• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Instant Pot (Pressure Cooker) is amazing aka suggest me more recipes

Status
Not open for further replies.
817Om0cdRLL._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FLYWNYQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I got one of those from Amazon during the Amazon Prime sale and just finally got around to using it and it is fantastic. Made rice then made some chicken. Very simple, very easy. I love it. What I need is more suggestions. Chicken, steak, pot roast, soups, Asian foods, etc. Give it to me all.

Seriously, go out and buy one of these. One of the best things I have ever gotten for my kitchen.

How does the rice turn out? I was debating a new dedicated rice cooker this year, but if this thing can do just as good I may get this.

Would recipes for slow cookers work in a pressure cooker? The cooking methodology used by the two isn't the same is it?

I can't see many places where it would make sense to you slow cooker recipes for pressure cookers. You can, at least with the Instant Pot though, put things on warm for later.

Instant Pot is great for rice, though, as well as yogurt. I don't get to do a lot of braising but pressure cookers are great for that..

DJ_Lae

Damn, the poor guy didn't get any tips.

I love mine, and use it mostly for chili, bolognese, pulled pork, and (dried) beans.

It's got a silly name but that hippressurecooking site has some good recipes and their book is awesome for the Instant Pot.

I'm starting low carb after Thanksgiving (no really) and I plan on just throwing together recipes low on carbs. If anyone has any, don't be a stranger. Can't do stuff like potatoes obviously. Which blows.

Add me to the list of Prime Day buyers who haven't used it yet. But I recall it coming with a booklet full of recipes you could start off with. Can't use mine until after Christmas but I'll throw some recipes in here once I get going.

besada

Banned
Would recipes for slow cookers work in a pressure cooker? The cooking methodology used by the two isn't the same is it?

Most modern pressure cookers are also slow cookers. This one has a slow cook mode that makes it basically identical to a slow cooker. I use mine interchangeably.

besada

Banned
What's the difference between this and a rice cooker?

Among other things, it's got a saute mode, which allows you to brown meat on the bottom heating element before you start pressure/slow cooking. It does rice, although probably slightly less well than a dedicated rice cooker, but it also does pressure cooking for rapid tender meats, and long slow cooking for similar without the pressure. It's a pretty versatile instrument.

Unless you're a rice connoisseur or eat it with every single meal, it seems like the Instant Pot gets you more coverage than a dedicated unit.

why the arbitrary "starting after Thanksgiving"? why not now? That's why it's not believable.

Maybe the dude just wants to enjoy a nice Thanksgiving dinner before he's gotta start watching what he eats. Enjoy one last anything goes meal before tightening things up.

I also got an Instant Pot during that sale and have used it every couple of days ever since. Another thing you can cook in it is hard boiled eggs - with this "recipe" (if you can really call it as such) they cook perfectly and are super easy to peel.

http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2016/04/instant-pot-hard-boiled-eggs.html

Eggs (as many as you like to fill the bottom of the pot rack)
1 cup water
Instant Pot electric pressure cooker– I have this one (affiliate link)
Pour the water into the pot, and place the eggs in a steamer basket if you have one. If you don’t, just use the rack that came with your pot.

Close the lid, set for 5 minutes at high pressure.

It will take the cooker approximately 5 minutes to build to pressure and then 5 minutes to cook. I let the pressure naturally reduce for an additional 5 minutes after the cooking cycle completed, and then did a quick pressure release. That’s around 15 minutes, total.

been cooking various cuts of meat and mushrooms in a chicken stock base with occasional added water, beer, or spirits for the past week to make mushroom gravy for Thanksgiving. it's already insanely complex and keeps getting better.

i honestly cook almost everything in my instant pot. my favorite is to cook some sausages with beer, and when they're finished, steam some cauliflower and broccoli on top of it. throw all that in the blender plus whatever seasoning you prefer and a handful of macadamia nuts for the best soup you've ever had.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Pot roast chili- a suitably sized pot roast, a pound of chorizo (seat the outside of the roast and brown the chorizo with the onions first if you can handle the second utensil) crushed tomatoes, beef broth, splash of apple cider vinegar to destroy the meat's spirit, chili seasoning (get Lowry mix or similar and add cumin and garlic powder or make your own but the masa in it is useful) chopped onions, canned diced jalapeños and a seeded, diced chipotle pepper with a little adobo, some dark chocolate and a little cinnamon or grated Ibarra if you have it. I don't add beans but you should customize to your taste and beans are not evil.

Cook it forever (4 hours over a stove on low heat at least, or whatever that is in pressure cooker time). Shred or chop the pot roast, and eat with crusty bread or rice. HOWEVER if you have the patience, refrigerate overnight and then heat and serve. Way better that way. But you get the same benefit from the leftovers regardless.

LakeEarth

I got a non-electric one as a gift and I've been putting off learning how to use the thing. Should probably just cook some white rice with it just to get started.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I dont really need this. But I want this, damn gaf.

I'm starting low carb after Thanksgiving (no really) and I plan on just throwing together recipes low on carbs. If anyone has any, don't be a stranger. Can't do stuff like potatoes obviously. Which blows.
Did you ever find some keto friendly recipes for this? I'm interested.

Starviper

Also could use some good recipes, bought one earlier this year and have only used it for stew. It was really good and I keep meaning to use it more.

Make some stock with your leftover turkey bones. In the pot put some onions, celery, and carrots, then add the bones and some water and cook it for several hours.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
These things are excellent. I don't think they outright replace anything, but they are great if you want to just make some food without needing to supervise it.

It's hard to find step by step recipes, but two things I commonly make with mine is chili and japanese curry sauce. I have no idea if I count as good at cooking or if this is any good, but it's just what I do:

Chili
- Use the saute function to brown some meat pieces (like beef cubes) but don't cook them fully. Just brown the edges. Add a bit of seasoning if you want. A less greasy alternative is to brown the meat in a saucepan, drain it, and then dump the meat into the pot.
- Dice onions, tomatoes, and any other vegetables you want and throw it into the pot. Add frozen vegetables here if you want too. I'd say around two small onions or half of one big onion is fine for one pound of meat.
- Add about half a cup or a cup of dried, washed chili beans.
- Add water but not enough to cover the whole mixture. I aim for a bit below the top of the mixture. I'm still afraid to add too little water so I still add a bit too much to be safe. If you're using fresh tomatoes, those release a ton of water, and the instant pot retains moisture super well.
- Add seasoning to taste. I add salt, about two tablespoons of chili powder, some italian seasoning, black pepper, and a bit of Worcestershire sauce. I err on the side of under-salting a bit here because I can always add more later.
- Mix everything well.
- Close the pot, turn the pressure valve to closed (iirc that's clockwise), and set it to either manual or chili/stew. Change the timer to 60-90 minutes. It needs to be this long mostly to soften the dried beans. You can go way lower if you want (more like 15-20) without the beans.
- When it's done and depressurized, you can open the pot again, mix everything inside, and it should be probably too watery (which I'm still figuring out). You can correct this by turning on the saute function and leaving the lid off, pressing adjust so that it goes to "low" (medium works too but imo is too hot), and let it boil for a bit to boil off some moisture.
- Serve when you're happy with the consistency.

Japanese Curry - needs some supermarket curry cube packet stuff.
- Brown/drain about a pound of meat either in the pot, or in a saucepan.
- Add diced onions into pot. Two small onions for a pound of beef or so.
- Cut a potato into large cubes and put that in.
- Add water and a bit of salt, and some pepper if you want. DO NOT add the curry mix.
- Set pot on manual for about 15-20 minutes.
- When it's done, open the pot and add the curry powder/cube stuff. Mix well. Set the pot to saute on low, and let it boil off until it's the consistency that you like.
- Season to taste and then serve.

You can also boil just plain potatoes easily with the instant pot. Potatoes cut into cubes are very well done in the pot at around 6 minutes (not including pressurizing/depressurizing time). I make potatoes this way and then mash them to make other stuff.

How does the rice turn out? I was debating a new dedicated rice cooker this year, but if this thing can do just as good I may get this.
I've found it works, but the rice that the instant pot makes doesn't have quite the same texture as a dedicated rice cooker rice. I ended up getting a separate rice cooker.

It works great for congee though!

Geist-

Is this worth getting if I'm mainly just going to use it for rice? Or is it better to get a cheaper dedicated rice cooker?

Enco

A++

Best thing I've purchased. Cooked chicken from frozen in 25 minutes, easy clean up, super simple, no hassle. So good.

I've tried rice, chicken, lentils, beef, chili, turkey and soup and it has all been great.

This destroys slow cooking.

Made chicken adobo with brown rice. My dedicated rice cooker never softened brown rice enough for my liking. With the instant pot, it came out perfect; soft, sticky, while staying whole. So yeah, I'll be donating my rice cooker and slow cooker to the goodwill today.

BCU6ZuB.jpg

I was gonna buy one for my mother but I'm glad I didn't as there is a small learning curve and the manual isn't very good.

I'm gonna download the app and see if the recipes and instructions are there to use with the non Bluetooth instant pot.

I don't have the Instant Pot, but my mom gave me her brand new Nesco PC6-25 Digital Pressure Cooker that she never uses. I just used it for the first time. Went with an easy recipe:

• 2 frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 cup of salsa
  • 1/2 cup of water

Pressure cooked on high for 12 minutes.

Delicious! I'm honestly blown away. Frozen chicken cooked perfectly in ~20 mins. Pure sorcery... I can't believe I had never used one of these things before.

oti

Banned
I don't have the Instant Pot, but my mom gave me her brand new Nesco PC6-25 Digital Pressure Cooker that she never uses. I just used it for the first time. Went with an easy recipe:

• 2 frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 cup of salsa
  • 1/2 cup of water

Pressure cooked on high for 12 minutes.

Delicious! I'm honestly blown away. Frozen chicken cooked perfectly in ~20 mins. Pure sorcery... I can't believe I had never used one of these things before.

This sounds amazing. But it's like 120€. 😢
Maybe I'll just get it for Christmas for myself. Treat yo self and all that.

Machine

Make some stock with your leftover turkey bones. In the pot put some onions, celery, and carrots, then add the bones and some water and cook it for several hours.

Doesn't take "several hours" in a pressure cooker. You can make stock in one hour whereas cooking stock in a slow cooker or on the stovetop would take much longer to get the same results. I've making stock with Costco rotisserie chicken carcasses and it works great.

jaypah

Got a pressure cooker as a wedding present 3 years ago and never looked back. The thing is like black magic honestly. You can buy a big piece of cheap meat and it'll come out tender and flavorful. My God, the chicken. So tender! Shred it off the bone with some rice and gravy, super quick meal.

Put meat in, add seasoning and some kind of liquid. Set it and come back in a little while to tender seasoned meat. Cook veggies perfectly. Make soups and stews. Man, I love it.

Doesn't take "several hours" in a pressure cooker. You can make stock in one hour whereas cooking stock in a slow cooker or on the stovetop would take much longer to get the same results. I've making stock with Costco rotisserie chicken carcasses and it works great.

Yeah, stocks don't take long at all. About an hour like you said. A few chopped veggies and some bones and you've got yourself a stock good enough to drink straight out the pot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom