heat.

There's nothing stopping Nintendo from using x86 in the home console and ARM in the handheld. It's simpler from Nintendo's point of view to use a common architecture for their tools development, but for developers it doesn't make much if any difference.

Although that rumour's a load of crap, and my money is still on ARM for both devices.

2017. Polaris.

Polaris is a GPU architecture. You're thinking of Zen, AMD's CPU architecture for 14nm onwards (although ARM still makes a lot more sense for the handheld, even if it is 14nm).

Banned
There's nothing stopping Nintendo from using x86 in the home console and ARM in the handheld. It's simpler from Nintendo's point of view to use a common architecture for their tools development, but for developers it doesn't make much if any difference.

Although that rumour's a load of crap, and my money is still on ARM for both devices.

Polaris is a GPU architecture. You're thinking of Zen, AMD's CPU architecture for 14nm onwards (although ARM still makes a lot more sense for the handheld, even if it is 14nm).
Deep down I always wanted x86 for power reasons. ARM works great for handhelds though.

Pokemaniac

Having the home console and handheld use different ISAs is not impossible. It is a hell of a lot harder, though.

Banned
In terms of things Nintendo could realistically put in a console, I don't think ARM is particularly limiting.
Honestly my dream would be for them to go back to nvidia for the GPU and use an Intel cpu but that's a pipe dream.

Are any ARM CPU's capable of exceeding what's in the PS4 right now? The A72 perhaps?

diaspora

Honestly my dream would be for them to go back to nvidia for the GPU and use an Intel cpu but that's a pipe dream.

Are any ARM CPU's capable of exceeding what's in the PS4 right now? The A72 perhaps?

I don't think anyone wants to work with Intel or nvidia anymore.

Pokemaniac

AMD has an ARM chip for servers iirc.

Edit: we can all agree that PowerPC would be a dumpster fire right?

PowerPC is, for all intents and purposes, dead. Using it for anything other than a Wii U compatibility chip would be foolish.

Intel and Nvidia already burned those bridges.

I'm pretty sure people who know more about CPUs than me (I'm really more of a software guy) were saying in one of the older threads that A72 would be able to surpass PS4 and Xbone.

Banned
PowerPC is, for all intents and purposes, dead. Using it for anything other than a Wii U compatibility chip would be foolish.

Intel and Nvidia already burned those bridges.

I'm pretty sure people who know more about CPUs than me (I'm really more of a software guy) were saying in one of the older threads that A72 would be able to surpass PS4 and Xbone.
I believe Thraktor said that. 8 cores of A72 clocked at least 2.0Ghz should theoretically outperform the current consoles by a good margin.

Thraktor

AMD has an ARM chip for servers iirc.

Yes, they're replacing Jaguar, Puma, etc. with ARM cores, starting with stock cores and moving on to their custom K12 ARM core.

Edit: we can all agree that PowerPC would be a dumpster fire right?

Well, from a purely theoretical point of view a handful of PowerPC A2 cores shrunk to 22nm (or even 14nm) would probably do a reasonable job for a home console, but you wouldn't have the advantage of using the same ISA across home console and handheld, you wouldn't be able to include it on an SoC alongside the GPU (which means a more expensive MCM), and you probably wouldn't even be able to guarantee good BC performance with Wii U code.

diaspora

Well, from a purely theoretical point of view a handful of PowerPC A2 cores shrunk to 22nm (or even 14nm) would probably do a reasonable job for a home console, but you wouldn't have the advantage of using the same ISA across home console and handheld, you wouldn't be able to include it on an SoC alongside the GPU (which means a more expensive MCM), and you probably wouldn't even be able to guarantee good BC performance with Wii U code.
Sounds like a dumpster fire.

Robso

Judging by the leaked 3DS price cut, 3DS sales decreasing, & major 3DS support from Nintendo starting to wind down (plus one of our own insiders mentioning the resolution of the next handheld), we should expect a new handheld sometime in 2017 either way. The 3DS is really starting to show its age.

If this guy is legit, the handheld is likely under a different codename.

Do you recall the thread the insider mentioned the resolution of the next handheld?

Astral Dog

This seems like a pre WiiU post.
Nothing wrong with what he said,if NX makes some changes (as it should do) it will have a very different philosopy from the Wii U, that includes specs and at this point the least we could expect is Xbox ONE like power, they are not going to pull another U again.

I'm not saying the games will come if the NX is comparable power wise. Just that they actually have CHANCE to come, unlike on the wii.

Hell, the Wii u barely got any ports outside of a few launch games and power wasn't the issue there. There are a bunch of reasons for that but not my point.

I'm more talking about how the Wii, despite being crazy successful, rarely got ports of ps360 games, outside of the call of dutys (because Activision actually had a dedicated Wii port studio in vicarious visions). The teams that made the bioshocks, tomb raiders, and assassins creeds couldn't be asked to make a Wii version because it would literally require building a separate game rather than a true port because of the power discrepancy. That is alot of man power for a potential port that may not be able to match the vision and execution of their game. If the NX matches current gen, at the very least, that won't be a hurdle.

Support will come down to market viability rather straight up resource allocation.
Im sorry but im getting tired of these, its like repeating the same thing will somehow make it true, power was far from the only problem but it sure as hell counted, Wii U is not only difficult to develop for but also weak even compared to last gen systems in some ways, no sane developer tried to stay with it after the first year and it was not only for the sales.

Wii was different because at least being an SD system attracted a lot of games that could not be done on HD due to increased costs/risk.

Top Bottom