• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac really crushed it with the Combat System in the Spiderman games

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Man, that shit is FUN as hell.
No its not the deepest, or the most complex, but who gives a damn? It is simply incredibly fun.

The verticality on display in the environments, the entire environment itself being a weapon (you can remove the floor from under your enemies, drop fans on them, knock over pipes on them, etc), the ability to web up fools and swing them into the ocean, or into each other, the simple yet awesome combos, the air combat.. Not to mention the swinging adds such a unique flair to it all at any given moment.

It's incredibly fun, and Insomniac did a wonderful job here. I only wish Spiderman was more of a violent comic, so you could add in some blood and gore to all this badassery.

this is me kicking the shits in the game on ps5. :messenger_relieved:

GametimeUK

The weapon wheel for selecting abilities really dragged me out of it and killed the pace. Switching during takedown animations mitigated it a little bit.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Never played those games, but it kinda looks like it plays itself and you play with god mode on. Not true?

Dibils2k

i have platinumed MM and am 60% through the remaster (already have a plat on PS4)

80% of my next gen experience has been Spiderman, so yeah i am gonna have to agree 😆

Raonak

Banned
The combat was good in SM1, but adding the eclectic venom powers really amped up the combat quite a bit.

I'm hoping they somehow give Peter powerful moves like miles too in SM2.

Genx3

Insomniac really are Great Developers.
They can also deliver on time which makes them even more impressive.
Buying them up was a big win for Sony imo.

Certinty

It’s the best combat of any game I’ve ever played.

Simply put it’s fast, fluid and fun. Add to that the amazing animations, great gadgets, stealth which works, the usable environments and God knows what else, it’s a masterpiece.

Insomniac absolutely knocked it out of the park.

Dacon

Banned
The combat was the least fun part of the game for me, too much annoying shit.

EDIT: No I take that back that was the awful stealth sections.

Last edited:
It really is fantastic. I was playing on Sunday and going for the NG+ Trophy to pop my Platinum and felt like I was completely on a roll. Ended up cranking out a 162 combo. I know that other people have probably done larger combo's than that but that felt pretty good. I love the way you can just keep linking and linking and linking.

Agent X

I bought a physical copy of Spider-Man: Game of the Year Edition for PS4 in November of last year, but finally opened it up a few days ago. It truly is a great game. The combat is very well done for sure, but the entire package overall is superb.

DaGwaphics

It really is fantastic. I was playing on Sunday and going for the NG+ Trophy to pop my Platinum and felt like I was completely on a roll. Ended up cranking out a 162 combo. I know that other people have probably done larger combo's than that but that felt pretty good. I love the way you can just keep linking and linking and linking.

You're too good at this game, clearly. Probably better than me with one hand and blindfolded. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

You're too good at this game, clearly. Probably better than me with one hand and blindfolded. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Nah. Not really that good at all. I was hunting the 100 combo trophy earlier in the day and I had a lot of trouble getting there. I reached the nineties many times but then crumbled. It was just during the final sequence that I got the 162 and because it's rare for me to get such large combo's I felt pretty good about it so I remembered it. I'm sure there are better players that can do non stop combos for entire areas on the hardest difficulty and I'm only playing on Amazing the middle one.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Ehh no it’s the worst part of the game by far, oh no a fat guy!! He is just about invincible ! Lol. Oh it takes ten hits to knock out a normal guy?

Batman wants his horrible fighting system back.

-Arcadia-

Banned
It was cool and fresh when it was called Batman: Arkham Asylum.

These days, it’s a pretty standard system. It is fun and a good fit (for now — I hope developers keep pushing further with Spider-Man combat) though.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Gamers Maker Toolkit is embarrassed with OP

I mean, it's fun, but you master in like an hour or so

Ehh no it’s the worst part of the game by far, oh no a fat guy!! He is just about invincible ! Lol. Oh it takes ten hits to knock out a normal guy?

Batman wants his horrible fighting system back.

It's because spiderman doesn't want to actually hurt anyone so he's just slapping them around a bit until they give up.

Illo

The weapon wheel for selecting abilities really dragged me out of it and killed the pace. Switching during takedown animations mitigated it a little bit.
Its not the worst thing, its a remnant of theit experience with the R&C series

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I'm really impressed with it. It's fairly easy but you can't totally snooze your way through encounters and some of the extra challenges add a lot of fun difficulty (doing X number of stealth kills + Y throw kills, those things.)

Man, that shit is FUN as hell.
No its not the deepest, or the most complex, but who gives a damn? It is simply incredibly fun.

The verticality on display in the environments, the entire environment itself being a weapon (you can remove the floor from under your enemies, drop fans on them, knock over pipes on them, etc), the ability to web up fools and swing them into the ocean, or into each other, the simple yet awesome combos, the air combat.. Not to mention the swinging adds such a unique flair to it all at any given moment.

It's incredibly fun, and Insomniac did a wonderful job here. I only wish Spiderman was more of a violent comic, so you could add in some blood and gore to all this badassery.

this is me kicking the shits in the game on ps5. :messenger_relieved:

Isn't a rip-off of batman?

diffusionx

Gold Member
The best thing about it is that they managed to make it feel like Spiderman, but it's ultimately an iteration of the Batman combat.

Yea I wish it came out on PC too.

Top Bottom