• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac Full Moon Show 25: Dan "Shoe" Hsu, Co-op I Want Your Job, and R2 update!

BryanI

J-Rzez said:
I'll skip over the Shoe crap, thank you very much. JS, can you guys score some guests from say like Sucker Punch, Slant 6, more Naughty Dogs, people like that? Or someone outside of development, perhaps like N'Gai? That's much more compelling than someone who personally made reviewers and their scores a joke.

Really? How so? I worked for Shoe for five years and I never felt like that.

Kittonwy

Banned
DCharlie said:
Seriously, you could do with a month or so out of character. :/

Yeah but it would be boring to have just another fucking "serious internet badass looking for teh respect", that is so played out.
Indifferent2.gif

tha_con

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Yeah but it would be boring to have just another fucking "serious internet badass looking for teh respect", that is so played out.
Indifferent2.gif

Shit...it's played out?

*searches for new role on NeoGAF*

Oh, and hello Bryan...come out to play with the lions? Take some strange pictures at Insomniac so I can make a damn theme already!! :p James hates me :'(

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Yeah but it would be boring to have just another fucking "serious internet badass looking for teh respect", that is so played out

<PA-mode>yeah, i could have tried to end the "Internet Furry Spaz" drought, but i think someone is providing a monson of relief</PA-mode>

anyways, i'll shut up now. Sorry for derailing the Insomniac thread guys.

Kittonwy

Banned
BryanI said:

Really? Everytime Shoe is on a show it's all like "HALO3 HALO3 HALO3" and recently now that HALO3 isn't "cool" anymore, it's all about COD4. Not that I have anything against HALO3 since I still think it's the best game on the xbox360, but as a Resistance player I'm not sure how someone who's never been interested in Resistance is relevant to my tiny little world since I really only listen to the podcast to get some news on games Insomniac makes and not listen to some ex-1UP personality, present company excepted of course.

If I want to listen to EGM people, I would tune into the EGM podcast which I don't. It would be great if we get someone who actually plays Resistance regularly, it's just a matter of relevance for me. I can't speak for the others but I like Insomniac because of their games, not because Ted is a great guy which I'm sure he is, if your games are great I'll keep buying them and supporting them, and I'll keep recommending them to everyone, like we've been doing with Resistance and how I've been doing with Uncharted, because I'm passionate about great games and not because I'm a fan of gaming media personalities, the games will always be most important because that's what I play and I'm sure to you they're something that the team has put a ton of hard work into, a lot of blood, sweat and tears goes into them and people buying them and going like "hey they're so good I'll fucking buy them twice" is more important than "I like listening to so-and-so because I'm such a big fan".
Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
tha_con said:
Shit...it's played out?

*searches for new role on NeoGAF*

Oh, and hello Bryan...come out to play with the lions? Take some strange pictures at Insomniac so I can make a damn theme already!! :p James hates me :'(

You're teh kurt russell that's all that matters.
Indifferent2.gif

tanod

when is my burrito
DCharlie said:
Seriously, you could do with a month or so out of character. :/

You should hear him on clan nights.

Canadian + beer + Maroon 5

That's all I'll say.

SRG01

Kittonwy said:
Really? Everytime Shoe is on a show it's all like "HALO3 HALO3 HALO3" and recently now that HALO3 isn't "cool" anymore, it's all about COD4. Not that I have anything against HALO3 since I still think it's the best game on the xbox360, but as a Resistance player I'm not sure how someone who's never been interested in Resistance is relevant to my tiny little world since I really only listen to the podcast to get some news on games Insomniac makes and not listen to some ex-1UP personality, present company excepted of course.

If I want to listen to EGM people, I would tune into the EGM podcast which I don't. It would be great if we get someone who actually plays Resistance regularly, it's just a matter of relevance for me. I can't speak for the others but I like Insomniac because of their games, not because Ted is a great guy which I'm sure he is, if your games are great I'll keep buying them and supporting them, and I'll keep recommending them to everyone, like we've been doing with Resistance and how I've been doing with Uncharted, because I'm passionate about great games and not because I'm a fan of gaming media personalities, the games will always be most important because that's what I play and I'm sure to you they're something that the team has put a ton of hard work into, a lot of blood, sweat and tears goes into them and people buying them and going like "hey they're so good I'll fucking buy them twice" is more important than "I like listening to so-and-so because I'm such a big fan".
Indifferent2.gif

Dammit Kittonz, you could at least splice that into seperate sentences. :lol

tanod

when is my burrito
Insomniac newsletter looks much much better this month. In the past Ive been getting duplicate copies for some reason though. Also, great podcast this week!

Can't wait to check out some R2 screens.

To the guy talking about how he thought Dan Shu was let go because he didn't have something lined up: You used Mark McD as an example. Mark McDonald didn't have anything lined up either. He freelanced for awhile, then did some contract work for Kojima Productions and now he works at 8-4 translating company with John TV in Japan.

When you get to the age where you have some savings, you can take sabbaticals in between jobs and do some things that you always wanted to do but don't get the chance to while you're working. That's life.

DCharlie

Really? Everytime Shoe is on a show it's all like "HALO3 HALO3 HALO3" and recently now that HALO3 isn't "cool" anymore, it's all about COD4.

although i see what you are saying , i'm almost chewing through my tongue here.

YOU of all people complaining about someone going on about a single game?

I'd have thought Halo 3 and COD4 were the relevant barometers for console FPS's (especially the online ones) no?

tha_con

Banned
DCharlie said:

I'd have thought Halo 3 and COD4 were the relevant barometers for console FPS's (especially the online ones) no?

Halo 3 and Resistance, IMO. CoD4 has a terrible online setup for it's party system / match making. Halo and Resistance are still unmatched, and that is one of the most important parts of an online shooter.

Wollan

*downloading*

R2 demo at Gamers Day (or PlayStation Day to be more correct) in London... Is it MP or SP?

Kittonwy

Banned
DCharlie said:

I like Resistance's online clan/party-based set-up.
Indifferent2.gif

DCharlie

Halo 3 and Resistance, IMO. CoD4 has a terrible online setup for it's party system / match making. Halo and Resistance are still unmatched, and that is one of the most important parts of an online shooter.

but the game itself ? surely COD4 by sheer sales volumes over 3 platforms and the fact that the game is -really- good online and brings some interesting ideas to the table means it should be discussed?

Given this is a Resistance developer run show, then i'm not sure how useful using Resistance is. I'd like to hear what is new over Resistance of course, but gameplay wise i think other -popular- FPS's are out there too.

Kittonwy

Banned
tanod said:
You should hear him on clan nights.

Canadian + beer + Maroon 5

That's all I'll say.

That and some goon from the other team picking up my rifle, I go hunt him down and take it back.
angry.gif

Wollan

My personal feelings is that COD4 is the most pleasing online fps shooter on the market atm.
Obviously not as feature complete as R1 or Halo 3 but the gameplay... soo good. And the perks system, so addictive (that's an aspect also reflected in MGO which goes even deeper with upgradable perks).

In any case, the Heat like moments in GTA4... unmatched in gaming.

/random

JB1981

My personal opinion is that Insomniac has a lot to prove with Resistance 2.

I know full well how the GAF clan feels about the game but it is not on the same level as COD4 or Halo 3. A great effort for its time, though.

The dedicated servers are pretty fantastic too.

tha_con

Banned
JB1981 said:

I know full well how the GAF clan feels about the game but it is not on the same level as COD4 or Halo 3. A great effort for its time, though.

The dedicated servers are pretty fantastic too.

haha, certified bullshit, and I expect nothing less.

R1 was great for it's time (not a great effort, wtf) and still holds true with it's superior netcode (which neither Halo 3 or CoD4 match).

CoD4 is amazing fun, and does a lot of new things with first person shooters, but let's face it: The hit boxes are HUGE (sniper rifle is quite obviously the biggest show for this) and the netcode isn't at all close to Halo 3 or Resistance. Then you get into the party system, which is a cluterfuck of madness...and you're left with an otherwise amazing shooter that keeps people coming back because of it's polish everywhere else.

I'd hardly put CoD4 in the same league as Halo 3 or Reistance when it comes to online performance and match making / party system.

But please, keep your ridiculous perks to CoD4. I prey to god none of the retarded last stand or martyrdom type BS hits R2. I prey.

Kittonwy

Banned
DCharlie said:
but the game itself ? surely COD4 by sheer sales volumes over 3 platforms and the fact that the game is -really- good online and brings some interesting ideas to the table means it should be discussed?

Given this is a Resistance developer run show, then i'm not sure how useful using Resistance is. I'd like to hear what is new over Resistance of course, but gameplay wise i think other -popular- FPS's are out there too.

It's not about having a Resistance circle-jerk, Resistance online has a ton to offer and is still the best on the PS3, especially in terms of having your party just go from game to game to game (all of them ranked where it matters) without people feeling like just another guy in the room, it's always about the group first and foremost, and not about going lonewolf. Some of us play the game so much that sometimes we can be very critical of how some weapons are tuned, and definitely have our most favorite and least favorite maps. The problem is that not exactly a lot of the gaming media personalities play a ton of Resistance to even talk about it in depth, or even comment on it to any significant extent.

JB1981

tha_con said:
haha, certified bullshit, and I expect nothing less.

R1 was great for it's time (not a great effort, wtf) and still holds true with it's superior netcode (which neither Halo 3 or CoD4 match).

CoD4 is amazing fun, and does a lot of new things with first person shooters, but let's face it: The hit boxes are HUGE (sniper rifle is quite obviously the biggest show for this) and the netcode isn't at all close to Halo 3 or Resistance. Then you get into the party system, which is a cluterfuck of madness...and you're left with an otherwise amazing shooter that keeps people coming back because of it's polish everywhere else.

I'd hardly put CoD4 in the same league as Halo 3 or Reistance when it comes to online performance and match making / party system.

But please, keep your ridiculous perks to CoD4. I prey to god none of the retarded last stand or martyrdom type BS hits R2. I prey.

Jesus, you have issues. Netcode in COD 4 is just as good as Halo (what's wrong with it?) and the party system is exactly the same as the two other games (what's different?)

The Jer

DCharlie said:

I don't think the point is that he is going on and on about one game as much as it is that the game he is going on and on about doesn't happen to be one of kittonz' favorite game. He is talking about games kitton doesn't particularly care about. If he was going on and on about a game kitton really liked, I don't think he'd mind.

I don't think he's saying that Halo 3 and COD4 are bad games, just that he, personally, doesn't like those games in particular.

And if he wants to listen to a podcast, he is going to listen to a podcast about the games he, personally, likes.

Of course, maybe that's not it at all. I don't want to be putting words in his mouth or anything...

The Jer

JB1981 said:

Halo 3 is a fricken awesome game and I haven't played COD4 yet, but I don't doubt that the game is ridiculously good.

Anyways, Halo 3 and COD4 may well be "superior" games (or whatever) compared to Resistance, but that would still make Resistance the third "best" console FPS in existence. Third best in existence is pretty fricken great last I checked. (And for a game that came out over a year ago....)

So, heck, if R2 comes out and it's only slightly better than Resistance and takes that slot of third or fourth or fifth slot of "best console FPS games in existence" then that is still really, really awesome and that still makes it an awesome game worth playing. (of course, I think R2 is going insanely awesome and a huge improvement over Resistance). So, there's nothing they need to "prove," they just need to make the best game they can and it doesn't have to be "better" than Halo 3 or COD4 or anything. They never stated they were going to make the best console FPS ever or a better game than Halo 3 or COD4, so they don't need to prove that then... they have no statements they need to back up and "prove."

J-Rzez

BryanI said:

You were on the other side of the fence. One review alone will prove how pour his style was and that he deserved no right to be in the position he was. He was viewed are your superior, the figure head, and that Gears review along with just about every single interview he was in was some form of dribble about "Halo 3, gamer score, resistance good - really(?), Halo 3, 360, don't care about anything else". He never added anything constructive to any discussion he was ever involved with, thus I tuned him out. That Gears review was terrible he did, and allowed people to overlook glaring issues that were not excusable while playing the game as they degraded the quality of the product on many levels.

That review heavily reflected what's wrong with journalism/reviews and was one of many reviews putting a black eye on scores. In fact the reviews we've been getting this gen finally got me to realize not to listen one bit to reviews and their scores because it very well may not reflect the product you get at the store. Perhaps like there's other motivations. Combine that with the Gamespot bullshit and everything's a mess.

Now we have stuff like GTA4 getting by with 10's though there are some pretty obvious quality issues. Soon we'll have developers not going that extra mile to refine the product and just shovel it out when it's "good enough".

Schrade

J-Rzez said:
You were on the other side of the fence. One review alone will prove how pour his style was and that he deserved no right to be in the position he was. He was viewed are your superior, the figure head, and that Gears review along with just about every single interview he was in was some form of dribble about "Halo 3, gamer score, resistance good - really(?), Halo 3, 360, don't care about anything else". He never added anything constructive to any discussion he was ever involved with, thus I tuned him out. That Gears review was terrible he did, and allowed people to overlook glaring issues that were not excusable while playing the game as they degraded the quality of the product on many levels.

That review heavily reflected what's wrong with journalism/reviews and was one of many reviews putting a black eye on scores. In fact the reviews we've been getting this gen finally got me to realize not to listen one bit to reviews and their scores because it very well may not reflect the product you get at the store. Perhaps like there's other motivations. Combine that with the Gamespot bullshit and everything's a mess.

Now we have stuff like GTA4 getting by with 10's though there are some pretty obvious quality issues. Soon we'll have developers not going that extra mile to refine the product and just shovel it out when it's "good enough".
Wow. I want to subscribe to your newsletter. Excellent points, all of them.

GTA IV is fun but it sure isn't a perfect 10. The graphics and several other issues hold it back. That's not stopping the major gaming press though :(

J-Rzez

Schrade said:
Wow. I want to subscribe to your newsletter. Excellent points, all of them.

GTA IV is fun but it sure isn't a perfect 10. The graphics and several other issues hold it back. That's not stopping the major gaming press though :(

Also, even if 10's don't necessarily mean perfect, the issues in there are significant enough to still warrant it a 9-9.5 tops. 10 is usually perceived as perfect by lots of people though, and if 10's perfect, this game's a solid 8.5-9

Ashhong

BryanI said:
Just to clarify: Shoe was promoted to Editorial Director of the entire 1UP Network, which meant he oversaw all the print (EGM, GFW) and online publications (1UP.com, GameVideos, MyCheats). With that much on his plate, he had to give up some responsibilities, hencing putting EGM in the capable hands of Jame Mielke. He wasn't "replaced" as you seem to be implying.

Hey wait, did Shoe just give up EGM to Mielke, or did he leave 1up completely? I think its the latter but your post almost makes me think its the former.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Poor Bryan. He didn't know going to Insomniac entailed going toe to toe with the crazies every day.

Cool podcast.

voltron

Jax said:
shoe's last egm podcast convinced me he was let go.... to be a bum? Everyone else that left had an offer. It was sort of telling

Wow arent you just so insightful. How the fuck would you know what happened.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Hey guys,

Just FYI, the Full Moon Show is being delayed this week. It may hit today, it may hit tomorrow. Will let you know when it's up.

JS

konrad77

jstevenson said:
Hey guys,

Just FYI, the Full Moon Show is being delayed this week. It may hit today, it may hit tomorrow. Will let you know when it's up.

JS
Damn, I guess I have to work at work tomorrow then instead of listening to you guys :D

Woo-Fu

Banned
podcast links off the insomniacgames website are down, any ETA? All I get is a "we'll be back soon!" paramagnus error page.

tha_con

Banned
jstevenson said:
Hey guys,

JS

Thursday suckage confirmed.

I look forward to these thursdays more than any PSN thursday. Bah.

G-Bus

Banned
Woo-Fu said:
podcast links off the insomniacgames website are down, any ETA? All I get is a "we'll be back soon!" paramagnus error page.

I wanted to go for a walk and listen to ep 25 :(

Hopefully it's up soon.

Top Bottom