• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Injustice "Battle Arena": New Gameplay Every Monday, Votes on Thursday

Choose an OT subtitle.

Results are only viewable after voting.

shaowebb

TRUE MARKSMAN ACHIEVEMENT
Win a match with Green Arrow using only arrows.
CoT26Gh.jpg

Challenge accepted. My bow is ready son.

Thores

A few emails later...

rJpfTcn.jpg
6wJjfKl.png

I know everyone's saying center ???, top right Raven.... I think center might be Raven, and top right is... Captain Cold? Either way I think they're both wearing hoods.

If Raven's a villain I kinda hope she heel face turns during the story.

TDLink

I know everyone's saying center ???, top right Raven.... I think center might be Raven, and top right is... Captain Cold? Either way I think they're both wearing hoods.

If Raven's a villain I kinda hope she heel face turns during the story.

This isn't going by who's a villain in the game's story, but who's a villain traditionally. Otherwise Superman and Wonder Woman would be here. That's part of why I really don't think Raven is one of these. I don't think they look like Captain Cold either though.

NEO0MJ

The more I look at the center character, the more I see a hood, too. The top right character looks male.

Yeah, both seem to be hooded. Maybe the one in the middle is Raven? And the one in the top right might be cold, Black Adam isn't so blue.

Ryce

I think the middle character is Raven. The "hair" looks more like a hood.

Cl7vssx.png

If she's in the center of all the characters, who says she even has to be a villain? We don't know anything about Battle Mode yet.

TDLink

I think the middle character is Raven. The "hair" looks more like a hood.

Cl7vssx.png

If she's in the center of all the characters, who says she even has to be a villain? We don't know anything about Battle Mode yet.

I agree that is not hair, it is definitely a hood. Not sure on it being Raven though.

Top right looks like Spectre, to me.

For reference:

Now that he's in color, and his skin is obviously chalk white, I'm thinking that's the dude.

He's not really a bad-guy, though.

Spectre absolutely looks closer than any of the other suggestions so far.

TDLink

Well Eclipso is evil Spectre, maybe they just combined the two characters into one?

AFAIK Eclipso looks more goblinish than Spectre, which is why it really doesn't look like Eclipso to me. Plus Eclipso's ears are really one of his defining features and they are obviously not present here.

Also, Spectre's not being a bad-guy doesn't really factor in when it appears (I haven't read the prequel comic) that the whole point of this game is that Superman is essentially a bad guy that Batman has to stop, yes?

TDLink

Also, Spectre's not being a bad-guy doesn't really factor in when it appears (I haven't read the prequel comic) that the whole point of this game is that Superman is essentially a bad guy that Batman has to stop, yes?

While true, all of the characters in this image that we for-sure-know are traditionally villains. Superman appears in another achievement picture similar to this with characters traditionally heroes, including Batman.

More possibilities for the heads:

Phobia (Teen Titans villain)?:

Angela_Hawkins_III_003.jpg

Circe (Wonder Woman villain)?:

circecece_zps95df8c5d.jpg

Khezu

Oh also, Boon straight up deconfirmed Poison Ivy, and said that at least she has a stage interaction in Arkham.

Not that anyone actually thought she had a good chance.

TDLink

Will there be more characters besides the Battle Arena ones?

Yes. Not all of the officially revealed characters are even in the Battle Arena.

The Battle Arena only features 16 characters. The game is going to have 25+ characters (probably 28 or 30, plus DLC ones).

Phobia kinda looks like upper-right, but upper-right seems to look more masculine than feminine.

Dark hood, chalk-white skin: I gotta imagine they're going for characters more known, than not. Phobia is cool, but nowhere near as known as Spectre.

How crazy would it be if Spectre, in-story, is what happens to Hal Jordan?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Yes. Not all of the officially revealed characters are even in the Battle Arena.

The Battle Arena only features 16 characters. The game is going to have 25+ characters (probably 28 or 30, plus DLC ones).

I would be very surprise with 32 but chance of that happen is very low.

TDLink

Phobia kinda looks like upper-right, but upper-right seems to look more masculine than feminine.

Dark hood, chalk-white skin: I gotta imagine they're going for characters more known, than not. Phobia is cool, but nowhere near as known as Spectre.

How crazy would it be if Spectre, in-story, is what happens to Hal Jordan?

If Raven is in (which is extremely likely) Phobia also sort of works as a direct villain to her.

In regards to the bold, that would be pretty awesome. Would love to see it happen.

Either way, The Spectre is more known than Phobia but for the mainstream audience (which is obviously what this game is primarily catering to with its character choices) I think they are both going to be seen as equally obscure.

If Raven is in (which is extremely likely) Phobia also sort of works as a direct villain to her.

In regards to the bold, that would be pretty awesome. Would love to see it happen.

Either way, The Spectre is more known than Phobia but for the mainstream audience (which is obvious what this game is primarily catering to with its character choices) I think they are both going to be seen as equally obscure.

True indeed, and you have a point if that is, in fact, Raven. Raven vs Phobia makes sense.

But now I sorta hope Hal turning into Spectre is part of the storyline.

I really do hope there are more character/story reveals, since there's nothing else new coming out of Battle Arena.

Also out of curiosity, I looked up who else George Newbern has played outside of Superman, and I found that he's also played Sephiroth multiple times. That guy has Superman and Sephiroth under his belt. That's pretty cool.

TDLink

I really do hope there are more character/story reveals, since there's nothing else new coming out of Battle Arena.

I'm positive it will happen. We have 6 weeks left till launch. They're going to need to put out at least a few reveals between now and then to keep hype up.

Ryce

Assuming the worst with a bare minimum of 24 playable characters, that's still five left to be revealed, so there's going to have to be at least one new character reveal per week until the beginning of April.

Cynar

I just put my pre-order down on this last night. I don't even really like dc or mortal Kombat but these videos have me sold.

TDLink

Assuming the worst with a bare minimum of 24 playable characters, that's still five left to be revealed, so there's going to have to be at least one new character reveal per week until the beginning of April.

The worst/bare minimum is actually 25 characters since they confirmed it will be more than 24.

There's also a strong possibility that they won't officially reveal every character before the game is out.

Kizer

I just put my pre-order down on this last night. I don't even really like dc or mortal Kombat but these videos have me sold.

Where did you pre-order, if you don't mind me asking.

If there are two more black lanterns to be shown with batman, I am going amazon/best buy (whomever).

Otherwise, I'm going with the red son pack.

Same here. But I'm not easily amused *shrugs*

*is easily amused* :p

TDLink said:
I'm positive it will happen. We have 6 weeks left till launch. They're going to need to put out at least a few reveals between now and then to keep hype up.

I suppose. We did get that Aquaman story trailer, followed by an Aquaman combat trailer. I don't know why Aquaman is getting all this love, but I'm not complaining. More content is good content.

TheFallen

I want to say they didn't unveil all of the characters for MK9 prior to launch, so I have a feeling they'll do the same here and leave a few surprises.

If there are two more black lanterns to be shown with batman, I am going amazon/best buy (whomever).

That pre-order bonus includes "zombie mode" (and I'm assuming zombie skins for the characters), so I'd say it's unlikely they'll get any more than that.

phaonaut

I just read the Injustice comic that sets the stage for the game, up to issue 7 now, and it has me excited for the story in game. I don't want to spoil the comic, but if you have a chance check it out.

Kizer

I want to say they didn't unveil all of the characters for MK9 prior to launch, so I have a feeling they'll do the same here and leave a few surprises.

That pre-order bonus includes "zombie mode" (and I'm assuming zombie skins for the characters), so I'd say it's unlikely they'll get any more than that.

But that is a "mode". Also those "zombie skins" that they showed are not them as black lanterns.

Mind you, batman has a "zombie skin" and a black lantern skin. They look different
Injustice-Gods-Among-Us-Blackest-Knight-Pack-Zombie-Mode.jpg

Cynar

Best Buy mainly due to the 800 reward zone points in Canada. I'm not even sure if there is a dlc bonus as I didn't see anything on the Canadian website. :-(

Ryce

I've seen you say this a whole lot but I don't remember ever seeing the source for this information. Was it a Boon tweet?
I don't believe it was ever confirmed. Hector Sanchez was asked about the character select screen and said it was a "decoy," but that doesn't necessarily mean its roster count is inaccurate.

The E3 2010 demo version of Mortal Kombat was also said to be "not final," but it ended up looking exactly like the final select screen, right down to character count: http://www.trmk.org/images/mk9/MortalKombat_E3_SelectScreen_Tedakin.jpg

For my money, if we're not getting 24 characters, then we're getting 28. 12/14 heroes and 12/14 villains; among them, 6/7 power users and 6/7 gadget users each. Since we're already at 7 power heroes, I'm going with 28.

TDLink

I've seen you say this a whole lot but I don't remember ever seeing the source for this information. Was it a Boon tweet?

In this interview @~4:07 Hector says "We have revealed 12 characters and we are not even half way there yet". 12 is half of 24. If they were not yet half way at 12 that means the roster count is more than 24.

In this interview @~4:00 Hector says they are looking to have "between 20 and 30 characters, somewhere around what we had for MK (28 initially)".

There is also another interview where he says that character select is not indicative of the final product but I am not able to find it right now.

Ryce

http://st3.speedforce.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/IGAUgameplay1.jpg

If you cut each of the character icons at the chest (roughly where the P1 and P2 indicators appear), then a fifth row could easily be added. Here's my mock-up:

74sSRkd.png

Power Heroes
  1. Superman
  2. Wonder Woman
  3. Green Lantern
  4. Aquaman
  5. Shazam
  6. Cyborg
  7. Hawkgirl
Gadget Heroes
  1. Batman
  2. The Flash
  3. Nightwing
  4. Green Arrow
  5. ??? [Raven]
  6. ???
  7. ???
Power Villains
  1. Lex Luthor
  2. Sinestro
  3. Bane
  4. Solomon Grundy
  5. ??? [Black Adam]
  6. ??? [Ares]
  7. ??? [Doomsday, if he's playable]
Gadget Villains
  1. The Joker
  2. Catwoman
  3. Deathstroke
  4. Harley Quinn
  5. ???
  6. ???
  7. ???

TDLink

If you cut each of the character icons at the chest (roughly where the P1 and P2 indicators appear), then a fifth row could easily be added. Here's my mock-up:

74sSRkd.png

Power Heroes
  1. Superman
  2. Wonder Woman
  3. Green Lantern
  4. Aquaman
  5. Shazam
  6. Cyborg
  7. Hawkgirl
Gadget Heroes
  1. Batman
  2. The Flash
  3. Nightwing
  4. Green Arrow
  5. ??? [Raven]
  6. ???
  7. ???
Power Villains
  1. Lex Luthor
  2. Sinestro
  3. Bane
  4. Solomon Grundy
  5. ??? [Black Adam]
  6. ??? [Ares]
Gadget Villains
  1. The Joker
  2. Catwoman
  3. Deathstroke
  4. Harley Quinn
  5. ???
  6. ???
  7. ???

Yes, I agree with this. Good catch on the placement of those P1/P2 indicators. With this mock-up it would also be possible that one of the icons you marked as DLC would open a sub-menu for all DLC characters (think how Soul Calibur has done their bonus characters) with the other being for Random Select.

If this was the roster count too, for the last 5 gadget characters I would probably go with (based on hints):

Damian Wayne
Martian Manhunter

Captain Cold
Mystery Woman Villain???
True ??? (Aquaman villain maybe?)

Thores

74sSRkd.png

Power Heroes
  1. Superman
  2. Wonder Woman
  3. Green Lantern
  4. Aquaman
  5. Shazam
  6. Cyborg
  7. Hawkgirl
Gadget Heroes
  1. Batman
  2. The Flash
  3. Nightwing
  4. Green Arrow
  5. ??? [Raven]
  6. ??? [Martian Manhunter]
  7. ??? [Damian Wayne]
Power Villains
  1. Lex Luthor
  2. Sinestro
  3. Bane
  4. Solomon Grundy
  5. ??? [Black Adam]
  6. ??? [Ares]
Gadget Villains
  1. The Joker
  2. Catwoman
  3. Deathstroke
  4. Harley Quinn
  5. ??? [Captain Cold]
  6. ??? [Circe/Spectre?]
  7. ??? [DLC Slot]

My predictions added to your predictions.

Edit: aagh, mostly beaten

Ryce

Yes, I agree with this. Good catch on the placement of those P1/P2 indicators. With this mock-up it would also be possible that one of the icons you marked as DLC would open a sub-menu for all DLC characters (think how Soul Calibur has done their bonus characters) with the other being for Random Select.

If this was the roster count too, for the last 5 gadget characters I would probably go with (based on hints):

Damian Wayne
Martian Manhunter

Captain Cold
Mystery Woman Villain???
True ??? (Aquaman villain maybe?)
I'd say Martian Manhunter is a lock for DLC -- Ed Boon just Tweeted this, even. He's a power character, and there isn't room for him on the default roster (I truly think NetherRealm will equally represent each). I agree with Robin. The last gadget hero might even be Beast Boy, whose voice actor will be featured in an upcoming Battle Arena video.

For the remaining gadget villains, Killer Frost, a Flash villain, and Ocean Master are my current top picks.

TDLink

I'd say Martian Manhunter is a lock for DLC -- Ed Boon just Tweeted this, even. He's a power character, and there isn't room for him on the default roster (I truly think NetherRealm will equally represent each). I agree with Robin. The last gadget hero might even be Beast Boy, whose voice actor will be featured in an upcoming Battle Arena video.

For the remaining gadget villains, Killer Frost, a Flash villain, and Ocean Master are my current top picks.

It won't hurt to tweet your vote for Martian Manhunter but I am fairly certain Boon is just trolling here. We already know MM is going to be in the story, he's the only main JL member missing, and Boon has said in the past that if he were to put Zoom in the game it would be as an alternate costume for Flash. So yeah...I think this is just Boon being Boon. I still believe MM will be in the base roster. May as well vote anyways though.

Also, Manhunter could be a Power or Gadget character. He does plenty of beep-booping on computers that I could see them making him one for this.

Top Bottom