• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inside's new patch for the Steam version removes Denuvo

GavinUK86

also they just now patched the denuvo out of steam vesion \o/

Cx9sgEJXAAEXABA.jpg

Thanks for prudislav for posting it in another thread.

Is this the first time Denuvo has been patched out of a game? Will anymore follow?

Both of the developers games, Limbo and Inside, are now on GOG so in this scenario that's probably why but it's still the first time I've seen a studio do it.

Rondras

Banned
Steam being already a DRM(like Uplay and Origin) having another DRM seems stupid, more when Denuvo stays online all the time without anyones permission. At least I can close steam and even unistall.

This should have some laws to stop this... but thinkin' better those laws probably would make us have 5 DRM at the same time

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
To this day I don't understand people's issue with Denuvo outside of scare tactics. I don't think there's anything this has done except not let people pirate games easily on release. Everything people bring up for it has absolutely no evidence behind it, it all just seems like fear mongering to me.

But it's a nice move by the developers all the same since I guess some people have irrational fears of anything involving DRM of any kind.

Steam being already a DRM(like Uplay and Origin) having another DRM seems stupid
Well, Denuvo actually works (for a couple months after release, at least), and Steam doesn't.

more when Denuvo stays online all the time without anyones permission. At least I can close steam and even unistall.
Huh? Citation needed.

Anyway, this is nice news. Just another reminder though that the game also released on GOG last week, without any DRM whatsoever, so if you really care about DRM you know where to go.

Angelina

Banned
seems like a decent tatic tho event aaa devs could use, drm for first 6 months denuvo has been good at stopping piracy, you have had a decent sale by then too. then remove it

To this day I don't understand people's issue with Denuvo outside of scare tactics. I don't think there's anything this has done except not let people pirate games easily on release. Everything people bring up for it has absolutely no evidence behind it, it's all just fear mongering.

But it's a nice move by the developers all the same since I guess some people have irrational fears of anything involving DRM of any kind.

Yeah, I understand why many people are opposed to it on philosophical grounds, but I've never seen the more logical arguments hold up to any sort of scrutiny.

Good to see the devs remove it all the same.

Steam being already a DRM(like Uplay and Origin) having another DRM seems stupid, more when Denuvo stays online all the time without anyones permission. At least I can close steam and even unistall.

This should have some laws to stop this... but thinkin' better those laws probably would make us have 5 DRM at the same time

Steam is not a DRM. You can have DRM free games on Steam and there are quite a few of them as well (like 200+)

Huh? Citation needed.

Steam itself is at it's core just a download manager. DRM free games sold on steam do not require it to be installed after you download the game. You just launch directly from the installation folder. Steam as DRM is a thing added onto games.

bj00rn_

Banned
Wut! I said that I wouldn't buy this game because of that crap, and I actually kept that promise. Now I can finally buy it!

Pubs, this is how you do it. Big thumps up!

I'd like for this to start becoming the norm, if only so that we don't have to do the same old dance in every Denuvo thread :p. I would really prefer Denuvo being a temporary measure over a permanent alternative or one that enables week one piracy. But of course that's reliant on the will of the publisher, so we'll see. Hope this becomes a trend.

mlclmtckr

Banned
Does Denuvo even actually do anything bad or even perceptible though? I don't get why it annoys people (except pirates).

Steam is not a DRM. You can have DRM free games on Steam and there are quite a few of them as well (like 200+)

People always say this when the discussion comes up, but it seems entirely irrelevant to me. You can't tell before purchase whether a game is DRM Free—the most you can can do is go look it up on that Wiki page, which isn't always kept updated—and the vast majority do use DRM.

Does Denuvo even actually do anything bad or even perceptible though? I don't get why it annoys people (except pirates).

It's because it adds an additional server depency for your purchase, gives the Denuvo makers authority over the access of your purchase, will cause your game to not start if the re-activation fails after patching, is known to make modding more difficult, has come with rumours about affecting the performance of the game since the start, and gives the paying user nothing back in return.

Storm360

Kinda curious... Anyone know if this was previously cracked or something? Wonder if that was the "inspiration" to remove it

Durante

Good.

People always say this when the discussion comes up, but it seems entirely irrelevant to me. You can't tell before purchase whether a game is DRM Free—the most you can can go look it up on that Wiki page, which isn't always kept updated—and the vast majority do use DRM.
I don't think it's irrelevant at all. The fact that you can distribute a DRM-free game on Steam is significant, even if it's not very well signaled.

bede-x

Cool. I wish more developers would do it this way. Heavy DRM in the beginning of a title's life, with a promise to remove it somewhere down the line.

theRizzle

Good.

I don't think it's irrelevant at all. The fact that you can distribute a DRM-free game on Steam is significant, even if it's not very well signaled.

Yes, exactly. It's very relevant. Steam does not force pubs to use Steamworks or any DRM at all for that matter. Maybe it would be better if they surfaced that information a little better, but the fact that there are hundreds of DRM free games on Steam is very relevant.

SeanBoocock

Neo Member
As it always comes up and is confused, Denuvo is not a DRM solution but an anti-tamper product that encrypts the binary and provides developers hooks for when tampering is detected.

It is often used in concert with DRM solutions - Steamworks, Origin, uPlay, etc - to protect those DRM implementations from being trivially cracked. Removing Denuvo wouldn't make a game any more or less "DRM-free" if the game had already been protected with a DRM solution.

Corpekata

Banned

People say this about everything. Then 5 years later when the latest DRM company has folded or moved on, it causes issues.

Like in the wake of Securrom and GFWL, the latter causing so much issues multiple games had to be ported off of it, I don't see how this such a common refrain.

Deadbeat

Banned
People say this about everything. Then 5 years later when the latest DRM company has folded or moved on, it causes issues.

Like in the wake of Securrom and GFWL, the latter causing so much issues multiple games had to be ported off of it, I don't see how this such a common refrain.
Example: I cant legally play my copy of clear sky because tages drm doesnt work anymore.

Mohasus

Example: I cant legally play my copy of clear sky because tages drm doesnt work anymore.

I wanted to buy Anno 2070 but it also has TAGES.

Incorporates 3rd-party DRM: TAGES™
3 machine activation limit

Lul wut

Denuvo at least never locked me out of a game (so far).

As it always comes up and is confused, Denuvo is not a DRM solution but an anti-tamper product that encrypts the binary and provides developers hooks when tampering is detected.

It is often used in concert with DRM solutions - Steamworks, Origin, uPlay, etc - to protect those DRM implementations from being trivially cracked. Removing Denuvo wouldn't make a game any more or less "DRM-free" if the game had already been protected with a DRM solution.

This is what a lot of people initially thought but it's not true (or perhaps at least older iterations of Denuvo it was true?)

Upon launching the game for the first time the executable is patched by denuvo servers, you need an Internet connection for this, Steam doesn't do it, so if this doesn't happen, you can't play.

In fact, Steam now adds a strict Denuvo DRM label to games, if you look at Dishonored for example: http://store.steampowered.com/app/403640/

"Incorporates 3rd-party DRM: Denuvo Antitamper. 5 different PC within a day machine activation limit".

If denuvo's authentication servers had to be down, you wouldn't be able to play it. From what I've read on the steam forums it's not a once-off check either, it'll check in the future again (granted it's not every time you play, so it's not that intrusive).

Deadbeat

Banned
I wanted to buy Anno 2070 but it also has TAGES.

Incorporates 3rd-party DRM: TAGES™
3 machine activation limit

Lul wut

Denuvo at least never locked me out of a game (so far).
For denuvo, when their servers go down or are shut down, you will be unable to play your purchase.

Top Bottom