• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indivisible: Valkyrie Profile/Metroid, Indiegogo, PC/Mac/Linux/PS4/XB1 -- funded!

vulva

It's the connotations of being an indie game, sadly. I understand the reservation, as the ideal price point for a digital indie release is perceived to be a lot lower than $30, especially when it's 2D. Skullgirls probably didn't help either. $15 was a great deal at the time, but there was arguably more content there than the cost merited, and it skewed the idea of the value. But if there's going to be as much content as what it claims, I have no problems pledging $30 for a beautiful 20-30 hour action RPG. Plus there's a level of polish to Lab Zero stuff that puts it above typical indie fair in terms of presentation, imo.
My reservation comes from this being fifteen bucks more than the previous option which has fifteen bucks of content I don't care about. Why pay additional for content I don't have any interest in? I'd rather pay twenty for just the game than pay for stuff I'd never use. Indie game has nothing to do with it, it's the presented value.

D-Man

The game looks fantastic. I backed a few dollars back when the Skullgirls campaign happened, but I think I'm gonna put $30 on this for the digital version. I'll be sure to do that as soon as I get some more cash.

Good luck to you guys!

Hastati

My reservation comes from this being fifteen bucks more than the previous option which has fifteen bucks of content I don't care about. Why pay additional for content I don't have any interest in? I'd rather pay twenty for just the game than pay for stuff I'd never use. Indie game has nothing to do with it, it's the presented value.

It's okay to consider a tier as a value proposition, but you can also consider it as supporting a project you want realized with the understanding that you will necessarily not get a full return on that amount. I consider crowdfunding as more donation than investment, although that's certainly a point of great debate. It's up to you, really.

Played the Prototype.

I want to like this game, because the platforming controls really well and it's suuuper pretty, but I'm not a fan of how the battle system works at all. It's a clever idea, but it gets repetitive. :/

Played the Prototype.

I want to like this game, because it's suuuper pretty, but I'm not a fan of how the battle system works at all. It's a clever idea, but it gets repetitive. :/

I imagine it will become more varied later on, seeing as it is a prototype. I think the prototype had 4 enemy types, total? Most of them only had an attack or two as well. If it were a full-fledged demo I'd have more reservations, but as a proof-of-concept working under the assumption that the battle system will become more fleshed out I found it exciting.

NEO0MJ

It's really not that different from games that offer a low tier pledge that only rewards you wallapapers. Most $15 games won't become cheaper if they remove the $5 wallpaper tier. You're not paying for the soundtrack and the game, you're paying for the game and getting the soundtrack as a bonus, like how Atlus does it.

Snakebee

Neo Member
Just watched the campaign trailer and played the prototype. The world needs this game to happen, they have my support.

amlabella

Interesting to see a project like this on Indiegogo instead of Kickstarter, though they did something with Skullgirls on that site, right? I guess you go where you have the experience.

Looks like a great initial pitch, I especially like the approach to character progression in which weapon/armor upgrades are more significant. I tend to prefer that over straight stat bonuses.

Dio

Banned
I really do love that Lab Zero exists. Hand-drawn clean 2D animation is a rare art in all fields these days (I'm biased because that's my background) and the only games I can think of that are doing this that have any exposure at all recently are 1. Indivisible and 2. Cuphead.

Everyone's doing Spine or Flash or 3D or Vanillaware's tebineri or UBIart these days.

I imagine it will become more varied later on, seeing as it is a prototype. I think the prototype had 4 enemy types, total? Most of them only had an attack or two as well. If it were a full-fledged demo I'd have more reservations, but as a proof-of-concept working under the assumption that the battle system will become more fleshed out I found it exciting.

That wasn't really my problem though. The battles screwed up the pacing. One moment I'm playing a platformer with very quick and precise controls--the next moment, I can't walk around at all.

I guess it's not that inherently different from any other turn-based RPG, but somehow the fluidity of the non-combat controls make it much worse. The two styles don't mesh, at least for me.

Dio

Banned
That wasn't really my problem though. The battles screwed up the pacing. One moment I'm playing a platformer with very quick and precise controls--the next moment, I can't walk around at all.

I guess it's not that inherently different from any other turn-based RPG, but somehow the fluidity of the non-combat controls make it much worse. The two styles don't mesh, at least for me.

As said by Ravid earlier in the thread, this is also supplemented by the fact that if you can do over 40% of an enemy's health in that preliminary hit before combat, you will kill them without even entering a battle phase.

Also, since it worked really well in Valkyrie Profile (and that game had platforming too) I don't see why they wouldn't take design cues from that.

As said by Ravid earlier in the thread, this is also supplemented by the fact that if you can do over 40% of an enemy's health in that preliminary hit before combat, you will kill them without even entering a battle phase.

Ohhh, how do you do that? I kept making sure to attack first, but it never seemed to deal a substantial amount of damage. Is it just timing?

After giving the prototype a good few runs, it's safe to say I'm in love with this project. Can't back it right now, but hopefully I'll gather some funds for it before the end of the camapaign. Good stuff, very good stuff!

Haven't played the prototype, but I absolutely adore Valkyrie Profile and also Lab Zero's artsyle, so I'm in for $60.

Really surprised really nobody built upon Valkyrie Profile really until now. It's a great battle system with a ton of room for improvement I feel. Can't wait to see what Lab Zero does to the system and how they differentiate ect.

Skilletor

I kind of don't want to play this, because if it doesn't get funded, I would be very sad. Valkyrie Profile is my absolute favorite RPG series ever and three of my favorite games (yes, even the srpg). This looks so fucking amazing. I'll definitely back as much as I can...but man.

This looks so good. I hope you guys make it, because this is seriously a dream game.

Durante

Completed the prototype. Really solid overall. The battle system came into its own in the boss fight.

I'll back it.

Elixist

Played the demo it was neat. I'd rather it was a straight up action game personally, dint dig t h e turn based that much. Animation was amazing.

Lime

I kind of don't want to play this, because if it doesn't get funded, I would be very sad. Valkyrie Profile is my absolute favorite RPG series ever and three of my favorite games (yes, even the srpg). This looks so fucking amazing. I'll definitely back as much as I can...but man.

This looks so good. I hope you guys make it, because this is seriously a dream game.

You literally wrote the exact sentiments that I have with this game. Valkyrie Profile is my favorite JRPG of all time and this is a dream project by talented and passionate people with really interesting characters, a wide range of locales/settings, and the best mechanics one can hope for.

There's no justice in the world if this doesn't reach 1.5 million. My heart will be broken.

Hmm. I don't see this hitting its target unless it gets some pretty good press coverage in the next couple of days. At the current rate it won't make half in the first 3 days (currently on track for ~600 000 in the first 3 days) , which makes a final 3 days surge much more unlikely and without that it isn't going to even come close on current trends.

I've thrown some money into the pot though and hope things work out.

Played the demo it was neat. I'd rather it was a straight up action game personally, dint dig t h e turn based that much. Animation was amazing.
I wouldn't really call it turn based. It's not a straight-up brawler, but there aren't really "turns". You can attack whenever one of your characters has a bar filled. You don't have to wait for your enemies to attack

Labadal

The shipping totally kills the $60 tier for me. That's very unfortunate, because I really wanted that physical edition. I do understand why it has to be that way, though.

If there was a $60 digital double pack, I'd get that in a heartbeat.

I'm at $30 and will try to spread the word.

Ravidrath

Completed the prototype. Really solid overall. The battle system came into its own in the boss fight.

I'll back it.

Thanks so much!

...And don't worry, we'll have AA and other graphical options some day. Just no time to add those to the engine along with everything else we did making the prototype.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Played the prototype super solid stuff. Was impressed.

One question I have though and maybe this was only a problem because I suck(maybe I haven't understood something) but it got a bit too chaotic to see who you need to guard with when you have the full party running.
I just pressed all the buttons at those moments but that drains the bar pretty quickly.

Are more visual guard cues something that might get implemented or is this just something you expect people will just learn over time?

DR2K

Banned
You literally wrote the exact sentiments that I have with this game. Valkyrie Profile is my favorite JRPG of all time and this is a dream project by talented and passionate people with really interesting characters, a wide range of locales/settings, and the best mechanics one can hope for.

There's no justice in the world if this doesn't reach 1.5 million. My heart will be broken.

The music and atmosphere are really special. Love the battle theme.

Ravidrath

Played the prototype super solid stuff. Was impressed.

One question I have though and maybe this was only a problem because I suck(maybe I haven't understood something) but it got a bit too chaotic to see who you need to guard with when you have the full party running.
I just pressed all the buttons at those moments but that drains the bar pretty quickly.

Are more visual guard cues something that might get implemented or is this just something you expect people will just learn over time?

It's something we're going to work on, because it's been a consistent issue for a lot of people. What's there now went in only a few days before the prototype shipped.

Also, the prototype does ramp up pretty quickly just because we're trying to show progression and how things might go in the final game. So I think it's safe to say that in the final game, the reaction curve will increase much more gradually than it does in this prototype.

For what it's worth, though, after a few playthroughs I got the hang of looking for the characters to blink red and block so that I was regularly gaining meter off of the blocks instead of spending it, which makes a huge difference in the end.

Been trying to spread the word to my friends. Come payday, I'll be throwing in my $125. Really wanted to go for the $500 tier, but AUD to USD conversion rates would kill me.

Ravidrath

Rav, since you seem to not be sleeping and in case you didn't see my question earlier :)

"The term "giclee print" connotes an elevation in printmaking technology. Images are generated from high resolution digital scans and printed with archival quality inks onto various substrates including canvas, fine art, and photo-base paper."

Basically, it's a very high-quality, art-grade print. If you've seen the Ukiyoe Heroes line of prints, those are giclee.

And we'd hoped to get at least some kind of sketch done, and still might. But last I talked to Alex about it, the thought was that this would be something cute to differentiate it in mood from the statue. Thought was something like Ajna playing with Roti, etc.

I like how you feel like you have to reassure Durante on that even when he didn't say anything. xD

Haha, well, I know my GAF!

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Here are the 3 video game Kickstarters that raised a little over $1.5 million.

First day raised / First + Second day raised
Warmachine Tactics - $346,345 / $540,691
Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey - $336,736 / $479,038
Bard's Tale - $706,030 / $907,270

Bard's Tale is a bit of an outlier since they had a special promotion where you got a free game if you donated early on. However, you can see the other two are fairly consistent - they raised over 20% of that $1.5 million in the first day and were at around 1/3rd of the $1.5 total by the end of the 2nd day.

Maybe Indiegogo trends are very different than Kickstarter, but you can see why I would be worried. I think this game looks amazing and would love to see it made, but I just don't see them raising $300k by the end of today or around half a million by the end of tomorrow. And if you aren't around those benchmarks, then people stop donating because they figure you're DOA.

For a 20+ hour Action/RPG with gorgeous 2D art? Not particularly. However, it's hard to convince tens of thousands of people to pay you $30 in advance for a game that isn't going to be done for a couple years.

Replying to your latest, but really to all your points.

Its 9 hours in, you're sounding extremely negative way too early. Lab Zero has always done things their own way, their first Indiegogo project a couple of years ago did not have a strong start and even faced some harsh reservations from the gaming community (GAF included). The campaign evolved as it went on, was completely transparent to their backers (they were pioneers in that aspect, if I recall) and actually built up to raise most of their money on the last few days.

You and your company have raised money before (as have I) so your experience does have some weight, but so does theirs. They have a dedicated fanbase, a fantastic playable prototype and great connections around the industry that will keep them in the spotlight during the next 40+ days. I think its erroneous to compare them to campaigns that raised half their funds on their first day, that sounds like the exceptions, thats not the way this company nor the fanbase is. Skullgirls and Lab Zero have always been diligent, steady and won over lifelong fans one at a time (me included). You mention that the FGC community was responsible for their previous success and I strongly disagree with that statement because I saw a ton of cynicism from that very same community back then, it was a concentrated effort from the people involved in order to win people over, by getting them to play the game and realize that it was an endeavor worth supporting, because it had value.

I'm sure this campaign will be successful. The people involved, the work that's being put out and the community support makes this a guarantee.

Lime

"The term "giclee print" connotes an elevation in printmaking technology. Images are generated from high resolution digital scans and printed with archival quality inks onto various substrates including canvas, fine art, and photo-base paper."

Basically, it's a very high-quality, art-grade print. If you've seen the Ukiyoe Heroes line of prints, those are giclee.

And we'd hoped to get at least some kind of sketch done, and still might. But last I talked to Alex about it, the thought was that this would be something cute to differentiate it in mood from the statue. Thought was something like Ajna playing with Roti, etc.

Haha, well, I know my GAF!

Sounds perfect, I'll definitely throw in at least 275 then, if not 500.

Don't forget to get some rest and sleep :)

Sorry that I've been so negative. I've been nothing but positive on Twitter (multiple links to the campaign & even pinged Kat Bailey at USGamer since I know Valkyrie Profile is one of her all-time favorite games), but figured I could talk shop here. I really like discussing crowdfunding efforts, both the good and the ugly, and even wrote a weekly Kickstarter article for several months back before I started to grow tired of the lack of interesting projects (last year was really slow).

If I had the money to publish this game, I would in a heartbeat. I know they know how to make quality games and that's enough for me. Since I'm not a big publisher but a starving indie, about all I can do is hope that the quality of the playable prototype means that a slow but steady march to victory is possible.

Fishious

I managed to sneak in a little time with the prototype during my lunch. I...there are no words. I was expecting the mechanics to be a little clunky since this was just a prototype, but no, the whole experience was buttery smooth. Just the basics of moving, wall jumping, axe jumping (?) were fantastic. Even if the level design were atrocious (which even for the these areas it wasn't) just moving around felt right.

And the combat! Everything's so fast paced and fluid. Even though it's real time there's this nice give and take as you launch and assault then wait for the meters to refill/ prepare to incoming attacks. When I got Zebei I had a lot of trouble identifying who to block with, but by the time I had all 4 in my party I was doing individual blocks perfectly every time. Now that I'm home I need to give this another shot with a controller and get to the boss this time.

So Ravidrath, any chance you guys will be adding add ons to the campaign? I'd like to purchase a couple of extra digital copies for my friends.

Ravidrath

Sorry that I've been so negative. I've been nothing but positive on Twitter (multiple links to the campaign & even pinged Kat Bailey at USGamer since I know Valkyrie Profile is one of her all-time favorite games), but figured I could talk shop here. I really like discussing crowdfunding efforts, both the good and the ugly, and even wrote a weekly Kickstarter article for several months back before I started to grow tired of the lack of interesting projects (last year was really slow).

If I had the money to publish this game, I would in a heartbeat. I know they know how to make quality games and that's enough for me. Since I'm not a big publisher but a starving indie, about all I can do is hope that the quality of the playable prototype means that a slow but steady march to victory is possible.

Thanks.

I definitely had the same impression RS did, and was thinking about PM'ing you about it.

But the general sense I'd gotten so far was that you'd parked yourself in another dev's thread and just... sowed doubt?

While you and I are just about the only actively posting open devs on here, I can't imagine you'd appreciate it if I did this on your next CF campaign.

We're well aware that this isn't going to be a walk in the park, and we went into this with our eyes open. That's why we went out of our way to convince 505 Games to fund the playable prototype, tried put together a really appealing package with Kikuta, etc.

From my point of view, we have done everything gamers say they want in a crowdfunding campaign. And we're used to being underestimated.

I mean, you saw the thread for our last campaign, right?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I would humbly suggest putting more emphasis on Kikuta, perhaps in your pitch video or somewhere higher on the page. Namedropping the Secret of Mana composer might seem cheesy and distasteful, but I think it might actually work in your favour marketing-wise?

Thanks.

I definitely had the same impression RS did, and was thinking about PM'ing you about it.

But the general sense I'd gotten so far was that you'd parked yourself in another dev's thread and just... sowed doubt?

While you and I are just about the only actively posting open devs on here, I can't imagine you'd appreciate it if I did this on your next CF campaign.

We're well aware that this isn't going to be a walk in the park, and we went into this with our eyes open. That's why we went out of our way to convince 505 Games to fund the playable prototype, tried put together a really appealing package with Kikuta, etc.

From my point of view, we have done everything gamers say they want in a crowdfunding campaign. And we're used to being underestimated.

I mean, you saw the thread for our last campaign, right?

Just deleted all of my negative comments. Me feeling depressed is no reason to get everyone down.

Dio

Banned
While you and I are just about the only actively posting open devs on here,

You never know ;)

I would humbly suggest putting more emphasis on Kikuta, perhaps in your pitch video or somewhere higher on the page. Namedropping the Secret of Mana composer might seem cheesy and distasteful, but I think it might actually work in your favour marketing-wise?

If you look a little more there's a video from Kikuta himself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwQkqbHY_58

Instro

For what it's worth, Mighty No. 9 had a pretty low first day, ~150k, but had massive days after that, along with being very consistent day to day. It's just going to depend on how well it does day to day for the next few weeks and if awareness and interest builds. There's a few out there with low initial funding but still making it over a mil.

Pathfinder Online also started low, like 80k, and made it over a million. It can be done but they'll need a lot of help/luck.

At least with a meaty prototype like this, there's plenty of opportunities to get it into the hands of YouTubers and such.
The sooner Giant Bomb plays this, the better

Lime

I really don't see how the pitch could have been better. Excellent build-up, complete transparency, realistic goals, publisher backing, and a freaking playable prototype of very high quality. You might criticize indiegogo as a platform and mindshare, but Lab Zero has hit all the right notes.

The prototype also puts the game in the hands of all the Lets Play YouTube personalities. Imagine if pewdiepie or sterling or someone else with a large following picked it up and signal boosted it.

Ravidrath

Ravidrath, is it possible to release your prototype for free on Steam? Might help.

Hmm, good question.

I'll need to check with 505, but I expect Steam to take a "what's in this for us" stance.

I really don't see how the pitch could have been better. Excellent build-up, complete transparency, realistic goals, publisher backing, and a freaking playable prototype of very high quality. You might criticize indiegogo as a platform and mindshare, but Lab Zero has hit all the right notes.

The prototype also puts the game in the hands of all the Lets Play YouTube personalities. Imagine if pewdiepie or sterling or someone else with a large following picked it up and signal boosted it.

If only we had the money to pay for that kind of coverage. But we spent it making a prototype for the public, instead. :p

Dio

Banned
To be honest, I think people are a little too used to getting 1000000 dollars on the first day on visible kickstarters and blowing right past goals.

Games like Armikrog and Amplitude made their goals with huge growth near the end of their projects, and in Amplitude's case it was quite unbalanced:

B6ttV3V.png

If the word gets out and things start really ramping up, I don't see this being completely out of reach.

Top Bottom