• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Instant Pot (Pressure Cooker) is amazing aka suggest me more recipes

Status
Not open for further replies.
curry bros. i made something similar last week too. its actually way too much food for one person though...like i need to learn how to adjust the recipes unless i want to eat curry for a week lol

which is literally what I've been doing. yeah, it makes a horrifying amount of food.

This thread gives me hope that if at first you don't succeed then... wait a while and your thread will be resurrected!

Anyway, thanks to the OP and subsequent replies for bringing this thing to my attention.

this_guy

Made some pork spare ribs yesterday - cooked 30 min in the pressure cooker and finished in the oven. Fall off the bone goodness.

So an instant pot is 100% better than a normal slow cooker right? If I get an instant pot I can toss my slow cooker or does it still have use?

SpecX

Been using this at least 2-3 times a week. Makes cooking very simple. Made some beef stew on Monday night. Sauted the beef, onions, and garlic together, seasoned the meat a bit, poured in beef broth, carrots, tomato paste, can of peas, and some carrots and let it pressure cook for 40 minutes. Meat was very soft, full of flavor, and plenty of leftovers.

Put some pinto beans and smoked pork shanks in last night. 3 cups of beans, 6-8 cups of water, and 3 smoked pork shanks (4th one chopped and mixed in). 45 mins later and the beans were cooked through with a good balance of salty smoke flavor to them.

nillapuddin

Best spaghetti ever.

1 lb ground beef (browned)
1/2 lb spaghetti noodle (break in half)
23 oz Sauce
23 Oz water (fill up the sauce you just emptied)

Set to 4 minutes
(no straining needed)

Also, for all the lil nasties out there
2 boxes craft mac and cheese
2 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup Milk
1/2 butter stick *(misremembered the amount)

Set to 3 minutes

Also easier ways to make, Vigo Spanish Yellow Rice (4 min), Beef Stroganoff Hamburger Helper (6 min), other boxed food, etc.

Usually, cut the liquid in half and cut the time in half.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
If you like pho (Vietnamese noodles), it seems you can make the broth in the instant pot, too.

I tried out this recipe a while back with a few modifications, and it tasted great.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/01/30-minute-pressure-cooker-pho-ga-recipe.html

Main differences in what I did:
- Add salt. The recipe doesn't say anything about salt anywhere, but you need to add some or else it tastes like something is missing. I added about 2-3 teaspoons.
- Either chicken or beef work as the meat portion of the broth. Preferably a beef part that has lots of cartilage, like the knuckle. Some beef pho recipes ask for ox tail, but I was way too cheap to use that.
- I boiled some sliced beef into the broth at the end of the recipe (after straining out the spices and bones). Seemed to help.

Ferrio

Banned
So an instant pot is 100% better than a normal slow cooker right? If I get an instant pot I can toss my slow cooker or does it still have use?

Slow cooker is still better when serving out of it at parties, but anything actually cooking related is redundant.

SpecX

Slow cooker is still better when serving out of it at parties, but anything actually cooking related is redundant.

This is true, though if you don't have that use then I'd toss it. Instant Pot has a slow cooker mode as well that can be used if you still want to do that all day cooking method.

oti

Banned
Made potatoe salad.

Bunch of potatoes and eggs for 6 minutes on high (took quite a while to heat up mind you). Potatoes came out perfect, eggs were cooked. Added some vegetables, olive oil, seasoning and Bockwurst. Super delicious, super easy.

Basically this without all the terrible stuff.

https://youtu.be/qy0IeR11-lA

taybul

What is with this device that is getting hyped everywhere?

Basically trivializes any recipe with its "set it and forget it" style cooking. Significantly reduces the time spent on typical slow cooker recipes. I had never made a pot roast before in my life and the first time I tried it with this device, it was easily the best I had ever had.

this_guy

Recipe dammit!

There's so many recipes on youtube for pressure cooked ribs.

This one is a good guide: https://youtu.be/LYxQSt58zmA

He used apple cider and apple vinegar for the liquid, I used beef broth.

I took the ribs, removed the membrane. Added a little bit of salt to the ribs.

Sliced my rack of ribs into thirds so it could fit into the pressure cooker easily.

4 cups of beef broth. (Kroger's had cans that were $0.50 each for 2 cups)

Cooked on high pressure for 32 minutes. (I've seen lots of youtubers put anywhere from 25-35 minutes, so I chose 32 just because)

After it's done in the pressure cooker, apply whatever bbq sauce. I used a mustard based bbq sauce from Kroger's for $1.19 (mustard based sauces have much less sugar than standard bbq sauce and still taste good to me).

With the bbq sauce applied, I put it in a preheated oven set at 450 degrees for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, I put on the broiler setting for another 2 minutes. This gives the ribs a nice browning/crispy layer like it came off the grill. Note the ribs are already cooked after the pressure cooker, the oven is to change the texture. Ribs out of the pressure cooker are fall off the bone but aren't the prettiest thing. The oven changes that.

So -
Pressure cooker 32 min
Oven 10 min at 450 degrees.
Broiler setting on oven for another 2-3 min

This works well with both baby back and spare ribs. Baby back are easier to get into the pressure cooker, but spare ribs are so much bigger and have more meat. And when it falls off the bone like that it's amazing.

ESBL

I should probably try ribs in the instant pot as my first cook, but I really don't like fall off the bone ribs. Also you cannot beat properly smoked ribs, but in 30 mins, I'll take it.

this_guy

I should probably try ribs in the instant pot as my first cook, but I really don't like fall off the bone ribs. Also you cannot beat properly smoked ribs, but in 30 mins, I'll take it.

If you don't like it fall off the bone just do 20-25 min instead of 30+. You still want to finish in the oven though.

Ixian

What is with this device that is getting hyped everywhere?
They sold a bunch during Black Friday and Prime Day and people are finally overcoming their fears of actually using it. :p (The instruction manual and buttons make it sound more complicated than it actually is.)

Making broccoli and cheddar soup for dinner tonight, then my first batch of pulled pork for Super Bowl Sunday. :D

Grym

The way I do ribs in the IP

1. Remove membrane
2. Put on a dry rub (salt, garlic salt, black pepper, smoked paprika,sugar, onion powder, coriander, allspice)
3. Add trivet to IP
4. Add cup of apple juice and 1/4 cup apple cidar vinegar
5. Instead of cutting ribs up, you can stand the whole rack together on end and kinda make a ring of meat around the pot. This leaves the center empty. (*works with baby backs. Not sure if spare ribs fit this way)
6. If you want some baked potatoes with your ribs, stuff the extra space in the middle with some potatoes (make sure you poke them well with a fork so they don't rupture).
7. Manual 25 minutes
8. 15 minute NPR
9. Finish the ribs in the oven for 5-10 minutes with BBQ sauce

UberTag

They sold a bunch during Black Friday and Prime Day and people are finally overcoming their fears of actually using it. :p (The instruction manual and buttons make it sound more complicated than it actually is.)
I still haven't overcome my fear of actually using it. I just know once I start I'll wonder why I left it ignored on its shelf for so long, too.

Tugatrix

Basically trivializes any recipe with its "set it and forget it" style cooking. Significantly reduces the time spent on typical slow cooker recipes. I had never made a pot roast before in my life and the first time I tried it with this device, it was easily the best I had ever had.

Making broccoli and cheddar soup for dinner tonight, then my first batch of pulled pork for Super Bowl Sunday. :D

ok basically it's a more sophisticated pressure pot?

The way I do ribs in the IP

1. Remove membrane
2. Put on a dry rub (salt, garlic salt, black pepper, smoked paprika,sugar, onion powder, coriander, allspice)
3. Add trivet to IP
4. Add cup of apple juice and 1/4 cup apple cidar vinegar
5. Instead of cutting ribs up, you can stand the whole rack together on end and kinda make a ring of meat around the pot. This leaves the center empty. (*works with baby backs. Not sure if spare ribs fit this way)
6. If you want some baked potatoes with your ribs, stuff the extra space in the middle with some potatoes (make sure you poke them well with a fork so they don't rupture).
7. Manual 25 minutes
8. 15 minute NPR
9. Finish the ribs in the oven for 5-10 minutes with BBQ sauce

That's almost identical to my method and they turn out great every time. HiFive!

ESBL

Made spare ribs in the instant pot, cooked on high for 20 minutes, still came too fall off the bone for my preference. But hey can't beat having ribs ready in 30 minutes vs 6 hours on the smoker.......

this_guy

Made spare ribs in the instant pot, cooked on high for 20 minutes, still came too fall off the bone for my preference. But hey can't beat having ribs ready in 30 minutes vs 6 hours on the smoker.......

It's too convenient to not use the pressure cooker. Plus I can usually get ribs for pretty cheap from Krogers.

Trying short rib ragu over parpadelle pasta today. Instead of short rib I have some inexpensive chuck from the freezer that I will cook first til soft then cook again with some chopped veggies and sauce from a jar. I know I can just throw the pasta in with the sauce but I don't like how that looks. I'd rather cook the pasta on the stove and pour the ragu on top before serving.

SRG01

I tried cooking some ribs in it last night on the meat setting and the meat came out too soft. How long should I set it for so the meat still retains some texture?

I tried cooking some ribs in it last night on the meat setting and the meat came out too soft. How long should I set it for so the meat still retains some texture?
Whatever the meat setting was, just subtract about 5 mins from that.

Pork ribs need far less time than beef ribs.

I used this recipe, and they turned out perfectly.

Instructions say "Close lid and pressure cook at High Pressure for 16 – 25 minutes. Adjust the timing according to your preference: 16 minutes (Tender with a bit of chew) to 25 minutes (Fall off the bone)." I did 18 minutes, and they had the perfect amount of texture.

shredded beef ragu. smells amazing, can't wait to pour it over pasta.

vOQzxUx.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom