• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Industry sources: The PlayStation 5 is still a ways off

8bitghost

Jason Schreier doing some hard reporting:

A recent online rumor got people buzzing about a possible 2018 release of PlayStation 5, but that’s probably not going to happen. In fact, from what we’ve heard, the next PlayStation is a ways away—it may not arrive until 2020...

Over the past month, I’ve spoken to dozens of game developers, across a variety of disciplines and studios, about the next generation of consoles. Of those, two people said they were directly familiar with plans for Sony’s new console. Those two people both told me that the next PlayStation is unlikely to release in 2019, let alone 2018...

Most of the developers I spoke to, via phone and email and text, said they had not heard anything about plans for a new PlayStation. Even employees at Sony’s first-party studios said they have not yet been briefed on the existence of a PlayStation 5. People across all the disciplines (design, art, engineering, etc.) at major studios working on games scheduled for 2019 and beyond have told me that if there is information about the PS5 at their companies, they haven’t heard about it.

What we’re hearing from developers is that most people expect Sony’s next console to be a PlayStation 5, a machine that runs games that won’t run on PS4, but that they don’t expect it for a while. At the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco last month, secondhand rumors I heard also suggested a 2020 release. Word from a few people was that in meetings between Sony and developers, representatives for the publisher had dropped vague hints about that 2020 timeframe. But it’s worth reiterating: When it comes to hardware, anything can change.

https://kotaku.com/sources-the-playstation-5-is-still-a-ways-off-1825152206

So are they saying PS5 is in Death Stranding territory? Beyond Good & Evil 2 territory? Or - heaven forbid - FFVII: Remake, Episode 3 territory?

Can we safely assume it’s not in Half Life 2: Episode 3 territory?

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
These people they are speaking to can't legally talk about future console plans

This means nothing

Last edited:

Blood Borne

We need creativity in game development and not specs. I don't understand why people are craving so much for specs. COD in 8k is still COD.

negative-zero

Neo Member
Makes sense. I wonder if Capcom's projected life span for Street Fighter 5 also leads some added evidence to the rumor of a 2020 launch for the PS5 as well. Given that they've indicated support the game up till 2020, and of course with them being partnered with Sony for the title, I wonder if their planning for that period of time also took into account thoughts for when the new consoles may arrive.

My bet is on more definitive rumors starting around 2019, with a dedicated hardware announcement early 2020, a pricing reveal at E3, and a launch around October - November of 2020. PS4 will have been 6 years old by that time, while the Pro will have had at least 4 years on shelves, enough time I feel where most will have been satisfied with the current console generation life span without feeling too stretched out like during 360 ps3 era. As for games, I doubt FF VII Remake will make it in time before the launch of the PS5, but I have high hopes for Death Stranding and Kingdom Hearts 3 given we've gradually seen more and more in game trailers at least. Here's hoping.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Fall 2020 is a ways off...

I'm guessing with a similar AMD x86 architecture the PS5 will be fully PS4 BC and late gen PS4 games will have cross-gen "enhanced" features for the PS5, like higher res textures and the obvious frame rate and frame buffer improvements.

Last edited:

Swizzle

Gold Member
Makes sense. I wonder if Capcom's projected life span for Street Fighter 5 also leads some added evidence to the rumor of a 2020 launch for the PS5 as well. Given that they've indicated support the game up till 2020, and of course with them being partnered with Sony for the title, I wonder if their planning for that period of time also took into account thoughts for when the new consoles may arrive.

My bet is on more definitive rumors starting around 2019, with a dedicated hardware announcement early 2020, a pricing reveal at E3, and a launch around October - November of 2020. PS4 will have been 6 years old by that time, while the Pro will have had at least 4 years on shelves, enough time I feel where most will have been satisfied with the current console generation life span without feeling too stretched out like during 360 ps3 era. As for games, I doubt FF VII Remake will make it in time before the launch of the PS5, but I have high hopes for Death Stranding and Kingdom Hearts 3 given we've gradually seen more and more in game trailers at least. Here's hoping.
PS4 launched in 2013, by Q4 2020 it would be 7 years old.

Last edited:

Swizzle

Gold Member
Agree with this. Plenty of life left in it yet.
That would be like 10 years of active shelf life which is a bit unheard of and actually not what PlayStation needs.

I am confident Sony will not drop PS4 like a rock just because PS5 is on the market and you will see a nicer supported console for a few more years after it. Think about the PS3 to PS4 transition for a frame of reference.

THE:MILKMAN

That would be like 10 years of active shelf life which is a bit unheard of and actually not what PlayStation needs.

I am confident Sony will not drop PS4 like a rock just because PS5 is on the market and you will see a nicer supported console for a few more years after it. Think about the PS3 to PS4 transition for a frame of reference.

I've said similar but it falls on deaf ears! I notice lots of people wanting 2020 or later simply because they are happy and/or just picked up a PS4/Pro. Even some of those writing articles about next-gen have said similar so no wonder they report its not happening anytime soon....

As an aside, I picked up a Pro a little over a month ago and would be fine with late 2019 if they can launch then.

negative-zero

Neo Member
PS4 launched in 2013, by Q4 2020 it would be 7 years old.
Ah my mistake, was thinking about the Japan PS4 launch date of 2014. Hmmm....that would put it on the same amount of time between the ps3 and ps4 roughly if I'm not mistaken. Seems like a window of 2020+ may be plausible.

Swizzle

Gold Member
Pro will become base model and PS5 will become more like the pro model. Hoping BC will be in place.

A clean new generation with BC preserves your library and allows developers on the new console to focus on new games that take properly advantage of the new console just released. I would not want PS5 constrained by specs that developers themselves did not push because they were in turn constrained by the original PS4.

Swizzle

Gold Member
Ah my mistake, was thinking about the Japan PS4 launch date of 2014. Hmmm....that would put it on the same amount of time between the ps3 and ps4 roughly if I'm not mistaken. Seems like a window of 2020+ may be plausible.

That generation length was not seen as a great thing to get used to, but something more of an oddity... or so I hope :). Not that I want heart iterations either lol.

rokkerkory

A clean new generation with BC preserves your library and allows developers on the new console to focus on new games that take properly advantage of the new console just released. I would not want PS5 constrained by specs that developers themselves did not push because they were in turn constrained by the original PS4.

I just think that when new generations hits, s/w is always lagging using last gen tech anyways at least for a couple of years. s/w usually hits its stride in year 3+

TheMikado

Banned

PS1 was available for retail for 12 years, PS2 13 years, and PS3 11 years. And games made through the entirety of retail availability.

Swizzle

Gold Member
PS1 was available for retail for 12 years, PS2 13 years, and PS3 11 years. And games made through the entirety of retail availability.
Good, because I said that I expected Sony NOT to drop PS4 like a rock just because they release PS5 in say Q4 2019 :).

...Time between one console and the next one, not time on shelves before manufacturing and sale stops.

bitbydeath

I don’t think anyone really expected it to be this year. 2019 at the earliest, 2020 at the latest.
Depending on when the tech is ready to be mass produced. (Navi)

Last edited:

KevinKeene

Banned
We need creativity in game development and not specs. I don't understand why people are craving so much for specs. COD in 8k is still COD.

Agreed.

I actually wonder: Does the industry need the PS5 so soon? Are developers that creatively bankrupt that better graphics is their only idea to increase sales/keep them steady?

The PS4 has a ridiculous low count of imaginative blockbuster games. We have Nier Automata and The Last Guardian. Most everthing else consists of iterative sequels. Even the heralded one-year- break of Assassin's Creed didn't reap any meaningful changes.

How about taking a step back and rekindling with the creativity that made games so stunning. But then I hear hype for yet another Bioshock and I lose hope a bit. Hardware power isn't going bring long needed changes.

Sapiens

Next year would be really REALLY nice. Maybe they want to adopt a 3 year cycle. 2013 PS4, 2016 PS4Pro, 2019 PS5, 2022 PS5Pro, etc.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I feel like this gen still has a little steam left in it since I have the Pro. 2020 would be a good release date for PS5.

I am confident that it will be in FY 19, ending in Mar 31, 2020. I wouldn't rule out a spring launch like Switch. It would allow Sony to restock and build up an inventory base for holiday 2020.

Even though I'm guessing, I'm confident that this is a 100% right. For everyone worrying about ps4. I think Sony answers Microsoft and Nintendo crossplay by saying certain titles would be crossplay across ps4/ps5/pc. It would be a smart move trying to keep people in the Sony ecosystem.

Ka-Kui

I bought the PS4 on launch and I still feel I've only had the console for 2-3 years. It's like I'm still waiting for the games. I only really enjoyed the console for the past year and a half.

I'm happy with the quality of the graphics we got now. I've no interest in a PS5 at all at this point, the longer the wait the better ftom my perspective.

8bitghost

My guess is launching of PS5 is September 2019 to March 2020. For end of FY 19 launch.

The problem with that is, apart from the games that have already been announced, none of Sony's first-party studios will be ready for a 2019 launch. 2020 makes more sense from a technological and software point of view.

base

Banned
If you ask me I don't really care that much. They can even release an upgraded Pro+ version with a better custom Jaguar CPU just like the one from Xbox One X. I don't really want realistic graphics. Most current games are enough for me.

I think one of the games is delayed until launch. Either Days Gone or Last of us 2. Have it as a dual launch. I also think they have some form of family game like Knack at launch. I think it will be Jack and Daxter reinvented the same way Rachet and clank were on ps4.

SvRomanov87

Neo Member
To me, true "next-gen" begins when the cross-gen game releases are over, 2-3 year post launch, which means that for me PS5 would be worth buying not before 2022-23. Everything between will pretty much be PS4 titles with PS5 enhancements. That of course if Sony don't decide to drop PS4 dead on PS5 launch, which is unlikely. Of course there will be a couple of PS5 exclusive "tech demos" on launch a la The Order, but they are not worth it imho.

Hope they make the PS5 a hardware evolution of current gen, so developers don't have to adapt too long to the new hardware. A couple of new features to the ecosystem would be more than welcome also, not just exclusives.

Ar¢tos

Agreed.

I actually wonder: Does the industry need the PS5 so soon? Are developers that creatively bankrupt that better graphics is their only idea to increase sales/keep them steady?

The PS4 has a ridiculous low count of imaginative blockbuster games. We have Nier Automata and The Last Guardian. Most everthing else consists of iterative sequels. Even the heralded one-year- break of Assassin's Creed didn't reap any meaningful changes.

How about taking a step back and rekindling with the creativity that made games so stunning. But then I hear hype for yet another Bioshock and I lose hope a bit. Hardware power isn't going bring long needed changes.
That's why the AAA market needs the indie market to succeed. There is less risk in indie games and so they bring most of the innovation, and AAA games get inspiration from them.

MADGAME

I’m ready for PS5 as soon as it can be offered. With all that forward compatibility talk that was pitched with the PS4, I expect my existing library to be playabale on the next console. For those not ready for a new console, good news - you don’t have to buy one and your existing PS4/Pro will still work.

That being said I’m okay with waiting a bit longer if it means an alignment of sweet-spot pricing, hardware, and performance.

Last edited:

Bl@de

A 2018 release was always stupid. 2019 is unrealistic. Q3/Q4 2020 is the earliest date I can see a PS5.

They are speaking under the protection of anonymity, hence their willingness to talk.

Anonymity doesn't absolve you from NDA and ability to be fined/fired for breaking it. I've been great friends with developers with no one to tell, and they didn't tell me anything because why would they it's not worth it

llien

2018 is way off but I can't imagine it being pushed off to 2020, unless there are major fab issues.

Last edited:

Xiaoki

I don't understand how anyone could have believed that Sony was going to release PS5 this year. Sony isn't even going to think about PS5 until PS4 hits 100 million.

They own this generation so why would they want it to end early?

Top Bottom