• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inside Unreal: In-depth look at PS5's Lumen in the land Of Nanite demo(only 6.14gb of geometry) and Deep dive into Nanite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lethal01

unknown.png

Hopefully, this lets people worry less about games being 10 terabyte or something.
The models in this demo had more texture maps and denser ones than the more recent demo which was created to be shared and tested.. However the newer demo is less optimized with more overdraw making the nanite rendering portion take longer.

Here is a link to the full stream.

Last edited:
Important details:

"There's been a bunch of misconception that the [Lumen in the land of Nanite Demo] doesn't work anymore or only runs on a PS5" - Epic Games Brian Karis (Creator of Nanite)

Also the entire Nanite data for the Lumen in the the land of nanite PS5 demo was only 6.14 GB.
Lastly Valley of the Ancient demo had more texture data than the PS5 Lumen in the land of nanite demo.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
This is the very definition of what I consider "next gen". Billions of polygons, lot of them casting shadows, with realistic GI. It's something we will eventually see in most of the engines from first party developers, but it's clearly not available now.
When someone say we already have next gen games, please post this video.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I just wish they released this to the public, so we could run it too. But this guy is running a more intensive and updated version of the demo compared to last year.

it's running on a ps5 dev kit running windows 10

Run the demo on your PC they released. There is a difference between running it in the editor and equal gameplay performance wise. This is free view cam and he said that Lumen and Nanite also runs on other platforms and that's true since UE5 runs on everything. It's the demo itself that won't be the same on every platform if you run it.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Run the demo on your PC they released. There is a difference between running it in the editor and equal gameplay performance wise. This is free view cam and he said that Lumen and Nanite also runs on other platforms and that's true since UE5 runs on everything. It's the demo itself that won't be the same on every platform if you run it.

It will run better on PC than on PS5.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Exciting years ahead with these advancements. The industry needs to find cheaper and more efficient ways while continuing to push the visual envelope.

Games can't keep getting more expensive to make.

Run the demo on your PC they released. There is a difference between running it in the editor and equal gameplay. This is free view cam and he said that Lumen and Nanite also runs on other platforms and that's true since UE5 runs on everything. It's the demo itself that won't be the same on every platform if you run it.
The baked demo for this would be easy as hell to run on PC. That's why the marketing deals are so annoying, cause this would have already been released to the public already. But running the demo in the editor, would be much more heavy in performance hits, yet it just chugs along. Can't wait for all the fanboys to spin this somehow. SSD my ass.

Papacheeks

Banned
It will run better on PC than on PS5.

In terms of amount of nanites and rendering, for sure PC will be able to do a lot more. What they show here is Editor mode, which does not have all the final VFX, rendering, ect. Also lets see him literally run in realtime the same demo with the same 8k assets and see at the end where the character is flying to her destination with all the new materials/assets being streamed instantly?

This is editor mode, which is when your building nothing is 100% finialized rendered, and none of the effects for realtime render/playout are applied. WHich add a substancial amount in performance.

No one is saying this cant be run on PC, it's being built on PC's. The disconnect is some of the demo aspects last year were specific in PS5's live demo. Mainly the part at the end that utilizes the SSD AND I/O.

If they can show me that running off a pc in a playable demo like PS5 demo then I think it clears everything up that at the time PC side for specific features they tailored for that PS5 demo are now finalized for other hardware configs.

Allandor

unknown.png

Hopefully, this lets people worry less about games being 10 terabyte or something.
The models in this demo had more texture maps and denser ones than the more recent demo which was created to be shared and tested..

Here is a link to the full stream.

???
I don't think this includes the texture-data etc. And there is still the "little" problem, that this is just one small level. Just think how a big-scale game like CoD, Witcher, ... would scale in size.

assurdum

Banned
Important details:

"There's been a bunch of misconception that the [Lumen in the land of Nanite Demo] doesn't work anymore or only runs on a PS5" - Epic Games Brian Karis (Creator of Nanite)

Also the entire Nanite data for the Lumen in the the land of nanite PS5 demo was only 6.14 GB.
Lastly Valley of the Ancient demo had more texture data than the PS5 Lumen in the land of nanite demo.

It's a multiplat engine. Of course it can't work just for the ps5 hardware.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
The baked demo for this would be easy as hell to run on PC. That's why the marketing deals are so annoying, cause this would have already been released to the public already. But running the demo in the editor, would be much more heavy in performance hits, yet it just chugs along. Can't wait for all the fanboys to spin this somehow. SSD my ass.

You clearly have no idea what you talking about. Performance wise...nothing is heavy in editor since no game mechanics are running. See that "play" button on the top bar? That when you equally can start the demo and all kinds of mechanics will be enabled, like physics, sound, animation, destruction, lighting etc etc

Again run the UE5 demo they released on your pc and you will see that there is a huge difference between editor free fly/camera control and gameplay.

Did you ever run a future mark demo? Even there you have demos where you have free camera control, where the performance is many times higher than when you run the benchmark itself and all the mechanics are in action.

Black_Stride

Can't wait for all the fanboys to spin this some
Like fucking clockwork.

vvvvv
In terms of amount of nanites and rendering, for sure PC will be able to do a lot more. What they show here is Editor mode, which does not have all the final VFX, rendering, ect. Also lets see him literally run in realtime the same demo with the same 8k assets and see at the end where the character is flying to her destination with all the new materials/assets being streamed instantly?

This is editor mode, which is when your building nothing is 100% finialized rendered, and none of the effects for realtime render/playout are applied. WHich add a substancial amount in performance.

No one is saying this cant be run on PC, it's being built on PC's. The disconnect is some of the demo aspects last year were specific in PS5's live demo. Mainly the part at the end that utilizes the SSD AND I/O.

If they can show me that running off a pc in a playable demo like PS5 demo then I think it clears everything up that at the time PC side for specific features they tailored for that PS5 demo are now finalized for other hardware configs.

He flew faster than the demo showed multiple times and yet everything still loaded in.
Hell the entire demo was already loaded into RAM....it only had 6GB of geometry.
The VFX were gamescript triggered but unless you think a PS5 has a better GPU than hell a 3070 then those VFX will again be better on PC?

What exactly is your argument, that him flying in editor is somehow less than the compiled demo flying slower than he was?

You clearly have no idea what you talking about. Performance wise...nothing is heavy in editor since no game mechanics are running. See that "play" button on the top bar? That when you equally can start the demo and all kinds of mechanics will be enabled, like physics, sound, animation, destruction, lighting etc etc

Again run the UE5 demo they released on your pc and you will see that there is a huge difference between editor free fly/camera control and gameplay.

Did you ever run a future mark demo? Even there you have demos where you have free camera control, where the performance is many times higher than when you run the benchmark itself and all the mechanics are in action.
You obviously have no clue what you are talking about. The fact that this is running in the editor, vs baking/cooking the demo into a stand alone, requires much more resources. Please understand this before you respond. Ps5 has to stream areas in which the PC didn't have to.

Essentially you are upset this runs better than what we seen last year. He even manipulated the lighting and what not.

Black_Stride

just, 6.14 GB of geometry data (does not include textures, and other assets). Btw, does he say 16.14 GB in the video, but I guess he just read wrong.

ah ok, I'm probably thinking of texture assets then - makes sense.

Yeah it was just geo.
But he said the textures were higher than geometry but not by much.

So id assume all in the demo is ~16GB

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
You obviously have no clue what you are talking about. The fact that this is running in the editor, vs baking/cooking the demo into a stand alone, requires much more resources. Please understand this before you respond. Ps5 has to stream areas in which the PC didn't have to.

Essentially you are upset this runs better than what we seen last year. He even manipulated the lighting and what not.

You still don't understand it do you? You even completely ignore what i said. And i believe you haven't seen UE5 in realtime yourself so that's kinda clear. But with this you also admit that you have never run anything from an editor yourself.

He is in editor mode, nut running the demo with all gameplay mechanics....Is it really hard to understand are you just fucking stupid?

Last edited:
You still don't understand it do you? You even completely ignore what i said. And i believe you haven't seen UE5 in realtime yourself so that's kinda clear.

He is in editor mode, nut running the demo with all gameplay mechanics....Is it really hard to understand are you just fucking stupid?
You salty little child 😂. The editor requires more resources than it does prebaking the demo smart guy. Anyone who uses or has used unreal, knows this, except you. Have you not seen ram usage running the editor vs baking the demo? Please tell me you have, otherwise you'll make yourself look even dumber.

Ps5 can't run the editor. Hopefully you start to understand these basic concepts.

Last edited:

Larvana

You still don't understand it do you? You even completely ignore what i said. And i believe you haven't seen UE5 in realtime yourself so that's kinda clear.

Sounds like you're mad, dude. Maybe you should calm down a bit. You sound like a PS5 fanboy. :/

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Sounds like you're mad, dude. Maybe you should calm down a bit. You sound like a PS5 fanboy. :/

Maybe you know, this guy trolls almost in every threads and don't want to listen, but only pushing his own nonsense.

DonJuanSchlong DonJuanSchlong Did i every said it was running editor mode on the PS5? You just don't wanna read what i said, you completely ignoring it so i'm not even going to discuss this with you.

Anyone who uses or has used unreal, knows this, except you.

So how do you know i haven't seen this myself running on my own pc, since i already said that in my first post.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

The SSD and I/O nonsense you are talking about is irrelevant.
Because, the whole demo was loaded into RAM.

The scripted VFX portions would buckle a PS5 well before it buckled a PC.
The Niagara parts of the demo had already run their course by the time he had arrived to their sections, because the demo had been running for hours already.

So what exactly is your argument?
Why would/should a PC struggle to run this demo....there is nothing in editor that was off that if turned on would suddenly fuck up the demo.

The Niagara parts of the demo had already run their course by the time he had arrived to their sections, because the demo had been running for hours already.

Why would/should a PC struggle to run this demo....there is nothing in editor that was off that if turned on would suddenly fuck up the demo.
Thank you! People like that guy are obviously clueless if they can't grasp that simple concept. And then wants to act like people don't know what they are talking about, even though it's him who doesn't understand shit to do with this demo or engine.

Last edited:

This part of the Lumen in the land of nanite demo will run more gracefully on next gen consoles PS5/XsX than it will on any PC on the market today, this will be the case until technologies like NV IO are released.

When a whole game can't be loaded into RAM what happens then

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

I never mentioned this portion, so i don't know why you are putting words in my mouth.

Again this was editor mode/building mode without anything rendered and no mechanics loaded which gives you no performance hits.

Again this is editor mode. Just run the released UE5 demo on your pc and come back talking after that.

See my first post. This guys DonJuanSchlong DonJuanSchlong claims that in editor it would be more performance heavy, since that's completely false. No mechanics are running, nothing dynamic, no physics, everything is static...see Papacheeks Papacheeks his comment. We want to see it running with everything enabled in gameplay...see that "play" button i mentioned before?

So your the second person that doesn't know the difference between editor mode and real gameplay mode? Tell me....did he played this demo like we've seen on the PS5? Was it the same with the character running, sound, phyics...again you tell me.

I was pretty clear, but you 2 are really not want to understand the difference.

Papacheeks

Banned
Like fucking clockwork.

vvvvv

He flew faster than the demo showed multiple times and yet everything still loaded in.
Hell the entire demo was already loaded into RAM....it only had 6GB of geometry.
The VFX were gamescript triggered but unless you think a PS5 has a better GPU than hell a 3070 then those VFX will again be better on PC?

What exactly is your argument, that him flying in editor is somehow less than the compiled demo flying slower than he was?

Do you even know wtf editor mode in a engine? Not the same as your looking at all the assets that are not in a final rendered gameplay which VFX, post processing, among other things get added. Also in editor mode your not in playout. Jesus how much a fucking idiot are you?

It;s like you've never booted up a unreal engine mod editor or a game engine?

Editor mode is for editing, as in making changes to raw models, landscapes materials. None of the actual gamecode is applied. Which a lot of things such as animations, AI, specific effects and scripts that do certain actions while in a final running demo.

Which what they showed is literally the engine in editor mode with the same materials/assets used in the PS5 demo.

Jesus fucking literally get on twitter and ask them. Or ask a developer and they will tell you the same thing that editor mode is not the same as final playout/demo. Which all the customizations, animations, scripts you create and have in the game when in build/editor mode is not the same,

This is a raw engine editor, so game scripts, or any customizations are not in there which were part of the PS5 demo hence it was tailored for specific things. Not the same.

Last edited:
I never mentioned this portion, so i don't know why you are putting words in my mouth.

Again this was editor mode/building mode without anything rendered and no mechanics loaded which gives you no performance hits.

Again this is editor mode. Just run the released UE5 demo on your pc and come back talking after that.

See my first post. This guys DonJuanSchlong DonJuanSchlong claims that in editor it would be more performance heavy, since that's completely false. No mechanics are running, nothing dynamic, no physics, everything is static...see Papacheeks Papacheeks his comment. We want to see it running with everything enabled in gameplay...see that "play" button i mentioned before?

So your the second person that doesn't know the difference between editor mode and real gameplay mode? Tell me....did he played this demo like we've seen on the PS5? Was it the same with the character running, sound, phyics...again you tell me.

I was pretty clear, but you 2 are really not want to understand the difference.
The play button is still running in the editor, which it's why I keep mentioning "baking the demo". Running the editor in free view, or the play button, will be much heavier to run than compiling the demo and running it. That's why everyone keeps telling you it's already running the demo.

Look at the requirements for running the engine + demo, vs running a baked demo. Please don't make me repeat this anymore times for you. The ps5 demo was barely "gameplay or interactive", so not sure what you are trying to get at.

ties back with the epic china leak.

i guess the sony marketing nda have expired and epic US can speak more freely.
My thoughts exactly. They are revealing more now than ever. And you can just tell how the guy laughs even he says people thought it can only run on ps5. You can just feel the rainfall of warm flowing tears from some of the posters in here.

Black_Stride

This part of the Lumen in the land of nanite demo will run more gracefully on next gen consoles PS5/XsX than it will on any PC on the market today, this will be the case until technologies like NV IO are released.

When a whole game can't be loaded into RAM what happens then

Lumen in the land of nanite is what he completely loaded into RAM, so that specific demo will run better on a PC.
Valley of the ancient demo specifically shows how Unreal Engine 5 is super efficient at streaming since the data isnt that large a PCIE4 SSD isnt actually needed to load in and out data.
Valley of the Ancient was used to show off how you could use Unreal Engine to make open world games that can stream in millions of polygons.
Test the demo yourself and see.

P.S We already have SSDs that catchup(read as trump) the PS5 SSD.

• PS5 SSD IO — 5,500MB/s reads, 5,500MB/s writes
  • PNY XLR8 CS3140 —7,500MB/s reads, 6,850MB/s writes
  • Adata XPG Gammix S70 —7,400MB/s reads, 6,400MB/s writes
  • Mushkin Gamma — 7,175MB/s reads, 6,800MB/s writes
  • Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus — 7,100MB/s reads, 6000MB/s writes
  • Samsung 980 Pro — 7,000MB/s reads, 5,000MB/s writes
  • WD SN850 Black — 7,000MB/s reads, 5,300MB/s writes

And before you come at me with the whole "compressed speed" thats not relevant right now.

Papacheeks

Banned
Lumen in the land of nanite is what he completely loaded into RAM, so that specific demo will run better on a PC.
Valley of the ancient demo specifically shows how Unreal Engine 5 is super efficient at streaming since the data isnt that large a PCIE4 SSD isnt actually needed to load in and out data.
Valley of the Ancient was used to show off how you could use Unreal Engine to make open world games that can stream in millions of polygons.
Test the demo yourself and see.

And before you come at me with the whole "compressed speed" thats not relevant right now.

The customizations for decompressing the data and compressing it are done by dedicated chips and controller that PC's dont have period.

How come it freezes a few times while going down the flying section ? , I thought they would at least have shown the actual demo playing out like last year.

Black_Stride

Do you even know wtf editor mode in a engine? Not the same as your looking at all the assets that are not in a final rendered gameplay which VFX, post processing, among other things get added. Also in editor mode your not in playout. Jesus how much a fucking idiot are you?

Just so i get this straight and decide whether to continue with this topic/discussion further.

Do you think running the game in the editor is less taxing on the system than the fully compiled game?

Note:
I started game dev/modding in UDK.....moved to Cry Engine 3 because i was tired of baking lights....moved to Unreal Engine 4 cuz Blueprints were a godsend....moved to Offline Rendering because of work(Redshift)....and planning on moving to Unreal Engine 5 because this is magic.

Papacheeks

Banned
How come it freezes a few times while going down the flying section ? , I thought they would at least have shown the actual demo playing out like last year.

They wont they would have to compile and make a demo with controller scripts with the character which has animations/scripts for actions. I want to see that running in realtime being played by someone on a PC.

Direct Storage isn't there, and PC's would 3090 would need to use the memory just to compensate, and using cpu cores for data compression/decompression of assets not as fast as a custom solution that literally is built for just that specific issue.

We just started with V-cache, I would have to believe that will carry over conception wise and used in a different way with chiplet on gpu's coming down the road. once we see that I think it will put pc's closer to the custom I/O that PS5 has.

Just so i get this straight and decide whether to continue with this topic/discussion further.

Do you think running the game in the editor is less taxing on the system than the fully compiled game?

Note:
I started game dev/modding in UDK.....moved to Cry Engine 3 because i was tired of baking lights....moved to Unreal Engine 4 cuz Blueprints were a godsend....moved to Offline Rendering because of work(Redshift)....and planning on moving to Unreal Engine 5 because this is magic.

Depends on what you have compiled, and customizations specific in your project in the engine. Like I don't know what they were using 100% in the PS5 demo. And so far outside of nanites, some of the assets we know those are pretty much the same.
I don't know in terms of the finalized demo what they were using which they configured specific for PS5 which theres an interivew on those changes just for the PS5? is that 1:1 replicated?

I dont know only Epic can answer that.
But editor mode a lot of the finalizations are not in when your finalized and compiled. None of your custom scripts are running you can turn them on one by one or have them all on depending. But there's nothing they are showiing with a controller that this is a demo, just that they are in Editor mode in Unreal 5 that has all of those models/assets from PS5 demo?

It can be less taxing because you dont have a alot of final VFX's, post processing turned on for the most part. Your looking at raw material/assets with what ever lighting engine/source thats baked into it. Some demo's/games will rip that out and go with their own which can make it harder or less for the PC to handle.
Thats all im saying. It's not 1:1 and they are showing you editor mode not a demo which yes has more finalized things going on that once is turned on you can only change in editor.

Until they literally say : hey " here's the PS5 demo running in realtime being played by us running on PC" It's not 1:1.
Editor mode a lot of the time is not as taxing as finalized game code for play out because like I iterated some of the things seen in final gamecode are not being run in realtime. As in player controlled camera, editor mod free camera is different, in a demo the game is being rendered by what ever they have setup for player camera. SO as the player turns game is being rendered in realtime with all effects and everything on. WHen in editor mode, it's a free camera that everything is just there.

I use to do mods un unreal a long time ago, I use to use Unity, and had same issues with Crytek. Have dabbled in Unreal 4 but havn't touched anything for a while.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rea

MonarchJT

Banned

the China guy did on a laptop with a 2080 and a Sammy 970 SSD ...it was running better than on PS5

Papacheeks

Banned
the China guy did on a laptop with a 2080 and a Sammy 970 SSD ...it was running better than on PS5

Show me? What did he have asset quality set at, show me the frame rate counter, show me him playing it not letting him hit the plaiyout option. As in it's not compiled into a realtime playable demo. PS5 demo was actually being playing input wise with a controller.

SHowing a engine running with precompiled assets in a demo mode, not the same as playing a demo on PS5 with a controller in realtime.

Show me this?

2 questions

Why does PC need NV IO and DS if that is all that matters? How will PC handle UE5 more gracefully than XSX and PS5 if the whole game can't be loaded into RAM?

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
Show me? What did he have asset quality set at, show me the frame rate counter, show me him playing it not letting him hit the plaiyout option. As in it's not compiled into a realtime playable demo. PS5 demo was actually being playing input wise with a controller.

SHowing a engine running with precompiled assets in a demo mode, not the same as playing a demo on PS5 with a controller in realtime.

Show me this?
Sony payed to confine the demo on PS5 seem otherwise we would have all the data possible and imaginable. but after these statements do you still have doubts? the ssd and the i / o of the ps5 you guys have just overhyped
For this reason the lie of Sweeney on twitter

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom