• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inktober 2017 |OT| Digital Artists Welcome

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
gaf_logo.jpg

Hello, welcome to everyone's favorite seasonal art related hashtag, #inktober! We are back for our fourth year in a row! This year is highlighted by no drama whatsoever within the art community regarding this challenge! Nope!

Thread Archive said:

Inktober is an art challenge were you are encouraged to make one ink (traditional or digital) based piece a day during the month of October. It was started by Jake Parker, here is what he has to share this year, per the official site:

Jake Parker said:
Every October, artists all over the world take on the Inktober drawing challenge by doing one ink drawing a day the entire month.

I created Inktober in 2009 as a challenge to improve my inking skills and develop positive drawing habits. It has since grown into a worldwide endeavor with thousands of artists taking on the challenge every year.

Anyone can do Inktober, just pick up a pen and start drawing.

Inktober rules:

1) Make a drawing in ink (you can do a pencil under-drawing if you want).

2) Post it online

3) Hashtag it with #inktober and #inktober2017

4) Repeat

Note: you can do it daily, or go the half-marathon route and post every other day, or just do the 5K and post once a week. What ever you decide, just be consistent with it. INKtober is about growing and improving and forming positive habits, so the more you're consistent the better.

That's it! Now go make something beautiful.

Shameless Self Promoting said:
Since I made the thread Im going to be a total dick and sneak in my Twitter and Tumblr pages where you'll be able to find my entries (as well as this thread, obviously)

How to inktober, a video guide

Purchase your official inktober shirt here

If you are running low on ideas, here is an official prompt list you can use to help

f6d18093ca90c8c5-2017promptlistsm02.png

GAF has always responded well to this challenge. My personal opinion is to not take it too seriously when it comes to the rules, just use them as a guideline and have fun! You will improve the most by creating something, doesnt matter if its analog or digital. You may find a little bit of extra fun by stepping out of your comfort zone, but dont let any rules discourage you from participating!

F.A.Q

So digital art is acceptable as well?
Don't really have the proper inking tools for analog.

Absolutely! In this day and age there are a million ways to create art! Jake is a traditional analog artist, but many digital only artists participate in inktober and have a great time doing so.

I'm really behind on this, should I quit?

Hell no! Even if you only make one drawing, thats way better than zero drawings. We all have lives and cant always afford the time. Keep your own pace, theres no pressure here.

What tools should I use?

Pretty much anything ink based, even a ball point pen can give you some amazing results, however here is a handy list that might help you. For covering BIG areas with black I personally use a brush pen (this is my favorite and a bargain at that price) or even leave it blank and fill it in Photoshop (not too much to learn from filling darks, its a personal preference)

Some highlights from the 2016 thread:

oh you thought i fell off, huh???
OoA9e3W.jpg

Recreated one of my favorite panels ever
o6eNsAJ.jpg

Here are some of mine:
Day 3: collect
5MVfv6X.jpg

Day 6: Hidden: Uncovered lost prototype fighter
7EuroAk.jpg

Day 8 Rock:
fJ1FbvF.jpg

Day 9 Broken:
zndN7Ey.jpg

A more modern mythological creature for day 6! I feel like most of you will recognize this one.

TRNGbwn.png

For day 18, a bit wonky I feel XD

Finally, for your reference here are other relevant Art GAF threads:

Arts and Farts
NeoGAF Drawing-a-Day Thread
Art Self Study (fundamentals)

Thats all! Good luck and HAVE FUN!

Platy

Saddly this has became the only month in the year where I properly draw. So let's make it count.

My idea is ....to do a comic. No script just a basic overview. The exacts will be choose at the spot based on how much time I have to draw the piece each day.

I will regret this later

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Saddly this has became the only month in the year where I properly draw. So let's make it count.

My idea is ....to do a comic. No script just a basic overview. The exacts will be choose at the spot based on how much time I have to draw the piece each day.

I will regret this later

If you lay it out in advance and then do a panel a day, I think you could make it work!

Jintor

i'm gonna do what i usually do which is take a striking photo from one of my feeds and redraw it my style

I will sign up for pencil-practice-tober as someone is who learning to draw and make my goal four(!) pieces I don't mind sharing with the internet. That is a lofty goal.

Futureman

I love drawing as a hobby but always take way too long on each piece. Maybe I'll participate here and focus on doing more quicker/doodle type cartoons...

Either way subscribing to see what GAF draws!

Jhoan

I've already been doing Inktober stuff year round with watercolors and ink. Bought a Pentel Pocket brush pen a few weeks ago and it's a damn good product for its price. No wonder pro comic book artists swear by it: it's cheap to replace the ink cartridges. Also been experimenting with crow quill pens, fine tipped brush, and speedball ink.

I always fall off the pace by the second week because I don't have much time to draw during NY Comic Con and other events I have going on in October. Plus I'm private in that I forget to take pics and post them daily. I think setting reminders to draw every day on my phone is key because the only time I draw is during my subway commutes/in public places.

Also, I hate to be a negative Nancy but here's a counter point arguing against Inktober: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P7tIluyQaZw

TL;DR version: Silver argues that one should be drawing every day rather than 31 days of the year; some people are afraid of using ink.

To be fair, one of the best things I've ever seen that came out of Inktober was an Indie comic that I came across at an Indie comic creator con here in NY called Inktoby that spawned from it but became its own project. Any way, will subscribe even though you pros intimidate and do some crazy good work with Copics.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I bought a fine liner to motivate myself to do it.

Realistically it's going to end up being scribbles of sketches rather than any proper pieces like the glorious stuff in OP. I hope that "counts" lol

I going to give it a try. I'm so busy with work that I haven't had much time to practice lately, but working with inks is still a huge weakness of mine so I need to motivate myself to get better

its 1 Oct here, downunder!

theme was supplied by OceanicAir
Holy smokes, yn that's awesome work! Crazy how quick you did too. Feels kinda cool that you were able to use my theme for it! :D

And to the rest of the people in the OP and that are participating this month you have amazing work and can't wait to see what you come up with!

Soma

Just bought a new set of microns so I'm gonna try to keep up with it as much as I can this year!

I'm super rusty so it's nice to have an excuse to get back into the game.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Day 1!

Gonna do a year-in-review of games I beat in 2017... so here's Batman, since I played through the NES Batman game in January. Use your imagination to insert the purple tint. :p

AdanVC

Niiice! So cool to see GAF into the hype of Inktober. Can't believe I missed the threads of past years! D: some amazing drawings in there! Will join the fun and will try to do the whole month.

exhume

Hey GAF, I wanna join in!
I quit drawing for about 10 years, and am just getting back into it in the last couple of months. I suck, but I'm hoping at the end of October there might be a bit of improvement :)

This took about 20 minutes, using wildly inappropriate materials for the paper:

I fucked up not having my sketchbook and pen with me. Gotta get first one done before work.

Time to look at instragram and start. James Jean, Esao Andrews, Shintaro Kago. Caitlin Hackett, Audra Auclair. Goddamn it's good to be able to view great art in a couple taps.

GL;HF

Hey GAF, I wanna join in!
I quit drawing for about 10 years, and am just getting back into it in the last couple of months. I suck, but I'm hoping at the end of October there might be a bit of improvement :)
yKkZor1.jpg

This took about 20 minutes, using wildly inappropriate materials for the paper:

How you going to say you suck, when you put some shit out like this in only 20 minutes? GET THE FUCK OUTTA HERE!

LegendX48

Yay, inktober 2017 thread!

There's something about Inktober that makes my drawing skills drop like a sack of rocks :|

edit: I just now realized I made a huge mistake. The right arm should be going backward, not forward >.>

Top Bottom