• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac: "We seriously considered making Resistance 4"

I'm glad they decided to end it at R3 to be honest.

"We decided to bring Resistance to a conclusion when we looked ahead and realized that Resistance 4, while possible and something we seriously considered, wasn’t going to be the right game for us at that time," Price said. "We wanted to do something new."

"One of the aspects of building franchises, and sticking with them for a long time is that even the team can get franchise fatigue. We had been pushing hard with Resistance from the beginning--which was a tough birth--to Resistance 3, which is a game we were all very proud of," he added. "With Resistance 3 it felt like we had capped off, or at least closed a major chapter in that franchise. So, a lot of the team was looking forward to doing something different."

Gamesradar

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
:(

R3 was one of the best FPS this gen and the point where the series finally lived up to it's potential. I'd love to see another one but considering Sony has pretty much officially retired it I don't see it happening.

Valtýr

I have no doubt in my mind there will most definitely be a Resistance 4 at time point during the PS4's life time.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
to me this sound like they are really think that Fuse will bomb very hard and they need to go back to Resistance.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I would have taken a Resistance 4 after seeing them finally get the franchise right with Resistance 3. Not a fan of the first two at all.

MYE

Wait, Resistance 3 is good? I mostly heard bad things about it from some posters and got the impression the rest didnt give a shit

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I loved the trilogy, I think 3 was the best... but I don't need anymore.

I also would assume they don't own the franchise.

You don't have to assume. Sony made two non-Insom Resistance games last gen (Retribution and Burning Skies). Well, I guess BS was this gen.

(they were both better than resistance 2 :troll)

Chuck

Still without luck
R3 is really good though...

Resistance 3 is totally decent, but R1 was kind of bad and R2 was god awful. The fiction was always completely uninteresting outside the core concept they never took anywhere cool.

Simply, I would have much rather them made something else. I have a similar feeling toward Fuse, but we'll see how that turns out.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, Resistance 3 is good? I mostly heard bad things about it from some posters and got the impression the rest didnt give a shit

Resistance 3 is fantastic, a very enjoyable experience. Well worth your time. I always thought the combat (well everything overall) in the first two games was pretty poor - unsatisfying weapons (in terms of their sound and feedback), poor enemy hit reactions and overall pretty mediocre. They really stepped it up for R3 though you couldn't get much worse than R2 anyway.

Concept17

R3 is godlike. R1 had amazing multiplayer and was a great launch title, if not the best launch title in memory.

R2 was pretty much garbage. It had a few nice moments, and the co-op was cool, but that was about it.

I'm okay with no Resistance for awhile. Let the franchise take a break.

lantus

I would rather they come up with ideas for a new action platformer and/or continue to make better and better Ratchet games.

Jigolo

RFoM takes the cake for me. Probably 2nd most played online game this gen. One of my favorite shooters this gen. Resistance franchise is awesome.

Rooftop Villains 4 life. [RV]

RiverBed

Banned
If after Fuses fails they go back to Resistance, then Insy is dead.
Insy dropped off my radar the second I first saw R1 at GDC...

This is a studio that used to impress me with every aspect of a game. Resistance is lacking on so many levels and Fuse looks like those no-name garbage games you see in pawnshops. Insy is talented. I just don't know what they hell went wrong and made them do Resistance and Fuse...

P.S. For those who'd say 'wait and see how Fuse does first', I tell them Fuse is giving me the same feeling I had with R1 before that game even released and I felt the same till they finally let that IP die and created a new one. I got so excited about a brand new IP from Insy till I saw the first of Fuse...

There used to be a time where Insy was synonymous with ND....

Grisby

I thought Resistance 3 was fun but still very average in a lot of parts. I do feel like they finally hit a happy medium in the search for that franchise's identity though.

The weapons could be all sorts of crazy on the ps4.

Massa

Even if 1 and 3 were great, and 2 was decent, the franchise was grossly mishandled. You can't just keep making drastic changes with every entry and expect to retain your userbase.

Hopefully they learned their lesson.

ohlawd

Are they serious? Lay off the Resistance, shit's gross.

Give me another Ratchet & Clank. Fuck sales, at least I know the game will be gold.

AlexBasch

Was 1 good to 2006-7's standards? I downloaded the demo to check it out and it feels atrociously dated, even compared to some PS2's shooters. I almost bought the series collection but held back because I didn't like 1 at all, didn't bother to download the other demos, if there are any.

Xyber

My opinion isn't worth that much, I only played the demo of R3 when I had a PS3 for a while, but that felt (and looked) pretty bad. And some of you guys are saying it's great? It just felt like a generic shooter with some interesting guns to me. I'd rather have them not make more shooters.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Are they serious? Lay off the Resistance, shit's gross.

Give me another Ratchet & Clank. Fuck sales, at least I know the game will be gold.

I always think it's funny when I see these posts since Insomniac has only made three Resistance games but they've done eight R&C games.

You don't have to assume. Sony made two non-Insom Resistance games last gen (Retribution and Burning Skies). Well, I guess BS was this gen.

(they were both better than resistance 2 :troll)

To be fair I don't think it was Insomniac that developed those 2 games.

Also the coop in R2 made up for the lackluster game and 3 redeemed the entire series.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
It's okay Insomniac. We don't need more first person shooters.

Sony will likely have a different developer make it. Insomniac doesn't have to do what Sony says, as they are not owned by them.
Sony needs to chill with the shooters. I'm certain there won't be another Resistance game.

Salz01

3 was down right horrible. 1st was the best. They should remake that one. I can't remember two, so it must have been bad too.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Resistance 2 wasn't awful. It's the most ambitious game Insomniac have ever made on consoles. I guess not many share my opinion though, but yeah, I loved Resistance 3's single player a lot.

The IP is not commercially viable anymore, people just aren't interested in it. For all the talent Insomniac has, I can't believe they went ahead and made a pointless game like Fuse. Not many studios get the chance to create a new IP so late in a console generation. It's a massive missed opportunity.

MYE

Resistance 3 is fantastic, a very enjoyable experience. Well worth your time. I always thought the combat (well everything overall) in the first two games was pretty poor - unsatisfying weapons (in terms of their sound and feedback), poor enemy hit reactions and overall pretty mediocre. They really stepped it up for R3 though you couldn't get much worse than R2 anyway.

All lies, Resistance 3 was fan-fucking-tastic.

hmm, I see it dirt cheap everywhere. Maybe I'll give it a shot next time I see that lovely boxart.

ohlawd

I always think it's funny when I see these posts since Insomniac has only made three Resistance games but they've done eight R&C games.

Most of those R&C games have quality all over them.

No quality in the Resistance games.

Hmmm which one would I prefer? Lemme put on my thinking cap.

Mileena

Banned
Should have stopped at 1, but I'm certainly glad I don't have to worry about the franchise tainting PS4's lineup
for now at least

Top Bottom