• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinity Ward ops to show PS4 footage for COD IGN vids- a series first since MS deal?

Proxy

If true, Infinity Ward must be pretty angry that they aren't allowed the privilege of post-Gold champagne, and have to keep crunching for that 1080p up-res.

The reality is they probably won't make it. If they couldn't get the resolution up in the preceding four months I fail to see how they can these last few weeks.

UNCMark

Banned
On that note, Albert, any idea when you and your colleagues are going to deliver on the promises of :

- chart that explains Kinect functionality across countries on day 1
- UI walkthrough
- PS4 vs XB1 power difference blog post ( this was Larry.)

You can change the color of achievement notifications. Hopefully they're not releasing the big news first.

The last one they already did. They did an in-depth interview with the Digital Foundry folk.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-the-xbox-one-architects

That isn't a comparison article, that was a deflection article.

"Oh, even though we only use DDR3, our ESRAM implementation allows us to match and even beat Sony's GDDR5 peaks."
"Oh, weaker GPU? Still the same family, and we made improvements here and there. BALANCE. No bottlenecks. That's what matter."
"Lower CU count? Diminishing returns. Sony agrees!"

A proper comparison pits each spec vs each spec upfront, not try to justify why your implementation isn't inferior, outside of raw power. Also, that article does not compare actual hardware, but merely based on the spec leaks, which has been refuted by Cerny on some parts.

It's disrespectful because it presumes Albert knowingly obfuscated. And it also assumes the resolution is the direct result of a power difference. There's another reason that could have caused it and was rumored by Cboat during the summer.

Because you have to curse or be derogatory to be condescending? It's not hard to act like an adult. Even on Twitter.

I feel you may be over sensitive of you think "I find it pretty weird that ....." is immature, disrespectful, Twitter tough guy bullshit or whatever you keep saying. I also find nothing wrong with Alberts response, which others feel was equally immature, bla, b l ah.

Tamanon

Banned
...They're not holding weekly meetings at Microsoft Studios informing everybody with a office what resolution these games are running at. The guys who helped get DR3 stable probably know, but everybody outside of the unit dealing with third parties directly? I doubt it. Phil has his own launch titles to worry about.

Who said anything about that? I was responding to the thought that nobody at Microsoft would know the state of the third party games.

Amir0x

Banned
In the end, no matter what happens, it seems we're going to have to wait for a more detailed hands-on of both versions to really determine the differences. We know PS4 is native 1080p, and we know that they don't want to discuss the Xbox One's resolution for whatever reason. That is the status as it stands.

famousmortimer said they're working feverishly to patch the game, so I'd actually be really curious what would happen in such a scenario. Would it be a day one patch? Let's say they said it'd be out two weeks after XBO's launch, would that impact the conversation on these titles? Would it stick with the game at all?

Fascinating times we live in, folks.

Jomjom

Banned
Dont get why so many people are protecting Albert. He's a grown man and he chose to come here to do some PR for the Xbox One. When you do that you open yourself up to criticism if your shit smells bad. You can't just expect everyone to just eat up everything you have to say and be quiet like good little sheep. Like they say, if you can't handle the heat, get out of the kitchen.

If you can't talk about resolution then do exactly that, DON'T. Don't come in here and spout off some "it looks f'n good" nonsense and then get mad when people call you on it. People would have respected it so so much more if you just simply responded with "I can't talk about it, any other questions for me? Maybe I can answer something else."

viveks86

In the end, no matter what happens, it seems we're going to have to wait for a more detailed hands-on of both versions to really determine the differences. We know PS4 is native 1080p, and we know that they don't want to discuss the Xbox One's resolution for whatever reason. That is the status as it stands.

famousmortimer said they're working feverishly to patch the game, so I'd actually be really curious what would happen in such a scenario. Would it be a day one patch? Let's say they said it'd be out two weeks after XBO's launch, would that impact the conversation on these titles? Would it stick with the game at all?

Fascinating indeed. I'm curious to see how many people outside communities of gaming journalists and enthusiasts would let this factor into their purchase decisions. But one thing is for sure. Whenever the information gets public, we can expect Sony to market the heck out of the difference. They've been pretty aggressive this time around. I wouldn't be surprised if they release a "Did you know?" pamphlet highlighting resolution differences between multiplats at every Gamestop outlet.

Metfanant

CoD's claim to fame on consoles is the performance of that engine (something I don't think they got enough credit for this gen)...

Its 60fps or its nothing at all for them...so in all honesty the logical section of my brain says there is just no way they are going to be able to "patch" 1,152,000 extra pixels of rendering and maintain performance and keep all other assets the same...

Unless they are closer then we think and its being limited to 720p simply for the time being...but if they are "close" then I would imagine 1600x900 @ 60fps would be a nicer number to hit for launch...

Its just a whole lot of pixel power to make up with a patch...

Amir0x

Banned
CoD's claim to fame on consoles is the performance of that engine (something I don't think they got enough credit for this gen)...

Its 60fps or its nothing at all for them...so in all honesty the logical section of my brain says there is just no way they are going to be able to "patch" 1,152,000 extra pixels of rendering and maintain performance and keep all other assets the same...

Unless they are closer then we think and its being limited to 720p simply for the time being...but if they are "close" then I would imagine 1600x900 @ 60fps would be a nicer number to hit for launch...

Its just a whole lot of pixel power to make up with a patch...

Well here's the thing, and I said it in the other topic.

Xbox One is plenty capable of running Call of Duty: Ghosts and games like it @ 1080p. There's nooo doubt in the world of that. It's a cross gen port and we've all seen how it looks on PS4: crap.

So the issue would be the dev tools being behind schedule as everyone knows, and so development time being longer on the XBO in these early days due to this, and concessions needing to be made for launch.

Therefore, to me, it does not surprise me that it would be able to get a patch like that. It's a matter of the added complexity of the dev environment, people getting used to that (launch rushes suck) and the crazy launch deadlines.

So, yeah, I'm sure if they did devote enough time and resources, they can get it there in a patch. Just curious to see what the impact of such a thing on a high profile game like this would be in that event?

Elios83

Wait, things are moving fast :D Who confirmed that COD on PS4 is native 1080p?
Btw it's clear that the PS4 version will have an edge at this point and people should expect the same for all the other major multiplatform games (BF4, AC4, NFS).
You can't blame Microsoft for not releasing easily infos which can be damaging when an other company is involved. They're right in saying that this is something that Activision has to talk about.
The story about not knowing the resolution at this stage doesn't sound credible even in the (remote) case it's true, they should have just said to ask Activision since the beginning. So this is an other PR misstep IMO.

netBuff

Xbox One is plenty capable of running Call of Duty: Ghosts and games like it @ 1080p. There's nooo doubt in the world of that. It's a cross gen port and we've all seen how it looks on PS4: crap.

What makes you actually say that? I just took a gander at Black Ops 2 benchmarks: A graphics card equivalent to what's in the Xbone (about 1.1 TFLOPS for gaming) certainly wouldn't even be able to keep up at 1080p even on a medium setting.

Amir0x

Banned
What makes you actually say that? I just took a gander at Black Ops 2 benchmarks: A graphics card equivalent to what's in the Xbone (about 1.1 TFLOPS for gaming) certainly wouldn't even be able to keep up at 1080p even on a medium setting.

The fact that indisputably technically superior games are running @ 900p or 1080p on Xbox One? Forza 5 is 1080p/60, definitely technically superior to Call of Duty. Ryse is 900p, but with a visual and technical prowess that Call of Duty cannot even touch.

Mr.Speedy

Banned

Is this a serious question?

netBuff

The fact that indisputably technically superior games are running @ 900p or 1080p on Xbox One?

Ryse is 900p and 30 FPS, but I'll give you Forza (but the specific requirements of a driving game might make that 1080p target easier to hit than a competitive shooter).

Wait, things are moving fast :D Who confirmed that COD on PS4 is native 1080p?
Btw it's clear that the PS4 version will have an edge at this point and people should expect the same for all the other major multiplatform games (BF4, AC4, NFS).
You can't blame Microsoft for not releasing easily infos which can be damaging when an other company is involved. They're right in saying that this is something that Activision has to talk about.
The story about not knowing the resolution at this stage doesn't sound credible even in the (remote) case it's true, they should have just said to ask Activision since the beginning. So this is an other PR misstep IMO.

1080p native was confirmed at the Brazil Sony presser, I believe.

frizby

I'm finally convinced, and I'm frankly stunned. I really didn't expect any multiplatform launch title to show much meaningful difference, and if I were going to pick a first game, I would have picked BF4 (which may yet be similar).

But CoD? CoD??? I can't even wrap my head around CoD being the game that has a measurable and IMO drastic performance difference between Xbone and PS4. We've gone round and round about this in the "Power Struggle" thread, and I had prepared myself for framerate differences in the single or low double digits, but nothing like this, and certainly not on a game as seemingly simple and MS-centric as CoD.

How in the world? I would have bet a paycheck that Ghosts would be virtually identical on the two consoles, and maybe we're all making too much of this, but it seems to me that CoD is every bit as important for the Xbox brand as Halo, maybe moreso. Is it overly hyperbolic to say that this is just about the worst possible news?

Amir0x

Banned
Ryse is 900p and 30 FPS, but I'll give you Forza (but the specific requirements of a driving game might make that 1080p target easier to hit than a competitive shooter).

Point is, Call of Duty: Ghosts is definitely capable of running 1080p@60 on Xbox One. Just a matter of time, resources and talent of the team involved.

netBuff

Point is, Call of Duty: Ghosts is definitely capable of running 1080p@60 on Xbox One. Just a matter of time, resources and talent of the team involved.

I really don't see how you can jump to that conclusion. Certainly not without dropping a significant amount of detail.

Is this a serious question?

Yes: What the Xbone has is very weak when compared to PC configurations, and these PC configurations don't seem to indicate 1080p60 to be realistic.

Hurf

Neo Member
The fact that indisputably technically superior games are running @ 900p or 1080p on Xbox One? Forza 5 is 1080p/60, definitely technically superior to Call of Duty. Ryse is 900p, but with a visual and technical prowess that Call of Duty cannot even touch.

Ryse sure, but Forza is an up-rezzed Forza 4 with a shitload of aliasing.

I also believe a game like CoD could run 1080p60fps on the Xbone but the only thing Forza 5 is evidence of is that doing so involves a shitload of compromises in asset and rendering quality.

I don't know if either is an apt comparison, not that I necessarily disagree.

Someone more technical should definitely chime in and correct, but from what I understand deferred rendering (which COD uses?) means larger frame buffers that may not fit in the 32MB of ESRAM at 1080p. Forza is using forward rendering(?) while Ryse isn't 1080p.

Metfanant

Well here's the thing, and I said it in the other topic.

So the issue would be the dev tools being behind schedule as everyone knows, and so development time being longer on the XBO in these early days due to this, and concessions needing to be made for launch.

Therefore, to me, it does not surprise me that it would be able to get a patch like that. It's a matter of the added complexity of the dev environment, people getting used to that (launch rushes suck) and the crazy launch deadlines.

So, yeah, I'm sure if they did devote enough time and resources, they can get it there in a patch. Just curious to see what the impact of such a thing on a high profile game like this would be in that event?

I guess you could be right...for sure its not the best looking game coming out...I'm just going to say I'm skeptical of THAT kind of improvement being patched in...

If IW came out and said..."Well it's running 30-40fps at 1080p so we are launching at 900p to achieve 60fps" then I'd be confident they could pull it off...

But all the way from 720p? Phew...that's a loooooong way lol...

And this is all assuming (at least on my end) that the rest of the assets (textures, AA, shadows, lighting, etc...) are the same between both versions...

Even if they do hit 1080p...is all the eye candy there?

Amir0x

Banned
I really don't see how you can jump to that conclusion. Certainly not without dropping a significant amount of detail.

Look at the technical shit going on in Ryse. Seriously. Yes, the framerate is half, and of course there's going to be some personal interpretation involved here, but I've seen technical discussions on Ryse and what it's doing. It is doing shit that Call of Duty isn't even sniffing at. @ 900p.

Of course until we see more 60fps games more closer comparisons are impossible, but I'd say Ryse and Forza prove at least that XBO is perfectly capable of handling a game that looks like CoD at a higher resolution than 720p at least.

Hurf said:
I also believe a game like CoD could run 1080p60fps on the Xbone but the only thing Forza 5 is evidence of is that doing so involves a shitload of compromises in asset and rendering quality.

Then what does that say of the horrendous sacrifices CoD must have made to look as ugly as it does @ 1080p on PS4?

Elios83

Developers can make tons of optimizations in a console which in a PC aren't possible.
COD Ghosts runs on 360/PS3 as well, how does it run on a PC with a Geforce 7800GT? :p Can you even boot it?
These cross gen ports are totally rushed and unoptimized, it's a miracle (read: terrific cruch time by huge dev teams) they're ready for launch.
The same it's true for both the Xbox One and PS4 versions, these consoles can do much better than this. PS4 has a GPU advantage which is emerging with a resolution difference.
With proper optimizations Xbox One could reach 1080p as well, PS4 could get much better graphics while keeping the resolution.

1080p native was confirmed at the Brazil Sony presser, I believe.

Thank you ;)

Metfanant

Ryse is also half the frame rate to be fair...

Has Activision released the recommended specs for Ghosts on PC yet?...obviously it meets the minimum requirements...but I doubt the min specs are going to hit 1080p/60

Hurf

Neo Member
Then what does that say of the horrendous sacrifices CoD must have made to look as ugly as it does @ 1080p on PS4?

CoD looks terrible but it still has a lot more going on than Forza and Activision has almost certainly not had as much time or support with Xbone dev kits as Turn 10.

Right now, having not seen cross-platform games like AssCreed, Ryse is the only Xbone game we've seen running in real time that doesn't look like shit and it's being developed by Crytek on the latest iteration of Cryengine, has been in development for years and has had bags of Microsoft money thrown at its development.

This whole debacle isn't really about CoD, CoD always looks bad and sells to a largely separate demographic than most games; it's about how fucked Microsoft appears to be once these consoles hit the streets and they can't hide behind marketing FUD and shit like the DF interviews.

Amir0x

Banned

Has Activision released the recommended specs for Ghosts on PC yet?...obviously it meets the minimum requirements...but I doubt the min specs are going to hit 1080p/60

For the record, just because for example on a PC it may say you need X spec to be able to do something, doesn't mean you would need that exact same spec on XBO to do that.

official pc specs

he official minimum system requirements are as follows:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 2.66 GHZ / AMD Phenom X3 8750 2.4 GHZ or better.
Memory: 6GB RAM.
Hard Disk Space: 40GB.
Video: Nvidia GeForce GTS 450 / ATI Radeon HD 5870 or better.
Sound: DirectX compatible sound card.
DirectX: DirectX 11.
Internet: Broadband Internet connection for Steam and Online Multiplayer.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...confirms-call-of-duty-ghosts-pc-minimum-specs

This discussion actually had me recall that (now-deleted, but nothing on the internet really ever goes away) post by Timothy Lottes (FXAA creator, now at Epic) from before the reveals (that basically confirmed the pre-reveal leaks as accurate.)
Only DDR3 for system/GPU memory pared with 32MB of "ESRAM" sounds troubling. 32MB of ESRAM is only really enough to do forward shading with MSAA using only 32-bits/pixel color with 2xMSAA at 1080p or 4xMSAA at 720p. Anything else to ESRAM would require tiling and resolves like on the Xbox360 (which would likely be a DMA copy on 720) or attempting to use the slow DDR3 as a render target. I'd bet most titles attempting deferred shading will be stuck at 720p with only poor post process AA (like FXAA).
My personal project is targeting 1080p@60fps with great AA on a 560ti which is a little slower than the rumored Orbis specs. There is no way my engine would hit that target on the rumored 720 specs. Ultimately on Orbis I guess devs target 1080p/30fps (with some motion blur) and leverage the lower latency OS stack and scan out at 60fps (double scan frames) to provide a really great lower-latency experience. Maybe the same title on 720 would render at 720p/30fps, and maybe Microsoft is dedicating a few CPU hardware threads to the GPU driver stack to remove the latency problem (assuming this is a "Windows" OS under the covers).
(Emphasis added by me.)

Ryse sure, but Forza is an up-rezzed Forza 4 with a shitload of aliasing.

Wow, I didn't know the final build of Forza was playable anywhere. Please do tell me more. When and where did you get to play it?

Faddy

Banned
Could it be that Microsoft don't know the resolution that Ghost's will be running at. Not through ignorance but due to the devs trying to upgrade the resolution.

We know CoD is always aiming for smooth 60 fps which is a good decision. Assuming they don't have a variable resolution they need to lock it at some efficient number that is a good ratio for scaling. It might be stable at 720p for the full game but fall over in particularly heavy areas with lots of models and effects. If they only have to work on a few scenes to get a resolution bump to 900p it might be possible before launch to have a day 0 patch to make it happen.

If there is uncertainty then Microsoft would understandably be unwilling to confirm a rumour of a lower res but at the same time can't promise a higher res because if an upgrade doesn't make it for launch they would take more heat than they are now.

Of course we would be in a much better position as consumers if games companies could have an honest conversation with us about games development but fanboyism and hype are just too important as drivers of sales to let that happen.

Krakn3Dfx

Wow, I didn't know the final build of Forza was playable anywhere. Please do tell me more. When and where did you get to play it?

Forza 5 has been playable a lot of places, Gamescom, TGS, on the Xbox Tour vans, Microsoft Stores, etc. Plenty of people have seen it in person and played it and talked about it here. Maybe not the final build, but close enough that Microsoft is willing to show it off.

slapnuts

compare a PC "equivalent" card to a custom gpu chip that is in the XboxOne is sorta silly because the efficiency of a closed box system along with other custom optimizations to the HW in a console is really unfair.. So keep that in mind...it's not fair to say "such and such PC card cannot do 1080p so obviously the same caliber of chip in XboxOne shouldn't be able to do it" ..that is a bit of non-sense bro - Comparing the two is a bit unfair right now.

Like many others in here that have a "level, unbiased" attitude - the XboxOne is very well capable of 1080p...maybe not quite this early but once things get ironed out..i expect it to do ok with 1080p in many games. Not saying all games but surely a game like COD Ghost.

I just think dev's and tools are just a bit "green" at this point with the new X1 HW..i expect much better results when those things ripe a bit.

On a side note: It might be good advice if you chill out with the obvious xbox stealth trolling...yes you hide it well so i give you props on that lol but it's starting to stick out like a sore thumb and mod's will come like a thief in the night and snatch you up when you least expect it lol. You spend a great deal of time praising PS4 and rightfully so but i see you bend over backwards at throwing around rotten tomatoes in xbox threads every chance you get...i guess your post history just exposes this attribute of you to a great deal.

vpance

...it's not fair to say such and such PC card cannot do 1080p so obviously the same caliber of chip in XboxOne shouldn't be able to do it" ..that is a bit of non-sense bro - Comparing the two is a bit unfair right now.

It's not about being fair, but rather that these launch titles aren't optimized much, if at all, for consoles. So these console GPU's could be expected to perform at best as good as similarly spec'd PC ones at the moment, so the comparison is probably quite apt.

Metfanant

compare a PC "equivalent" card to a custom gpu chip that is in the XboxOne is sorta silly because the efficiency of a closed box system along with other custom optimizations to the HW in a console is really unfair.. So keep that in mind...it's not fair to say "such and such PC card cannot do 1080p so obviously the same caliber of chip in XboxOne shouldn't be able to do it" ..that is a bit of non-sense bro - Comparing the two is a bit unfair right now.

Like many others in here that have a "level, unbiased" attitude - the XboxOne is very well capable of 1080p...maybe not quite this early but once things get ironed out..i expect it to do ok with 1080p in many games. Not saying all games but surely a game like COD Ghost.

I just think dev's and tools are just a bit "green" at this point..i expect much better results when those things ripe a bit.

On a side note: It might be good advice if you chill out with the obvious xbox stealth trolling...yes you hide it well so i give you props on that lol but it's starting to stick out like a sore thumb and mod's will come like a thief in the night and snatch you up when you least expect it lol. You spend a great deal of time praising PS4 and rightfully so but i see you bend over backwards at throwing around rotten tomatoes in xbox threads every chance you get...i guess your post history just exposes this attribute of you to a great deal.

My only gripe with this type of thinking is the idea that the Xbone is "very well capable of 1080p."

The problem is that fact in and of itself doesn't really MEAN anything...the PS3 and 360 were "very well capable of 1080p." The Wii U is "very well capable of 1080p."

The question becomes is it "very well capable of 1080p" at the same visual fidelity as its competition?

The PS3 or 360 could run BF4 or CoD Ghosts in 1080p 60fps if the devs really wanted to...but what other sacrifices would need to be made?

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Except, as has been stated by many people many times, 32 MB of ESRAM simply isn't enough for 1080p if you're doing some reasonably sophisticated rendering with decent AA. Only the simplest form of forward rendering, with no or little AA, will fit in that memory. If you want to do more, while still running at 1080p, you're gonna have to use other solutions, and then performance will suffer instead. The PS4 doesn't have this issue, because it has 8 GB (ok, probably around 6 GB for games) of fast memory to throw as many render targets as you want into. Then there's the difference in shader performance, ROPs, etc, but the memory differences alone mean the XBO will always have a harder time running things at 1080p than the PS4.

(I don't know what sort of rendering solution COD uses though. Maybe it really should be able to run at 1080p on the XBO without issues, maybe their engine is just bad (the recommended PC specs might hint at this given how the game looks), maybe the XBO dev tools just aren't as mature as they should be.)

jaypah

This discussion actually had me recall that (now-deleted, but nothing on the internet really ever goes away) post by Timothy Lottes (FXAA creator, now at Epic) from before the reveals (that basically confirmed the pre-reveal leaks as accurate.)

(Emphasis added by me.)

Excellent call back. That should be looked at as a direct shot in retrospect.

On a side note: It might be good advice if you chill out with the obvious xbox stealth trolling...yes you hide it well...

Lmao, hide it well? I love Buff BECAUSE he doesn't hide shit.

Top Bottom