• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Installation 01 (Halo Fan game) gets blessing from 343i

wwm0nkey

So I thought this was really cool of 343 and MS, granted Installation 01 has been staying within the guide lines that MS laid out, for them to actually talk to the fan game creators is super nice. For those of you who haven't seen a trailer, you can watch it HERE

Link:

343 Industries prides itself on following community and fan activity, and as such Installation 01 has not gone unnoticed by the great Halo gods in the sky. Well, in Redmond, Washington. But close enough. After sending 419 pictures of Bean’s face via fax machine, they finally caved and gave us a response. It turns out they think we’re pretty dope. We’ve been in contact with some representatives from 343 for a little while now, and we’re excited to finally be sharing this with all of you!

Recently, our mascot, Creative Director TheChunkierBean, along with Project Manager Church (but not from RvB don’t sue us) were invited to a shady backdoor deal in which they exchanged the entirety of Installation 01’s source code for a lifetime supply of baked beans. Unfortunately, the deal went sour and they instead opted for a simple Skype call with some of the 343 staff and their burly legal bodyguards. We can’t really release the details of said call, but Church can say this:

“Installation 01 has been maintaining a level of contact with 343 Industries over the past several months. We initially reached out to a company representative and spoke with him about getting into contact with Microsoft/343's legal department to answer a few inquiries we had about the legality of our project. This representative has acted as a kind of liaison between our team and 343 since then, and we have maintained a level of transparency with 343 Industries (through our contact) regarding Installation 01's plans, the scope of the project, our goals, and how we as a team aim to meet and support those goals long-term.

Over the past few months, we've shared details of our development plans with 343: our release schedule, planned content, and more. Up until very recently, this was a one-way street, with us sending them information and them thanking us for maintaining contact and keeping them informed. This changed recently. 343 Industries gave us an opportunity to participate in a call with a few company higher-ups to engage in a meet-and-greet and involved discussion about the future of our project. They also gave us an opportunity to ask a lot of questions about the ongoing legal status of the project.

We are happy to announce that the outcome of the call was both incredibly informational and very positive! Through these interactions we have been ensured that Installation 01 is not under imminent legal threat, provided we remain non-commercial in nature and scope, and continue to follow Microsoft’s Game Content Usage Rules to the letter. We are now able to say with certainty that Installation 01 will never be accepting donations. We also will not be selling i01 or Halo related merchandise. This is to keep a respectful distance between us and Microsoft’s intellectual property. It is also important to note that these rules and assurances from 343 are specific to Installation 01 as a project, and should not be interpreted to apply elsewhere. Through ongoing communication with 343 Industries we hope that we, as a fan project, can continue to be a positive driving force within the Halo community.”

– Church, Project Manager & Lead

I'm actually very proud of Microsoft on this one.

I've seen Nintendo kill various promising fangames to protect their IP. (I don't blame them for this, but it can be disappointing...)

Wow this is great! It's lovely to see such a positive response from developers over a fan game!

Other publishers/developers have shut down fan games! :(

Blam

Great job, Microsoft.

image.php

tbh Though I thought these details were already known that none of these projects will be C&D if they were free and didn't take any money at all.

But nice to know they've been in contact with 343i.

Van Bur3n

That's pretty cool. Most would have shut this down in a heartbeat (Nintendo). Nice to see they're letting fans contribute to the Halo universe with their own game.

Hulud

This is awesome. I bet this will make it easier for them to recruit talent too. Devs want to feel secure that Microsoft isn't gonna swoop in and suddenly shut them down.

Nutter

343 is widely disliked by Halo fans so doing anything positive at all goes in the win column.

By which Halo fans?

The lame people who cant get over Halo CE? or how about that cheaters heaven known as Halo 2? Or do you mean the slow as shit Halo 3? Or perhaps you mean the Bloom and loadout fans of Halo from Reach?

H5 campaign suffered, but MP wise, it shits all over previous games.

Sephzilla

By which Halo fans?

The lame people who cant get over Halo CE? or how about that cheaters heaven known as Halo 2? Or do you mean the slow as shit Halo 3? Or perhaps you mean the Bloom and loadout fans of Halo from Reach?

nah

Van Bur3n

By which Halo fans?

Maybe the Halo fans who weren't fond of how Halo 4 and MCC turned out.

iFirez

By which Halo fans?

Halo 5's multiplayer gameplay was amazing. It's just a shame that I hate the way the spartans look and the card system is so eh. 343 have done amazing stuff for forge and multiplayer in general, I actually really like Warzone and WZ FF. I just hope they embrace what CA did with Halo Wars 2 in terms of a visual style, it felt much more like Halo to me.

Sephzilla

Halo 5 had some pretty solid gameplay ideas but i thought the map design was pretty terrible and I didn't like the feel of a lot of the guns. I actually prefer the Halo 2 Anniversary Multiplayer over it. But anyways that's honestly not on topic for this thread. We should be celebrating a fan game being embraced instead of destroyed

Dynasty

They've confirmed they are never going go for donations for the project. I wonder if MS are funding them partially in someway.

Ominym

Banned
By which Halo fans?

I mean, you can have that opinion, yes. It doesn't make yours the objective truth.

Anyway, that's really cool of 343i/Microsoft as it's great to see them have a cool head about it. Maybe they can pick some if not all of the people involved up if it does well.

Marcel

By which Halo fans?

Maybe you conveniently forgot while being a stan for Halo 5 multiplayer but Halo 4 and MCC's mistakes did more to hurt the franchise than Halo 5 multiplayer did to help it.

Brannon

By which Halo fans?

uTewP8Y.jpg

You have danced around it masterfully

By which Halo fans?

None of my friends play Halo anymore and I haven't met one gamer since who has prefers the new direction Halo is taking (edit: actually I did meet one guy who loved Halo 4's MP the most somehow...). 343i did make a very polished multiplayer and it was one that I enjoyed, but Halo doesn't feel like Halo anymore and it really shows when looking at the amount of players who dropped out circa Halo 4. Recently I've went back to MCC and have been having an absolute blast (when it works). The list of wants from the Halo community is pretty simple, and this fan project seems to be delivering on a lot of them. Hopefully 343i can follow in suit, and if not then I hope they venture into a new IP because they don't deserve the amount of criticism they get for making good games that don't fall in line with what its players expect from the franchise. There are a lot of talented people at 343i and I'm sure they could make something incredible, but needing to constantly battle with Halo's community is just holding them back.

Marcel

Yeah. It really should be commended though that they are not going to have any trouble making their fan game... unlike Nintendo who would almost certaintly be assholes about this.

Shock headline: Nintendo is backwards and stupid about something that exists in the modern gaming world.

Caayn

Although I'm not a fan of 343i, I'm happy with this news and think that it's a good decision by them.

Top Bottom