• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indivisible: Valkyrie Profile/Metroid, Indiegogo, PC/Mac/Linux/PS4/XB1 -- funded!

Psxphile

Whew, finally made it to the end of the thread. Can't believe I read the WHOOOOLE thing.

Uh, anyway: in for 60. Physical too good to pass up. Being a Keep Skullgirls Growing backer I got to play the protoype a few days ago but didn't really have a chance to drop impressions on it. I should probably play it again soon just to solidify my thoughts on it but so far I really like what I played: Valkyrie Profile, for me, has always been one of those infinitely re-playable games I end up knowing front and back but can't get enough of which I attribute to a fun battle system and I feel Indivisible will be the same way.

The fact that this didn't blow past the funding goal in 24 hours is kind of wrecking my faith in humanity, tbh

went in for $75 myself; don't need more physical stuff cluttering up my apartment but I am down with getting all the digital goodies

GKFinns

Just backed it at the $60 level. Absolutely loved Skullgirls and I couldn't resist having a physical copy of what is certain to be an excellent game.

Cannot wait!

The fact that this didn't blow past the funding goal in 24 hours is kind of wrecking my faith in humanity, tbh

Is the crowdfunding being in Indiegogo instead of Kickstarted has anything to do with it?
I for one am not too familiar with Indiegogo.

If I could I'd back it instantly. I'll definitely buy the game at launch.

Seyavesh

question for ravidrath: do you know if the team is planning to keep in the skullgirls hitsparks/hitsounds/hitstop? unfortunately i'm really not a fan of that game and that stuff was part of it, haha. it's one of those things that bugs me

this concept + labzero's incredible transparency pretty much guaranteed my backing on this though so it's just one of those things that i hope changes out of preference

Ravidrath

question for ravidrath: do you know if the team is planning to keep in the skullgirls hitsparks/hitsounds/hitstop? unfortunately i'm really not a fan of that game and that stuff was part of it, haha. it's one of those things that bugs me

this concept + labzero's incredible transparency pretty much guaranteed my backing on this though so it's just one of those things that i hope changes out of preference

No, the SFX and VFX are just being temporarily reused with Autumn Games' permission.

We were trying to replace them all, but there wasn't enough time.

zulux21

Is the crowdfunding being in Indiegogo instead of Kickstarted has anything to do with it?
I for one am not too familiar with Indiegogo.

If I could I'd back it instantly. I'll definitely buy the game at launch.

that would be part of it.

indiegogo takes the funds right away

kickstarter only takes the funds if it is successfully funded.

thus kickstarter you can back right away and worry about getting money to pay for your pledge during the campaign, with indiegogo you have to have the money already thus some people need a paycheck before pledging.

mao2

Oh man, I really wanna support you guys but I'm kinda hesitant to part with my money because the Malaysian Ringgit is horribly low right now. :(

note: things might have changed on indiegogo, this is just how it was a while back when I looked into it.

Yes, don't spread misinformation please...

The campaign is using fixed funding, so you will 100% certainly get refunded if the goal is not met.

zulux21

Yes, don't spread misinformation please...

The campaign is using fixed funding, so you will 100% certainly get refunded if the goal is not met.

altered the info in my post, though it doesn't change the reason a lot of people won't jump on right away. (with the funds being taken right away)

it's not like lab zero is an unknown group, I doubt many people would actually be afraid of being ripped off by them.

though it wouldn't hurt making it clear that you will be refunded as I never heard about the change to indiegogo. I just know the horror stories of people pledging to indiegogo the project not succeeding and people getting nothing for their pledge.

now that I know what I am looking for though I can see the tiny text below the current pledges that says fixed funding, and then can hover over it and see people will be refunded if it is not met. I am glad indiegogo has added such a thing though, it makes it a lot easier to back stuff early on there (one of the main reasons I have not backed on indiegogo even though I have quite a few backings on kickstarter)

Looks amazing, will back it as soon as I come home.
However I'm a bit concerned about a 1.5M$ goal on Indiegogo. Kinda slow first day, I think the project would have had a better visibility on Kickstarter. But hey, you guys know better than me!
By the way, solid compaign pitch, I hope it will be funded!

duckroll

I played the prototype last night. It was pretty late and I was tired, so some of the feedback might be a result of that. Anyway, overall I felt it was really polished, and controlled well. Traversal felt fluid and fun, while encounters transitioned really well, and the core battle system was very much Valkyrie Profile.

The main negative aspect I encountered was the visual cues and phase transitions in battle. This might be something that goes away with more practice, but I found some of it pretty frustrating initially. Player and enemy turns are not separated, so it's like an ATB battle system. But given the presentation of the game, I'm used to mentally planning out a combo string before executing. Here, I find that sometimes just as I'm about to execute, an enemy suddenly starts attacking, and I try to react to that immediately by blocking, and then I feel pressured to attack before another enemy gets a turn, so I tend to just mash buttons instead of executing what I was planning. Without knowing how long I have before an enemy makes a move, especially for the stronger boss characters, I find it hard to manage my turns well. Is there going to be a WAIT mode in the final game, or is this something that players are expected to learn to deal with?

Also, I find that with the addition of up and down attacks for characters in battle, sometimes when attacking an enemy and trying to use an up or down attack, it's possible to accidentally switch targets instead. Do you think it would be a good idea to limit target selection to left and right on the d-pad to prevent this, since those buttons aren't used in attacks at all.

Great prototype though. Really impressed, and I'll throw at least 30 bucks into it before the end of the campaign. Might go for the 75 buck digital tier too. Really hope it gets funded!

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
The prototype was pretty amazing and everything animates so fluidly. The only feedback I'd say would be similar to what Duckroll said regarding targeting. It could be me just pushing the stick awkwardly but I sometimes found myself accidentally targeting the wrong enemies while trying to hold up or down. Aside from that, I can't wait for the full release. So happy to back this.

Ravidrath

Yeah, we're working on making it easier to tell who is being attacked. It's a huge improvement from the way it was just days before the prototype was released, but we still need to do more.

Don't think we'll ever do a WAIT mode, but I think I'm going to push for at least an ATB speed setting. The prototype ramps up pretty quickly, and I would expect the final game to be a smoother ramp, too.

And... I don't think Up/Down work for selecting? For exactly the reason you specified. But I could be wrong. Possible it's just kind of confusing because the enemies are spread out in 3D and you have to select them only with left/right, giving the impression it's also moving up/down?

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Yeah, we're working on making it easier to tell who is being attacked. It's a huge improvement from the way it was just days before the prototype was released, but we still need to do more.

Don't think we'll ever do a WAIT mode, but I think I'm going to push for at least an ATB speed setting. The prototype ramps up pretty quickly, and I would expect the final game to be a smoother ramp, too.

And... I don't think Up/Down work for selecting? For exactly the reason you specified. But I could be wrong. Possible it's just kind of confusing because the enemies are spread out in 3D and you have to select them only with left/right, giving the impression it's also moving up/down?
I may have been pressing the analog stick to the right/left instead of up/down due to me getting all frenetic. You can disregard my previous comment. Don't want to give incorrect feedback.

Zero3K

Ravidrath: Will there be any supers that are so powerful that they break the bar? I ask that because the fact that the bar is shared between the party reminded me of the Overdrive Bar that is in Riviera: The Promised Land. Also, are there different supers depending on how much it is filled?

Ravidrath

Ravidrath: Will there be any supers that are so powerful that they break the bar? I ask that because the fact that the bar is shared between the party reminded me of the Overdrive Bar that is in Riviera: The Promised Land. Also, are there different supers depending on how much it is filled?

No plans for that, but we are planning more super variety. And more flash in the presentation, too.

And there already is some variance in how they perform based on how much meter you use - for example, Razmi's heal will revive fallen party members at level 3.

Might add Up / Down / Neutral super variants, too. Lots of play with.

Wait, you get digital and physical release at the $60 tier?

You do.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Have you given thought to targeting lines like the kind used in modern FF games?

I didn't have any issues with the targeting system, but I felt that wall jumps were a little too fast, but that's minor. I'm eager to see how equipment is integrated or if it will be at all and if the battle system goes even further and adds some fighter qcf and srk motions to attacks.

Labadal

No plans for that, but we are planning more super variety.

And there already is some variance in how they perform based on how much meter you use - for example, Razmi's heal will revive fallen party members at level 3.

Might add Up / Down / Neutral super variants, too. Lots of play with.

You do.
Cool, then I will have to up my pledge and just pay for the shipping.

Ravidrath

I didn't have any issues with the targeting system, but I felt that wall jumps were a little too fast, but that's minor. I'm eager to see how equipment is integrated or if it will be at all and if the battle system goes even further and adds some fighter qcf and srk motions to attacks.

Basically, walljumps are intended to be primarily horizontal, and axe jumps are meant to be primarily vertical. They were too close to one another in the initial implementation, so we tuned them to better distinguish them.

Equipment isn't really going to be a huge thing in this game - you'll have strong weapon and armor upgrades, but there will only be like 4-5 for each character. You'll get the upgrades from exploring - basically, think Weaponite and Armorite chunks (names I made up), instead of Missle Expansions and Energy Tanks, which you turn into your Inner Realm blacksmiths to upgrade. Higher upgrades might require you to complete a short quest.

And I don't think we'll ever do GCFs or SRKs, haha. We have fighting game roots, but we want this to still be accessible to RPG players. Sure, there's Sabin's Blitzes, but... yeah.

Lime

Managed to scrunge together $250 and back this. I just wish indiegogo didn't charge me already though.

mugwhump

I trust LZ on gameplay and visuals, and the music's nice, but who's the writer? Are they gonna hire one?

Will back for sure.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Made it in time for day 1. Gotta get those early pledge numbers up so it looks good to others!
*Backed of course!

Ravidrath

I trust LZ on gameplay and visuals, and the music's nice, but who's the writer? Are they gonna hire one?

Will back for sure.

Plotting is being handled by Lab Zero collectively, but the writer will likely be Christian Nutt, who wrote the dialog Skullgirls DLC story modes.

Depending on the size of the writing task, may need to hire more, or have me help out some... not that I think I have time for that?

sanhora

The prototype looks really good, yet I can't help but feel like if this was on Kickstarter and there was a $15-20 tier for just the digital game this would be doing a lot better.

Personally i'm too lazy to make an indiegogo account and not a fan of this:
You are charged by IndieGoGo when you pledge, but if the campaign is unsuccessful, your money is refunded to you.

Ravidrath

So... question.

Let's say we can fix the swapping character thing based on which direction you enter battle from in an hour or two and put a new build up tomorrow.

How would you want the UI to work for this?

Should Ajna always be on the square position in the UI on the left, or should it be on the side she's facing even though her button is locked to the opposite side?

There is always going to be some kind of mismatch if we let people do this, so trying to figure out which works better for people that are struggling with this.

The prototype looks really good, yet I can't help but feel like if this was on Kickstarter and there was a $15-20 tier for just the digital game this would be doing a lot better.

Personally i'm too lazy to make an indiegogo account and not a fan of this:
It's not your fault that IGG has this bad rep regarding the necessity of accounts, but it's been cleared up.

See below:
Physical copy? I'm innnn, probably. I've heard nothing but good things about Lab Zero, and I love Metroidvanias. Will watch the trailer and probably back the project sometime after work.

The physical copy is an option for PS4 or XB1, right?

Thanks! ^.^

Make this thing happen. :)

You don't have to register an account do you? I could have sworn I was able to back using my email + PayPal last time I tried one. Besides, if the issue is that gamers aren't used to it, that will never get solved unless competent game projects start dipping their toes in and trying it.

The hurdle, in my eyes, is getting people to put in the money up front. It seems like it could be way more tempting to cancel when there's money that you really already don't have and could get back. Honestly though, I kinda like just getting the payment over with up front, so I don't have to worry about it later.

I am curious about why they went IGG though. Maybe I'll know once I've read through the campaign. <.<
FYI, backing an IndieGoGo even you don't have an account is effortless. All you do is put in your email, then log in to Paypal, and that's it. This is the first IGG I've ever done and it felt almost identical to the KSes I've done.
You don't need an IGG account. Just an email and Paypal
Like I said, literally all you need to do is put in your email and paypal. That's it. No account creation.
You don't need to make an account. I was wary at first as well, until I realized literally all I had to do was type in my email and type in my password to pay with paypal.
You only need a paypal account with IG now, don't even have to create an account - and without reaching their goal the game won't come out.
Really want that Tapir plush... already in at $100.... hnggg...
I want the Giclee print bad. I understand that feeling.

Cyrano

So... question.

Let's say we can fix the swapping character thing based on which direction you enter battle from in an hour or two and put a new build up tomorrow.

Should Ajna always be on the square position in the UI on the left, or should it be on the side she's facing even though her button is locked to the opposite side?

There is always going to be some kind of mismatch if we let people do this, so trying to figure out which works better for people that are struggling with this.
Annnnd, in at $175. The plushies, I needz them. (considering going as far as $750 for the digital commission, but will need to look at my moneys to know for sure)

Haven't played the prototype as I'm trying to not spoil myself, but I will say that based on some of the comments I've seen, I think it would be best to try and make it more like Valkyrie Profile in terms of how encounters work (characters on right side, each mapped to face buttons, turn-based). Or at least that's what my brain is expecting.

NEO0MJ

And I don't think we'll ever do GCFs or SRKs, haha. We have fighting game roots, but we want this to still be accessible to RPG players. Sure, there's Sabin's Blitzes, but... yeah.

Will we at least be able to suplex a train?

So... question.

I think the button always corresponding to Anja might be better than her constantly switching location.

Ravidrath

Annnnd, in at $175. The plushies, I needz them. (considering going as far as $750 for the digital commission, but will need to look at my moneys to know for sure)

Haven't played the prototype as I'm trying to not spoil myself, but I will say that based on some of the comments I've seen, I think it would be best to try and make it more like Valkyrie Profile in terms of how encounters work (characters on right side, each mapped to face buttons, turn-based). Or at least that's what my brain is expecting.

Play the prototype! It's fun! And it's not like there is story to spoil in it, and pretty much everything will change before it's out.

Thanks so much for your contribution, though - really means a lot to us.

And we're not going to be able to make it always on the right, which is why the buttons currently switch depending on which way you're facing.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Everywhere I turned that had coverage people still see IGG as 'Studio gets money no matter what'. Ravi is replying to every post on every website until 4am daily to try and rectify this I know it.

Backing wise I was surprised I was able to just give an email -> Paypal and backing took 30 seconds which was nice.

Ravidrath

Everywhere I turned that had coverage people still see IGG as 'Studio gets money no matter what'. Ravi is replying to every post on every website until 4am daily to try and rectify this I know it.

Backing wise I was surprised I was able to just give an email -> Paypal and backing took 30 seconds which was nice.

The "problem" is that I think most IGG campaigns go with Flexible Funding. If anything, we're the outlier.

I think the button always corresponding to Anja might be better than her constantly switching location.

RIght, but does that mean the UI always corresponds to the button, or to Ajna's position?

I think the button makes the most sense, but I have an easier time with the side-switching than the alternative.

Cyrano

And we're not going to be able to make it always on the right, which is why the buttons currently switch depending on which way you're facing.
Hmm... out of curiosity, why? That seems a bit odd given the encounter construction is a completely separate occurrence from the exploration system (unless I'm totally wrong... maybe I should just play the demo so I'm less confused).

Also, believe me when I say it's not that I don't want to play it, I TOTALLY want to play it. But, I also tend to be a person who avoids alphas and demos of things I'm really looking forward to if I can avoid it. It's one of those things where you want to jump in fresh. It started for me with the Souls series, but has since increased my enjoyment of all games I'm excited about many-fold.

Also tend to not watch videos and other things to avoid spoilers. I guess it's sort of like the excitement of seeing the Grand Canyon or other really symbolic monuments for the first time in-person. There's a very different feeling you get from seeing it in person for the first time, and I feel like the more you're exposed to it the less exciting it is? I dunno, just my feelings, feel free to ignore. ^^;

Moaradin

I was getting my ass kicked by the boss until I figured out Supers. For some reason I completely forgot about them by the time I got to the boss lol.

The combat is very interesting and it clicked once I fought the boss a few times. Awesome prototype :)

edit: If there was one thing I'd like to see added, it would be being able to switch targets while animations are going on.

NEO0MJ

RIght, but does that mean the UI always corresponds to the button, or to Ajna's position?

I think the button makes the most sense, but I have an easier time with the side-switching than the alternative.

It should go with the button. One button is always for Ajna, one for incarnation 1, one for Incarnation 2, one for incarnation 3. I imagine their positions will depend on how you organize them in the party select menu?

Ravidrath

Hmm... out of curiosity, why? That seems a bit odd given the encounter construction is a completely separate occurrence from the exploration system (unless I'm totally wrong... maybe I should just play the demo so I'm less confused).

Also, believe me when I say it's not that I don't want to play it, I TOTALLY want to play it. But, I also don't tend to be a person who avoids alphas and demos of things I'm really looking forward to if I can avoid it. It's one of those things where you want to jump in fresh. It started for me with the Souls series, but has since increased my enjoyment of all games I'm excited about many-fold.

Also tend to not watch videos and other things to avoid spoilers. I guess it's sort of like the excitement of seeing the Grand Canyon or other really symbolic monuments for the first time in-person. There's a really different feeling you get from seeing it in person for the first time, and I feel like the more you're exposed to it the less exciting it is? I dunno, just my feelings, feel free to ignore. ^^;

Because you fight in the same environment, seamlessly. And it would probably be slow and awkward for all the characters to reposition themselves to fit a single configuration.

And I totally get where you're coming from on the blackout thing, and I do it for most games.

But when the dev is asking for feedback like we are, or an MMO, I do like playing it and watching how things change and improve. But maybe that's just the designer in me.

I was getting my ass kicked by the boss until I figured out Supers. For some reason I completely forgot about them by the time I got to the boss lol.

The combat is very interesting and it clicked once I fought the boss a few times. Awesome prototype :)

Glad you enjoyed it!

JediLink

Hmmmmmmmm

As interesting as this is, I have to hesitate because I already backed Bloodstained earlier this year. Will play the demo though.

Cyrano

Because you fight in the same environment, seamlessly. And it would probably be slow and awkward for all the characters to reposition themselves to fit a single configuration.

And I totally get where you're coming from on the blackout thing, and I do it for most games.

But when the dev is asking for feedback like we are, or an MMO, I do like playing it and watching how things change and improve. But maybe that's just the designer in me.
Well, I guess that's a good point. I do play MMOs during some of those feedback phases. I'll give it a shot over the weekend. And thanks for the info about the seamless transitions, that makes sense.

As for a single positioning system being slow and awkward, I agree, but from a practical standpoint it may be the best solution. Valkyrie Profile had some real jankiness in terms of pauses when characters were moving around on the screen, I admit, but honestly when I look back at it I think that gives it some charm.

Having your characters and enemies sort of "hop" into position like they would for Valkyrie Profile combat, I think is a workable solution for single positioning (which I would still put forward as being a better solution - also avoids problems of mirroring animation sometimes looking more awkward when viewed from one side or the other)

Top Bottom