• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac Teasing Sunset Overdrive Via Ratchet Promo Tie-In?

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
MS does not own the first game. Insomniac (at that time) wanted to maintain the rights to their IP. One of the reasons they didn't go with Sony. Microsoft only published the game and let them keep the IP rights.
All of this is true except the first sentence.

Insomniac kept the IP rights, but MS has the publication rights to the first game, which means that THAT game can only be published by MS (or with their permission). That means ports, remasters, etc.

Since Insomniac owns the IP, they can still do anything else they want with it; a sequel, a reboot, a crossover, an animated series, whatever. But the original game is a forever MS exclusive unless MS sells those rights.

Spidey Fan

Banned
Oh, that's interesting. I stand corrected? I wonder if it is exclusive because Insomniac wants to keep it that way (I know this doesn't make sense) or MS does owns the rights? I really thought that Insomniac owned the rights to the IP, the reason they want with Microsoft. Hmmm.....I suppose something changed? I even remember it being reported like that.
Xbox owns the publishing rights for it. Sony can't publish that particular game. Sony only owns the ip.
In a sense, they can't make a remaster. And Xbox can't use it on xsx.

sainraja

All of this is true except the first sentence.

Insomniac kept the IP rights, but MS has the publication rights to the first game, which means that THAT game can only be published by MS (or with their permission). That means ports, remasters, etc.

Since Insomniac owns the IP, they can still do anything else they want with it; a sequel, a reboot, a crossover, an animated series, whatever. But the original game is a forever MS exclusive unless MS sells those rights.
Yeah, my bad. I didn't know that was the case.

Killer8

Long maintained that Sunset Overdrive was a fun game that deserved a sequel. Later in the game when you have all the traversal abilities you can essentially move around the city without touching the ground. Might not seem like a big deal compared to Spiderman, but it was a rewarding unlock path to reach that point.

I wish they would stop spoiling the whole game. It would've been way more satisfying if we didn't know about it until we played the game. Ugh. So dumb.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
All these tweets are awesome.

You are as well, my Cat Lady.

season 4 starz GIF by Outlander

emivita

Weren't they making a Sly Cooper TV series? In that case, a new Sly Cooper game isn't impossible, so maybe it's not random teasing and PS Studios are actually developing all of the games teased.

Seth Meyers Please GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Sunset overdrive seems to have a hardcore following amongst xbox players, but I gave it a go myself on gamepass as soon as I got my XSX... and I really thought it was terrible. The dialogue, the presentation was just cringy.
Really I thought the aesthetic was great but the actual gameplay wasn’t very fun (similar to most insomniac games for me honestly, except resistance and possibly spider man)

They're sooo desperate to turn this rift thing into some " never before seen extraordinary not possible on any other machine" aren't they?

clintar

They are just gonna have random short switches to "alternate dimensions" that are cameo bits of other PlayStation IPs, or maybe just random objects/characters having cameos.

Larxia

meanwhile Sunset Overdrive, classic arcade feel inspired by Jet Set Radio. focis on skill based gameplay that rewards you for playing well by giving you cooler and better abilities the higher your combo goes and the better you chain stuff together, while punishing you for standing still and doing basic shooty shoot.

no handholding, no sidestory crap with boring gameplay and not a game that has been made 10 times already.

do sum it down:
Spider-Man = do cool stuff by holding down button
Sunset Overdrive = do cool stuff because you played well enough to even unlock the ability to do the cool stuff
Thank you!
I don't understand why so many people call this game bad or mediocre, I really thought it was amazing and it's definitely one of my favorite games ever.
The gameplay is fantastic, the objectives, the freedom you have, it really gave me the feeling of an arcade game that I didn't feel for like 15 years, tony hawk level of enjoyment, and I really, really missed that.

I don't think there is one single thing I didn't like in Sunset Overdrive, I enjoyed doing absolutely everything in it and never got bored once, which is why I can easily consider it one of my favorite games, because there are tons of other games that I loved, but that had stuff I didn't like, because I mean that's just how it is, all games can have some tedious part even the games you really like, but this just didn't happen with Sunset Overdrive for me, it was perfect from start to end.

I think the biggest reason people might not enjoy Sunset Overdrive is that most people don't even try to actually have fun with it. Like you said, it's a very arcade game, and the quality of the experience totally relies on how involved you will be with the gameplay, if you just do the bare minimum to complete it, without trying to do cool looking stuff or just having fun, the experience won't be the same.

I know this very well because I only played this game for the first time a year ago, and I never thought I would like it that much, because when I was watching videos of it, it looked so much slower and more boring than the experience I had, it's super hard to find actual good gameplay videos of this game, because most people just play it like a dead rising game with more movements, instead of the crazy fast paced / vertical experience it can be.

I personally didn't record a lot of gameplay so I don't have a lot of stuff to compare, but here's a little example of one scene.

And the same scene by another person

The second one looks like a much slower paced game, so like I said, it just depends on how you actually involve yourself with the gameplay and how you are willing to have fun or not with it.

Also some free roam fun just because :messenger_heart:

I also think the game plays a lot better with keyboard and mouse than controller, because of the added freedom with camera movement, being able to instantly turn around or change weapons without pauses etc.

EDMIX

Seems more than plausible.

But seriously, how many projects are they working on at the same time?

Who knows, they are a pretty big team and I'd say literally one of the most proficient teams in all of gaming.

Seriously look at their releases on PS3, that shit was on RARE's level, they are the only team to my memory that still has a solid output. They basically released Resistance, Ratchet, Resistance, Ratchet etc all while maintaining great quality and pushing the tech. So if you told me they have Spiderman 2 next year, Sunset Overdrive 2 after and then Ratchet the year following, sir....I would not be shocked even remotely. Many questioned how good Ratchet and PS5 would be considering they JUST released that Spiderman game........any other time I might agree that its concerning, this team is on a different level. I don't even know if you can even replicate wtf is going on there lol

sublimit

Banned
:sick: :sick: :sick:
I hope they don't waste money,time and resources on a sequel. It's going to flop harder than the first game.

Drewpee

Banned
Cant wait for the same people that shat on sunset overdrive and called it a mediocre game to praise it to high heavens.

(its mediocre)
Was just thinking this lol it is awesome that the game will have more exposure though, I dont agree at all that it was only mediocre. Definitely one of my favorite exclusives Xbox had last gen.

Kokoloko85

I prefer a new Sly Cooper, Jak n DAxter game. Even though they are made by different studios.

Id love a new Jak n Daxter mixing the gameplay from the 1st and 2nd. More platforming and levels like the first but also JND2 gameplay/world

A SSO sequel on PS5 is one of the few things I’d maybe get jealous of. I really liked the first game on X1, and I’m hoping it gets an FPS boost to 60 on XSX.

One thing they should “fix” in a sequel though should be to add options for speedy ground travel. You should be able to use roller blades or something because the only thing I hated about the first was landing on solid ground and having all the momentum be lost.

GuinGuin

Banned
What it looks like is the Rhino can summon any number of different characters from other franchises? If so that's the SSD at work. The models aren't stored in RAM they are just pull from the SSD as needed.

Nobody was asking for this give us Socom.... There have been no realistic tactical shooters in over a generation on consoles.

Last edited:

Okamiden

Why the fuck they are spoiling all those cool easter eggs. Cmon insomniac, what's the fun in that if you know all those cool things in advance. Fucking Jim Ryan

EDMIX

Oh man, I would effing love to see Sunset Overdrive on a PS console.

Love Insomniac games, always wanted to try this one.

Sony keeping Bluepoint games busy lol

It might be done in house by Insomniac though. I'm sure the PS community will love it, but I hope Sony doesn't see its low sales as an indicator that the community doesn't want the series, it might be hard to sell a game years later that anyone could have just seen online for years or bought on PC, XONE etc. So I hope that is factored and I assume it will be as I don't see it moving massive units. I'm not surprised at Bloodborne though, we all knew that shit was coming lol

Top Bottom