• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac: Our ray-tracing is excellent and industry leading right now on console

Resenge

The fact is high-end PCs are more capable than the PS5 no matter how much you want to deny it.
I do not dissagree, but he is always negative because he has some butthurt problem with Sony fanboys. He admitted as much a few months ago about how much he enjoyed shitting on Sony fanboys because of some excuse or other, then edited the post because he realised how petty it looked.

He cheapens his opinion because of his petty hate for Sony, it's dissapointing. I am interested in the opinions of people in the know but find it hard to take him seriously due to this attitude.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Don't really care which company or game has the biggest "Ray tracing" dick, but I will say as someone who's been studying technology at an academic level for a few years now, that Stevenson is absolutely right about the "People online have no idea idea what they're talking about in regards to tech" comment. I consistently see poor troubleshooting advice (even at the top of Google searches), absolute regurgitated and recycled ignorance EVERYWHERE, and I'm still a beginner in the subject. It's really quite baffling, and if you don't know what you're talking about you seriously need to shut the fuck up. Bottom line.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
The Ultimate Universe was weird all the way around....dont blame america, blame Brian Michael Bendis, Warren Ellis and Mark Millar.

Miles ended up being an alright character....good enough he was pulled from the Ultimate Universe and brought into the mainline universe.

P.S There are a ton of Spiders in the Marvel canon. If a character in the Marvel universe is popular you can bet your ass they have multiple variants of said character.

2114145-1323112183.jpg

jeehyung-lee-marvel-spider-gwen-a.jpg

46485357_1763071053803802_6262985765601411072_n_1024x.jpg

I love Spider Gwen's design and I'm not even a comic book person. I hope she gets her own game.

ABnormal

So are DF bought out MS shills still, or are they honest people who should be believed?
It's kinda hard to follow nowadays.
Even if they would be shills of something, they would do acknowledge everything that is blatantly great, otherwise they would immediately lose credibility. They are very good on playing on the razor line.
Also John has never been biased towards MS.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Do you have any proof about this?
The chief engineer of Unreal engine 5 at Epic has been researching the tech used there for more than 10 years

You've already seen the proof. But here, in 2017:

No way EU5 is using the same tech 4 years later without licensing it from Sony Atom View. It was available btw for UE4 and Unity before Sony buying Atom View in 2019.

Last edited:

Umbral

If it’s so excellent and industry leading, give it to me with 60fps.

I’m kidding, I know that’s asking too much.

ethomaz

Banned
It is weird to have to say that when you can see the difference in RT implementation.

There is nothing at launch in terms of RT level like Mires Morales is delivering... it is way ahead others implementations.

Shmunter

It’s not just the RT in Spider-Man. Their gfx here and in Ratchet edge on being cgi like, unlike many other games despite throwing all manner of gfx techniques still look very video gamey. It’s not about the toolset, it’s about application of that toolset no different to any artistic medium.

That’s the sum and substance of it.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
RDR2 was better looking than either of them. I can't imagine what it would look like with actual ray tracing.

Miles Morales looks nice, bit it's not even remotely close to RDR2

I though Control was overrated graphically as well.

OsirisBlack

Banned
No. The SSS was of the garden variety just like in God of War. If you can only tell SSS on the ears then it's the crude approximation.
You could actually see it on fingers nose and ears in the order. Not saying it was the best thing since sliced bread but the tech was there.

Edited to add
When Galahad covers his communicator the light bleeds through his hands as well.

Last edited:

3liteDragon

Don’t know what people are arguing about here, the fact that we’re already seeing ray-tracing at launch for a cross-gen game is a really good sign for future games coming to the console, it’ll only get better from here. Insomniac imo did a terrific job with the implementation here and I appreciate it even more now after seeing how it’s implemented in WDL.

Last edited:

Shmunter

You could actually see it on fingers nose and ears in the order. Not saying it was the best thing since sliced bread but the tech was there.

Edited to add
When Galahad covers his communicator the light bleeds through his hands as well.
That's what gave that game that CGI pre-rendered quality, As far as I know only Naughty Dog and Insomniac bring together a package mimicking CGI as closely. May be forgetting others, happy to be corrected.

VFXVeteran

Banned

Edited to add

I would have to revisit that game. I don't remember it being anywhere near the level of Cyberpunk. And not cinematics.. I'm talking about the gameplay where I have complete control of the camera.

VFXVeteran

Banned
That is correct. Excellent VFX shaders & most accurate PBR and consistent texel density Implementation to date.

The game did have incredible PBR shaders that stood the test of time the entire generation. I'll give them that. It's a wonder that people completely ignore that this game competes in rendering quality even today. If it had RT, it would blow away most games out today.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The game did have incredible PBR shaders that stood the test of time the entire generation. I'll give them that. It's a wonder that people completely ignore that this game competes in rendering quality even today. If it had RT, it would blow away most games out today.

Maybe start a thread about whatever game that is? So we can come and shit on it like what you do on PS threads?:messenger_unamused:

Top Bottom