• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinity Ward confirms: CoD Ghost is 720p on Xbox One, 1080p on PS4

Majanew

Banned
There are plenty of exclusives that appeal to different type of gamers on Xbox One.
Halo (you mentioned that one), Fable (yes, there are fans of this franchise), Forza, Killer Instinct and Quantum Break.

Titanfall

Yep. Just because Xbox One is weaker doesn't mean it won't have kick ass exclusives. I get to play Forza and Ryse on the 22nd and will wait on Titanfall and Halo 5. Oh man, Halo 5 is gonna fucking rock.

More ElTorro :)

frodo720prtcl2.gif

What.... What is this?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
i heard the xbone version has svogi but they had to turn it off to get to 1080p on ps4 so i will play the one with svogi

EagleEyes

I find it hard to believe there are still people who are getting a Xbox One over a PS4. Unless you are a hardcore Halo fan, the choice is quite clear.
My friend, the same exact thing could have been said about people who bought the PS3 at launch. But you and I both know that there were plenty of faithful Playstation fans that did. When the PS3 launched it was $100/$200 more, a much more inferior online network, had weaker ports( Remember FEAR lol) and generally had a pretty weak launch lineup. At least in theory, if the exclusives are good, the XO has a much better launch lineup than the PS3 did.

KAL2006

Banned
Yep. Just because Xbox One is weaker doesn't mean it still won't have kick ass exclusives. I get to play Forza and Ryse on the 22nd and will wait on Titanfall and Halo 5. Oh man, Halo 5 is gonna fucking rock.

Exclusives a few and far between. And besides multiplatform games like COD, FIFA, and etc are always more popular. Halo and Forza can be a big deal for Xbox gamers. But I disagree with Ryse, also it is made by Crytek which is a 3rd party dev, will their next game stay exclusive. Hell will TitanFall 2, Dead Rising 4 and Cryteks next fame be Xbox One exclusive. Justin systems by launch window lineup is really short sighted.

kpaadet

What the heck is a "valid reason"? Someone can't buy the Xbox One to play the latest installment of Call of Duty? o_O

I'm not saying that someone wouldn't do the same for PS4, what I'm saying is that the majority of Call of Duty players are Xbox players and, imo, will most likely be switching over to XB1 eventually, as one of their reasons for going XB1.

People can of course do with their money as they please, I just thought you were making a list of rational reasons to get an Xbox, mentioning a multi platform game as a selling point does not make sense to me. Your argument for why you should get it sounds more like your friend point which I agree with.

Doffen

Does anyone even know what quantum break is? Sorry if I'm out of the loop.

Titanfall's not exclusive btw

It's a action game from the creators of Max Payne and Alan Wake; Remedy. Personally I don't need more to be excited.

I know Titanfall isn't exclusive, but it is a selling point just like PS4's indies.

KAL2006

Banned
My friend, the same exact thing could have been said about people who bought the PS3 at launch. But you and I both know that there were plenty of faithful Playstation fans that did. When the PS3 launched it was $100/$200 more, had weaker ports( Remember FEAR lol) and generally had a pretty weak launch lineup. At least in theory, if the exclusives are good, the XO has a much better launch lineup than the PS3 did.

Weird I was a huge PS2 fan, waited 6 months after PS3, was disappointed and bought a 360 instead. By the time my 360 RROD happened, PS3 Slim and Sony started pumping fames out I switched to PS3 around 2009/10

Majanew

Banned
Exclusives a few and far between. And besides multiplatform games like COD, FIFA, and etc are always more popular. Halo and Forza can be a big deal for Xbox gamers. But I disagree with Ryse, also it is made by Crytek which is a 3rd party dev, will their next game stay exclusive. Hell will TitanFall 2, Dead Rising 4 and Cryteks next fame be Xbox One exclusive. Justin systems by launch window lineup is really short sighted.

What? I don't give a fuck what games you like. I'm buying an Xbox One day one and will play Forza and Ryse. Deal with it.

Steroyd

That is completely irrelevant to the discussion in this thread though. It's been written on the walls for months. This has nothing to do with brand recognition, but has everything to do with superior hardware and smarter architecture decisions.

It kind of does, Microsoft has linked themselves to COD with great effect, and the fact that COD runs better on a cheaper system could damage that perception notably.

Sony could turn that perception around just as much as MS turned around GTA being synonymous with the Playstation brand.

Marleyman

Banned
My friend, the same exact thing could have been said about people who bought the PS3 at launch. But you and I both know that there were plenty of faithful Playstation fans that did. When the PS3 launched it was $100/$200 more, a much more inferior online network, had weaker ports( Remember FEAR lol) and generally had a pretty weak launch lineup. At least in theory, if the exclusives are good, the XO has a much better launch lineup than the PS3 did.

Good post.

Pop

This is anecdotal, but I'm a huge gamer and I didn't even really know/care about resolution differences until I bought a PC about a year ago.

Yeah going from BF3 on Ps3 to playing on PC at high settings, is like a game changer. Now I can't even look at BF3 on consoles haha

It's one thing that there is already a pretty huge gap at launch but what's even worse is the public apparently knew about it well before Microsoft.

It will be interesting to see how the game plays on both systems, including multiplayer, and how much of a difference there really is. I also want to see with my own eyes how good the upscaler is.

Tulerian

Yeah, I see a few people already touched on my biggest concern. It is not really this news. launch games are actually not a huge surprise.

What hugely concerns me is 3-5 years down the road, when 3rd party developers potentially have a very real decision to make, do we in essence have two teams to take advantage of each console for development? Or do they develop to the lowest common denominator?

I think most would do the latter, even if they did not want to, because it is smart business.

So yeah, 3-5 years from now 3rd party games could very well be crippled because of the power difference, and that really, truly sucks.

That's one theory.

Or alternatively, if sales numbers on one platform drop off to a tipping point where it is no longer cost effective to put a lot of extra effort in to try to get ports working to a satisfactory level... what happens then?

You've got to remember that the multi-plats will have to compete with exclusives on each platform, and if MS don't fix the time to develop, through updates to tools, there might be problems further down the road. Spending the amount of extra time and effort just working around hardware issues when you could be adding/developing features instead will be a tough decision.

EagleEyes

Weird I was a huge PS2 fan, waited 6 months after PS3, was disappointed and bought a 360 instead. By the time my 360 RROD happened, PS3 Slim and Sony started pumping fames out I switched to PS3 around 2009/10
So because you didn't there were no playstation fans that did buy it at launch? Think outside your own world for a minute.

Marleyman

Banned

Do you mean judging?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
There are plenty of exclusives that appeal to different type of gamers on Xbox One.
Halo (you mentioned that one), Fable (yes, there are fans of this franchise), Forza, Killer Instinct and Quantum Break.

Titanfall

There's still Fable fans? I don't think Microsoft can possibly sink that franchise further than they already have.

Doffen

But what if I'm also interested in the Black Tusk project, Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive and Class 4?

Gaz_RB

Yeah going from BF3 on Ps3 to playing on PC at high settings, is like a game changer. Now I can't even look at BF3 on consoles haha

Yeah. I dread loading up the 360 to play BF3 with my friends after mostly playing on PC. It was awful. It's funny though, because when I first played BF3, it was on consoles before I got a PC and I thought it looked amazing. Glad to see next gen consoles are more on par with PC so I won't mind playing with my console friends as much.

King_Moc

Banned
When all their friends stay with Xbox?

Come on people...
People like different games, and both consoles launch with different games for different gamers..

You think most people look at the pixel counts of games?

When the resolution gap between the two is bigger than the gap between PS360 and the Wii, I think they probably will, yes.

People can of course do with their money as they please, I just thought you were making a list of rational reasons to get an Xbox, mentioning a multi platform game as a selling point does not make sense to me. Your argument for why you should get it sounds more like your friend point which I agree with.

Ha, apologies if I didn't clarify my post that well. Personally, I wouldn't say those reasons are rational enough to buy the Xbox One. I'm just looking at it through a broad perspective on why someone would buy the Xbox One over the PS4, despite the clear advantages that the PS4 has overall.

Ah I see the Journalistic Revolt is now happening in regards to X1, check out this article from VideoGamer
http://www.videogamer.com/features/article/pixelated_xbox_ones_720p_problem_is_the_biggest_deal-breaker_yet.html

How long before they all start? over on CVG Andy has already commented in the Review section that EA said they are not allowed to talk about the X1 but since others have they amended there review to reflect this.....very telling indeed.

Here's that comment

Hi guys. We were told by EA we couldn't cover the Xbox One version, but clearly that's not what was sent out to other media.

I've added a previously edited line back in to the review pointing out that the PS4 version, to our critic, looked vastly superior to Xbox One. Expect a more detailed comparison shortly.

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...a-slick-introduction-to-next-gen-multiplayer/

Doffen

There's still Fable fans? I don't think Microsoft can possibly sink that franchise further than they already have.

There is, I'm really looking forward to Fable Anniversary. Plus I'm quite interested in Fable Legends, it seems like a neat concept.

But I totally agree that Fable 3 and especially Fable The Journey was shit.

KAL2006

Banned
But what if I'm also interested in the Black Tusk project, Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive and Class 4?

What is Class 4?

Anyway how can anyone be interested in any of the above titles, we barely know anything about those games. Seems like you are grasping at straws. MS announcing these titles so early shows how desperate they are, it personally feel Xbox One exclusive line up will not compare to PS4. However let's not argue about who will have better exclusives as we will only be arguing based on speculation. But I'll finish with, PS3 and 360 has shown me which company will deliver more exclusive games.

Gaz_RB

There is, I'm really looking forward to Fable Anniversary. Plus I'm quite interested in Fable Legends, it seems like a neat concept.

But I totally agree that Fable 3 and especially Fable The Journey was shit.

Yeah and if I remember correctly, Fable 3 sold more than 2 and 1, despite being the inferior game. Fable is a weird franchise

I give it a few hours before some people start using svogi in their arguments thinking it is actually a real thing
what? Svogi is the secret sauce, PS4 fans are in denial

Blobbers

People are forgetting that Microsoft has a deal with developers that no rival consoles may have more graphics than them. That means that the PS4 and XBox One version of Ghosts has the same amount of graphics. But keep in mind the PS4 is 1080p which means the graphics are stretched, while XBox One's 720p is the sweet spot and graphics are much closer together which gives a better-looking, more succinct experience.

In conclusion, if you run the same game on 1080p hardware and 720p hardware, the 720p will look way better. Now sprinkle that with some crushed blacks (XBox One exclusive feature) and the games look-not next-gen- but neo-gen (that's more than next-gen).

Hope this clears stuff up.

People associate Call of Duty to Xbox more so than on PlayStation, no?

This generation. As proven by the drop in market share for the PS3, WiiU, and likely the XB1, brand loyalties don't span console generations. It's like someone presses a reset button and each console, and games for that console, must stand on its own.

Radec

People are forgetting that Microsoft has a deal with developers that no rival consoles may have more graphics than them. That means that the PS4 and XBox One version of Ghosts has the same amount of graphics. But keep in mind the PS4 is 1080p which means the graphics are stretched, while XBox One's 720p is the sweet spot and graphics are much closer together which gives a better-looking, more succinct experience.

In conclusion, if you run the same game on 1080p hardware and 720p hardware, the 720p will look way better. Now sprinkle that with some crushed blacks (XBox One exclusive feature) and the games look-not next-gen- but neo-gen (that's more than next-gen).

1346839458-auto-dafuq-dafuq-did-i-just-read-200165.jpeg

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I give it a few hours before some people start using svogi in their arguments thinking it is actually a real thing

Shitty Visuals Optimizer for Games and Images is the codeword for their upscaler.

coldfoot

Banned
I don't know if I'm LTTP, but I see this Xbox scaler secret sauce FUD being stated by a bunch of posters, and it's time for some facts:

The PS3, PS4, 360, One ALL have hardware scalers. These scalers are simply GPU fixed-function blocks in all of them and they don't cost anything to use. The scalers are not separate chips, they're just a section inside the GPU.

The PS3's RSX has a hardware scaler that's shitty and broken as it cannot scale an image both vertically and horizontally. It can only scale horizontally. It's being used in such games like GT5 and Motorstorm Apocalypse (2D mode) where it stretches a 1280x1080 native render to 1920x1080, or at Wipeout where the resolution is dynamic but only scaled horizontally between 960x1080 through 1280x1080, 1600x1080 etc, only through the horizontal axis.

This means that any game that's not rendering at somethingx1080 or native 720p is being upscaled via software on the PS3. This includes all the COD games, GTA4, Crysis 2,3, etc. This is done at a minor cost to performance and more importantly memory, which is very precious on the PS3. This also explains why most PS3 games output at 720p, as there is no way to scale 720p to 1080p in hardware in the PS3 and it leaves it up to your TV to scale it. ANY SOURCE that's not 1080p that you watch on a 1080p TV is scaled to 1080p by your TV no matter what the input is, unless you letterbox it and use only half your TV to view it, which nobody does.

The lack of a proper scaler that works in both dimensions in the PS3 is also the reason why some games render at 480p when you don't have the 720p output option checked in the preferences, like some people did 8 years ago when there were many TV's that supported 1080i (1080i is the same resolution as 1080p, it's just not progressive) but not 720p. Uncharted 2 will render at 960x1080 and use the RSX's scaler if you disable 720p and enable 1080. Towards the end of the generation, most games on PS3 just used a software scaling solution that cost very little performance, and more importantly some memory. Also even very little performance can make a difference when you need all of it, obviously.

The Xbox 360 did not have any of these problems because the AMD GPU inside can scale any resolution to 1080p just fine.

The PS4 and Xbox One have the same hardware scalers that exist in ALL AMD 7xxx series cards and can scale any output resolution to 1080p (and maybe beyond to 4K). Those scaling hardware blocks are GPU components just like the CU's and ROPS.

The reason for the PS4 scaler FUD was due to DF not really knowing what they're talking about and saying this in their BF4 face-off:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-battlefield-4-next-gen-vs-pc-face-off-preview
"This should surely be a home run for Sony's console, but what is likely to be a software-based upscale to 1080p delivers less-than-stellar returns, and for better or worse leaves the Xbox One with an often crisper looking, albeit much more aliased image."

This DF quote, ladies and gentlemen, proves beyond a reasonable doubt, that DF DO NOT KNOW WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT. DF looked at the Xbox One's incorrect gamma and sharpening filter, PS4 motion blur, and the FXAA solution in the PS4 version that slightly blurs textures and guessed immediately went Xbox super awesome scaler > PS4, which is false. They simply projected the scaling issues from the PS3 to the PS4 and incorrectly guessed that PS4 is doing a software upscale. THERE IS NOTHING COMMON ABOUT SCALING BETWEEN THE PS3 AND PS4, THEY USE DIFFERENT GPU VENDORS! All 7xxx series cards and APU's based on them have hardware scalers and developers have no reason to not use them as they're free.

As far as scaling games, both consoles have equivalent scalers. Only difference is MS can scale 3 different outputs, required for Game, UI, Snap, compared to 2 for PS4.

Sorry for the long read but this "DF software upscaler FUD" really pissed me off and I wanted to set things straight.

That whole post is one big mind fuck lol

DBT85

What? I don't give a fuck what games you like. I'm buying an Xbox One day one and will play Forza and Ryse. Deal with it.

This is the best way to play.

I'll play what I want, when I want, and fuck all ya'll.

Sorry for the long read but this "DF software upscaler FUD" really pissed me off and I wanted to set things straight.

's a good post. Apologise for nothing.

Top Bottom