• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inline Skating - Yes, people still do it

fart town usa

Gold Member
Saw that there was an old thread from 2017 about inline skating but it's since been locked. Wanted to create something for people who still skate or did it when they were younger and no longer follow it.

Inline Skating (rollerblading) saw somewhat of a small resurgence in 2020 due to covid. I myself got back into it in 2018 and was surprised to see how the sport has progressed.

Gone are the days of baggy pants, whether it be sweatpants, jncos, shants, etc. Inline Skating is much more refined now and the current style has really taken things to a smooth/technical level.

1990s
iu

Current:
iu

A quick primer for those who haven't been paying attention since the 90s.

K2 no longer makes skates.
Roces still does, as does Rollerblade and USD.

Jon Julio (above) started THEM skates a few years back. Completely skater owned and they're doing great things for the skating community.

A big thing with modern skating is that all kinds of skates and skating styles are welcome and explored. Lots of people are riding big wheels (Wizard frames) and it's truly remarkable what people are capable of doing on them.

Mushroom Blading are 2 friends from Canada who have been at the forefront of introducing new concepts and styles. Not only is their skating impressive, it's hilarious. I guarantee you've never seen anything like it.

Jon Bolino, one of the best in the industry, left for a few years but has recently returned.

I hope this thread catches some attention from current and former skaters. Inline skating is incredibly underground, the best in the world get tens of thousands of views. The companies are small, product is limited, the corporate world doesn't give a shit, most people aren't aware of it, but it's some of the coolest/passionate stuff around.

Here's a good example of someone who is just mind blowing and entertaining as hell and hardly anyone knows his name.

Anyone else skate or used to skate?

Arkam

Aggressive Inline skating was the jam in the mid 90's. Especially in the Bay Area! Had so many great skates, but will always love my K2's. First the Fatties and then King 55's. Rolled antirocker with some fat plastic Hex grind plates.

Look how sexy these bitches were!
iu

Was sad to see the sport decline so much at the turn of the century.

Last edited:

G-Bus

Banned
Skateboarded a ton in the mid/late nineties and one of my brothers took to skating. Used his skates a few times. It was fun. Could do some basic grinds and just rip around the park.

Haven't seen any signs around here that it's making a come back. Sure are a lot of scooters though.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Aggressive Inline skating was the jam in the mid 90's. Especially in the Bay Area! Had so many great skates, but will always love my K2's. First the Fatties and then King 55's. Rolled antirocker with some fat plastic Hex grind plates.

Look how sexy these bitches were!
iu

Was sad to see the sport decline so much at the turn of the century.
Are those the King 55's? I always forget the name. My buddy had a pair and I loved them the few times I skated in them. I remember them being super comfy and light.

edit- saw you mentioned the name up above.

Were you around the Bay area back then? Ever catch Pat Lennen or his crew at all?

Pat Lennen - 4x4-Leading the blind - YouTube

Last edited:

Arkam

Are those the King 55's? I always forget the name. My buddy had a pair and I loved them the few times I skated in them. I remember them being super comfy and light.

Yup that’s them. It’s the same softboot design for the Fatties and Backyard Bobs, just with all the bells and whistles. I actually swapped out the K2 “shoe tongue” for an Etnies pair. Was hella tight! (Sorry got nostalgic)

I never really considered them light (though some hard boot skates were crazy heavy.... Lookin at you Oxygen). But damned if they were not super comfortable and incredibly durable.

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

That's cool man, but have you ever tried SOAP shoes? You can walk up to any rail, any time, and fucking grind.

d8hi8k8-544fce37-1f72-4904-91d4-6b1e9ffb0b26.gif

BogusBruisedDunnart-max-1mb.gif

Some clips of me. I don't do anything crazy, just casual. I turn 38 this year, falls hurt way longer now...

Got back into it 4 years ago after a 20 year hiatus.. Stopped blading around 1997. We were using grind plates and CDS detriot on Lightning TRS when I quit.

Hawaii has a really cool blade crew and meetup every Sunday for sessions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom