• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indivisible: Valkyrie Profile/Metroid, Indiegogo, PC/Mac/Linux/PS4/XB1 -- funded!

DrArchon

What this really needs is for outlets to pick up on this and have a story or two about the campaign. I really feel that helped Skullgirl's CF run in terms of just getting the word out there.

This is pretty much where I'm at. If this was on Kickstarter I'd have backed immediately, but I don't feel particularly inclined to start up an account with another service. Might keep an eye on this and see if they need the money down the line, otherwise I'll be happy to wait until post release to buy it.
You don't need an IGG account. Just an email and Paypal

BiggNife

This is pretty much where I'm at. If this was on Kickstarter I'd have backed immediately, but I don't feel particularly inclined to start up an account with another service. Might keep an eye on this and see if they need the money down the line, otherwise I'll be happy to wait until post release to buy it.

Like I said, literally all you need to do is put in your email and paypal. That's it. No account creation.

TimmiT

CQjskSzWUAA4Qj9.png:large

\o/

Ryne

My exact feelings as well. Also not too much of a fan of paying up front.

I do hope you guys succeed, and I may still back it in the future.

I'll buy the game regardless as it does seem like my type of game.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Check the page. It's a "fixed funding" campaign. Which essentially means it's just like a Kickstarter.

No, that's not true for Fixed Funding campaigns - Flexible Funding campaigns are the campaigns that keep the money if you don't hit the goal.

They do charge you right away, but you will be refunded if we don't hit the goal.

We can't do anything without the full amount, so there's no point in holding onto it.

Ah I see, I wasn't aware that they'd added that option.

Dio

Banned
My exact feelings as well. Also not too much of a fan of paying up front.

I do hope you guys succeed, and I may still back it in the future.

I'll buy the game regardless as it does seem like my type of game.

You don't need to make an account. I was wary at first as well, until I realized literally all I had to do was type in my email and type in my password to pay with paypal.

MUnited83

For you.
I think it being in Indiegogo will hurt it's visibility somewhat :/. Has there even been a videogame campaign in indiegogo that did more than 1$million?

Ah I see, I wasn't aware that they'd added that option.

I think they always had it.

No giving anyone my money for 2+ years on the hope that a game could be good.

Then what are you doing here in thread? Surely you could ignore it instead of shitposting?

Yes, about 2% less, all told.

Hmm, so $30,000 more. To be honest, I think the difference in familiarity most people have between KS and IG may cost more then that. Looking at it closely it's surprisingly easy to back (not having to create an account to back is a great touch), but I worry about how many people will actually get to the point where they find that out.

BTW, any reason there's not a gog.com option?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Wow, this a big goal. If this was on KS I would consider pitching in after awhile but I think I will wait this out. Especially when you are trying to set a record for the platform and you already have a publisher.

Game looks great!

Wow, this a big goal. If this was on KS I would consider pitching in after awhile but I think I will wait this out. Especially when you are trying to set a record for the platform and you already have a publisher.

Game looks great!
They may have publisher support, but it's dependent on the IGG success. if the IGG isn't funded, the game isn't getting made

Game looks great!

You only need a paypal account with IG now, don't even have to create an account - and without reaching their goal the game won't come out.

BiggNife

Game looks great!

Wait, what? What kind of logic is that? You're not going to bother because of how big the goal is? If you want the game to happen, then you should give them money.

And if you actually bothered to read the IGG pitch, they straight up say that Indivisible won't happen if they don't get the 1.5mil. 505 is only promising 2 million and they need 3.5 to make the game.

Tizoc

Unlikely.

The game will retail for $30, and you get the digital OST on top of that.

And I think it's a pretty meaty game for $30.

Fair enough, I liked Skullgirls and I'm backing this just not right now due to my financials ^^;
Nearing the last week or so I'll back it.
Best of luck!

Shengar

Game looks great. I really want this to be funded and happened since I loved Skullgirls animation but lacking in skill to properly appreciate it. Indivisible with its RPG style of gameplay is really right up in my alley, but alas being poor student I can't afford any credit card :(

I leave the rest to the gaming community.
For a fully animated single character, it took around 200-300,000 dollars per Skullgirls character, and 150,000 for that DLC character Squigly:

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/the-little-fighting-game-that-could/1100-4587/

Damn, this makes me wonder how much a character from GG: Xrd would cost.

Tamanator

Looks very interesting. Indiegogo and a lack of a Wii U version makes me hesitant to back it for some reason though. I'll see how the campaign goes though, I have a track record of flip flopping when it comes to backing kickstarters/crowd funding campaigns.

AAK

This has to be one of my least favourite battle systems, so I dunno if I'll ever play this game.

But I'm still backing this as a thank you to lab zero for the incredible work they did with SKULLGIRLS. Good luck to you guys.

NEO0MJ

In for $250! Wish I could go above but that's my limit financially ;-;

To make up for that I'll try my hardest to spread the word :)

Looks very interesting. Indiegogo and a lack of a Wii U version makes me hesitant to back it for some reason though. I'll see how the campaign goes though, I have a track record of flip flopping when it comes to backing kickstarters/crowd funding campaigns.

Considering the game will be out in 2018 I'm not surprised by the lack of Wii U version. Unfortunately not much info is available on the NX so they can't make it part of the campaign or even a stretch goal.

In for $250! Wish I could go above but that's my limit financially ;-;

To make up for that I'll try my hardest to spread the word :)
Man, you are getting a framed Giclee print. You done good, soldier.
Hmm, so $30,000 more. To be honest, I think the difference in familiarity most people have between KS and IG may cost more then that. Looking at it closely it's surprisingly easy to back (not having to create an account to back is a great touch), but I worry about how many people will actually get to the point where they find that out.

BTW, any reason there's not a gog.com option?
OP should quote the post below in his opening to clear this misunderstanding up from the start.
You don't need to make an account. I was wary at first as well, until I realized literally all I had to do was type in my email and type in my password to pay with paypal.

TimmiT

Game looks great!

The publisher is only partially funding it. They're also not just trying to set a record, games are usually expensive to make. More expensive than the usual Kickstarter for an indie game would make you believe anyway.

This has to be one of my least favourite battle systems, so I dunno if I'll ever play this game.

But I'm still backing this as a thank you to lab zero for the incredible work they did with SKULLGIRLS. Good luck to you guys.
Did you check out the prototype?

Game looks great. I really want this to be funded and happened since I loved Skullgirls animation but lacking in skill to properly appreciate it. Indivisible with its RPG style of gameplay is really right up in my alley, but alas being poor student I can't afford any credit card :(

I leave the rest to the gaming community
What about a Visa Gift Card? As a college student, that's what I used before I got a credit card

hupla

Gonna back at the Plushie friend tier, was super happy with the skullgirls crowdfundand the prototype was great!

Dio

Banned

I leave the rest to the gaming community.

Damn, this makes me wonder how much a character from GG: Xrd would cost.

If you want to learn more about Xrd's development:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2099538#post2099538
http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2107579&postcount=229

Xrd didn't just have amazing animation, they had incredible coders that invented techniques that Unreal Engine 3 didn't even support. It probably cost quite a lot more than Skullgirls ever did, even though it's 3D.

Characters also needed to fake or exaggerate perspective in ways changing the camera's field of view couldn't achieve so this was done through allowing bone scaling on all three axes. UE3's animation system can't do that out of the box, they had to code it themselves and cite it as a great advantage to having access to the source code. And once they had that in, that meant they'd also opened the door to all kinds of muscle motions, cartoony squash'n'stretch animations and deformations. A big punch will get a big fist and so on. Bone scaling is now a feature in UE4 and they like to think it's because of Xrd.

Don't forget that Xrd was made with every single individual frame in mind. This meant that they move parts of the face and body around for every single frame to make it look more 2D. The more frames they have to do that with, the more work is on them.

The frame-by-frame 'correction' to make it look more 2D can be seen here:

Each character had 400-600 bones and 170 of them were just for the face so they could move things around.

Will give the demo a whirl later. Everything looks really nice (I especially like the Southeast Asian setting/influences, it's not often explored in games), so assuming I like the demo I'm in for a physical copy. Best of luck Lab Zero!

BY2K

Membero Americo
Not a big fan of the 2D sprites on 3D environment thing. And here it looks pretty jarring. But it's 2 years away so I'll hold final judgement for later.

Shengar

What about a Visa Gift Card? As a college student, that's what I used before I got a credit card
Don't have that either. Plus, my money is in red from buying expensive digital audio player.
If you want to learn more about Xrd's development:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2099538#post2099538
http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2107579&postcount=229

Xrd didn't just have amazing animation, they had incredible coders that invented techniques that Unreal Engine 3 didn't even support. It probably cost quite a lot more than Skullgirls ever did, even though it's 3D.

Don't forget that Xrd was made with every single individual frame in mind. This meant that they move parts of the face and body around for every single frame to make it look more 2D. The more frames they have to do that with, the more work is on them.

The frame-by-frame 'correction' to make it look more 2D can be seen here:

Each character had 400-600 bones and 170 of them were just for the face so they could move things around.

Well shit. Saying it was magic looks like an understatement in Xrd case.

Dio

Banned
Not a big fan of the 2D sprites on 3D environment thing. And here it looks pretty jarring. But it's 2 years away so I'll hold final judgement for later.

Art director here - the temple interior is definitely not quite where we wanted it to be, visually. The backgrounds in Skullgirls were based off of single illustrations that we basically broke up into layers to give it a 3D look, which made it match the illustrative look of the characters. For Indivisible, though, we were building from modular pieces for the first time, which definitely made it look more 3D in comparison. It's something we're working on and figuring out, for sure.

She posted in the other thread.

Kintaro

Wait, what? What kind of logic is that? You're not going to bother because of how big the goal is? If you want the game to happen, then you should give them money.

And if you actually bothered to read the IGG pitch, they straight up say that Indivisible won't happen if they don't get the 1.5mil. 505 is only promising 2 million and they need 3.5 to make the game.

First of all, I rarely support crowd funding for videogames. That's all there is to it. I will wait and buy a finished product 99.9% of the time. So with that out of the way...

This game won't get made unless they get 1.5m which is by and large a record for indiegogo. That is already an uphill battle. Indiegogo also takes money upfront. I do not like that.

Also you are asking me to take a developers word up front for it in a pitch video when crowd funding has a history of such things changing over time. So, as much as I loved Skullgirls, I don't take their word at face value. You mean to tell me that if they manage like 800k a deal won't be cut to release the game anyway? I honestly don't believe that, We have seen other same the same and the game gets funded anyway. Sorry.

So I will wait and see. I normally don't fund these things and they have a huge gpal on a platform that take my !money right away.

You mean to tell me that if they manage like 800k a deal won't be cut to release the game anyway? I honestly don't believe that, We have seen other same the same and the game gets funded anyway. Sorry.
If they only make $800k, then you get refunded and the devs get $0.

Dio

Banned
Well shit. Saying it was magic looks like an understatement in Xrd case.

Just regarding the outlines on characters:

That takes care of the outlines, which occur on edges, but not inner lines. Just drawing them into the texture would show texel jaggies or blurry areas, so instead they used a trick they called "Motomura lines" (Motomura being the lead modeler and tech artist): all the lines are drawn strictly axis-aligned in textures, and instead you use the texture coordinates to control direction and thickness, including the start and end of lines. That way they stay sharp no matter the distance, but you'll even benefit from the texture filtering. Outlines are drawn in the alpha channel of the lighting control texture.

To invent a technique and name it after one of your team, you've gotta be doing something really special, almost like the Itano Circus or Yutapon Cubes in anime.

I'm really glad they did presentations and went to various events to show off the tech behind how they did it.

Kintaro

If they only make $800k, then you get refunded and the devs get $0.

Is it really so hard to understand how a person don't like to be charged right away and depends on a refund later? People don't preorder even $5 because of this.

Is it really so hard to understand how a person don't like to be charged right away and depends on a refund later? People don't preorder even $5 because of this.
Ah, thought you were saying it was a flexible findings thing where they'd keep the money

How good is this prototype?! The boss took me out first time. Good thing I figured out the mage can use the super meter to heal before that fight or I'd have had a lot more trouble. Loved it.

To be honest, this kind of style is usually a huge turn-off for me, but this already looks way more appealing than Ducktales Remastered or Shantae 4.

So when is the combat realtime, and when does it take place in a separate VP-inspired phase? The trailer pretty clearly shows both.

Just beat the demo.

This has to be the prototype I've played where I have the least complaints lol.

Took me 36mins. Extremely polished, great implementation of VP combat, fights are super fun, healing is OP (thanks for that), and even the balance is in a decent place too. Also putting in the mechanic of not having to fight weak enemies is very welcome. The soundtrack is nothing less than amazing too.

And I was always in love with Lab Zero's artstyle and animations. Some of the best I've ever seen, so I never had any complaints there.

My biggest complaint is sometimes starting to attack, not working, and then I mash it to see if the game responds, but then I was blocking all along and now I lost a bunch of meter =X (that and the protagonist dying=game over).
And those are hardly complaints to see with prototypes, they are things you only hear close to release/after release.

No glitches, no falling through the world, performance was rock solid on my shitty laptop. Just all around, amazing work.

I am going to play this prototype so many times >.>

Ravidrath

So when is the combat realtime, and when does it take place in a separate VP-inspired phase? The trailer pretty clearly shows both.

Playing the prototype would be the best way to get a sense of it.

But it's VP-style battle, but it transitions seamlessly. Camera just moves in and you're fighting. Win, camera moves out and you're platforming.

I am going to play this prototype so many times >.>

Glad you enjoyed it!

I think we've got something special here, and the more people that play it, the better our chances are.

Dio

Banned

You can play the demo right now if you want.

You can 'hit' the enemies right before entering the phase to do preliminary damage before the actual battle. Tales/Kiseki/etc lets you do this.

Lime

holy shit that video looks amazing. I might upgrade to $500 dollars if I can work some cash jobs on the side the next week or so.

Top Bottom