• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inside the Ambitious 'Sleeping Dogs' Sequel We'll Never Get to Play [Patrick Klepek]

dex3108

United Front Games has closed, dashing hopes fans would ever see a sequel to cult hit 'Sleeping Dogs'. But for a while, they were working on it. Waypoint has proof.
Canadian-based game developer United Front Games went out of business last month. The studio wasn't widely known over its nine-year history, but it was responsible for Sleeping Dogs, one of the most underrated open world games of the past decade. In a just world, we'd be playing Sleeping Dogs 2. We almost lived in that world, too. Sleeping Dogs 2 was in development, according to two sources I spoke with, and I have the documents to prove it.
Chances are, it was a combination of factors that lead to Square Enix passing on making a proper follow-up to Sleeping Dogs, but all my sources said United Front Games was up for it.
https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/art...well-never-get-to-play?utm_source=wptwitterus

vypek

Gonna read this now. This hurts worse knowing it was in development and never made it out. I hope someone can salvage it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This reads like what I was actually expecting when they announced Triad Wars as a multiplayer enabled Sleeping Dogs follow-up, instead of the 3D Facebook game we got.

Should've focused on that instead of an online MMO that even a child could predict would bomb.
This is the game United Front actually wanted to make. I've added a quote to the OP.

84wTHSn.gif

FelipeMGM

Keplek doing god's work out there at Waypoint

Just started reading but this bit already made me feel bad cuz we are not getting this game

[...]This time, Shen would be joined by a "conflicted, corrupt partner" named Henry Fang[...]

The player would have the ability to arrest any NPC in the world, and influence a branching storyline that swapped between both Shen and Fang. Here's one example of how that might have played out:

"An opening scene consists of Wei and Fang talking together, discussing what the next step of an investigation should be. Deciding to split up and follow different leads, Wei's thread will follow him as he busts heads for information, while Fang plants evidence by breaking into a suspect's house. Depending on the character selected, the audience (and characters) will only see one side of the story until both threads are played. This gives us ample opportunity to explore both characters fully, and gives the player the revelatory experience of discovering both sides of the story."

WHY DO YOU HATE US SQUARE? ANSWER ME!!

pra2veen

Neo Member
Sleeping Dogs is a great game, if you want an open world game that takes itself seriously, has great character development and a beautifully crafted world I highly recommend it. There is some goofy stuff, clearly meant for fun, but it's mostly side missions. It's very grounded and the consequences of the actions of the characters is felt, the world changes as you move through it and that's something a lot of other open world games seem to avoid.

xzeldax3

I pray that SE keeps this game in the back of their mind and hopefully a different studio can take a crack at a sequel. I need more Sleeping Dogs.

He has the documents!!

Hah! I love Klepek but his insistence on that was funny.
My comment from the duplicate thread:

Thanks for the link, it's sure to be a bittersweet read.
Sleeping Dogs has ruined most open world games for me. If I can't play as Wei Shen, then why bother? One of my all time favs next to Vice City.

The only open world game that has good gameplay mechanic whether it be combat on foot or vehicle. Super disappointed but the first game might have a spiritual sequel from a other developer.

Xando

One problem for Sleeping Dogs 2 was that Hitman and Tomb Raider had taken priority at Square Enix, which meant there was less money to budget towards any Sleeping Dogs 2.

Seeing how the last Tomb Raider performed square is probably regretting this right now

How can SE pass on that ? Sounds very interesting from what I've read so far.

DAMN IT!

Says so in the article. Devs were leaving, Hitman and Tomb Raider were the focus on the western front and this was before they turned their money troubles around. This wasn't so much cancelled as never being given the green light.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
God damn this. Sleeping Dogs was fucking amazing and I really really would've loved another proper sequel.

_woLf

Man, the ufg people I talked to at pax said the same thing. They wanted to make sleepy dogs 2 but square enix owned the ip and straight up would not let them. Tried making smash and grab instead since it was self funded. Bummer how that went.

Wtf SE.

Top Bottom