• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insider Gaming: Sony’s next Playstation Handheld (not a cloud-streaming device)

Logitech G Cloud already does everything this rumored handheld will do, plus it can do Xbox Remote Play, xCloud, Geforce Now, Steam Link, Moonlight, etc...

Logitech-G-Cloud-1024x700.jpg

This PS5 handheld is going to be dead in the water, because you know damn well they aren't going to allow support for streaming from other platforms.

Logitech costs $300, you can buy a smartphone for that price....

It's not the price of an accessory....

Last edited:

wvnative

Should be much better designed than that, so i don’t see how it’s stupid

I think making a dedicated device that exclusively does one thing, and that one thing is something any common device can already do, just seems like an enormous waste.

But it hasn't been officially revealed, maybe there is more to it?

novel idea... is this the only device? the fact is code named Q lite makes me wonder if there's a non-lite version of whatever it is (at a premium cost of course)
definitely agree with most saying that i'd prefer software running locally, so remote play should just be a nice bonus, not the entirety of the product.

leo-j

Wishing it was capable of downloading ps4 games and streaming ps5….. a portable 2 TF machine in 2024 is possible ….. but call it a psp again.

????

How are you supposed to play games without connecting to a PS5???

What do you expect, PS5 hardware in a handheld?
It should just be an updated Vita with PSP and Vita backwards compatibility along with new games and the option of using PS5 remote play if you want it.

Not ONLY PS5 remote play.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Always online looks like a super smart move. You are in the train and suddenly lose connection : the game stops. You are in vacation in the countryside or whatever and connection is super bad : the game stops. Looks definitely like the kind of user experience you want with a handheld.
On a roadtrip and connection lags? Play the count the pixels game.. fun.

I think making a dedicated device that exclusively does one thing, and that one thing is something any common device can already do, just seems like an enormous waste.

But it hasn't been officially revealed, maybe there is more to it?

A waste of what? It seems like the DualSense edge.

Low risk, low effort, but for some consumers, a real value for what they want

I’d rather have a dedicated handheld controller than a cobbled together phone

Chukhopops

Always online looks like a super smart move. You are in the train and suddenly lose connection : the game stops. You are in vacation in the countryside or whatever and connection is super bad : the game stops. Looks definitely like the kind of user experience you want with a handheld.
Don’t forget having to take out your phone each time to activate tether mode (unless this has its own sim card and connection but then the price will reflect it).

graywolf323

Gold Member
priced right and handled correctly this could be awesome, remote play for PS5 games and hopefully the ability to play BC natively on the handheld so you aren’t always reliant on having internet connection? 🤔

Sleepwalker

100 bucks is impulse buy territory, more and probably out. Will also depend on the screen quality, size and how "moddable" it is (Jk, it wont be moddable at all)

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
wtf, if true. Currently Android and Apple is already supported, so why would I use such a limited device?

Any receiver thing must do at least both otherwise it would be a retarded joke.

Because it's basically Sony selling you a controller and potentially one extra thing that you wouldn't have by just having your smart phone. That's why it needs to be priced correctly to work.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

Spyxos

Gold Member
Remote play has never worked for me, even in the same house and next to the router. No idea who this is for and I like streaming.

Remote play has never worked for me, even in the same house and next to the router. No idea who this is for and I like streaming.

Well Wi-Fi has improved a lot since I used it with my PS Vita more than 10 years ago. This device will have 5-Ghz Wi-Fi for sure this time

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

worked pretty good for me over tmobiles network on mobile hot spot with my Tab S8 ultra and tab S7+. never tried it on my phone

but this shit is stupid if true.

wvnative

A waste of what? It seems like the DualSense edge.

Low risk, low effort, but for some consumers, a real value for what they want

I’d rather have a dedicated handheld controller than a cobbled together phone

Money for R&D, money to buy it, shelf space etc...

I just personally see no purpose here. Great if others do though.

reinking

Gold Member
It exists for me, my spouse hogs the TV to watch Anime and I want to play games but still be in the same room with them. Trying to balance an iPad on my lap with a controller sucks as does using the hacked Remote Play app on my Steam Deck.

A device that connects directly to the PS5 but just a DualSense controller with a screen sounds cool.
Great use but I have been playing PlayStation remote play for years using a phone. They have the backbone controller now so it is even better than the kashi controller I use. If it comes in cheap enough maybe it serves a purpose but they have so many options for remote play now I am not convinced this is needed. I’m still holding out for more info in hopes there is more to it than just the remote play function.

At the end of the day it is an entertainment device. If it brings someone a little more fun or convenience I suppose it will be worth it for them. I just do not see it being a big hit for Sony overall.

• Thoughtful

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Spider-Man 2 isn't a game? New PS5 only Horizons DLC isn't content?

Naughty Dog is working on new AAA title. And I am sure there is a ton more.
You forgot about Marvel's Wolverine too.
The problem is Sony hasn't announced anything new since Marvel's Spider Man 2 & Wolverine back in 2021.
Which was the PS5 first year and we are now in 2023.
Sure you do have the VR2 Content & DLC like Burning Shores & The Last of Us PT I that was announced and released shortly after.
But other then that and including that, that's not much, even for a year that's not a lot.
And if they don't announced anything new this year, then that's all they've done in the first 3 years of the PS5's lifespan and Wolverine isn't coming out till 24/25.
It's a pretty poor showing.
Outside of those two games and Horizon's DLC what have you got to look forward to from Sony?
An actual game for PS5, not something they're working on and you don't know what it is because it hasn't been shown.
Something concrete that you can show me now.

Woopah

Why not just make a dedicated ps4 handheld wiith an oled screen?
Because then Sony would have to likely split development resources between it and the PS5. And that would be a bad idea.
Someone make a poll asking folks how many hours a day they are actually offline.

“Lulz when I sleep”…who turns their phone off when they sleep?!?

This is a non issue in the countries this product will be serving.
Quite a lot I'd imagine. There's lots of places that don't have good WiFi (subways, trains etc.).

I guess you could tether the device to your phone but that would then eat into your data.
Why are people so hyper focused on the remote-play / cloud streaming aspect of it? Who gives a shit about that.

I just want a handhold that I can play and install shit on normally. Gives us access to the old store games (I want my Vita, PSP, PS1/2 classics back), PS4 games and whatever else is compatible from our library to install and I'm fine with that if the price is good. I wouldn't play or stream next gen-titles on the fucking thing anyways.
Because that "aspect" is the whole device. You can't download/install anything on the device itself.

It's a PS5 accessory not a handheld.

MirageMew2

Remote play with PS5 is very good, of course YMMV, but I perfectly enjoy loading it up so much that I’d gotten a Backbone. An official PlayStation portable with haptics and adaptive triggers is an easy purchase at the right price.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Remote play with PS5 is very good, of course YMMV, but I perfectly enjoy loading it up so much that I’d gotten a Backbone. An official PlayStation portable with haptics and adaptive triggers is an easy purchase at the right price.
That's what I'm thinking. I want that PS5 backbone but I don't have an iPhone. If Sony releases a 1st party option at a decent price, I'm all in.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Great use but I have been playing PlayStation remote play for years using a phone. They have the backbone controller now so it is even better than the kashi controller I use. If it comes in cheap enough maybe it serves a purpose but they have so many options for remote play now I am not convinced this is needed. I’m still holding out for more info in hopes there is more to it than just the remote play function.

At the end of the day it is an entertainment device. If it brings someone a little more fun or convenience I suppose it will be worth it for them. I just do not see it being a big hit for Sony overall.

Yeah, yall are making me realize that this can only be true if it's either $99 (dirt cheap) or it has no capabilities than is being listed here.

paolo11

Not a fan of remote play device. I wanted an offline device that can play all your ps4 or ps5 games digitally. Kinda like on the go. Screen I’m ok with 720p because it’s small screen

• Thoughtful

begotten

Because that "aspect" is the whole device. You can't download/install anything on the device itself.

It's a PS5 accessory not a handheld.

Is this confirmed somewhere? I only see mixed reports.

I find it hard to believe that a device with an 8 inch screen attached to Dualsense-esque shell has no new OS and is just a Remote Play accessory.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
You forgot about Marvel's Wolverine too.
The problem is Sony hasn't announced anything new since Marvel's Spider Man 2 & Wolverine back in 2021.
Which was the PS5 first year and we are now in 2023.
Sure you do have the VR2 Content & DLC like Burning Shores & The Last of Us PT I that was announced and released shortly after.
But other then that and including that, that's not much, even for a year that's not a lot.
And if they don't announced anything new this year, then that's all they've done in the first 3 years of the PS5's lifespan and Wolverine isn't coming out till 24/25.
It's a pretty poor showing.

Outside of those two games and Horizon's DLC what have you got to look forward to from Sony?
An actual game for PS5, not something they're working on and you don't know what it is because it hasn't been shown.
Something concrete that you can show me now.

So, PS has no games.

Man, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the whole Xbox thing which has been going on for more than 2 years (with many projects still being literally vaporware) 😁

AngelMuffin

I don't understand how people can play modern games on small screens. Just killing the experience. Deck, Switch, etc are good for indie games or shmups in portable mode, but if a game has amazing visuals like why waste them on a tiny display?
So you can continue to play the game on a plane, train, automobile, bus, etc.

Top Bottom