• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insider confirms that a Persona 3 remake is in development and second time.

https://gamerant.com/persona-3-remake-development-new-insider-rumor/
A leaker that previously revealed Atlus is working on a remake of Persona 3 reconfirms the game's development. What's next for the Persona franchise has been a mystery since the release of Persona 5 Royal in 2019, as Atlus has lingered on the RPG, bringing it to PC, PS5, Switch, and Xbox consoles in 2022. With that behind it, Atlus seems primed to move onto the next major Persona release. Yet it might not be Persona 6 at all, but rather another opportunity for Persona 3.

One user brought up a longstanding rumor regarding a Persona 3 remake, questioning if it was still happening with Atlus now re-releasing Persona 3 Portable. This prompted a response from insider lolilolailo, who previously leaked the news of Persona coming to Xbox Game Pass in 2022. According to lolilolailo, the Persona 3 remake "is real" still.

A follow-up comment asking why Atlus would re-release Persona 3 Portable if a remake was in development also received an answer. lolilolailo explained, quite simply, "It's Atlus." More specifically, they say an updated Persona 3 Portable release will bring the "whole" Persona saga to new consoles. Atlus can capitalize on the original game, and then on the remake with its Persona 5-like graphics and quality-of-life improvements later.

To be clear, lolilolailo never says that the Persona 3 remake is one of Atlus' planned announcements for 2023. It's entirely possible the remake, if it does exist, will launch much later. That would give the Persona 3 Portable re-launch plenty of time to breathe. Without an official confirmation from Atlus, though, Persona fans will just have to wait and see what Atlus has planned next for the increasingly popular RPG franchise.

Insider news report comes from that place so take with grain of salt. but the person does have a track record so something to note.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Remakes, remasters of remakes, remakes of remasters...

No one wants to take risks anymore. Creativity and a pair of balls have become rare traits in developers nowadays.

Tired Tv Land GIF by TV Land Classic

Ozzie666

I could see them changing the ending, so a certain character remains available. Which would at the same time diminish the game. A full-on modern version of this might actually be great, if done fully.

Rac3r

There's no point in remaking a turn-based RPG unless the gameplay is completely revamped (like FF7), but we all know Atlus loves doing pointless shit and wasting as much time as possible. We've gone from 2 years between the release of P3 and P4, to 7-8 years between releases. Current Atlus is like Rockstar's retarded Japanese cousin.

Kurotri

Fuck.
I love P3 and it's very dear to my heart. And I wouldn't be against it normally but...Persona 5 was like what, 7 years ago?
If they are pouring talent, money, time and all sorts of rescources into making this, then what THE FUCK does this mean for Persona 6??
At this point Persona 6 will releases during the PS6 generation.😐

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I LOVE Persona 3 but I played that game multiple times I dont need another one.
92787-shin-megami-tensei-persona-3-playstation-2-front-cover.jpg
112775-shin-megami-tensei-persona-3-fes-playstation-2-front-cover.jpg
216587-shin-megami-tensei-persona-3-portable-psp-front-cover.jpg

There's no point in remaking a turn-based RPG unless the gameplay is completely revamped (like FF7), but we all know Atlus loves doing pointless shit and wasting as much time as possible.
I LOVED FFVIIR, I played it 3 times by now but I dont want Persona series or SMT change its combat system to action, it combat system is my entire reason got in to SMT series in the first place.

Last edited:
Thank the heavens. I refuse to touch the inferior portable version that lacks many of the best portions of the game, such as navigating the town, city, school etc. I don't even know if the portable version allows you to walk around the house where you live with the other members of the team.

No one wants to take risks anymore. Creativity and a pair of balls have become rare traits in developers nowadays.

You're too upset to realize a few things:

1) The video game industry has been trying to emulate Hollywood for a while now.
2) Hollywood has been doing tons remakes itself and even some movies we deem as older classics are remakes of black and white media from even earlier in time.
3) The video game industry hasn't been around as long as Hollywood, which is why they're still figuring things out, like how lucrative remade properties are.
4) Just like Hollywood, there are going to be studios and creatives dedicated to remaking properties.

You will have to find a way to cope with all of this.

Kind of a bad take.

The industry is much larger now than when Persona 3 came out and Persona is a much larger franchise. The game also doesn't hold up all that well. It makes a lot of sense to deliver it in better condition to a lot of fans who never played it.

Not every game needs to take risks.

Fuck.
I love P3 and it's very dear to my heart. And I wouldn't be against it normally but...Persona 5 was like what, 7 years ago?
If they are pouring talent, money, time and all sorts of rescources into making this, then what THE FUCK does this mean for Persona 6??
At this point Persona 6 will releases during the PS6 generation.😐

A near certainty that P6 is being developed on the Switch/PS4 with a PC port not far behind if not day 1.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member

1) The video game industry has been trying to emulate Hollywood for a while now.
2) Hollywood has been doing tons remakes itself and even some movies we deem as older classics are remakes of black and white media from even earlier in time.
3) The video game industry hasn't been around as long as Hollywood, which is why they're still figuring things out, like how lucrative remade properties are.
4) Just like Hollywood, there are going to be studios and creatives dedicated to remaking properties.

Kojima ruining the gaming industry confirmed!

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
This is welcome and expected as the original is apparently lost, hence why they're remastering P3P instead of the Fes.
I think most developer should do this if they lost the original source code.

TGO

would be cool to have a remake with the best of P3P + FES.

so basically FES + FemC.
Knowing Atlus that probably exactly what they'll do...... unless they milk it and have another release 2 years later to include them😂

Will be interesting to see if they change the Persona summoning for modern audiences 🤔
I can see the articles already.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Knowing Atlus that probably exactly what they'll do...... unless they milk it and have another release 2 years later to include them😂

Will be interesting to see if they change the Persona summoning for modern audiences 🤔
I can see the articles already.
I think it’s clear the Evoker is being changed at least in the West, you don’t want this kind of shitstorm those days.

But otherwise I don’t expect more changes than what Shin Megami Tensei 3 received when it was re-released in 2021: easy difficulty option added, refreshed demon models and the content from the PSP version.

TGO

I think it’s clear the Evoker is being changed at least in the West, you don’t want this kind of shitstorm those days.

But otherwise I don’t expect more changes than what Shin Megami Tensei 3 received when it was re-released in 2021: easy difficulty option added, refreshed demon models and the content from the PSP version.
Come to think of it it's in the new release of Persona 5 Royal so maybe it'll be spared.

ungalo

Atlus really dropped the ball after the success of Persona 5. Unless we see suprising announcements soon, we can say they had absolutely no ambitious plan to build upon that mainstream recognition.

Hugare

You are missing the forrest for the trees

Its not about the videogame industry emulating Hollywood. They are just at the same situation.

* AAA games costs a ton/big movies costs a ton. Why you dont see a new movie IP as big as Avatar everyweek? For the same reason why you dont see a new game IP with the budget like GOW Ragnarok everyweek.

* Remakes are low risk/high reward in both industries. And they usually dont require huge budgets.

You are missing the forrest for the trees

Its not about the videogame industry emulating Hollywood. They are just at the same situation.

* AAA games costs a ton/big movies costs a ton. Why you dont see a new movie IP as big as Avatar everyweek? For the same reason why you dont see a new game IP with the budget like GOW Ragnarok everyweek.

* Remakes are low risk/high reward in both industries. And they usually dont require huge budgets.
Both of your points are right and my original post is pointing out the fact that the video game industry is in nearly the same exact situation, like you’ve stated, partly due to the fact that years ago they’ve switched gears to emulate the way the film industry works. I don’t just mean aesthetically, I mean also in terms of how they do business.

Edit: A good example of this is the idea of a cinematic universe. Video games have had no need to do this, but you hear rumblings from certain video game publishers that they are considering this idea now, because it worked so well for Hollywood financially.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

I'm down for it. Persona 3 looks more interesting to me than 4 and 5. Make it Unreal Engine like SMT5.

Last edited:
Loved the original but have no desire to replay it.

I'd want new experiences, life is too short to replay all these old games but I can't stop market forces, if enough want to buy it then so be it. Even a game like Dead Space I really don't want to retread that, despite enjoying it originally.

Akuza89

I would tend to be on the anti remake/remaster train, however i don't mind games that are on systems most people don't own anymore, makes them less accessible to people who enjoy franchises with numbers on looking for the past games.

Now i know persona 3 portable is getting put onto modern systems making that more accessible, but most modern players will glance over it these days unfortunately..

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.

no no no shut up we get that remakes are dime a dozen these days but unlike most other games Persona 3 actually deserves it, quite a lot too

Persona 3 Portable and Persona 3 FES are both games with different amounts of upsides and downsides, Persona 3 Portable has a female protagonist campaign (that alters the dialogue quite radically mind you) but it also cuts back on most of the FMVs and 3d environments are completely exclusive to dungeons. The game plays more like a visual novel with RPG elements than an actual RPG game

Persona 3 FES has the full experience in terms of presentation, all environments are fully modeled and FMVs are there and readily available. It lacks the female protagonist campaign however and to make it even worse you can't control your party members in combat. The game overall is much much worse from a playability standpoint.

Not to mention that in comparison to P4 and P5 persona 3 is overall just a more left out, forgotten game. Whether it's because of the other 2 being more recent or the actual merits of Persona 3 I have no idea, but a Remake would bring that game back into the limelight

A remake that combines both of these games strengths while leaving out the flaws is the best option and if you thought before you typed, you'd probably be on board with the idea.

lachesis

I would definitely play P3 again if they make a good remake - but it would have to be some very leaps & bound remake, far beyond current P5R in terms of presentation, QoL and all.

If they are going to change the story, the final true ending of P3F could be one of the normal endings, and perhaps it would add additional layer to have different outcome as well. Say, more like P4 to P4G type of deal or P5 to P5R type deal.​
I want each floor section to be much more varied in terms of presentation and themes - and perhaps more cleverly designed environmental interactivity. Random generated dungeons are cool and all, but I take well designed, harder to progress stages than ridiculously long random-generated tower.​
Also different music for each floor sections. Gets too monotonous afterwards.​
Higher quality voice recording. I'm playing P5R in original Japanese voice - and the recording sound like something pretty murky and muted compared to... English VA.​
Give the player the choice of controlling entire party like P3P, than being only able to control MC or Hamuko.​
Updated character designs, portraits and outfits - it's showing its age a bit. (Also keep things looking fresher)​
Better town designs - so that it's not as static angle. Moving along in tilting angles could solve this a bit - also helps out in immersion of exploring some town, restaurants etc. (like Yakuza series)​
I like the hip-hop inspired music, but they could remix it at better bit rate. Sometimes it just sound very noisy.​
Better character animations using next gen HW.​
No loading is a given in any situations. QoL improvements on all front also is given.​
Consistent quality control on FMV, in game cut scenes, battle character models, and character portraits. They are all over the place in P3F. (Like the length of Yukari's hair)​

P3 is indeed a very special game for Atlus. (Shin) Megami Tensei series, while was popular - but due to its dark, hardcore nature, it failed to attract a lot of players who wanted something lighter and optimistic. (and decline of JRPG in general) - They were in a very tight position financially (like being sold to Takara) until they hit really big with P3. It is probably the single most important (financially - whether you are a fan of SMT or not) franchise for Atlus at this point... so if they are going to renew the whole formula, this may be a good start - although I'd rather see P6.

I wasn't much of Atlus fan long time ago during 8bit/16bit era - but since I was a Sega fan, and they were one of very close third party to Sega, so I always cheered them and now immensely enjoy some of their games and they published - but at the same time, continuous rehashing and remaking and selling at full pricing, kinda makes me feel grossed out - even though they are now actually a part of Sega.

Chukhopops

Come to think of it it's in the new release of Persona 5 Royal so maybe it'll be spared.
You can have the Evoker as an accessory but do you actually do the animation?

Asking since I’ve never used the DLC in P5 (the game is already waaaay too easy).
Please change the random dungeons and include PSR Qol.
Change how? Tartarus is half if not more of Persona 3’s gameplay. MegaTen always had some elements of dungeon crawlers (P5 being pretty much the only exception) and it shouldn’t lose its identity.

I’m not worried at all since I’m convinced it will be a simple remaster with a few concessions to modern tastes - I just don’t want such a classic to lose its roots just because P5 sold more.

Last edited:

Shifty1897

Persona 3 is a great candidate for a remake. It's a great game without a definitive version, it's part of a now successful franchise, and a lot of the mechanics from later titles could be reworked into this game while still retaining the feel of Persona 3.

TGO

You can have the Evoker as an accessory but do you actually do the animation?

Asking since I’ve never used the DLC in P5 (the game is already waaaay too easy).
There's some DLC for the Battle mode which has previous Protags you can battle against

Kinda gives you a idea how a remake would look.

Last edited:

The game industry has imploded/is imploding 10x faster than hollywood with twice the level of consolidation and with fewer alternative options, and is much more unsustainable.

I don't think it's crazy to be upset at something that has yet to benefit the medium and has been leading it to several problems that seem to be getting worse. Also, there's nothing to really 'figure out" that's implying Hollywood which has it's own sustainability problems "figured something out" on how to deal with it but that's not even close to the case.

The fact is, Hollywood hasn't figured anything out, and we have seen it go through many problems, cancel or delay ambition and push heavily on safe checklist stuff, remakes, remasters etc. We had a movie have a remake with a different cast in iirc less than 2 years. That's just Hollywood searching for something to throw out so they aren't lockedup. There's a lot more money, staff and backend involved than with games, some missteps even in lower budget hollywood would wreck parts of the gaming industry. In fact, we've seen lesser versions of that happening the last several years. The biggest publishers are having monetary problems, sometimes even when they have what would generally be a great selling game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom