• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous Second Son 1.05 patch now available.

LiK

Ok now THIS looks incredible. Definite difference over the regular version. Sometimes they look like completely different times of day when you switch between HDR and non. A ton more detail.

The last of us looks like crap compared to this. I'm excited to see my tv actually can make a difference with HDR.

Pics:
HDR OFF

HDR ON

HDR OFF

HDR ON

HDR OFF

HDR ON

HDR OFF

HDR ON

HDR OFF

HDR ON

HDR OFF

HDR ON

You can even see at night, the color information is completely different. Red becomes a yellow with red glow.

And when Delsin uses his neon powers at night? Ooooo buddy

Weird, I can see the color difference on my shitty work monitor.

Is there a way to not let your PS4 download these? I don't have a 4K TV nor do I plan on getting one any time soon so I don't really want or need ~6GB of space on my HDD being wasted.

CyberChulo

Unfortunately I wish mine was that bright. Mine I think is only 282 which is not very bright compared to newer HDR tvs. I have mine set to max in all modes.
If yours can go that bright then Infamous and pretty much anything else is gonna look amazing

Lol. Don't feel bad. I feel bad too cause the new Sony 75 Z9D does 4000 nits! I kinda wish I had waited now. I would love to see on HDR looks on those. I think Sony is demoing their HDR content from the PS meeting and their kiosks on those TV's.

Storm360

Is there a way to not let your PS4 download these? I don't have a 4K TV nor do I plan on getting one any time soon so I don't really want or need ~6GB of space on my HDD being wasted.

Not ideal but I imagine you can turn off auto update and cancel the update when you start playing it

LiK

you can cancel/delete download altho i think it will always ask or autodownload when you play the game.

Robot Pants

Lol. Don't feel bad. I feel bad too cause the new Sony 75 Z9D does 4000 nits! I kinda wish I had waited now. I would love to see on HDR looks on those. I think Sony is demoing their HDR content from the PS meeting and their kiosks on those TV's.
Actually I was looking around and ine site says it's peak white is 28/ cd/m2. Is that the same as nits?
Anyway. I'm curious, how is the banding on your tv? Do you have any?

CyberChulo

Actually I was looking around and ine site says it's peak white is 28/ cd/m2. Is that the same as nits?
Anyway. I'm curious, how is the banding on your tv? Do you have any?

Lol. I don't understand that type of math either! I got the 1300 nits from several reviewers who had the light meter.

No banding at all. I can pan the camera and everything is uniform. No discoloration or clouding and looking at grayscale images are perfect. That's what made me jump on this. I know all the issues that edge lit tv's have as I've owned at least 4 different ones in the past before I got this one. It's FALD tech and that's the best you can do for LCD at the moment. The 940C and 128 zones for turning off the LEDs. Black is black. Now.... The Z9D? That's got 1000 dimming zones! Think about that!

eFKac

I'm not sure if these are mandatory updates, the may pop up when you start the game.

Do you still have both of those games installed on your PS4?

Ok now THIS looks incredible. Definite difference over the regular version. Sometimes they look like completely different times of day when you switch between HDR and non. A ton more detail.

The last of us looks like crap compared to this. I'm excited to see my tv actually can make a difference with HDR.

Pics:
HDR OFF

HDR ON

This post reminded me of what a looker this game is/was. Really have to start it up again one day.

Not ideal but I imagine you can turn off auto update and cancel the update when you start playing it

you can cancel/delete download altho i think it will always ask or autodownload when you play the game.
Blergh!

I'm not sure if these are mandatory updates, the may pop up when you start the game.

Do you still have both of those games installed on your PS4?

Yeah, I actually haven't played either of them yet but they're ready to go on my PS4. I'm afraid I'll turn it on and find them already downloaded. I'm not like crunched for space on my HDD but it'd still be nice to not have 6GB taken up by files I will likely never use.

Edit: Just turned on my PS4 and nothing's downloaded yet, guess I'll turn off Auto Update. Any games that require updates to play will tell me before I launch them, right? Sigh, I'll echo others wishing this was an optional download in the PSN Store.

I hope Digital Foundry will cover all these games under a PS4 Pro. Curious to see how the improvements are, especially with titles with an unlocked framerate like Infamous.

bunkitz

Sheesh. Gonna have to leave that on pause indefinitely, I suppose. Don't have an HDR-capable TV nor will I get a Pro. Bit annoying, to be honest. Still, it's cool that it'll get the support. It's still one of the prettiest games out there.

Maledict

I really wish I understood what the impact of the pro upgrades are on a 4K tv that doesn't have hdr. Does it look exactly the same or better? Does it impact on frame rate?

McSpidey

I'm testing HDR on an OLED and it's so incredibly dark, this has to be some kind of joke, right?
CwQyWK7UsAAfh7e.jpg:large

platocplx

I have the 850c which barely does HDR just like yours (you got the patch right?) Your tv is better than mine so it's gonna look great, mine looks great too, but people with real HDR tvs are gonna love it. I was worried this patched in HDR wasn't gonna be any good, but between this, Gears, and how amazing UHD blu rays have looked, I'm hyped. GIMMIE that PRO.

Hell yeah, you have an 850c i cant wait, i have one too i was worried a little bit about the effect of HDR. But this is awesome to hear.

McSpidey

re settings, I've tried all combinations. These screenshots come straight out of the PS4 framebuffer so my TV settings have no impact. This is how crazy dark even a bright daylight scene is.
CwQ1nUmUIAETsqn.jpg:large

bennibop

re settings, I've tried all combinations. These screenshots come straight out of the PS4 framebuffer so my TV settings have no impact. This is how crazy dark even a bright daylight scene is.

Keep trying different combos of RGB on PS4 and HDMI Black level on the TV you are crushing the blacks at the moment.

As per above, I've run out of combinations to try and what you're seeing in the screenshots is not impacted by those settings. The game itself is crushing blacks.
Maybe a dumb question but does increasing the in-game brightness setting help out of curiosity?

McSpidey

Maybe a dumb question but does increasing the in-game brightness setting help out of curiosity?

The in-game brightness appears to increase the top end of the tonemapper, so it blooms brighter things more but then tonemaps everything back down in compensation to be too dark.

I really wish I understood what the impact of the pro upgrades are on a 4K tv that doesn't have hdr. Does it look exactly the same or better? Does it impact on frame rate?

It's not difficult to understand. Games on the PS4 Pro with a 4K TV will run at a higher resolution.

Yep, getting the exact same results as with TLOU.

Incredibly dull/washed out picture and extremely dim. Same with the XMB menu.

Very disappointing, I feel like it's not working properly.

And yes I've tried virtually every combination of Limited/Full and HDMI level configurations. I spent about 3 hours on this the other night with TLOU.

They wouldn't intentionally release an update that does this. Keep plucking your settings.

Edit: Welp. Not sure dude.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Man, I wish that there were reasonably priced 1080p HDR screens. It seems to me that HDR offers better returns for less power than 4K.

What sucks is that many of the better features of 1080p TVs are now gone (local dimming) as they are lowering the prices on 1080p TVs and moving them to 4K.

bennibop

And yes I've tried virtually every combination of Limited/Full and HDMI level configurations. I spent about 3 hours on this the other night with TLOU.

What make and model TV are you using, the problem may be caused by a low Nit value. For example Samasung KS8000 is 1000nites.

see http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/4k-vs-201604104279.htm

Banned
I'd replay this game a sixth time if it benefited 1080p. I guess it'll stay at 60fps more often but it's don't gonna Downsample a 1440p image to 1080p like Horizon and Tomb Raider are doing, right?

Karak

Ohh yeah, First Light with HDR is a big difference at first glance unlike TLOU, it looks fantastic on my x8508c, love it that I don't have to tamper with anything, game just discovered my TV is HDR and that's it, Sony done well.

Agreed. This is night and day better as an implementation.

What TV?

I had to muck about with settings as I mentioned in the TLOU thread but after doing so, there was nothing muted/dim about TLOU for me. Neither was the PS4 UI. KS8000 here as mentioned.

EDIT: Nevemind, I see you posted it. Is that JS7000 an 8-bit panel?

What TV?

I had to muck about with settings as I mentioned in the TLOU thread but after doing so, there was nothing muted/dim about TLOU for me. Neither was the PS4 UI. KS8000 here as mentioned.

EDIT: Nevemind, I see you posted it. Is that JS7000 an 8-bit panel? I think it is....

It is, but regardless I don't think the quality should be so poor. Netflix 4K content looks great. I've also found several forums with regards to the Xbox One S and Gears 4/Forza 3 where people with 10 bit panels report the exact same problem as me so I don't think it's my display.

Kambing

As per above, I've run out of combinations to try and what you're seeing in the screenshots is not impacted by those settings. The game itself is crushing blacks.

Are you connecting via a receiver? If so try and connect directly to TV. There is an issue with black crush on limited RGB settings between PS4 and LG OLED.

ON PS4 - Set RGB to full
ON TV - Use HDR Bright picture mode, set black level to High

McSpidey

Bright lights are incredibly bright, and colours aren't muted for me.

I think HDR games need to let people control more at both the top bottom end of their tonemapers via brightness controls.

Are you connecting via a receiver? If so try and connect directly to TV. There is an issue with black crush on limited RGB settings between PS4 and LG OLED.

ON PS4 - Set RGB to full
ON TV - Use HDR Bright picture mode, set black level to High

I'm aware of the black crush issue and am running on RGB/Full + Black Level High as that's what looks best in this game too, though for this game I also tried the other combinations.

It's nearly 2am here so I'll have to look at removing the receiver from the chain tomorrow. Do you have any links from others where a receive that works otherwise fine with HDR only plays up on PS4 HDR?

Top Bottom