• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac Teasing Sunset Overdrive Via Ratchet Promo Tie-In?

ManaByte

Gold Member
The Fizzie Twitter account is active after 3 years:

Its Happening The Office GIF by NBC

HoofHearted

It's a great game - just recently played a bit of it on my XSX not too long ago...

I'd give it another run on PS5 - I'm not paying $70 for it though..

sainraja

OH SNAP. I really hope this is true. I didn't get into the first game right away but I kept pushing through it and once you unlocked the boost ability the game really shines! It was my reason for getting the Xbox One when I did.

Sunset overdrive seems to have a hardcore following amongst xbox players, but I gave it a go myself on gamepass as soon as I got my XSX... and I really thought it was terrible. The dialogue, the presentation was just cringy.

Last edited:

skit_data

If they bring out a remaster of Sunset Overdrive as well on top of everything they’ve already done in the last 3 years... Well, then they are probably the most effecient studio I know of.

Last edited:

GHG

I'd rather they let this franchise die and they make a new game entirely.

Sunset Overdrive is some of their worst work.

HotPocket69

Banned
Sunset overdrive seems to have a hardcore following amongst xbox players, but I gave it a go myself on gamepass as soon as I got my XSX... and I really thought it was terrible. The dialogue, the presentation was just cringy.

The mobility and some of the weapons were cool and I loved the color pallete. Kinda reminded me of Bio Infinite.

But yeah, the dialogue, tower defense bullshit and the fact that was another open world checkbox game in a sea of open world checkboxes had me burning out quicker than I thought.

Arun1910

Eh.

I'm a big Insomniac fan but I managed to play Sunset Overdrive on PC a couple years back and it's really average, especially compared to what they're doing now with Spider-Man/Ratchet

yurinka

I think one of the dimensions in the game may be the Sunset Overdrive dimension so they could make a short cameo. Same goes with Sly Racoon (I hate Sly Racoon, let's hope it isn't the case) and maybe some other game.

They could even use it as a teaser for a potential PS+PC Sunset Overdrive remaster/port. But if it was for me, I wouldn't waste Insomniac's talent on Sunset Overdrive and would outsource the ports to someone else (and wouldn't make Sunset Overdrive 2).

After Ratchet, I'd like to see Insomniac focused on Spider-Man 2 (with Peter as main character again and featuring Venom) and after that to work on a -maybe VR friendly- new IP. And if they want to use another Marvel IP, then I'd want a X-Men (or Wolverine) game.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I think one of the dimensions in the game may be the Sunset Overdrive dimension so they could make a short cameo. Same goes with Sly Racoon (I hate Sly Racoon, let's hope it isn't the case) and maybe some other game.

They could even use it as a teaser for a potential PS+PC Sunset Overdrive remaster/port.

Insomniac is the most ridiculous bargain in history at a laughable $239M acquisition! What a studio!

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member

They could even use it as a teaser for a potential PS+PC Sunset Overdrive remaster/port. But if it was for me, I wouldn't waste Insomniac's talent on Sunset Overdrive and would outsource the ports to someone else (and wouldn't make Sunset Overdrive 2).
That would be much cooler than a remake of Sunset Overdrive.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
If there were one franchise I'd gamble on, revitalize, and use it as a back-end to combine Sony universes into one big universe, I'd bet on Ratchet and Clank.

Let's hope this time it's not a fighting game.

Papacheeks

Banned
Seems more than plausible.

But seriously, how many projects are they working on at the same time?

They have two full studios one in California the other in NC.

THEY ALSO HAve been beefed up since their purchase.

Sony is all in on them. Right now in terms of return value? I would have to believe Insomniac is most valued right now.

Also all these teases I wonder if they are just breaking the 4th wall and we see some of these worlds in the game as just little nods to other PlayStation franchises.

Last edited:

Banned

Spiderman = context sensitive gameplay designed so that casuals have no issue jist doing cool shit by random simply by holding down a single button...
fighting system being Batman but with webs.
and all in all not innovating in any way, being handholdy all the way to the end, with annoying sidestory mission with other characters.

meanwhile Sunset Overdrive, classic arcade feel inspired by Jet Set Radio. focis on skill based gameplay that rewards you for playing well by giving you cooler and better abilities the higher your combo goes and the better you chain stuff together, while punishing you for standing still and doing basic shooty shoot.

no handholding, no sidestory crap with boring gameplay and not a game that has been made 10 times already.

do sum it down:
Spider-Man = do cool stuff by holding down button
Sunset Overdrive = do cool stuff because you played well enough to even unlock the ability to do the cool stuff

Spider-Man may have been the best Spider-Man game ever, but the concept is not much different than the last dozens of Spider-Man games. it played it save

I platinumed Spider-Man so I'm not saying it's bad, but the only reason it is held in such a high regard, while the not that much worse Amazing Spider-Man 2 just a few years prior wasn't, is because it was a PS exclusive game published by Sony... and that's a fact.
it was a slightly more polished version of said game, and that's about it

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
If they bring out a remaster of Sunset Overdrive as well on top of everything they’ve already done in the last 3 years... Well, then they are probably the most effecient studio I know of.
Not just efficient but high quality also. They’re the premiere PS Studio in my opinion. Could realistically be talking Miles Morales/Spider-Man Remastered, Ratchet and SS:OD Remastered within 18-24 months of the PS5 launch. Just insane.

Top Bottom