• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Instant Pot (Pressure Cooker) is amazing aka suggest me more recipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

reKon

Banned
Thread needs more pictures. My pressure cooker is still in the box from when I ordered one last year. After I move and get settled, I'll probably play around with this thing and wonder why I hadn't sooner. Watch it not work on the first time using, lol...

Cool. I'll have to try experimenting with eggs more. I still cook them the old fashioned way.

I don't know where I even put that trivet. Did one come with the pot?

Yes, a trivet comes with it.
One of the best things with doing eggs in the IP is that they always come out easy to peel.

SpecX

Haven't been using it much as before, but it makes one great bean cooker. Put on some pintos last night with smoke ham and an hour later it was ready to eat. Still worth every penny spent for how quick and easy it is to use.

Is there a difference between Instant Pot and any other pressure cooker?

One big thing is that it has a "saute" and "slow cooker" option as well as pressure cooking.

So you can saute your onions and brown your chicken, and then just dump in your spices/sauces into the same pot for pressure cooking.

Belker

I put a whole chicken in the pot the other day, filled with 3/4 stock (with bird in, breast side down) and set it to slow cook for two hours on high.

Came out perfectly, could literally pull the bones out with my fingers.

I like the machine so much even recommended it to a vegetarian as we were flying across Bolivia in a helicopter, to mark some supplies for rebels fighting narco traffickers.

Thread needs more pictures. My pressure cooker is still in the box from when I ordered one last year. After I move and get settled, I'll probably play around with this thing and wonder why I hadn't sooner. Watch it not work on the first time using, lol...
I didn't open mine up until like six weeks after I got from Amazon. It freaked me out at first when it couldn't reach full pressure like three days before the return period ended. What I learned from that was to make sure the silicone sealing ring is properly installed (try rotating it a little after putting it on), the vent is sealed and the water level isn't too close to 10 cups. Also, high heat sauteing a couple cups of water-vinegar solution and setting the instantpot to manual for five minutes afterwords will loosen up pretty much any gunk in the instantpot.

I put a whole chicken in the pot the other day, filled with 3/4 stock (with bird in, breast side down) and set it to slow cook for two hours on high.

I like the machine so much even recommended it to a vegetarian as we were flying across Bolivia in a helicopter, to mark some supplies for rebels fighting narco traffickers.

Two hours?! Only needs 25 minutes, my man. Unless it was frozen solid, and even then, nowhere near two hours.

You don't casually end a sentence with Clear and Present Danger shit

What was wrong with it?

It just ended up with zero flavor, it was.. weird. Like the chicken felt done, but it had an absence of flavor. Maybe close to boiled chicken with a light dusting of Indian flavor? I ate a bowl, but ended up giving the rest to the dogs, and I went to the local Indian place for take out LOL.

Damn that's like my favorite thing to make lol. I even posted a butter chicken recipe on the last page

That's our favorite! I will go look for sure.

Check these out. Tried them all and loved them all.

Awesome, thank you, will pass these along!

You don't casually end a sentence with Clear and Present Danger shit

Hahahaha.. Ghost Recon: Wildlands

Next level cooking show idea

btrboyev

So the latex seal ring is pretty much shot after a few times using this thing. It holds in the smell of the food you just cooked and then it seeps into the next food you make

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
So the latex seal ring is pretty much shot after a few times using this thing. It holds in the smell of the food you just cooked and then it seeps into the next food you make

That is the case for pretty much any pressure cooker, not just the Instant Pot. But the smell seeping into other dishes? That sounds like you may have left some food gunk somewhere.

Anyhow, from the official site:

How do I remove the food smell from the sealing ring?

The Instant Pot sealing ring is made from silicone rubber, which is more durable than natural rubber based products. Silicone may pick up food scents during cooking. While many people are not troubled by this characteristic of silicone and do not find that flavors transfer, some people are more sensitive to it.

To remove the smell, you can ”steam clean" your Instant Pot by adding 2 cups of water or white vinegar and some cut-up lemon rind, and running the ”Steam" program for 2 minutes with the sealing ring in place, then allow the sealing ring to air dry. Alternatively, you may remove the sealing ring, and put it into your dishwasher. High temperature and strong detergent will usually remove most smells; however certain highly acidic foods may leave a residue. Some people have had success first soaking the silicone ring overnight in either white vinegar, or lemon juice, or bleach, or tomato juice, and then running it through the dishwasher. Others have found that storing the ring in a plastic bag with ground coffee or baking soda is effective, and finally some have found that using ”Hunting Odor Eliminator" from a sporting goods store is effective.

Many people like to have one sealing ring for highly scented/spicy foods and one for mild/sweet foods with fewer odors. It is recommended to always have a second sealing ring on-hand for other reasons as well, like a spare tire, as no pressure cooking can be done should the sealing ring fail. You can purchase additional sealing rings at

Soulfang

Neo Member
I love my Instant Pot! Here's a recipe for bolognese that I tweaked pretty heavily from Gordon Ramsay's take on the dish. I used to make this recipe on the stove top in a Dutch oven, but since I like to let it simmer for a few hours, it would take forever to get to where I wanted it. Enjoy!

Ingredients
  • 2 onions, 2 carrots, 16oz crimini mushrooms
  • 3 cloves of finely chopped/pressed garlic
  • 2 pounds ground beef
  • 2 28oz cans of San Marzano tomatoes
  • 1 tbsp tomato paste
  • Half a bottle of cheap red wine (I usually use Two Buck Chuck Cabernet Sauvignon or something cheap from Costco)
  • 2 tbsp Better than Boullion beef stock paste (alternatively, maybe a couple of cups of beef stock--be careful if your beef stock is salty!)
  • 2 bay leaves
  • Salt, pepper, oregano, parmigiano reggiano
  • A few dashes of Worcestershire sauce
  • Olive oil

Recipe
  1. Clean and slice the mushrooms. Chop the onion and carrots along with the typically tough mushroom stems in a food processor until the mixture resembles a fine mince. Alternatively, grate the onion/carrots like Gordon does or chop everything finely if you're not lazy.
  2. Engage the sauté function on your Instant Pot. Add olive oil, then add the onion, carrots, and mushrooms to the pot. Season liberally with salt, pepper, and oregano, and cook until all of the liquid from the onions and mushrooms has evaporated and the pot is essentially dry. Then sauté a bit more until the mixture browns a bit and some fond builds up in the pot. Patience is a virtue.
  3. Add in the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds or so, until fragrant. Be careful not to burn it, because burnt garlic is a terrible thing.
  4. Add the ground beef and season liberally with salt and pepper. Ground beef tends to have a decent amount of water in it, so use the liquid that the salt draws out to deglaze the vegetable fond currently built up on the bottom of the pan. Don't worry too much about the beef "going gray" like Gordon talks about; we're going to brown it once all the liquid is gone, and the texture will be fantastic after the pressure cooking. Continue cooking until any water given off from the beef cooks out and you get a chance to brown the beef a bit. Again, make sure to build up some fond at the bottom of the pan.
  5. Make some room in the pot and add the tomato paste so it makes direct contact with the bottom of the pot. Cook it for a minute or so. It's really important that you cook out the tomato paste so it loses that raw, acidic flavor. Then stir to coat the meat/vegetable mixture in the paste.
  6. Add half a bottle of red wine and the Better than Bouillon paste. Scrape up all the fond off the bottom, and reduce until the wine has pretty much all evaporated.
  7. Add the San Marzano tomatoes and the bay leaves. Put on the lid and set the Instant Pot to meat/stew mode for 60 minutes.
  8. Once time is up, depressurize and remove the bay leaves, discarding them. Break up the tomatoes if you'd like, then add a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce and a ton of grated parmigiano reggiano. Salt and pepper to taste and serve on top of your favorite pasta. Enjoy!

Alternative Recipe for Lazy People
  1. Sauté whatever vegetables you want in your sauce (onions, carrots, mushrooms) and season liberally with salt, pepper, and MSG.
  2. Add ground beef. Season liberally with salt, pepper, and MSG and brown.
  3. Dump in enough premade jarred pasta sauce to cover all your ingredients.
  4. Put Instant Pot on meat/stew mode for 60 minutes.
  5. Enjoy delicious sauce powered by glutamates.

ReAxion

soaking the sealing ring in hot soapy water + white vinegar has been working for me. i also ordered a twin pack of new sealing rings so i have a rotation going.

I never thought I'd be interested in recipes but with the pressure cooker I am. I've been cooking salmon and chicken so far but want to expand.

0NF7tUl.jpg

Made lava cakes in the Instant Pot for the first time last night, and they turned out great. Next time, I'll do 6 or 7 minutes on manual instead of 8, in order to get more of the "lava" inside.

Anyone else tried these?

Just bought one from Kohl's

It's on Sale for $99 plus stacking 30% off code BEACH30 & Free ship code JUNESHIP drops it to $70 (plus you get $10 Kohl's cash to use after the 19th) but you need to be a Kohl's Card holder (plus I got a anniversary gift from Kohl's in the mail, I don't know if that comes to everyone the same month or various times throughout the year)

I don't have the Instant Pot, but my mom gave me her brand new Nesco PC6-25 Digital Pressure Cooker that she never uses. I just used it for the first time.

Update: ~6 months later this thing just crapped out. Looking on Amazon, 24% of the reviews are either 1 or 2 stars, and now I see why. Apparently Nesco's customer services is shit too. Not even going to bother to try for a replacement. Pretty fucking shameful for an $80 appliance. I'm gonna buy an Instant Pot.

Ashhong

I'm planning on using this thing tonight to meal prep some frozen chicken thighs. Does anybody have any good, super simple recipes with minimal ingredients? I don't have much at home, just your basic seasonings and such.

Also, do I need that wire pan thing that goes on the bottom? I dont have it on me and most of the recipes I read online suggest that I need it

edit: I guess you can literally throw in whatever you want. I'll probably just throw in some butter with the water, garlic, salt, etc. But I still wonder, do I need that metal wire rack?

I'm planning on using this thing tonight to meal prep some frozen chicken thighs. Does anybody have any good, super simple recipes with minimal ingredients? I don't have much at home, just your basic seasonings and such.

Also, do I need that wire pan thing that goes on the bottom? I dont have it on me and most of the recipes I read online suggest that I need it

edit: I guess you can literally throw in whatever you want. I'll probably just throw in some butter with the water, garlic, salt, etc. But I still wonder, do I need that metal wire rack?

No. I don't use the wire rack except when I want to steam something like an egg. I never use it when cooking some part of a chicken.

Ashhong

No. I don't use the wire rack except when I want to steam something like an egg. I never use it when cooking some part of a chicken.

Cool, thanks. Wasn't sure what the point of that was so didn't want to risk it.

Then I'll just throw in some butter, frozen thighs, half a cup of water?, and seasoning and call it a day? Do I need to coat the chicken with the butter or could I just throw it in the pot? Thinking like 15 minutes for a few pounds of chicken

sqwarlock

8 qt. is great. Space is never a concern, and plenty of room to make extras for leftovers.

I can't imagine doing double racks of ribs in a 6 qt. like I can in the 8 qt.

Ribs you say?

Also, is there any problem with not using the entirety of the 8 qt? Like, say I want to cook a small dinner-only meal (no leftovers). I imagine it wouldn't fill much of the pot. Is that an issue?

Machine

Ribs you say?

Also, is there any problem with not using the entirety of the 8 qt? Like, say I want to cook a small dinner-only meal (no leftovers). I imagine it wouldn't fill much of the pot. Is that an issue?

It's not a problem at all. You're actually supposed to leave room at the top anyways. I frequently cook small batches of things such as two or three frozen chicken breasts or a cup of rice.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Can vouch that it's no problem at all. Sometimes I just use it to cook individual dishes and that doesn't take much space in the pot. Works fine.

Hell, sometimes I just throw a few eggs in there to make hard-boiled eggs because I don't want to watch the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom