• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insane take: Sony should partner with disney, like how EA partnered with them for star wars.

kingfey

Banned
This is much better partnership for Disney and Sony.
Disney gets a gaming studio, plus Spiderman for their movies, and tv shows.
Sony gets most of Disney IPs. This includes Star wars, marvel, and other Disney ips.

What does Sony gets from this deal?
They will get Insomniac like studios. Sony can allow other small devs to make Disney IPs exclusively to their consoles. In the process, they buy the talented studios.

3 to 6 years in to the deal, and Sony would be able to buy 6 to 7 good studios, at a peanut price. While also getting good values from those IPs.

This is crazy insane take. But this is much better for Sony, than to spend $20b buying publishers.

Remember, big publishers don't just cost $20b, and be done with them. You are responsible for them. From financial aspects. Any loss they make, would be your loss. If Sony buys EA, they will incur EA operating cost. Same for ubisoft, take2, square, and other publishers. These publishers also depend on other consoles. MS can eat those cost, and they have gamepass to finance some of those cost. Sony can't.

So ideally, Disney is the best thing they can partner with. Maybe Sony can let Disney buy them.

What do you guys think of this take? Would it be beneficial for Sony, or is this is just a pipe dream?

Last edited:
My take is that they are going to buy EA together.

Sony will buy EA with Disney. Disney will have a 40% stake. They don’t want to be responsible for publishing, but I don‘t think they don’t want to be completely bamboozled out of the pie. Gaming isn‘t a meaningful business for Disney, they prefer quantity licensing.

But Disney seems to entrust Sony with their franchises. I see Spiderman and MLB The Show ported into EA, upon request from Disney. Basically making EA a sports and Disney game studio run by Sony. EA transferring useless non-Disney franchises into Playstation studios.

Disney and Sony are being heavily pressured by investors with make a M&A move. So this is what I see happening.

Apple might also make a move, but they would just take a big stake into Sony or buy them out right.. then buy TakeTwo or EA.

Last edited:

coffinbirth

images

kingfey

Banned
That casual drop of $70b broke us all. January was supposed to be this shit month of gaming.
Now, we have no idea what will happen in the remaing months.

I will believe my Disney+Sony fantasy for now. It's impossible. But it's only one that can keep me sane for future purchases this year. I don't want to get a heart attack from EA, take 2, or ubisoft purchase.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
Sony is more than just PlayStation and the movie deals were a mess. If anything, Sony partners with Warner brothers. If you look at the movie industry, Disney owns almost everything!

CamHostage

I'm not sure if it'll ever hapen, but it would be nice if somebody partnered with Disney for character and brand titles. (If anybody, it seems like it'd be Nintendo, but I don't think Nintendo wants to depend upon somebody else's brands right now, and they've done partnerships with Disney in the past for okay-but-not-effect, most recently Disney Magical World.) Somehow, the brand isn't wildly lucrative in video games, and kind of everybody in the biz has tried a game or two before giving up on Disney. So, I like your thinking, and Disney is investing in its core characters again thanks to Disney+ (there's the new Rescue Rangers, Mickey Mouse got a makeover, Ducktales came back a bit ago, who knows what'll come next,) so maybe somebody will make a deal like that, but unfortunately I don't think Disney is the way to win the game.

yurinka

Not needed.

Sony already has a shit ton of IPs, in fact doesn't have enough people to milk them all. If from time to time they want to use a Disney IP, they simply get it as happened with Spider-Man, Wolverine or Star Wars KOTOR remake.

Disney licenses their stuff to a shit ton of game studios, everyone welcomes a Star Wars or Marvel IP.

Just a random thought. If Sony buys SE then they get two of Disney's big gaming licenses in Guardians of the Galaxy and the Avengers.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Fuck disney and fuck anything Star Wars. I am so sick of star wars... anything start wars.
Maybe only KOTOR will be fine but only because original had almost nothing to do with star wars

Fare thee well

Neophyte
I used to love Star Wars, a long time ago in a galaxy far away.

Whatever it has become is a monster and I look out into the world, desperately, for the creative fires that were bold enough to make it for the first time.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
This is much better partnership for Disney and Sony.
Disney gets a gaming studio, plus Spiderman for their movies, and tv shows.
Sony gets most of Disney IPs. This includes Star wars, marvel, and other Disney ips.

What does Sony gets from this deal?
They will get Insomniac like studios. Sony can allow other small devs to make Disney IPs exclusively to their consoles. In the process, they buy the talented studios.

3 to 6 years in to the deal, and Sony would be able to buy 6 to 7 good studios, at a peanut price. While also getting good values from those IPs.

This is crazy insane take. But this is much better for Sony, than to spend $20b buying publishers.

Remember, big publishers don't just cost $20b, and be done with them. You are responsible for them. From financial aspects. Any loss they make, would be your loss. If Sony buys EA, they will incur EA operating cost. Same for ubisoft, take2, square, and other publishers. These publishers also depend on other consoles. MS can eat those cost, and they have gamepass to finance some of those cost. Sony can't.

So ideally, Disney is the best thing they can partner with. Maybe Sony can let Disney buy them.

What do you guys think of this take? Would it be beneficial for Sony, or is this is just a pipe dream?

Sony already does some VFX for Disney movies and they're in good relationship. Possible.

GymWolf

Jesus no, i dont want them to be even more woke.

I take my aloy redheaded, please and thank you.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
The sad desperation of dumb dumb fanboys is real. They are partly responsible for what's happening.
Not really.
Gaming become too big, and money making machines. It was matter of time, before big boys join the party.

This year, might be that time. Activision for MS, and bungie for Sony. $Billion acquisition.

Big boys will open their wallets now. They will be stupid, to sit down and do nothing.

Top Bottom