• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inktober 2017 |OT| Digital Artists Welcome

Starting to feel a bit more comfortable now. I didn't like how the first couple turned out, but I guess the point of Inktober is keep drawing and improve!

M9Xf9P5.jpg

I'm curious as to what some of you folks are using to make your lines/whites traditionally? I saw a Pentel Pocket brush pen, a multiliner pen, and watercolors (I looked into a pack of Copic multiliner pens but I don't want to blow 20 bucks on a pack at the moment). I might just stick to posting sketches that I do of people in public but dogs seem to pop into my mind and a self-portrait.

I think it would be fun to see what the other traditional dudes are using, too!
So far, I've been using an HB pencil and kneaded eraser for a light sketch in a Strathmore toned gray sketchbook, and then inking it in with two Copic multiliner pens (.1 & .05) and shading with three gray Copic markers (N0, N2 & N4). Highlights with a Sakura jelly roll pen. I bought a couple brush pens that I haven't used yet.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I'm curious as to what some of you folks are using to make your lines/whites traditionally? I saw a Pentel Pocket brush pen, a multiliner pen, and watercolors (I looked into a pack of Copic multiliner pens but I don't want to blow 20 bucks on a pack at the moment). I might just stick to posting sketches that I do of people in public but dogs seem to pop into my mind and a self-portrait.

My process is very simple. I like to keep it all in the same ish format so hat browsing through my sketchbook is a fun time for people who want to browse

Basic sketchbook, thin paper (thinner than I would like but eh) Design by Finni Chang who is a great artist and a friend

Loose thumbnail sketch, just to work out some kinks. For day 02 I had a clear idea so I didnt need a thumbnail, but I usually plot it here at that small size

I do the thing! Col Erase pencils have been my go to for over a decade. I do most of the work with Microns and then use the brush pen for bigger strokes and fill ins. Some time I'll only use one of these pens,k for a different look.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Going to share my pictures on my next off day. I'm not artist but what the hell

Of course youre an artist, its not like you get the title after reaching some power level.

You make art, youre an artist, congrats. Card is in the mail. Tuesdays is pocker night.

Going to share my pictures on my next off day. I'm not artist but what the hell

Of course youre an artist, its not like you get the title after reaching some power level.

You make art, youre an artist, congrats. Card is in the mail. Tuesdays is pocker night.

You walk through that door, you're an avenger. You pick up a pen/brush, you're an artist.

oh, and remember, on wednesdays, we wear pink

Your use of perspective is everything I aspire for (and don't have yet. ) :p

Truth, be told, that is one of my weaknesses. The fun thing about Inktober is trying out new things! Exaggerating the perspective is something I will try to do more.

Having said that, this next one totally lacks that exaggeration haha!

Day 3: Tonberry from Final Fantasy!

uAuKtFh.png

Blizzard

Banned
I got Manga Studio 5 installed but I'm super crunched for time until this weekend. Maybe I'll do a 20-day month. >_>

Is there another month for sketches / pencil instead of art / ink?

Diamond

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Will try to keep up. Impressive works so far everybody!

Especially a fan of those who are making an Inktober book. I'm fully digital as you can see (even if drawings number 1 and 3 were sketched on paper), so making a whole coherent material book seems like a very difficult thing to do.

exhume said:
Jaloux Saboteur said:

Awesome coloring and style guys. And on paper so bonus points!

Raging Spaniard

1qkWALF.jpg

Third day !

Yes, I am doing a zelda fancomic sue me =P

If I was tight with the people that could sue you, I would probably not post on GAF :p

Its looking great! Good job on your panel variety. If you ever get stuck on choosing an angle, this is the cheat sheet Ive always used :)

I got bogged down with freelance today, I'll be done in like another hour so maybe I'll be able to get an inktober piece in

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm doing this one my Instagram but I didn't know there were prompts! Shit... Think it's okay that I'm not following them?
Prompts are just suggestions, there are no rules that you have to follow them at all. They're just suggestions in case people have trouble thinking of new things to draw every day (which can be the case). Draw whatever you feel like!

Blizzard

Banned
If I was tight with the people that could sue you, I would probably not post on GAF :p

Its looking great! Good job on your panel variety. If you ever get stuck on choosing an angle, this is the cheat sheet Ive always used :)

I got bogged down with freelance today, I'll be done in like another hour so maybe I'll be able to get an inktober piece in
That cheat sheet is really neat. Thank you for sharing.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I always love ink, so noticing this hashtag floating around on Twitter, I figured I'd give it a shot. Missed out on the first day, but will try to catch up daily with the rest!

First one, Digital, just... something?

Second, Gadget of Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers! (Played SNES Classic and then C&DRR on the Disney afternoon Collection today, soo...) Good ole Pen and Paper, a new Pigma Brush Pen, and years old Shades of Grey pens:

Day 6. Tekkaman Blade w/Gel Pen color accents! This turned out a lot different than I initially conceptualized.

LegendX48

Wanted to try something more fun but was feeling kinda down.

How are y'all getting your inks to look so lively? My stuff always comes out either messy or dull.

edit: and I just now noticed her hand is super tiny and her legs are a bit too short. Dang it!

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Fantastic work by everyone wow. I haven't had the time to ink mine yet, but I've penciled in my sketches. Hopefully I'll have the time tomorrow.

AdanVC

I coiuld literally quote every single draw and comment on it because they all excellent! Keep up the inkin', everyone!

Here's the one for today, I need to keep up to not get behind on the days but oh well. Some unknown lady. Ink on paper

Blizzard

Banned
Thanks for making the thread! I also used it as an excuse to install the latest version of Manga Studio 5 (Clip Studio Paint Pro) and browse the instructions, as well as the Art Rage 5. At least for now I'm using CSPP and not resizing the art. I'm also using an ancient cheap Monoprice tablet.

I'll start by quickly catching up on the first few days of October. For personal background, I did some drawing books with lessons on perspective and stuff as a kid. I'm aware of some basic principles. I've messed around with pencils and art programs. In general however, I don't know how to draw, ink, or paint.

Personal goals:
  • Use the month to force myself to do regular drawings.
  • See if I improve over time.
  • Use a rough time limit on each drawing so I do not struggle with finding time.

If ultra beginner drawings bother anyone, please let me know and I will put them in spoiler tags so they only show up on being clicked.

Entry for 10/01/2017, a human head. 10 minutes.

Just want to say I love all the art so far. Everyone’s doing great! This is my first Inktober ever and I’m so excited to continue and keep seeing awesome stuff from everyone! It’s a ton of fun challenging myself to draw each day with something new.

Blizzard

Banned
Entry for 10/04/2017, a real chair, made by looking at a real chair, not a photograph, clone, or simulacrum of a chair. 10 minutes.

It's weird to me that this was the toughest one, or maybe I tried to be too detailed and then had to race to finish. I'm also trying not to erase at the moment, only draw more ink.

Jintor

I coiuld literally quote every single draw and comment on it because they all excellent! Keep up the inkin', everyone!

Here's the one for today, I need to keep up to not get behind on the days but oh well. Some unknown lady. Ink on paper

yo dude i love the currrrrves on this. you can see on my stuff i just can't get these damn flowy lines out digitally. I can kinda do it IRL but my digital stuff just doesn't work that way :(

Blizzard

Banned
peeps pls quote your images so they don't blast my screen sideways thanks
Sorry, I fixed all my images. It's a pity that you can't quote quoted images easily but not a big deal.

Also, I just realized I used the "pencil" tool instead of "pen" in all 4 of my drawings. I hope you'll all forgive me and accept them anyway. I'll try to make sure to use the "pen" for the rest. :p

Top Bottom