• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inside the secret world of Nintendo

Jocchan said:
Before the BS about this picture spreads further:

34eyp02.png

They're the paths followed by 2nd and 3rd place drivers during the ending cutscene.
Thank you for your attention, and have a good day :)

Did you create that PNG just for that post?

I could have sworn that there was a picture of Super Mario FX floating around the 'net somewhere. I can't find it for the life of me, sorry. :(

Chittagong said:
Ah, I was going to post that, along with this:

ouy15d.jpg

I'm not sure if these logos had anything to do with the SNES's Playstation, but you can kind of see how the Playstation logo is based on the Super Famicom logo.

2ij3ubd.jpg

(Back of the controller: http://i49.tinypic.com/16hwajr.jpg)

The original Playstation controller. I don't know why Sony was making their own controller for it, but it is only a prototype...

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Great idea. I've always been a sucker for interviews, post mortems, that sort of thing. If you got development information, specifically for the NES-N64 days, that'd be tits.

So when I click a picture, why does the page scream past them all to the last one in the set? I see a "set picture speed" option but the page doesn't stay up long enough for me to change it. What's going on?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
faceless007 said:

Haha. He probably had it already, but made it for the exact same reason before. And he will be delighted to see that it is once more at the top of a new page in this thread :lol

So when I click a picture, why does the page scream past them all to the last one in the set? I see a "set picture speed" option but the page doesn't stay up long enough for me to change it. What's going on?

Hm. Sry to hear, but I dont know what might be the cause.

Jme

Not sure the source, I asked elsewhere if anyone had scans or old copies of these Nintendo Pamphlets and someone posted a bunch of stuff (all of it already in this thread) including this one which i didn't see in this thread yet:

2igkj81.png

Since we've been taking this direction in the thread...

Prototype Gamecube controllers:
scaled6pads.jpg

I find it odd how the B button and prong lengths was a last minute change (at E3 2001 I'm sure it was the older design with blue A and green B...can't remember the prong lengths).

Very early prototype DS hardware (it was the Mario and Luigi 2 NOM over at Nintendo.co.jp):
alphads.jpg

If the Wii is 2 Gamecubes duct taped together then I don't know what to describe that DS as.

Starwolf_UK said:
Since we've been taking this direction in the thread...

Prototype Gamecube controllers:
scaled6pads.jpg

I find it odd how the B button and prong lengths was a last minute change (at E3 2001 I'm sure it was the older design with blue A and green B...can't remember the prong lengths).

Very early prototype DS hardware (it was the Mario and Luigi 2 NOM over at Nintendo.co.jp):
alphads.jpg

If the Wii is 2 Gamecubes duct taped together then I don't know what to describe that DS as.
that looks like a SNES controller with two GBs, weird. Cool pic though.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The b button was bean shaped until almost the very end. My GCN was bundled with a third party controller with the B Bean.

I think because of this early GCN pads have a very high chance of getting sticky B buttons as it was hastily changed.

Rich!

Chittagong said:
alphads.jpg

holy crap. I've never seen that before. How did it emerge?

Looks like the touch sensitive GBA SP screen they were working on, with a standard GBA being used as a top screen, with a SNES controller slapped on the front.

I would buy one. :lol

Starwolf_UK said:
alphads.jpg

From what I'm reading, I believe that wasn't a prototype DS at all, just something mocked up by the Mario & Luigi 2 dev team to help them understand the system and start programming it before getting any real documentation or dev kits for the final system. All they knew was it was like a GBA with two vertical screens and four face buttons, so they made their own fake system and started making the game for that. Still neat and all, but not nearly as neat as if it was a true prototype for the system.

Doorman

Dreamwriter said:
From what I'm reading, I believe that wasn't a prototype DS at all, just something mocked up by the Mario & Luigi 2 dev team to help them understand the system and start programming it before getting any real documentation or dev kits for the final system. All they knew was it was like a GBA with two vertical screens and four face buttons, so they made their own fake system and started making the game for that. Still neat and all, but not nearly as neat as if it was a true prototype for the system.
Actually if that's the case, I'm even MORE impressed with AlphaDream. They rigged together their own DS mock-up in order to get a head start on Mario and Luigi 2? That is some damn awesome improvisation on their part.

WillyFive

yencid said:
IS that where the whole two DS/WII taped together comes from?

I think it came from a developer back before the Wii came out that said it was pretty much two GCNS taped together when asked about specs.

Or it could be from E3 2006 Nintendo conference, where it seemed like the games were running on two Gamecubes running simultaneity behind the podium.

Either way, it's a silly phrase.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I really like the black remote all the way on the left of this picture. I'm surprised they didn't go with this rather than the current set-up. It enabled a lot more functionality with all the buttons circling the A button much like Gamecube. It also would have allowed a bigger d-pad as well as make game design easier. It would have made motion an addition to traditional games whereas now it's a requirement and they've pretty much been rejected on Wii.

95okub.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Sorry for answering this late, I forgot about this thread!

MisterHero said:
Oh stop. I appreciate what you're trying to do but I think GAF can handle a little joke.
No, GAF can't. People are seriously clueless, you must have missed the hordes of people genuinely confusing miniturbos with snaking and derailing every goddamn Mario Kart DS thread into discussions about the definition of snaking and whether or not it was deliberately designed since miniturbos were there. Seriously, it was freakin' annoying.

faceless007 said:
I have Photoshop open 100% of the time and tinypic is one of my bookmarks, writing down three words and uploading the pic somewhere took me less time than replying to your post here :p

mehdi_san

Wow this thing is beautiful ! :D :D :D :D

The cover has a nice 3D effect on it with various logos/buttons
2modzcl.jpg

The title is simply Nintendo Co., Ltd. 2010 (as always)
33xwwao.jpg

mehdi_san

I don't think its in the final game, but what a waste because there's nothing more awesome than a CHICKEN SUIT !!! ITS MARIO AS A CHICKEN !!!!!! So awesome... :lol :lol

21kfprd.jpg

Doorman

mehdi_san said:
I don't think its in the final game, but what a waste because there's nothing more awesome than a CHICKEN SUIT !!! ITS MARIO AS A CHICKEN !!!!!! So awesome... :lol :lol

21kfprd.jpg
.....Mother of God. With the toads in there, I'm guessing that the chicken suit was probably a precursor to the Propeller Suit? It makes sense to use that as the flying ability to balance out the penguin's sliding/ice balls.

First we saw Mario dressed as a frog, then a bee, then a chicken. I guess they really don't have much shame when it comes to dressing up the character. :D

Hex

Banned
Every time that I read this thread title I keep picturing the old Super Friends cartoon voice overs
"Meanwhile at the Hall of Doom-"

DarkWish

Woah, if that's the latest pamphlet, then maybe it'll contain some hints to future projects that Nintendo is working on. Either way, I'm loving these pictures. It's always fun to get a better idea of Nintendo's thought process when creating things.

Chittagong

Gold Member
mehdi_san said:

21kfprd.jpg

Are there no limits to the amount of awesome in this thread!?!

I want the Chicken suit in Super Mario Galaxy 2 !
Even if it does nothing... it's just so perfect.

Thanks again mehdi_san for those scans.

Jme

mehdi_san said:

21kfprd.jpg

That's so fucking awesome. So awesome.

Brera

Banned
Why would you do that? said:
I could have sworn that there was a picture of Super Mario FX floating around the 'net somewhere. I can't find it for the life of me, sorry. :(

Ah, I was going to post that, along with this:

ouy15d.jpg

I'm not sure if these logos had anything to do with the SNES's Playstation, but you can kind of see how the Playstation logo is based on the Super Famicom logo.

2ij3ubd.jpg

(Back of the controller: http://i49.tinypic.com/16hwajr.jpg)

The original Playstation controller. I don't know why Sony was making their own controller for it, but it is only a prototype...

You're not imagining it dude! Saw it a few years ago in a similar thread on a UK forum,

Still working on the Iwata Asks compilation, but I hope to have something to post by the weekend - not the complete thing yet, but a taster with a bundle of interviews (the copying, tidying up and formatting takes surprisingly long). Can't wait to see more from these booklets though...

Hmm. Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

But really, very much looking forward to what you're putting together!

Top Bottom