• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indivisible: Valkyrie Profile/Metroid, Indiegogo, PC/Mac/Linux/PS4/XB1 -- funded!

kiryogi

Banned
People can correct me if I'm wrong and I don't follow kickstarter too closely so I may very well be, but I think if this got funded it would be by far the largest crowdfund that was trying to do something original. It's like Valkrie Profile, and kinda like Metriod, but I'd say Indivisible is actually more it's own thing and is the most original game I've seen in years, and not just on kickstarter. If this fails it proves that crowdfunding doesn't actually work for large-scale original ideas, which was kind of always the dream of what I wanted kickstarter to be when I first heard about it like 4 years ago. I guess kickstarter is only for small-time indies and big brand revivals. This is super depressing to me.

What I can't figure out is how Indivisible has half the number of backers that Skullgirls did, which makes no sense to me. LZ went above and beyond with Skullgirls and I'm surprised they didn't all come back right away. And that's not counting people like me who didn't pay attention to SG until after the indiegogo (and I've bought it 3 times now
*cough* where's my vita copy *cough*
). This combined with people accusing LZ of not being brutally up front an honest, when they have a clear track record for all the see. This is kind of vexing.

If this gets funded I'll be so happy though. I'll continue to yell at my friends.

Apples and Oranges maybe? Ones a fighter, ones a RPG. Could just be a different niche and crowd altogether.

ZoronMaro

Apples and Oranges maybe? Ones a fighter, ones a RPG. Could just be a different niche and crowd altogether.

I thought of that, but Indivisible feels very much like a fighting game, I'd expect a lot of overlap in the venn diagram, but maybe I'm underestimating how many fighting games players only care about p2p matches. I wonder if a Vs. mode stretch goal would have helped, Mike talked about it on that one podcast.

Ravidrath

You need to get the console market more interested if you want to sell physical copies.

You don't say... HMMMM.

I felt like this project was out of my price range, but my wife demanded that we back it just to throw some money at http://kinucakes.tumblr.com/ for being fucking awesome.

There are a lot of crowdfunded games looking to capture or blend the style of older games, but very few have art assets of this quality.

We have to wait till the first of the month to do it due to finances, but we're happy to support high caliber work.

Thanks for your support!

And she has so many Tumblr followers! And so does Alex! So, again, I'm surprised more aren't showing up. Especially since Razmi is so popular and Mariel created her.

This isn't super scientific, but when I had to distribute vouchers for missing Encore codes, we did it by looking at the people's trophy data to verify that they had the previous version of the game.

I'm pretty sure that every single person I looked at had Dragon's Crown on their list. And many had P4G. And a lot of Neptunia, too, I think.

Those were the most common ones I recall seeing, but RPGs were well-represented in their trophy lists.

Datschge

I have to say I'm legit surprised that more people aren't biting on the physical release.

I know we're not Bloodstained or Shenmue, but those games had a pretty even split between digital and physical copies. And it's not even close for us.
For international backers the added shipping costs make higher tiers more costly than they already are. Making the physical parts optional for tiers that add otherwise purely digital value would go a long way there.

NEO0MJ

Introducing Kaldi of Ethiopia, courtesy of Wiki.

A bunch of the incarnations are based on existing myths like Thorani and the Anansi one I wanna see more of so bad.

I see. Still, I want some rep ;;

This isn't super scientific, but when I had to distribute vouchers for missing Encore codes, we did it by looking at the people's trophy data to verify that they had the previous version of the game.

I'm pretty sure that every single person I looked at had Dragon's Crown on their list. And many had P4G. And a lot of Neptunia, too, I think.

Those were the most common ones I recall seeing, but RPGs were well-represented in their trophy lists.

Should have advertised a dating sim element :p

Golnei

Even if they ended up changing nothing about the game itself, marketing the more social link-ish aspects of Incarnation sidequests could have helped in that regard. Razmi, Yan and Thorani at the very least would lend themselves fairly well to that angle.

I have to say I'm legit surprised that more people aren't biting on the physical release.

I know we're not Bloodstained or Shenmue, but those games had a pretty even split between digital and physical copies. And it's not even close for us.
There are probably several factors at work here. Those KS campaigns have a far larger established audience on KS, far more international reach (once again thanks to KS) and the audience they primarily catered to was already console centric for decades. I don't know how much money they got on a regional level, but the amount of money and contributors from Japan (an extremely physical centric gaming audience) must have dwarfed even that of the SG campaign. Even the Western audience they catered to had far stronger console ties than that of the Lab Zero audience that has gotten your products digitally. Still, there are 17 days left and there are surely a TON of people waiting until the final days to jump in. I bet there are hundreds if not thousands planning to update their pledges as well.
It makes me a little angry that Lab Zero's attempts at transparency are being mistrusted while people will just throw money at shady people. But that's society I guess.
Don't expect too much from the gaming audience. You'll only end up disappointed.
Great design, though I'm disappointed he isn't Arab, considering their big role in the popularization of coffee :(
A South African Roobios tea farmer would have been great too. Probably my top herbal tea right there.
People can correct me if I'm wrong and I don't follow kickstarter too closely so I may very well be, but I think if this got funded it would be by far the largest crowdfund that was trying to do something original. It's like Valkrie Profile, and kinda like Metriod, but I'd say Indivisible is actually more it's own thing and is the most original game I've seen in years, and not just on kickstarter. If this fails it proves that crowdfunding doesn't actually work for large-scale original ideas, which was kind of always the dream of what I wanted kickstarter to be when I first heard about it like 4 years ago. I guess kickstarter is only for small-time indies and big brand revivals. This is super depressing to me.

What I can't figure out is how Indivisible has half the number of backers that Skullgirls did, which makes no sense to me. LZ went above and beyond with Skullgirls and I'm surprised they didn't all come back right away. And that's not counting people like me who didn't pay attention to SG until after the indiegogo (and I've bought it 3 times now
*cough* where's my vita copy *cough*
). This combined with people accusing LZ of not being brutally up front an honest, when they have a clear track record for all the see. This is kind of vexing.

If this gets funded I'll be so happy though. I'll continue to yell at my friends.
Failure here wouldn't be on kickstarter, it'd be on Indiegogo. I still think there is plenty of hope if people who are in a position to contribute do so already. The pace of daily contributions has slowed down too much. It needs to pick up again.
And she has so many Tumblr followers! And so does Alex! So, again, I'm surprised more aren't showing up. Especially since Razmi is so popular and Mariel created her.
Some are probably waiting until the last days, but that will just do more harm than good if numbers aren't good enough by the last five days or so. People need to get in there already even if they have to upgrade to the tiers they initially wanted later.
One day they're going to make a crowdfund for a SkullgirlsxIndivisible dating sim and they'll make so much profit they'll be able to buy Darkstalkers off Capcom. Then we can finally get a worthy Vampire Savior sequel.
Even if they ended up changing nothing about the game itself, marketing the more social link-ish aspects of Incarnation sidequests could have helped in that regard. Razmi, Yan and Thorani at the very least would lend themselves fairly well to that angle.
I've played almost no persona, so anything from that would be highly interesting. Me thinks they'd be too busy putting together a perfectly great ARPG to bother with any extra mechanics or ideas, though. Indivisible fully fleshed out with tons of levels, bosses, weapons, incarnations, music and such will be mind blowing.

Samemind

I was thinking of dropping in my pledge in multiple parts just to kind give of a consistent push to the funding rate, but I'm a bit apprehensive due to some comments about how it seems unclear how modifying your pledge works. Anyone able to give a concise explanation of what I should expect if I decide not to put in everything at once?

Ravidrath

I was thinking of dropping in my pledge in multiple parts just to kind give of a consistent push to the funding rate, but I'm a bit apprehensive due to some comments about how it seems unclear how modifying your pledge works. Anyone able to give a concise explanation of what I should expect if I decide not to put in everything at once?

It's not too bad, really.

Under your IGG settings, choose "My Contributions," and then "Upgrade my Perk."

Ravidrath

So PayPal randomly put a restriction on our account, because they want some updated business documents.

...We've had this account for nearly three years, and they decide to do this NOW?

And they said it could take 7-10 business days for the restriction to be lifted. It may be possible to expedite it, but obviously this is a huge problem.

So PayPal randomly put a restriction on our account, because they want some updated business documents.

...We've had this account for nearly three years, and they decide to do this NOW?

And they said it could take 7-10 business days for the restriction to be lifted. It may be possible to expedite it, but obviously this is a huge problem.

Goddammit, and at such a crucial time too.

Best of luck guys, I'm rooting for you!

joe2187

Banned

The curse returns....

You've got a heart of gold ravi....dont let them take it from you!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

What a mess. That shouldn't affect the actual campaign, right?

Cellsai

What a mess. That shouldn't affect the actual campaign, right?

They literally can't accept any pledges while this is happening.

I would imagine until this is fixed, the campaign is effectively dead in the water :/

... on the plus side though, this can be used for more press?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
They literally can't accept any pledges while this is happening.

I would imagine until this is fixed, the campaign is effectively dead in the water :/

... on the plus side though, this can be used for more press?

I wasn't sure if that's how they were receiving pledges. IndieGoGo funding is weird.

Ravidrath

So PayPal's site says the restriction on the account shouldn't affect receiving funds.

So my best guess is that IGG payment system automatically blocks any account with a restriction on it, even if PayPal itself isn't restricting receipt of funds.

Crocodile

Why? Shouldn't they know who you are from the Skullgirls campaign? This is actual bullshit!

So PayPal's site says the restriction on the account shouldn't affect receiving funds.

So my best guess is that IGG payment system automatically blocks any account with a restriction on it, even if PayPal itself isn't restricting receipt of funds.

Someone tried to contribute recently and posted this. So either way the money isn't getting through. In case this isn't resolved by tomorrow morning, is there an option to extend the campaign? Because this is going to stop a lot of people who actually want to contribute from doing so.

Moonlight

Banned
Holy shit, this was a scare. Good to see things got resolved pretty fast.

Someone at Paypal has it out for you guys, I fucking swear.

Lime

Will this also mean a Japanese PSN release? I could imagine the Valkyrie Profile crowd over there would be happy to see a successor.

DrArchon

Outstanding news! One of the things I was worried about was not getting enough attention from the console crowd, and this is way better late than never.

And another excuse to get Indivisible mentioned in media is never a bad thing.

I think a more likely explanation is that Vita owners like RPGs, not fighting game fans like RPGs. Also Dragon's Crown was a free PS+ game & I'm guessing many if not most Vita owners have PS+.

Ravidrath

We had hoped to get this out this week, but hit some snags with publishing because of confusion about whether Lab Zero or 505 should be publishing it.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Called it.
Damn well done, I almost replied to your post saying "pfft like that's ever going to happen" haha... wasn't expecting this at all. Is there any precedent for such a thing?

Anyway good luck to LZ, hope it ends up making a difference (or that ahem Sony picks you up somehow... ^^)

Samemind

Damn well done, I almost replied to your post saying "pfft like that's ever going to happen" haha... wasn't expecting this at all. Is there any precedent for such a thing?

Anyway good luck to LZ, hope it ends up making a difference (or that ahem Sony picks you up somehow... ^^)

Well, there was another team who's work got published by Konami (at one point)...

daammyy

This will be the first game i've ever backed. The prototype was amazing. If they dont reach the goal i hope Sony will help them out.

Nope, this is probably the firstiest first of all the firsts in this campaign.

Very grateful to Sony for letting us do this.

After the Skullgirls publishing problems, the driver that somehow forced itself into the PS4 and this, Sony is gonna be "Ok what do they want now?" each time you call them.

Ravidrath

After the Skullgirls publishing problems, the driver that somehow forced itself into the PS4 and this, Sony is gonna be "Ok what do they want now?" each time you call them.

Not that they owe us anything, but I really wish that everyone that we saved money from needing to buy a new stick would throw us some of those savings.

Top Bottom