• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Injustice 2 my GOTY contender

Nice that Injustice won fighting Game of the Year but shouldn't it have been in contention at least for GOTY. I haven't played all the contenders but I must say Injustice 2 was far and away the best game in its genre by a mile. It so clearly out classes the competition in its genre it should have been honored with a GOTY nomination at least.

Superior Voice Acting and Superior Writing
SupergirlTrailer.jpg

Can NRS top this?

Soltype

Been playing it a ton lately, and I agree, the game is a tour de force.My only issue is the dlc and loot boxes, otherwise it's fantastic.

Agreed 100% NRS provides single player content that is constantly changing every hour, week, day and a robust story mode that makes its competition a laughingstock.

Wonko_C

So a fighting game is considered for game of the year based on writing and voice acting, but not on fighting mechanics now?

Not when Tekken 7 released on the same year. Nope.

KAOS

Best Fighting Game of the Year... Definitely! It's the full package from it's Visuals, Gameplay and Modes. A dying breed of a fighting game that gives you everything in one satisfying package (dlc are just character bonuses) and not in this drip... drip... spend money... spend money... variety!

Tekken 7 wasn't bad but visually it looked like it was smeared in crap with long loading times (I really hope the new Soul Calibur looks better and is better optimized)! Heck the 2012 VF 5 FS looks and plays better than T7!

Soltype

So a fighting game is considered for game of the year based on writing and voice acting, but not on fighting mechanics now?

You're crazy, Tekken 7 is worst tekken in recent memory.

RAIDEN1

Gotta get this....at somepoint!....Plus with the added bonus of it having some MK characters within it as it'll be a while before we get another Mortal Kombat..

f@luS

More than a member.
GOTY maybe for le as well
For sure my most played game. I play almost daily with one friend of mine.

==> competitive versus ==> random. First to 15 wins. Can pick another random if we got the same character twice.

Amazing game

As a long time Tekken fan, 7 didn't blow me away. The lack of game modes, the lack luster story mode, the long loading times. Game play was solid but not so good to erase the flaws.

I didn't think much of Injustice 1 but when I played 2 I was impressed on all aspects. The graphics, the gameplay, the netcode. I was addicted to grinding out loot boxes in I2 for months. I would even let the AI run while I watched netflix.

I certainly hope the Soul team learns from T7 and improves the loading and keeps the game modes in.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Injustice 2 is good enough to get me to put time into a fighting game at a time I do not give a shot about fighting games. It’s really that good

Kid Ying

I've found it to be a bit 'slow" and i didnt like the armor mechanics of changing gear (although i also feel that it gives a Sense of uniqueness of tour charavter and thats pretty cool). I prefer the First one. The graphics are pretty great though.

RAIDEN1

Is there an ultimate edition to go for where you get ALL the DLC characters or is it a case of buying them as they come along?

Hostile_18

Banned

Erm... yes! Why should one game be rated on any one element alone? Plus even within any genre different games can be more accessible/casual than others. The fact it has such mainstream appeal should be commended.

I'm 50/50 on my game of The year. Either this or Lost Legacy for me, I think Legacy just pips it. Still THE best fighting game I've ever played though.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Smh, uninstalled this right after finishing the story.
Don't understand how a dial-a-combo, slow and rigid as hell fighting game is a contender for "goty", when games like nier: automata exist.

Soltype

Smh, uninstalled this right after finishing the story.
Don't understand how a dial-a-combo, slow and rigid as hell fighting game is a contender for "goty", when games like nier: automata exist.
Lol, I guess VF and tekken are dial a combo games too.

Wonko_C

Erm... yes! Why should one game be rated on any one element alone? Plus even within any genre different games can be more accessible/casual than others. The fact it has such mainstream appeal should be commended.

Well, in hindsight I have no right answer to that other that I personally think it's wrong, LOL. If the fighting mechanics are worse than their competition, no amount of story, graphics, presentation can make me keep playing for long.

Case contrary with Marvel VS Capcom Infinite: Bad graphics, barebones presentation, terrible voices, but OMG the game such a joy to play that all the other aspects just become fluff.

Hostile_18

Banned
Well, in hindsight I have no right answer to that other that I personally think it's wrong, LOL. If the fighting mechanics are worse than their competition, no amount of story, graphics, presentation can make me keep playing for long.

Case contrary with Marvel VS Capcom Infinite: Bad graphics, barebones presentation, terrible voices, but OMG the game such a joy to play that all the other aspects just become fluff.

See I was exactly the opposite with Marvel vs Capcom 3. Got bored so quickly, it was very bare bones on release. With Injustice there's the story mode, guilds, ranked, character customisation, battle simulator etc. I have never been into fighting games on a hard-core level but I haven't noticed a lack of depth or anything compared to other games :).

I've been enjoying my time with it since it launched on PC. Personally prefer MKX as I miss the fatalities and I'm one of those weirdos who likes a dedicated block button. But a great game and one of my top 10 of 2017. Superman and Supergirl have been my mains thus far, but I look forwarded to branching out when I have more time. Too many games at the moment.

Big2hd

Neo Member
It's got my vote, I'm a very casual fighting game fan, to say the least, and I still haven't stopped playing this game. Most fighting games do a poor job on single player/story mode content and expect me to go online with FGC OGs all day and get rekt, but Injustice has done the opposite. With the combination of the ever-changing Multiverse, vast amount gear and abilities to unlock you literally have to try to not find something new to do. And if you want to get sweaty, online is pretty good as well. It can get zoney but NRS has done admirable job with patching making sure characters are balanced but some still need work(notables Supergirl needs a nerf and Raiden, Captian Cold need a buff)

BlindMan94

Neo Member
Is there an ultimate edition to go for where you get ALL the DLC characters or is it a case of buying them as they come along?

There's an ultimate edition if you don't have the game to start with, or an 'Ultimate Pass' if you do, which gives you access to all the DLC. Was actually half-price a few weeks back on the PSN, which made it pretty affordable.

I really hope that NRS's next game will have a Collector's Edition. I was surprised Injustice 2 didn't have a statue, an arcade stick or character bookends (ala, MK9 collector's). I know in some countries, they bundled Injustice 2 with a pro controller.

kunonabi

Eh, contentwise it is phenomenal but the core gameplay/balance has issues, i hate the character designs and models, and the continued lack of classic costumes is just crazy to me. Evil Superman is also completely boring to me at this point regardless of how well done it is.

No! They borked it with the late and bug ridden PC-Version. Seven Months after first release, content held back, price tag too high and (til the last big one) patches too not doing anything relevant. (I know, that it works as intended now).
I like the character models and the "real" faces of almost anybody, but yes, kunonabi is right, the costume design is friggin' lackin'.
And goddamn a GOTY shouldnt have jarring skips from 60fps gameplay to 30fps everything else. Do one or do the other but NEVER both in one game!

CD'S BAR

just got this on the psn flash sale. great first impression. feels like mkx with more customizability (think mkx gameplay is a bit better though.) also the writing in the story is really good.

Top Bottom