• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Injustice 2: Fighter Pack 1 revealed (Starfire, Red Hood, Subzero announced as DLC)

This is why you should all wait for Injustice 2XL.

Don't support this revolting practice please.

I still don't understand why EA and Activision are always the evil demons when WB is a thing.
No way I don't want to be left behind. New fighting games are at its hypest and most exciting around launch.

dawgparty

This is why you should all wait for Injustice 2XL.

Don't support this revolting practice please.

I still don't understand why EA and Activision are always the evil demons when WB is a thing.

Except, you know, people want to play it?

CryptiK

Uggh

Is there a single person out there actually likes the original "sexy" design of Starfire. It always looked like absolute trash. Her animated Teen Titans design is so much better.
A Majority of people who read comics. I think you will find that you fall into the minority here.

Five bucks for a character is a steal go play Marvel Heroes where they charge 19.99 for a character and one shitty default costume or when they sell costumes for 10-17 dollars. Capcom can't even be bothered to put all their DLC into the season pass.

Well, he was hinted to be the next villain in MK11...

I do want to see where they go with Raiden in MK 11, that looked interesting. But I think 2 MK reps in Injustice 2 when there are a lot of DC characters people want in, just seems wrong. One character made sense considering the first Injustice and it is NRS and they love guest characters.

Lothars

I'm very dissapointed in the fact they have two mortal kombat characters. One is fine but more than one is taking up a spot of DC characters.

vg260

It's not that simple. You can say that about cosmetic DLC, but DLC characters are pure greed and anti-consumer, plain and simple. Unless you can at least grind ingame currency to buy them. That is what F2P games do, and this 60€ game can't? Seriously.

Counterpoint./question: Why do people expect to keep getting fighting game characters over time for free? Characters are the most significant content in a fighter, and require a lot of development effort. If a studio continues to produce DLC over time after launch, why shouldn't they be compensated for their work, be it costumes or characters? Should they keep spending development resources putting out characters for free and lose that investment?

F2P games have other monetary hooks like loot box gambling or other microtransactions to make money. Same concept, different content.

Skilletor

Five bucks for a character is a steal go play Marvel Heroes where they charge 19.99 for a character and one shitty default costume or when they sell costumes for 10-17 dollars. Capcom can't even be bothered to put all their DLC into the season pass.

Somehow I doubt all of the DLC is in this bundle. I'm sure there will be more "premium" skins to be bought.

All of the cosmetic DLC wasn't in the MK character passes (or whatever it was called), either.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

MH is F2P

SpaceWolf

Banned
No way I don't want to be left behind.

NetherRealm right now:

giphy.gif

Nev

Banned
Can a fighter please adopt the cosmetic lootcrate model so whales pay for cool, free updates for the rest of us?

Oh don't worry, Injustice 2 will probably have something akin to a cosmetic lootcrate model. You'll still have to pay for the characters lol. #WB

Anyways Raiden is a terrible choice. It's never going to happen but I wish they went for Robotman. He's the better DC Iron Man, not Cyborg.

Magwik

Banned
Can a fighter please adopt the cosmetic lootcrate model so whales pay for cool, free updates for the rest of us?
This is actually the most infuriating part of their DLC model. They could sell loot boxes to to allow characters to be free but oh well

Edit: got my info wrong

Meh, I'm most excited about Sub-Zero out of these initial three. Starfire's never really managed to stick with me, and I don't think I've really ever liked Red Hood outside of his debut story.

Really hoping for Batgirl but with a completely retooled moveset down the line, appreciated that she made the DLC roster in the first game but always felt like her fighting style was kinda whack.

vg260

No. You're screwing over one part of the userbase by exploiting a real money gambling scheme instead of just simply putting out content that people can purchase if they want.

Making others gamble their money in hopes to get a costume or some minor cosmetic item just because you want to keep getting content for free sucks.

As long as they keep the pricing reasonable, simply offering additional content for purchase where you can simply buy what you want is the most amicable solution for everyone.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
FTFY

And yeah, Raiden over Static would be hella disappointing.

Heh, as a person who actually was into the original Static Comics (back during the Milestone Days), you'd think I'd know better!

Bes way to troll the reveal would be for Static to be under all that Raiden Garb, which he has a costume customization options in the game.

... Now I wish there were Hardware and Icon skins / characters in the game too. :-/

Jason and Kori looking good

6iqiVmf.png

z3Z4P2j.png

So now for the hard hitting questions.

Release date around a month from now?
All of them released at the same time or staggered releases?

Forkball

No. You're screwing over one part of the userbase by exploiting a real money gambling scheme instead of just simply putting out content that people can purchase if they want.

Making others gamble their money in hopes to get a costume or some minor cosmetic item just because you want to keep getting content for free sucks.

As long as they keep the pricing reasonable, simply offering additional content for purchase where you can simply buy what you want is the most amicable solution for everyone.

I would rather have new, free characters than cosmetic items. Personally I do think lootboxes are very predatory and is basically gambling... but I can't lie and say I'm not benefiting from it. I haven't bought a single lootcrate in Overwatch. I don't play Overwatch these days, but I do log on every time they have an event and play a few rounds. The constant support that game gets is largely because people willingly drop money on those lootboxes. I think people would be more willing to return to a game after hearing there is a new free content update as opposed hearing that they just added a bunch of stuff you have to buy.

I understand selling cosmetics and characters straight up is the bread and butter for many (all?) fighting game franchises. I have bought characters and costumes before for fighting games. But I would think in terms of longevity and player interest, perhaps someone could succeed with a model that focuses on primarily free updates with purchaseable cosmetics as a secondary source of income.

I like how people are acting like NetherRealm are attempting to sell a barebones game to people when the base game has arguably more content than every other fighter out there.

Top Bottom