• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Innelec Multimedia expect the PS4K to release this year

Saw this on a friend's blog (who is also a freelance journalist).

Innelec Multimedia, a major multimedia distributor working for Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony (and a LOT more) in France has confirmed the release of the « PS4 Neo 4K » in its latest press release regarding their financial results for the fiscal year. They are stipulating the following, translated from french :

"The fiscal forecast for 2016/2017 should be pushed by the videogame industry, during the first semester, with the arrival of the PS4 Neo 4K, an evolution of Sony’s PS4 console with new features and the release in October 2016 of the virtual reality handset the Sony VR."

Which puts the release of the PlayStation 4K between the months of April (well, June at this point) and September, or early October given the nature of their activities.

In his article, he also mentions that The Last Guardian will release in October (according to a trustworthy source).

Source: http://www.otaxou.fr/blog/actualite/ps4-neo-4k-existe-sortira-entre-juin-octobre-2016.html

I'm still throwing the Neo release ballpark between end of September & start of October judging from the Neo mode inclusion requirement.

Falcs

Banned
Yes please! Final Fantasy 15 was going to be when I finally get a PS4 and jump into the current gen, until I heard about the Neo. It'd be great to not have to wait too long after the game comes out to get it.

Releasing The Last Guardian in October? Trico gonna have CoD, Battlefield and all those other big-hitters running for the hills.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I mean, I really hope it does.

Ready for a horsepower upgrade now.

Also, I need a UHD Bluray player.

Wollan

I wonder if Naughty Dog are able to bring Uncharted 4 SP to 60fps without dropping any effects. The world and artistry is super detailed with jungles having thousands of moving leafs and props in view, huge draw-distance etc.

For the PS4K: If it includes a 4K BD player then I think it can be a perfect storm combined with 14nm Polaris chipset. Waiting an extra year will not bring anything near an equivalent high jump.

DerZuhälter;203484489 said:
Man they need to move fast, because all this talk can't be good for PS4 base sales numbers.

You mean all this talk that the mainstream console audience has no idea/doesn't care about? PS4 sales are fine.

ash_ag

I really hope so. I meant to buy a PS4 around FFXV's launch, but Neo has been giving me second thoughts. That would make things much, much easier.

rauelius

"Surprise" E3 unveiling with Sony telling all those watching they could buy it now. Initially the game press will scoff, stating this is basically what doomed the Saturn, but to their surprise the initial Shipment of PS4ks gets sold out in hours.

I'd be surprised if it doesn't launch this year,and if it does like expected,Sony will clean up at Christmas...unless MS pulls out a surprise at E3

You mean all this talk that the mainstream console audience has no idea/doesn't care about? PS4 sales are fine.
A lot of people undersell the mainstream audience. I get asked about the "New PS4" daily at work (GameStop). Most adults can adequately browse the internet and kids watch a lot of YouTube. While we find out about alot this stuff first browsing enthusiasts sites like NeoGAF, the big news gets out to larger, more public sites eventually.

A lot of people undersell the mainstream audience. I get asked about the "New PS4" daily at work (GameStop). Most adults can adequately browse the internet and kids watch a lot of YouTube. While we find out about alot this stuff first browsing enthusiasts sites like NeoGAF, the big news gets out to larger, more public sites eventually.

Just as lots of people oversell it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DerZuhälter;203484489 said:
Man they need to move fast, because all this talk can't be good for PS4 base sales numbers.

All they have to do is announce the (likely premium) price of the new model, price cut the current model simultaneously, and that should keep things chugging along in the interim. That way they could announce the thing a fair bit ahead of its release too (for preorder purposes) with less impact on current sales, as it becomes apparent to the market that this isn't a straight replacement and not even necessarily attractive to the wider market (initially).

AmyS

If PS4K launches this year....

198qj0pvzn5wqgif.gif

When it was first announced, I was like "ehhh". Now I'm excited to buy it. I figure I could sell my ps4 for $150 or so and only pay $250 or $350 or whatever for it. Worth it.

That's my plan as well. It would be nice to have a 4k blu-ray player to take advantage of my tv and I'll probably sell my pS4 to one of my friends or something.
UHD Capable is much more than a blu-ray player. If it has a UHD Blu-ray player then it has:

1) HTML5 browser with HTML5 <video> MSE EME and W3C WebTV extensions
2) HEVC profile 10 multi-view plus Depthmap
3) If it can support VR goggles then it has the hardware to support UHD Blu-ray Digital bridge
4) It can support ATSC 3.0
5) If it has embedded Playready DRM and WMDRM which the PS4 intellectual notice mentions, it can support Vidipath
6) As UHD capable it must have a Trusted boot and Trusted Execution Environment with HDMI 2 and HDCP2 in the TEE mapped to the HDMI port or used in the TEE for Miracast and HDMI 2 multi-view (HDMI 2 over LAN)

Then the features HDMI 2 can support like two separate views with their own audio and in a leaked document, NEO supporting 4 views with their own audio (speculation) out of the controller.

If it's going to support Vidipath (PS3) then it has minimum Playready porting kit 2.5 embedded and WMDRM and 1) above

Quasar

4) It can support ATSC 3.0

Wouldn't you need a tuner and/or some kind of interface for an aerial? I'd think ATSC support would be easier just with an external addon, like the PS3 saw with PlayTV.

And why would Sony do that when they want to push PlaystationVue?

All they have to do is announce the (likely premium) price of the new model, price cut the current model simultaneously, and that should keep things chugging along in the interim. That way they could announce the thing a fair bit ahead of its release too (for preorder purposes) with less impact on current sales, as it becomes apparent to the market that this isn't a straight replacement and not even necessarily attractive to the wider market (initially).
In my mind the big question is; will there be two PS4 models going forward or does NEO become the PS4 only model. This question, I think, impacts launch date and price. If NEO's APU can be made for the same price with the same yields why have a less powerful PS4 at the same price?

My best guess is that NEO becomes the PS4 and the 28nm PS4 is discontinued. For those of you who assume the Launch and the 2015 PS4 (both 28nm with the 2015 on the GF node) can't support UHD Blu-ray then it should be a lock that NEO becomes the PS4.

For those who have been reading my posts that the launch PS4 is officially UHD Capable and will be firmware updated in 2016 to support UHD including blu-ray (my supported speculation based on BDA Licence and Mount Fuji differences between book 8 and 9) it's not as definite...it truly depends on price and yield.

NEO's APU speculated to be based on Polaris 10 dGPU which has a TDP of 130 watts and speculated Retail price under $299. Remove the GDDR5, ARM IP, support chips including DP 1.3/HDMI 2 as well as the multiple power regulators etc. and wholesale it may be slightly more expensive than the 28nm PS4 but not enough to require two PS4s going forward.

If NEO replaces the 28nm PS4 then AMD should have been making NEO APUs for this holiday season and release date should be tied to inventory levels of the 28nm PS4. If low enough we might see NEO early, if too high then late this year or early next year or a premium this year for NEO with both selling this holiday.

Wouldn't you need a tuner and/or some kind of interface for an aerial? I'd think ATSC support would be easier just with an external addon, like the PS3 saw with PlayTV.

And why would Sony do that when they want to push PlaystationVue?
Plans being discussed are Vidipath ATSC 1 &3 network tuners selling early 2017 which will also be needed for all the 4K TVs sold until they have ATSC 3 tuners and besides the PS4 and XB1, all the 4K game consoles and STBs.

If you are on Cable TV you use a Vidipath Cable DVR which includes tuners, if on Antenna a Vidpath Antenna TV tuner. Playstation Vue provides select premium channels you won't get on Antenna TV, think about it....it's assumed that with ATSC 3.0 you will still have an internet connection.

Sony has Get TV on Antenna TV and is part of one of the two TV conglomerates pushing ATSC 3 adoption.

Top Bottom