• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac: Our ray-tracing is excellent and industry leading right now on console

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Pretty fly for an in-game model.

HMSbIyH.jpg

Rnlvj65.jpg

X42IkLW.jpg

J7fzF2e.jpg

Crazy! Imagine playing it natively and peeping into it! Man, I have 12 days more to wait.

dawson-creek-crying-gif.gif

Hudo

Because there needs to be wide consensus for something to be industry leading.

Industry leading doesn’t mean you have to like it.
Right, so where's the consensus on them having industry leading tech? So far, they've made a claim on Twitter which is of equal worth as my shitposting here (i.e. worthless). I have also written a raytracer and a pathtracer, so I could make the same claim, I guess.
Yeah, the game looks pretty but that's not enough to back this up. If there's a talk or papers they've published explaining why it is industry leading, that would be really cool, I am genuinely interested.

I will get shit for saying this but I don't see Digital Foundry as a reliable source to refer to. And I also wouldn't say that just because DF are saying it's good, that this automatically means this is now the consensus. DF have made some very good videos (especially about retro games) but also some bad videos.

Last edited:
I’m not seeing what’s so impressive about spider man - I didn’t really get it when I bought the original on PS4 either tho so - gotta be a taste thing. Those control shots look crazy but I feel like the most impressive part there is the destruction happening. I wanna see more of that type of stuff. Excited to see what ND, Sony Santa Monica and Guerilla are able to do with all this

Thirty7ven

Banned
Right, so where's the consensus on them having industry leading tech?

Seems to be a wide consensus that MM displays the best implementation of RT on consoles right now.

It helps that there isn’t a lot of competition sure, but it’s something we can witness for ourselves and compare. Their RT doesn’t seem to suffer from the problems that Watch Dogs Legion does for example.

Hudo

Seems to be a wide consensus that MM displays the best implementation of RT on consoles right now.

It helps that there isn’t a lot of competition sure, but it’s something we can witness for ourselves and compare. Their RT doesn’t seem to suffer from the problems that Watch Dogs Legion does for example.
I am not trying to stir shit up but you have introduced "consensus" as a metric. I don't see any "wide" consensus for MM having the best implementation of RT on consoles right now. Could you point me to it? Again, not trying to stir shit up. I am just curious.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I am not trying to stir shit up but you have introduced "consensus" as a metric. I don't see any "wide" consensus for MM having the best implementation of RT on consoles right now. Could you point me to it? Again, not trying to stir shit up. I am just curious.

By virtue of no one disagreeing with the statement I think its safe to assume everyone is either in agreement or indifferent.

This thread is the only place to gauge such a metric so looking through it......a consensus seems to have been reached.

Hudo

By virtue of no one disagreeing with the statement I think its safe to assume everyone is either in agreement or indifferent.

This thread is the only place to gauge such a metric so looking through it......a consensus seems to have been reached.
Ah, I understand. Ok, then. (I neither agree nor disagree because I don't know enough about their implementation)

duhmetree

This is the 'gold standard', so to speak, so far. ( For consoles )

I'm sure games will pass it in due time but the fact they made it looks this good at launch, is an EXTREMELY impressive feat.

I don't understand the arguments or what's being argued... A box that costs $399, produces this... You can have this for $399... thats absurd. I have a $3500 PC that can technically do better... do you comprehend the difference?

Last edited:

Black_Stride

This is the 'gold standard', so to speak, so far. ( For consoles )

I'm sure games will pass it in due time but the fact they made it looks this good at launch, is an EXTREMELY impressive feat.

I don't understand the arguments or what's being argued

The only "argument" is between these two statements:

Industry Leading on Console

and

Industry Leading outright.

Some believe this is the best realtime raytracing ever ever.
Others think its the best on console but not the best ever ever.
The very person who tweeted this out believes the later....that its industry leading on console...but not flat out industry leading.
But people who know better than someone who works at the place that implemented this raytracing believe its the best outright.

duhmetree

The only "argument" is between these two statements:

Industry Leading on Console

and

Industry Leading outright.

Some believe this is the best realtime raytracing ever ever.
Others think its the best on console but not the best ever ever.
The very person who tweeted this out believes the later....that its industry leading on console...but not flat out industry leading.
But people who know better than someone who works at the place that implemented this raytracing believe its the best outright.
I dont see how you can compare a $399 console vs a $3500 PC. There are different weight classes.... you cant compare and say a Heavyweight is a better because he'd beat a Bantamweight. Pound for Pound, Spiderman is arguably at the top. Spiderman is more impressive because of those limitations. They punch above their weight. Even then, there's not much of a library to compare it to.

VFXVeteran

Banned
That's SSS during gameplay, not cinematic. Look at her left knuckles.
491kzoj4p3951.jpg

I have no idea what this is. Photomode?

I am friends with the guy who developed all the shaders on the characters at ND. There are 2 versions of shaders for SSS. Cinematics and gameplay. The gameplay one is the much much lower quality one as expected. PS4 doesn't have the GPU power to implement the cinematic version one. In fact, I haven't really seen any game using the cinematic version of SSS. Cyberpunk is just an exception. There may be others but not to the levels of Cyberpunk.

If you really want to judge the SSS during gameplay.. stop with the photomode stuff and just rotate the camera around to the character and take a screenshot. That's what you'll get (just like I did with Cyberpunk).

In any case, my point stands. MM is using the basic SSS like all other games. There is no magic there at all.

Last edited:

I'm not saying you're wrong here, however... How many people here actually know what they're looking at AND are actually trying to be impartial?

I'd rather be judged for my arm wrestling technique by 5 people who DO arm wrestle than 1000 people who don't. Even if the 5 think I'm not the best and the 1000 want to worship me.

Black_Stride

I dont see how you can compare a $399 console vs a $3500 PC. There are different weight classes.... you cant compare and say a Heavyweight is a better because he'd beat a Bantamweight. Pound for Pound, Spiderman is arguably at the top. Spiderman is more impressive because of those limitations. They punch above their weight. Even then, there's not much of a library to compare it to.

Well thats the argument thats being made.

I agree with the statement that Miles Morales has industry leading RT on consoles.

But I cant agree with people saying its the Industry leader outright.....as you said its an unfair fight when even 3080s struggle to push a fuller bevy of RT features at 4K.
But read through the thread and you will see people saying its the best RT ever ever.....literally if no one said its the industry leader outright....this thread would be 2 pages long of people simply agreeing.
But someone gotta say its the best ever because reasons.

Point out how its not in the same class as something like Control and we are told we are wrong because Miles Morales has better textures or skin shaders, even if pretty much everyone in the industry agrees that with Remedy throwing pretty much every visual RT feature at Control its a true benchmark title of what RT is capable of.

Ive pretty much given up explaining that from an RT perspective, not artistic or textures or geometry or city scale or or pedestrian density or spidermans swing speed......just from an RT perspective Miles Morales isnt at the level of Control.

VFXVeteran

Banned
I’m not seeing what’s so impressive about spider man - I didn’t really get it when I bought the original on PS4 either tho so - gotta be a taste thing. Those control shots look crazy but I feel like the most impressive part there is the destruction happening. I wanna see more of that type of stuff. Excited to see what ND, Sony Santa Monica and Guerilla are able to do with all this

It's impressive because it's a PS exclusive. You can easily tell that with all the comments in this thread. It's not even subtle.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Well thats the argument thats being made.

I agree with the statement that Miles Morales has industry leading RT on consoles.

But I cant agree with people saying its the Industry leader outright.....as you said its an unfair fight when even 3080s struggle to push a fuller bevy of RT features at 4K.
But read through the thread and you will see people saying its the best RT ever ever.....literally if no one said its the industry leader outright....this thread would be 2 pages long of people simply agreeing.
But someone gotta say its the best ever because reasons.

Point out how its not in the same class as something like Control and we are told we are wrong because Miles Morales has better textures or skin shaders, even if pretty much everyone in the industry agrees that with Remedy throwing pretty much every visual RT feature at Control its a true benchmark title of what RT is capable of.

Ive pretty much given up explaining that from an RT perspective, not artistic or textures or geometry or city scale or or pedestrian density or spidermans swing speed......just from an RT perspective Miles Morales isnt at the level of Control.

And we've both been through this before. What you are trying to get out will never be admitted to. That's one of the main reasons I get into trouble a lot because I try to reason with the unreasonable. I still haven't learned my lesson.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I have no idea what this is. Photomode?

I am friends with the guy who developed all the shaders on the characters at ND. There are 2 versions of shaders for SSS. Cinematics and gameplay. The gameplay one is the much much lower quality one as expected. PS4 doesn't have the GPU power to implement the cinematic version one. In fact, I haven't really seen any game using the cinematic version of SSS. Cyberpunk is just an exception. There may be others but not to the levels of Cyberpunk.

If you really want to judge the SSS during gameplay.. stop with the photomode stuff and just rotate the camera around to the character and take a screenshot. That's what you'll get (just like I did with Cyberpunk).

In any case, my point stands. MM is using the basic SSS like all other games. There is no magic there at all.

Why is everything other than her face so blurry?

Black_Stride

And we've both been through this before. What you are trying to get out will never be admitted to. That's one of the main reasons I get into trouble a lot because I try to reason with the unreasonable. I still haven't learned my lesson.

Pretty much.
Every now and then a few people listen which alone is worth it.

Ill still fight the good fight and post for posterities sake, someone might read these posts down the line and understand why everyone who knows what they are talking about agrees that on console its a really good implementation.....in the grand scheme there are titles that already surpass this.

PaintTinJr

Agreed, but I bet the reason it was qualified for console is because they have PC workstations in their own studio with +£8,000 AMD SSG workstation GPUs with the SSD built on the side, which can probably push the same image at higher settings.

So IMO, the price is probably less important criteria, because I bet there's nothing running at double that 200watts getting anywhere close to that image quality, with low latency data streaming capabilities and able to load the data instantaneously below £8,000, and even then I bet the power draw on an SSG workstation is closer to 500watt than 400watt when rendering the same or better.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Christ compare those screenshots of an insanely detailed open world rocking some of the best RT I've seen in a game with the reveal of Halo Infinite.... Ya gotta give it to Sony's first party studios, they really are in a league of their own... I absolutely cannot fucking wait to see what SSM & ND have cooked up, having said that the guys that made Gears5 & Forza I really hope they're properly let loose on the SeriesX without being hobbled by having to support X1

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Sony fanboys love a Sony exclusive, News at 11.

PC fanboy can't help shitting on consoles, News at 12.

Someone not falling all over themselves praising a Sony exclusive is NOT shitting on consoles.
Telling the truth no matter how much you dislike it is NOT shitting on consoles.
The fact is high-end PCs are more capable than the PS5 no matter how much you want to deny it.

Top Bottom