• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insider leak on the current happenings inside Blizzard. Will be interesting to see if this turns out to be true.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
If you do not want to play a game doing the same things over and over I highly suggest avoiding any and all MMOs.

oagboghi2

What more can I say?
I've done enough solo quests, dungeons, or group matches against bosses to think the game is really average.

I played with friends and sometimes alone for xp. In solo, I don't really have communication with the other players. I have never seen so many people who are not very open in communication channels / MP.. even for sell something.. they no one.
The ending of ARR before Heavensward is okay... but man... so many hours for this is a nightmare...

The final bosses of ARR is incredibly bad ... 8vs1? It's really bad to play and ruined my playthrough. Litteraly I just sit and watch other kill the boss... 0 damage. F.U.N

The tank or dps gameplay is basically summed up as a hit combo. 1, 2, 3. 1, 2, 3. 1, 2, 3. It's just super boring.

There isn't even an element system in the gameplay or stuff. You do fire attacks with Ninja because AOE, but lightning because not AOE. No interaction whether the enemies absorb fire or not. Just damage.

The RPG aspect is really bad. There is no build customization or whatever. You choose a role and later you just have two role direction which is not the same, but in fact it is ... Because RAID / Dungeon just requires 3 class ... Tank, DPS, Healer.

The begining of the game is bad. Quests are mostly zero, there is no desire to do PvE alone., bc no story behind the quest and YOU have to do the scenario quests because EVERYONE is High Level. And even scenario quests is full of round trip and easy.

All races are the same and everyone starts almost in the same place. All jobs can be accessed with a single button on THE SAME Character. Yes, it's useful ... but actually no... No second character with a different job, so developer don't rework low level PvE, new zone or other thing. You just see player, you thinking is a beginer and playing with him.. but in fact.. no. At least... developper KNOW the low level PvE is garbage.. so finally... is usefuf to switch job

Can I say the first dongeon is the most boring thing I've played in a game like ever ?

All people is on Limsa Lomina, bc all npc merchand is easily accessible..... just a corridor of merchand.. (The general design of each city is bad... excepte Gridania... but hey, we have loading on this game...)

NPC merchant for example or other NPC is so annoying... not dubing.

The auction house is full of NOTHING .. All the high level stuff is sold at very low prices ... Why do quest ? If we can buy everything from the players?

I don't understand the people do RP in this game, like broomstick, hug a virtual character, wedding (full of cringe) or even music.
I haven't mention those who believed played the Sims by buying houses and other stuff ?

The game overuses teleportation and round trip quests. There is NO exploration, the game does not force you to explore, because there is nothing to do. The only moment that prompts you to explore is to complete the bestiary.
I have 4-5 jobs at level 50 to see that in fact ... I'm struggling to play the game ... And once I did the first quest for Heavensward ... I was tired ... Tired of playing a game I have to do the same thing over and over and over ...

And yes, I do not write English well. Simply because it's not my native language.

PS : Bad guys is Organization XIII? Yeah ty bye...
PS2: FF12 is a (far) better RPG than FF14.

It sounds like you don't like mmo's at all.

Barakov

It's telling that the most exciting Blizzard is doing right now is a remake of a 21-year old game.

OW2 and D4 are too far off for me to care right now. I'm glad all the woke stuff is coming back to bite them in the ass.

Last edited:

FStubbs

My guess is because even Blizzard understands that WoW was a perfect storm that nobody will ever be able to recreate, not even Blizzard.
You're not looking for a perfect storm. You're looking to keep a profitable, healthy mmo on your portfolio. WoW is profitable but definitely not healthy.

FF14 is only a problem for WoW because WoW has declined to the point where FF14 is worth caring about to Blizzard.

Let's put it this way, the Blizzard of old would've taken on the challenge of making WoW2 head on.

There’s like 10 typos in the first paragraph alone. If anyone thinks a professional wrote this LMAO

Clearly fan fiction from an angry nerd who doesn’t get out much.

Despite that blizzard definitely sucks tho

Last edited:
Pretty positive this is a fanfic to rile up the fans and blizzard community. However, would not be surprised if most of it is true. As a long time WoW player I can def see a lot of these things being true, just not as exaggerated.

I follow D4 and WoW religiously. D4 is my last hope.

Last edited:

BRZBlue

You're not looking for a perfect storm. You're looking to keep a profitable, healthy mmo on your portfolio. WoW is profitable but definitely not healthy.

FF14 is only a problem for WoW because WoW has declined to the point where FF14 is worth caring about to Blizzard.

Let's put it this way, the Blizzard of old would've taken on the challenge of making WoW2 head on.
No they wouldn't have. WoW2 would very much suffer from "EQ2" issues. That's actually something a lot of the original WoW team talk about nowadays. How a "WoW2" isn't really possible, since you're just going to split your userbase.-
What more can I say?
I've done enough solo quests, dungeons, or group matches against bosses to think the game is really average.

I played with friends and sometimes alone for xp. In solo, I don't really have communication with the other players. I have never seen so many people who are not very open in communication channels / MP.. even for sell something.. they no one.
The ending of ARR before Heavensward is okay... but man... so many hours for this is a nightmare...

The final bosses of ARR is incredibly bad ... 8vs1? It's really bad to play and ruined my playthrough. Litteraly I just sit and watch other kill the boss... 0 damage. F.U.N

Did you try running it at minimum ilvl for more of a challenge? I'm willing to bet you didn't.

The tank or dps gameplay is basically summed up as a hit combo. 1, 2, 3. 1, 2, 3. 1, 2, 3. It's just super boring.
This is the Ninja Level 80 opener from 5.0 You are blatantly lying here.

D-7R7Q6XUAAbnoq.jpg

There isn't even an element system in the gameplay or stuff. You do fire attacks with Ninja because AOE, but lightning because not AOE. No interaction whether the enemies absorb fire or not. Just damage.
This is a pedantic complaint.
The RPG aspect is really bad. There is no build customization or whatever. You choose a role and later you just have two role direction which is not the same, but in fact it is ... Because RAID / Dungeon just requires 3 class ... Tank, DPS, Healer.
The jobs themselves are the customization, since you can play all jobs on one character. Also, this gives the game an extremely balanced endgame, and makes all jobs competitive in end-game raiding, unlike other MMO's like WoW, which have classes and specs entirely cut out from end-game due to huge disparities in utility and damage.
The begining of the game is bad. Quests are mostly zero, there is no desire to do PvE alone., bc no story behind the quest and YOU have to do the scenario quests because EVERYONE is High Level. And even scenario quests is full of round trip and easy.

This is opinion. Whats funny is the majority of current ex-WoW streamers that have started playing FFXIV have actually enjoyed the ARR questing experience.
All races are the same and everyone starts almost in the same place. All jobs can be accessed with a single button on THE SAME Character. Yes, it's useful ... but actually no... No second character with a different job, so developer don't rework low level PvE, new zone or other thing. You just see player, you thinking is a beginer and playing with him.. but in fact.. no. At least... developper KNOW the low level PvE is garbage.. so finally... is usefuf to switch job

This is as explained above, a good thing. In fact, many WoW players would like something similar in the game as it effectively creates account-wide progression being able to do everything. Once again, you seem to be the only person having issues with a rather normal leveling experience.
Can I say the first dongeon is the most boring thing I've played in a game like ever ?

All people is on Limsa Lomina, bc all npc merchand is easily accessible..... just a corridor of merchand.. (The general design of each city is bad... excepte Gridania... but hey, we have loading on this game...)

Sastasha is slow... because its literally the first dungeon... teaching players basic MMO mechanics.
Skipping all this, because its all wrong again. (and demonstrably false).
The auction house is full of NOTHING .. All the high level stuff is sold at very low prices ... Why do quest ? If we can buy everything from the players?

This is, another lie.
I don't understand the people do RP in this game, like broomstick, hug a virtual character, wedding (full of cringe) or even music.
I haven't mention those who believed played the Sims by buying houses and other stuff ?

This is sort of where you show you really don't even understand what an MMO is.
The game overuses teleportation and round trip quests. There is NO exploration, the game does not force you to explore, because there is nothing to do. The only moment that prompts you to explore is to complete the bestiary.
I have 4-5 jobs at level 50 to see that in fact ... I'm struggling to play the game ... And once I did the first quest for Heavensward ... I was tired ... Tired of playing a game I have to do the same thing over and over and over ...

Which is funny, because there is exploration. Sightseeing log and aether currents to name a few.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
MSQ roulette makes for a poor argument anyway since it's largely faceroll considering everyone is overgeared which means a majority of phases are pushed, and the fight is largely scripted. As you progress through the game the encounters get harder and build upon the basics that they teach you in ARR.

Which I prefer so when you group for for HW content and onward people know what they are doing.

Meicyn

Gold Member
The Praetorium is actually a lot of fun at minimum ilvl. There are a lot of mechanics and voice lines in the fights for Gaius and Ultima Weapon that no one ever sees or hears. Folks should do it at least once, to experience how it was at launch.

It’s weird to watch someone complain that folks don’t communicate, then bitch about folks roleplaying in a roleplaying game. Apparently interaction between players needs to revolve exclusively around squarealex’s idea of what is acceptable, and conversations need to be tailored to squarealex’s specific needs.

YukiOnna

Of course people are going to roleplay in a MMORPG... This has been a thing since the earlier days. You may not, but that's a huge part of it, lol. Hell, a part of the design philosophy for FFXIV is to make sure people can roleplay as freely as they want and the aim is always repeatedly to make it feel like you're living in the world if you pursue the side content. I don't do any high level roleplay, but it's a community staple that makes the world lively.

Last edited:
But are they really in trouble? It's kind of hard to keep a game relevant that came out in 2004. The articles acting like players quitting classic TBC is a sign that wow is in a panic are a bit over the top. Players come back to play some wow and then they stop their subscription once they get bored. It's not some new devastating event. This has been occurring for years with each new expansion.

jakdex

Mark Kern has a thread on twitter that started because he saw this:

If you want to read everything open the twit, it's quite long.

Last edited:

Thabass

What more can I say?

Sounds like you've played with a bad set of players then. I'm always explaining mechanics and stuff in the stuff I'm running.

Well yes, it's an MMO. They are long games full of lore. Not sure what you were expecting there.

Someone mentioned this before, but there's an option to set minimum iLVL. The game teaches you this.
I'll give you tank gameplay, but DPS is certainly not like this for most (if not all of the jobs). SAM, DRG, and NIN are all prime examples of this.
Not sure how other MMOs work, but I'm not sure FFXIV needs an element system. I assume that's just how MMOs work. AOE, single target.
I have no idea what you're talking about. Your character can play any class, job, and role they want at any given time. This is one of the game's best features.
FFXIV has one of the deepest stories in an MMO, the whole game is a story in of itself. The beginning of the game is boring because all beginnings are boring and are explaining the game to the player. Try harder for this one.
Explained above. Yeah, this is not how this game works and I really don't think you understand how MMOs work either.
Shock! A tutorial dungeon is boring. You're just making up complaints now.
You're saying ease of access is a bad thing? What?
I don't even know what you mean by this.
First off, it's a marketplace and not an auction house. They are fundamentally different. And none of that exists unless the items are really old. Most people actually do the fights for those weapons.
Yeah, you really don't know what MMOs are.
Yes, because going to each area would be a chore to do without having teleportation. Every freakin' MMO has teleportation.
And yes, I do not write English well. Simply because it's not my native language.
My bad then didn't mean to make fun of you for it.
Opinion. XII isn't an MMO, it's a completely different experience and game.

Sounds like overall, you really don't understand FFXIV at all and you're just kinda pulling out stuff to bash the game that you clearly don't understand.

WoW is like 40 years old now. How long did they honestly think they could keep milking it? The actual storyline of the Warcraft universe ended with Wrath of the Lich King which was now 13 years ago. That WoW has been able to last this long after the story was over is already a miracle.

I don't know what Blizzard should do. They canned every new project at some point and decided to just milk WoW like it would literally go on forever. Well, forever is now here. What the fuck will they do now?

Speaking of FFXIV, the upcoming Endwalker expansion is also the end of FFXIV's main story. From there, everyone is expecting a decline too. That Square Enix was able to make the story of FFXIV last this long is very impressive, but once it's over, most players will be happy to call it a career and uninstall. I know I'm ready to be done, I've been playing FFXIV on and off since version 1.0 back in 2010. That's 11 years for anyone counting. 11 years is a long time to be playing any one thing and WoW is even older than that.

Last edited:

royox

What more can I say?

You shamelessly post a video of Última Weapon, the final boss of the MSQ of 2.0. A boss that is INTENDED to be easy as fuck now after 100 nerfs because it's 8 years old content and nobody wants to be stuck in a boss doing tries after 1h of dungeon. That's why you have the EXTREME version of that boss that can be done in Unsync Mode abd minimum Itemlevel as just YESTERDAY Asmongold did and he couldn't stop saying how much he loved this boss.

Then he says the "gameplay is 123 123" bullshit that is not even true about the tanks and after drops this pearl:

I have 4-5 jobs at level 50 to see that in fact

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, a guy crying about gameplay and endgame mechanics that is still stuck in ARR.

Last edited:

royox

Speaking of FFXIV, the upcoming Endwalker expansion is also the end of FFXIV's main story. From there, everyone is expecting a decline too. That Square Enix was able to make the story of FFXIV last this long is very impressive

Untrue. Endwalker, patch 6.0 is the End of the current STORY ARC. The battle between Zodiark and Hydealyn. Ascians vs WoL. After that 6.1 will begin a new arc abut a new thread that pretty sure will be discovered during the expansion MSQ.
Why is this good? Cause the current story Arc was built over the scraps of the failed 1.0 and the devs were stuck with this idea and characters. After Endwalker MSQ they will have absolute freedom to start something new, original and not depending on 1.0.

But are they really in trouble? It's kind of hard to keep a game relevant that came out in 2004. The articles acting like players quitting classic TBC is a sign that wow is in a panic are a bit over the top. Players come back to play some wow and then they stop their subscription once they get bored. It's not some new devastating event. This has been occurring for years with each new expansion.
Let's be real I've seen WORLD OF WARCRAFT IS DYING articles for the past five years at least. I'll believe it when I see it :messenger_sleeping:

Kenpachii

That's true. But how many times have we seen news about one MMO having more players than WoW?

U can see the site doesn't understand mmo's and it shows.

The website they use isn't even relevant because numbers are completely wrong on it and just guesses to what they think is going on.

So many flaws here

1) wow = wow offical + classic = far higher player count then ff14
2) wow offical = already higher then ff14
3) BDO doesn't have 11m players, it has 40m players confirmed by the company itself and 40% of that is in the west
4) the website they use doesn't track anything other then western players which skews the results massively
5) wow was never thre biggest mmo to start with, dungeon figher was an dis.
6) wow is only the biggest on subscriber, but i would not be shocked if many mmo's passed it even bdo on player counts already as PC market is massive on the mmo scene. There is no valid way to track mmo's on player sizes other then getting confirmation from company's.

In short ff14 metric being on n1 makes no sense even remotely.

While people are hyping up FF14 beyond believes, FF14 is holded back massively by being peanuts sized in the east. Having far to much weeb shit most country's specially west will never like or care about. Design choices are terrible to the point it feels like u really are playing a old clunky mmo. Far to hard to get into with endless story gating. Gameplay is limited as result and PVP is non existent.

Even while blizzard is salty over ff14, i agree with blizzard even while i absolutely dislike there current new mmo and i am burned out on there classic projects. FF14 doesn't come close to wow on any level specially when u also need to consider wow = at its absolute lowest deepest point and even then ff14 isn't overtaking it which is at its all time high.

The only reason what worry's blizzard is player engagement and there players leaving and not coming back anymore with expansion / updates while ff14 doesn't have that problem. which is a huge problem. and that's what the real issue is here.

What wow needs is new visions and a complete new reboot of the game with a new version or even a new mmo made by them. Hell they could go on and keep wow on life support but make something new, that can dig into new community's. They are pretty much the best mmo creater in the world on gameplay and frankly it won't be to hard for them to reskin wow into something else with a lot of new idea's etc.

I would love for wow to focus on entirely PVP in a complete new mmo and keep the normal wow as a raiding design what it is right now. That could be a really nice addition.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

FF14 doesn't come close to wow on any level

Like, 5 years ago? maybe? ...maaaaybe? When we were all sitting our garrisons pretending things were going to be ok? Remember that critical point in time?

Modern day WoW is fucking terrible. It's like maintenance mode, but they still pretend they're trying. If you consider FFXIV clunky then WoW is an absolute fossil at this point.

Madflavor

You ever heard the phrase that if you throw enough shit at the wall, one of it's bound to stick? I think this "leak" is fake, but whoever wrote it threw a lot of shit at the wall and a good amount of it just happens to be sticking. Regardless of whether or not there's any proof, it's pretty obvious that some of the things written in that post are true over at Blizzard. You don't need an insider to tell you a lot of these things.

MiguelItUp

Lol @ "insider"

I mean, honestly the "main issues" all sound fairly believable and have kind of just been in plain view. A lot of the memorable individuals at Blizzard have all left/are continuing to leave. Projects feel like a hot mess, and there's just a very bizarre vibe about everything. Overwatch 2 is a perfect example of this IMO.

A part of me still wants to hope and believe that Diablo IV will be amazing, but I really don't know how it's all going to pan out.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Blizzard will never be again what Blizzard was, and we will just have to accept that. All the original talent has left and they are a maintenance company now.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I think the "leak" is fake, but most of the problems are very real. I cancelled my sub earlier this year after it became clear that 9.1 wasn't coming out anytime soon.

Blizzard just isn't Blizzard anymore and they haven't been for years. They don't play their own game like they used to and they have no idea what the players want. Every expansion is just systems on top of systems in order to force a grind onto the players to ensure people are logging in every day. It's essentially a list of chores. Nobody wants to be playing a game everyday just so they can complete some chores. They want to play for fun. And WoW just isn't fun anymore. Not like it used to be. In fact I think the only reason they are still doing as good as they are player wise is because many people are afraid to stop playing because they have invested too much time and money into the game. They don't want to admit to themselves that they were wrong or that they have wasted their time.

And it's not just that. This last patch cycle was completely horrible. It took them what 8 months to finally get a patch together for the expansion they released last year? And then when you release the patch it turns out that you didn't listen to basically any of the requests or desires of the community and stubbornly pushed on with your own agenda instead? You expect people to pay $15 a month for that level of service? Blizzard thinks they know better than their players and they act like it at every turn. For years now they have ignored the community and tried to "fix" things that aren't broken. All while ignoring all of the things that actually NEED fixing.

Its no wonder they have an exodus of players leaving and heading over to stuff like FFXIV. I'm honestly surprised it hasn't happened sooner.

Last edited:

TransTrender

Gold Member
Don't underestimate Blizzards ability to fuck things up
Yeah, I wonder how they feel now

Ozzie666

Man they've come a long way from the company who used to have NEO GEO's everywhere for people to play. Such a fall from grace both professionally and game wise. How much of this is Activisions fault, or is it all the Everquest people's fault.. seriously.

Top Bottom