• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac Dev Says Ratchet Is 'Tip of the Iceberg'

Maximusz

jurassic park mind blown GIF by Spotify
Cosmo Kramer Mind Blown GIF

Spidey Fan

Banned
What did you expect? I have been saying time and time. When a talented studio dont have to worry about financial money, They will release epic games. Obsidian went ham with avowed and grounded for xbox, And here insomniac went ham with miles morales and ratchet. These 2 studio will put great games for their studios, since money isnt an issue for them.

kyussman

These guys might actually pound for pound be the best in the business....I'm just thinking back to their PS3 output for instance,they put out games every year back then and mostly great ones too.Their whole set up over there seems like a super well oiled machine firing on all cylinders.

Kerotan

Was most likely lauch title that got delayed a little.

Mid gen titles should be a nice upgrade. At least small ones.
Or delayed on purpose because they want to space their launches out. I'd imagine they chose spiderman at launch because it will sell a lot more.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

Kerotan

These guys might actually pound for pound be the best in the business....I'm just thinking back to their PS3 output for instance,they put out games every year back then and mostly great ones too.Their whole set up over there seems like a super well oiled machine firing on all cylinders.
The fact they had resistance fall of man including 40 man Multiplayer ready for the PS3 launch in 2006 was insane. Developing for the cell with no previous experience was a massive challenge.

Only other dev that pulled off something as impressive was evolution studios with motorstorm.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I don't like when a company talks like this. Better talk with performance over time. I don't say that Rachet is not a good game, actually it is the most "next gen" game today. But take notes from what happened to CDPR. Keep your mouth closed and talk with results.
huh? He was asked a question and he answered it. A lot of folks really believe that portals and fast loading is all you can do with the PS5 and I/O.

CDPR has a history of downgrades and lying. Insomniac doesn't. Sony studios have always talked about how they are able to get more out of consoles as the gen goes on. I remember they used to get made fun of when they claimed they could get a lot more out of the Cell.

jaysius

Banned
I don't like when a company talks like this. Better talk with performance over time. I don't say that Rachet is not a good game, actually it is the most "next gen" game today. But take notes from what happened to CDPR. Keep your mouth closed and talk with results.
Yup.

Blowing Smoke Smoking GIF by The Weeknd

BootsLoader

Banned
huh? He was asked a question and he answered it. A lot of folks really believe that portals and fast loading is all you can do with the PS5 and I/O.

CDPR has a history of downgrades and lying. Insomniac doesn't. Sony studios have always talked about how they are able to get more out of consoles as the gen goes on. I remember they used to get made fun of when they claimed they could get a lot more out of the Cell.
While I do not disagree with you, I still think they have to calm down and don't make bold claims.

TonyK

What did you expect? I have been saying time and time. When a talented studio dont have to worry about financial money, They will release epic games. Obsidian went ham with avowed and grounded for xbox, And here insomniac went ham with miles morales and ratchet. These 2 studio will put great games for their studios, since money isnt an issue for them.
We haven't seen anything yet apart from a CG video. I suggest to lower expectations because they are not precisely known because of their graphics or technical skills, but for their narrative.

Was most likely lauch title that got delayed a little.

Mid gen titles should be a nice upgrade. At least small ones.

I honestly think it was a near launch title that got delayed only because they couldn't make enough PS5s fast enough. They wanted a bigger base to sell to and didn't need it to push PS5 sales, since supply is the issue, not demand.

ethomaz

Banned
i do wonder how easy it would be to add quick resume, you would have to sacrifice more of the storage to do so and maybe it's something that's optional, I want both companies to figure a way to keep network connections 'alive' when games are paused.
I guess he was asking a quick resume from the video :pie_thinking:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It depends on the answer.
Saying a game that comes out early in a gen is "the tip of the iceberg" and that games will continue to improve is like saying water is wet.

This is sort of a nothing statement to base a video on lol... it's the equivalent of a post game interview when the star of a game says "it's all about my teammates" when he's praised.

It's exactly what is expected of a developer to say.

vkbest

i do wonder how easy it would be to add quick resume, you would have to sacrifice more of the storage to do so and maybe it's something that's optional, I want both companies to figure a way to keep network connections 'alive' when games are paused.

If you abuse of Quick resume, you will kill the SSD on 3 or 4 years.

Ceadeus

Their games are always a breath of fresh air. I don't own a PS5 as for now but I'll be sure to buy this game.

I really liked sunset overdrive , it's such a fun game full of novelty. I hope they also go back to this IP.

Buggy Loop

Of course it's the tip of the iceberg since devs basically started tiptoeing with AI. What peoples don't understand is that, current rasterization, physics simulation and so on are pretty much or will be maxed out soon. This traditional "old gen" way of doing things will look silly when they start learning to use those ML accelerators (or tensor cores in Nvidia's case, whatever, consoles have accelerators).

Peoples so far are stuck on using AI for upscaling but it can be so much more :

Did you not notice something missing from UE5? Crazy geometry and lighting, but physics are still "cartoon world" and comically out of place? A rock falling down will still act "old gen" like it's still running on Havok. They improved so much the static environment, but it clashes with anything dynamic that we would expect physics to interact on.

To see what i mean :

Those rocks are made of cinema foam. No deformation of terrain, etc.

Now AI will basically bitchslap all the physics simulations, some of which were not even possible on current "game" real-time computation. Hopefully no more hair/cloth clipping, amazing water/liquid/matter physics that run fast, etc.

AI will fix the final "oh, THIS is next gen", not pure rasterization performances.

MastaKiiLA

Based off? Also what's 'abuse'?
For the first question, SSDs have a write life. The second question is a good one though. We don't know the mean time before failure for the drive in the PS5. I think we can easily find it for the XSX externals though, given we know what they're using. Not sure what they use inside the console, unless it's the same thing.

I should add that I might be one of the few people in this forum who ever ran into the write life on an SSD. One of those first/second gen drives with small capacity.

Last edited:
Top Bottom