• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inside the secret world of Nintendo

mehdi_san

I am trying to find some time to scan all the pages, as soon as it's done i'll post the links. However, most of the interesting stuff is already posted in the OP (the pictures from 2ch).

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
mehdi_san said:
I am trying to find some time to scan all the pages, as soon as it's done i'll post the links. However, most of the interesting stuff is already posted in the OP (the pictures from 2ch).

<3
Looking forward to it!

Great thread. I look forward to having all the Iwata asks interviews linked, to see if I missed anyway.

::Edit- Wow, so much cool stuff. Chicken mario!

Jme

mehdi_san said:
Wow this thing is beautiful ! :D :D :D :D

The cover has a nice 3D effect on it with various logos/buttons
http://i48.tinypic.com/2modzcl.jpg[.IMG]

The title is simply Nintendo Co., Ltd. 2010 (as always)
[IMG]http://i46.tinypic.com/33xwwao.jpg.IMG][/QUOTE]

So, are you going to get around to showing us the rest of it? Don't get me wrong, Chicken Mario is awesome but I want to see more :lol

mehdi_san

handofg0d said:
So, are you going to get around to showing us the rest of it? Don't get me wrong, Chicken Mario is awesome but I want to see more :lol
I have been so busy with job interviews (not Nintendo), that I couldn't find the time to scan it yet. Im using the scanner at the university so I need to go during lunch break or something. It should be done by Friday ;)
For the thread title, it's actually already the 2nd thread we make, but yeah maybe some mod could add some reference to Mario chicken in the title, it would bring more people :lol

Sagitario

billy.png

Sega does what Nintendon't?

mehdi_san

Scanning of the 2010 Pamphlet is done. I just need to upload it to a dropbox (for high resolution) and tinypic for thumbnails :D

Man I bet the only reason we didn't get Chicken suit Mario is because the spin gesture made more sense with a propeller then a chicken.

Azure J

When I was about six years old, I said that I wanted to make games (re: "work at Nintendo"). Things like this only add more fuel to that fire. :D

Awesome uploads mehdi_san.

AzureJericho said:
When I was about six years old, I said that I wanted to make games (re: "work at Nintendo"). Things like this only add more fuel to that fire. :D

Awesome uploads mehdi_san.
It's never too late.

semiregular said:
There's a new iwata asks for Game & Watch in the Japanese site. I wonder if they would translate this one...

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/interview/game_and_watch/vol1/index.html

Hopefully - looks interesting. The "Collected Iwata Asks" project is rumbling along, but it was pretty much derailed for a good while by the arrival of my daughters. It will be finished though, and posted here or in a new thread when it's done.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Nintendo Development Teams & Iwata Asks Archive

NOAWiki and myself have already archived the Iwata Asks on Wikipedia if anyone is interested. There are a couple of offshoot Wii Channel interviews that should be added at some point.

For those who are interested. This Game & Watch LINK interview, has Iwata interviewing the original R&D1 masters.

Makoto Kanoh - Aka the founder of Team Shikamaru within Nintendo R&D1. Toru Osawa and Yoshio Sakamoto worked under him. And all three collectively formed the creative forces behind Metroid, Kid Icarus, and Detective Club. Makoto Kanoh before all that was one of the original designers alongside Miyamoto. Kanoh worked on most of the Game&Watch games as a graphic designer before leading the original R&D1 designed console and arcade games. Sakamoto may the chief designer now, but originally Kanoh is credited with creating the concept of Metroid.

Masao Yamamoto - The first lead programmer for Nintendo R&D1. Yamamoto was the program director for games such as Donkey Kong and Radarscope. Yamamoto was also the program director of the original Metroid. Yamamoto programmed many of the launch Game Boy and Game&Watch titles.

Takehiro Izushi - Was the third lead engineer of R&D1 in the 70s. He was right behind Gunpei Yokoi and Satoru Okada. When Yokoi left Nintendo, and Okada was put in charge of the hand held hardware team, Izushi took over R&D1 as manager for several years. Izushi was involved in the Beam Gun and NES Zapper amongst several other R&D1 games.

Is this related to the DSi Ware release of the G&W games? If so, there's a decent chance that we might get an official translation!

Edit: Bugger, it's related to the G&W reprint of Ball for the Japanese Club Nintendo Platinum prize, so we'll probably never get a translation (Or a copy of Ball for the US/EU Club Nintendo :( )

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Shikamaru Ninja said:
How exactly do you get Game&Watch Collection DS from Nintendo Club in America anyway??

Redeem 800 "Club Nintendo Coins."

50 points per Wii game (Nintendo published)
10 point bonus for "post play survey" + 10 point bonus for "preregistering intent to buy" before release of game = up to 70 points possible

30 points per DS game (Nintendo published)
10 point bonus for "post play survey" + 10 point bonus for "preregistering intent to buy" before release of game = up to 50 points possible

10 points per WiiWare or VC title

160 points for registering DSi unit (Are DSi XL units worth more?)

Thus, you could get a Game & Watch Collection DS cartridge after spending the following amounts of "real world" money...

$800 - 16 $50 Wii titles
$670 - 13 $50 Wii titles (with post play surveys) + two WiiWare/VC titles
$580 - 11 $50 Wii titles (preregister + postplay surveys) + 1 $30 DS title

I'm stopping now... I just spent 10 minutes about to compile a spreadsheet of all releases and original MSRP to determine the cheapest, historical way to get the game...

ZeldaPower has scans for a book of official Zelda art only released in Japan.

After over 10 years, the official concept art for Ocarina of Time's Ganon is revealed:
1io806.jpg

This one is also new. Very creative! When the owl's face is upside down, he resembles Rauru:
2nvtegn.jpg

I like this one too. The image of Skull Kid wearing the skull mask isn't new, but this is better quality than shown on any website. The image of him without his mask is new, I believe.
26063uq.jpg

Got the 2011 pamphlet
Took some pictures, though I'm sure there's scans of it floating somewhere.

That's pretty much all the pages with artwork, most everything is office photos.

Damn shame there aren't any more art pages in that pamphlet, the tiny bits of some cartoony DKCR artwork I've never seen before looks excellent.

Teknoman

Triton55 said:
Wait... Mario with 3D glasses? Is the last picture Super Mario 3D concept art?
Gotta be. One image has him going down some sort of whirlpool with ice crystals spaced out in a way that would be ideal for 3D effects. Then again, some of it looks Galaxy 2ish.

MYE

Nocturnowl said:
Cloud Mustache Mario is incredible.
Dammit Nintendo why don't you do artbooks?!

Yeah. THIS, is torture
IMG_0790--article_image.jpg

The artwork i saw in the tiny All Stars booklet was amazing.Specially the Galaxy 2 art.
But i WANT MORE dammit!!

Top Bottom