• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

inExile working on a new first person next-gen RPG

geary

Teslerum

The unannounced project was third-person right? So, is this a new one.

If so, this is still years out and at best very early production.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Interested to see whatever they come up with but I hope they stick to the core principles that have made their previous games so good. Please don't make some crappy watered down RPG in the hope of chasing the mass market.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
full

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Yay, more Unity jank.
No it's Unreal

Required Skills

• Can break down and explain game mechanics
  • Understand the moment-to-moment gameplay loops of first-person shooters and RPGs and what makes those genres fun
  • Experience as a gameplay/combat designer working on player-centric action systems
  • Knowledge of Unreal Engine and/or other game engines and tools
  • Knowledge of Unreal animation graphs and/or similar experience
  • Understanding of basic animation principals and animation timing
  • Excellent verbal and written communication skills
  • Motivated self-starter who asks for help when needed

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Phew, that's a good sign.

Yeah with MS money they don't have to use janky Unity anymore. In an interview with Brian Fargo I read a while ago he said in the past he couldn't devote himself fully to the creative side as he was frequently out trying to raise money to cover expenses.

Side note: In Wasteland 2 they had these signs and tombstones you could read most were naming kickstarter patrons or little inside jokes. The one that stuck with me read "We should have used Unreal" :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:
I hope it is a turn based first person RPG. Not only I wish to see more traditional RPGs from Inxile but Microsoft has already too many first person ARPGs being made at the moment.

Pardon me for asking, but could you point me to existing first-person RPG games that are turn-based ?

Vyndktvx

Neo Member
I hope it is a turn based first person RPG. Not only I wish to see more traditional RPGs from Inxile but Microsoft has already too many first person ARPGs being made at the moment.
Lol it won’t be. This will definitely be an action-RPG. I wonder what type of setting it will have?

This i agree. Everything First Person all of sudden. Need some third person RPGs too.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!

Belmonte

Pardon me for asking, but could you point me to existing first-person RPG games that are turn-based ?

Sure. First person dungeon crawlers like Wizardry, Etrian Odyssey, Might and Magic X fits the bill. Inxile made Bard's Tale IV in recent years:

This i agree. Everything First Person all of sudden. Need some third person RPGs too.

I was talking more about turned based first person dungeon crawlers but would love to see third person also, like Dragon Age Origins. One of my favorite views in any RPG: exploration in third person and tactical view combat.

Vyndktvx

Neo Member
Kinda sucks no one besides Bioware is making “party” third person RPGs anymore. Obsidian used to be big on that too but they’ve been chasing that New Vegas high ever since. I hope we can get another studio to take up that kind of RPG since I don’t have much hope of Bioware putting out a decent game again.

Sentenza

Maybe they'll improve massively now that they hae access to "unlimited Microsoft money", but InXile and first person are a combo that fills me with very little confidence.

A first person perspective requires an entirely different league of production value to properly shine in a RPG, and production value isn't exactly where the studio distinguished itself so far.

driqe

Kinda sucks no one besides Bioware is making “party” third person RPGs anymore. Obsidian used to be big on that too but they’ve been chasing that New Vegas high ever since. I hope we can get another studio to take up that kind of RPG since I don’t have much hope of Bioware putting out a decent game again.
Fable/Starfield?

driqe

Fable

johntown

Banned
I love all the RPG's they create! I am excited to see what they come up with using a good engine and have a better budget. I wonder if they are shooting for an open world experience?

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Yeah I hope it's 3rd person

Barlow

The 1st person RPG is in the early stage of pre-production.
The 3rd Person RPG will probably released in 2022/23 or so

Last edited:

Barlow

I'm not sure but I think that they started with the 3rd person RPG around late 2018 or something.

kyussman

The more of these threads that keep popping up the more I realise what a turn around Xbox have had(yea,the games aren't out yet).The reason I've not owned an Xbox since the OG one was because it never had a strong enough identity/selling point for me....it was always a bit like a PlayStation but without the games I really wanted.
Now though,going forward Xbox is looking like it will be an rpg/immersive sim power house with Bethesda Studios,Arkane,Inexile,Obsidian...damn,I'm truly excited to pick up an Xbox for the first time since seeing Halo CE for the first time back in the day!

Top Bottom