• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inside Unreal: In-depth look at PS5's Lumen in the land Of Nanite demo(only 6.14gb of geometry) and Deep dive into Nanite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Show me? What did he have asset quality set at, show me the frame rate counter, show me him playing it not letting him hit the plaiyout option. As in it's not compiled into a realtime playable demo. PS5 demo was actually being playing input wise with a controller.

SHowing a engine running with precompiled assets in a demo mode, not the same as playing a demo on PS5 with a controller in realtime.

Show me this?
I don't recall anyone saying it was played with a controller. Could be wrong though. Just don't recall.

bitbydeath

@Bo_Hazem @PaintTinJr @muteZX @geordiemp

Where is my apology?

Can't run on PC huh? Or maybe run it on the editor too!
Did anyone really say it wouldn’t run on PC?
Epic said it would, just not at the same fidelity as the PS5 because the engine has been built with PS5’s fast IO speeds in mind.
To that end, Unreal Engine 5 is being "optimized for next-generation storage." The PlayStation 5 storage tech is "god-tier," says Sweeney, while PCs have some catching up to do. That said, "on a high-end PC with an SSD," and especially with an NVMe SSD, we should get "awesome performance" from Unreal Engine 5 games. (With a good GPU and CPU too, of course.)

That doesn't mean that old HDDs will be unable to handle UE5 games and their billion-polygon "film quality" assets. The idea behind UE5 is to let developers import the highest quality assets they have, and then automatically scale everything to fit the hardware being used, all the way down to phones.

The recent demo attests to this as the textures are seen running it at 4K on PC while PS5 had those textures running at 8K.

Last edited:
Epic said it would, just not at the same fidelity as the PS5 because the engine has been built with PS5’s fast IO speeds in mind.

The recent demo attests to this as the textures are now running at 4K instead of 8K.
This is the same demo ps5 ran. So 8k assets and all, within the editor. And yes people said it wasn't possible to run this demo on PC. They were saying that in last year's thread, the thread VFXVeteran VFXVeteran made, and the one with this year's demo. I'm pretty sure in other threads as well like the coalition one, etc.

We all knew that was bs though. And now it's time for people to enjoy the extra salt with a side of crow.

Unknown?

You clearly have no idea what you talking about. Performance wise...nothing is heavy in editor since no game mechanics are running. See that "play" button on the top bar? That when you equally can start the demo and all kinds of mechanics will be enabled, like physics, sound, animation, destruction, lighting etc etc

Again run the UE5 demo they released on your pc and you will see that there is a huge difference between editor free fly/camera control and gameplay.

Did you ever run a future mark demo? Even there you have demos where you have free camera control, where the performance is many times higher than when you run the benchmark itself and all the mechanics are in action.
Don't bother, he's putting on a show. Deep down this guy is in love with consoles. He just is still in his closet.

MonarchJT

Banned

The recent demo attests to this as the textures are now running at 4K instead of 8K.
just shut up.....you spreading fud....there are already ppl.running 4k textures without problem from an hdd.......and at res of 4k 60fps from a 970 Evo.....stop it it becoming embarassing to read some of you trying to defend this i/o pure PR nonsese

Last edited:
What games runs better on console than on PC though? Examples? Not trying to war, but I'd honestly love to know what games I'm missing on performance?

Pc runs all current games better than consoles. If there is a UE5 title that is 120GB that needs fast streaming next gen consoles will run those better because of the decompression hardware that NVIO is working to match

bitbydeath

This is the same demo ps5 ran. So 8k assets and all, within the editor. And yes people said it wasn't possible to run this demo on PC. They were saying that in last year's thread, the thread VFXVeteran VFXVeteran made, and the one with this year's demo. I'm pretty sure in other threads as well like the coalition one, etc.

We all knew that was bs though. And now it's time for people to enjoy the extra salt with a side of crow.
The assets were 8K on PS5 only.
The recent demo had 4k assets on PC.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
It can be less taxing because you dont have a alot of final VFX's, post processing turned on for the most part. Your looking at raw material/assets with what ever lighting engine/source thats baked into it. Some demo's/games will rip that out and go with their own which can make it harder or less for the PC to handle.
Thats all im saying. It's not 1:1 and they are showing you editor mode not a demo which yes has more finalized things going on that once is turned on you can only change in editor.

Until they literally say : hey " here's the PS5 demo running in realtime being played by us running on PC" It's not 1:1.
Editor mode a lot of the time is not as taxing as finalized game code for play out because like I iterated some of the things seen in final gamecode are not being run in realtime. As in player controlled camera, editor mod free camera is different, in a demo the game is being rendered by what ever they have setup for player camera. SO as the player turns game is being rendered in realtime with all effects and everything on. WHen in editor mode, it's a free camera that everything is just there.

I use to do mods un unreal a long time ago, I use to use Unity, and had same issues with Crytek. Have dabbled in Unreal 4 but havn't touched anything for a while.

Im not really going to continue this much.
This will effectively be my last post regarding this topic.

In editor with everything turned on, it WILL be more taxing than the compiled game at the same settings.
Yes you can turn things off in editor, but in like for like, because you would need like for like to see what your game actually looks like....the editor version is more taxing.
You would need to see what the final game looks like but would still need to have the engine base overhead running at the same time....its the reason Dev Systems almost always have way way higher specs than what you would actually need to run the game.
It is possible to say use editor mode at 720p, with lower LODs, lower textures, lower resolution lighting etc etc throughout and then compile the game at full wormage, but its not really productive to do that because you are effectively compiling blind.....but in a like for like run, where all settings are equal....the editor running the game will beat the system up more than the fully compiled game would.

2 questions

Why does PC need NV IO and DS if that is all that matters? How will PC handle UE5 more gracefully than XSX and PS5 if the whole game can't be loaded into RAM?

Because technology never stands still....we must always keep moving forward.
Current PCs already have CPUs and SSDs that can load/decompress data at the same rate as the XSX....its up to devs to actually utilize them. And then theres always the caveat of will enough PCs be able to give up cores to do this decompression in realtime?
DirectStorage and RTX IO are just advancements on said technology.
RTX IO has a throughput multiple times that of the PS5 even if PCs dont have dedicated decompression chips.....PCs will literally use a CPU core to do that decompression....again its up to the devs to implement that.
If a dev wanted during a loading section they could give up 3 cores to decompress and load data superfast without even needing RTXIO.
But again how many PCs can give up 3 cores even if only for a second when the current most popular core count is 4 with 6 and 8 rather slowly catching up.

But with RTXIO only half a core would be used to read at absolutely ridiculous speeds.
Its all up to devs...Sony was just clever by putting dedicated hardware to do that job.
Respect for their forethought but dont think its something that current PCs simply cant do, its more something that devs look at the current PC landscape and think well not many people will actually be able to give up the processing power.
Once RTX IO hits half a core for blistering speed.....well skies the limit.

bitbydeath

Did you even watch the video? We're discussing the ps5 demo, running on PC. Not the demo from last week or whatever. We're talking about last year's demo with the 8k assets, running within the editor, on PC. That video. Watch it.
Yes 4K assets on PC.
The video only confirms it runs on PC because there were people saying it wouldn’t.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Not on yours for sure
718782.jpg

Your Avatar was perfect for that post.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
just shut up.....you spreading fud....there are already ppl.running 4k textures without problem from an hdd.......and at res of 4k 60fps from a 970 Evo.....stop it it becoming embarassing to read some of you trying to defend this i/o pure PR nonsese

Honestly, mate. Take your win and don't get stressed. It's not worth it. These are epic engineers who literally start the video saying "some people have said this would only run on a PS5, that is not the case"

You got the dub! :)

VFXVeteran

Banned
I'm not even surprised. I knew all along that the PS5 wasn't anywhere near it's maximum throughput on that first demo. Also, you had to be able to run it in the editor mode on PC in order to even compile out to PS5. And PS5 is just a devkit and NOT a full blown PC where you can run applications straight from it's OS.

I hope we can now put to bed all of this nonsense that somehow the SSD->VRAM will be a bottleneck for any other platform. I'm just sad that people had to hear it from the actual developer instead of believing in other developers (hint hint) that have been in the industry and knows about workflows and limitations of hardware. Oh well..maybe next time.

I hope you people can apply this revelation to the other games that people think won't run on a PC/XSX - mainly R&C and the FUD about Demon Souls doing the same thing (which it's not and I've already proven that in my review of the game).

One other thing - I hope we can throw away the famous FUD about games being designed first for consoles and then ported *UP* to PC. It's complete and utter nonsense. All these games are made on PC first and then ported *DOWN* to the consoles.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Did you even watch the video? We're discussing the ps5 demo, running on PC. Not the demo from last week or whatever. We're talking about last year's demo with the 8k assets, running within the editor, on PC. That video. Watch it.

Correct...within the editor, is something else then running everything enabled with all mechanics.

Just look at how the performance drops when he starts playing the demo:

This link:

Scroll down to the section called Data Size, it’s not downgraded, just scaling down as was said in the first quote I posted.
This is nothing to do with the video or demo ran. It's running the ps5 demo, I suggest you actually watch the video and keep up with the discussion of this thread. 8k assets, running the ps5 demo, without having to stream or load anything. It's pretty impressive, and it sucks that you haven't even watched it yet, but decided to respond to a thread on which you have no clue about.

bitbydeath

This is nothing to do with the video or demo ran. It's running the ps5 demo, I suggest you actually watch the video and keep up with the discussion of this thread. 8k assets, running the ps5 demo, without having to stream or load anything. It's pretty impressive, and it sucks that you haven't even watched it yet, but decided to respond to a thread on which you have no clue about.
I did watch it. I didn’t see anywhere that it stated directly it had 8K textures or ran at the same settings? Can you point out the timestamp if I missed it?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I did watch it. I didn’t see anywhere that it stated directly it had 8K textures or ran at the same settings? Can you point out the timestamp if I missed it?

Within the first 2 minutes you have a flat out statement that there is a "misconception" about this demo and that it runs fine in engine, in the editor on a PC. These are the actual Devs saying this. The Demo would run on a PC, it would run on an Xbox, it would run on a PS5. It is not using the special Cerny sauce. Tim got paid and took us all for a ride.

bitbydeath

Within the first 2 minutes you have a flat out statement that there is a "misconception" about this demo and that it runs fine in engine, in the editor on a PC. These are the actual Devs saying this. The Demo would run on a PC, it would run on an Xbox, it would run on a PS5. It is not using the special Cerny sauce. Tim got paid and took us all for a ride.
They state the misconception as not running at all. That’s very different to running it at lower settings like the recent demo showed.

They state the misconception as not running at all. That’s very different to running it at lower settings like the recent demo showed.
It's running the ps5 demo. Nothing in it changed. No downgrade of textures from 8k to 4k like you stated. Only difference is, it's running in a much more resource heavy state, being that it's running the editor on top. And there were 2 bikes added to the demo. That's literally the only difference.

bitbydeath

It's running the ps5 demo. Nothing in it changed. No downgrade of textures from 8k to 4k like you stated. Only difference is, it's running in a much more resource heavy state, being that it's running the editor on top. And there were 2 bikes added to the demo. That's literally the only difference.
Was that stated though or are you just expecting that to be the case despite the newer demo running with 4K textures?

Was that stated though or are you just expecting that to be the case despite the newer demo running with 4K textures?
They said they are running the ps5 demo. I don't knows why you are implying things were downgraded. Why don't you provide a link to say otherwise. No one else is pushing this "downgraded textures", but you. So link, timestamp, etc?or even visual difference in a picture form would be acceptable. If not, there's no reason to state or even think otherwise.

martino

1080p/1440p and FSR remove probably more detail on ps5 version than on a pc running this demo in native 4k with "only" 4k texture and a little less overall geometry. All this because of higher rendering resolution to create the pixel to see them

Last edited:

bitbydeath

They said they are running the ps5 demo. I don't knows why you are implying things were downgraded. Why don't you provide a link to say otherwise. No one else is pushing this "downgraded textures", but you. So link, timestamp, etc?or even visual difference in a picture form would be acceptable. If not, there's no reason to state or even think otherwise.
I already supplied the link, different demo but same engine. PC running the PS5 demo is like saying the Switch runs Witcher 3. I’m not contesting it doesn’t.

VFXVeteran

Banned
PC will run all of these future games better than next gen consoles when NVIO is released but not today that’s the argument
OK guys. At this point, I would ask the mods to shut you up. It's THAT ridiculous.

Not only did you ignore the author of the technique about this demo and explanations about the hardware and it's limits, you are continuously trying to push an agenda even AFTER the author of the technique tells you otherwise. First it was a demo only made for PS5 because of it's sole piece of SSD->VRAM pipeline and no other hardware could render the demo. Then when the recent demo comes out, it's "well that demo was scaled down to work on PC/XSX". Now it's "well the author doesn't play the entire compiled out demo with FX in the video so he hasn't proven anything".

To the non-Sony warriors, it's not worth arguing page after page after page with these guys' PS5 superiority train. They will spin anything and everything to not admit they were being too fanboyish and needed to come back to earth in 2021.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom