• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Instant pot!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I love that I can cook dry beans in 6-10 minutes (depending on desired texture you want) after soaking, and they come out perfect every single time.

Last edited:
Came in expecting something to add water and miraculously turn into pot.
Not that this doesn't seem like a nice thing to have in a kitchen, but due to my expectations, i'm disappointed.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
SgezikK.png

lil puff

I am considering one, but I just don't know how I can let the food cool down before putting it in the fridge so late after work.

Maybe weekends only.

I would love to put smoked turkey and rice and beans in it.

Catphish

I bought my Zojirushi rice cooker about a month before I heard of the Instant Pot.

As much as I love the rice cooker, I wish I would have gotten the Instant Pot instead. :(

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I bought my first one a few months ago.

Tried to make a gigantic pot of jambalaya to portion out for meals for myself for a few days. I guess I put way too much in the pot and it kept automatically turning off and I eventually gave up and transferred it to a regular pot to finish cooking. It didn't go well at all.

Haven't used it since that.

lil puff

I bought my Zojirushi rice cooker about a month before I heard of the Instant Pot.

As much as I love the rice cooker, I wish I would have gotten the Instant Pot instead. :(
Didn't you use to have the avatar with the cat with a fish in it's mouth?

lil puff

I bought my first one a few months ago.

Tried to make a gigantic pot of jambalaya to portion out for meals for myself for a few days. I guess I put way too much in the pot and it kept automatically turning off and I eventually gave up and transferred it to a regular pot to finish cooking. It didn't go well at all.

Haven't used it since that.
Wait, what?

Why did it turn off? Was it getting too hot?

Transferring it to a regular pot seems to defeat the purpose.

dorkimoe

I have made quite a few amazing dishes with it and I am not good at cooking at all. Chicken comes out so good and pulled pork

lachesis

I got one early last year after a particularly stressful work day out of whim. It was on sale on Amazon so couldn't pass up.
It ended up sitting in the box for next several months because the weather was hot... but I started to use it on colder days.

So far I really like it. It's not as "instant" as they say - once it's pressurized, it's pretty quick - but coming up to the boil sometimes takes quite some time, especially if you are making soups or stews. :(

Then again, it frees up my stove top, so I can cook something else while I'm using the instant pot... so it's really helpful if you are trying to please a crowd or so.

Out of 3 legendary culinary gadgets (Sous Vide, Instant Pot and Air Fryer) - I squarely put instant pot to #1, Sous Vide to #2 and Air Fryer to #3.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Wait, what?

Why did it turn off? Was it getting too hot?

Transferring it to a regular pot seems to defeat the purpose.

There's some kind of auto shutoff that gets triggered when something in the pot starts to burn. I did a really bad job making the meal so it was totally my fault. I think it was the combination of me using it to sear meat, then dumping in a bunch of starchy rice (which burned), and then loading a lot of extra ingredients on top of that. I didn't follow the recipe at all... I just dumped in a ton of ingredients.

It was an hours long ordeal. I removed everything from the instant pot so I could deglaze it 2 or 3 times, but the giant mess of ingredients I put in the pot wouldn't cook.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

I have that brand rice cooker as well, made in Japan model, and I had it for about 12 years and it still works brand new.

Now while I like the instant pot with its rice, that rice cooker you're able to play with it better to get the certain dryness if you want to make fried rice and and so forth.

So I usually still steam my rice or quinoa in the rice cooker, and keep with the instant pot for beans and other such main courses.

Last edited:

lil puff

There's some kind of auto shutoff that gets triggered when something in the pot starts to burn. I did a really bad job making the meal so it was totally my fault. I think it was the combination of me using it to sear meat, then dumping in a bunch of starchy rice (which burned), and then loading a lot of extra ingredients on top of that. I didn't follow the recipe at all... I just dumped in a ton of ingredients.

It was an hours long ordeal. I removed everything from the instant pot so I could deglaze it 2 or 3 times, but the giant mess of ingredients I put in the pot wouldn't cook.
LOL did you put water in? Kidding. I would probably make the same mistake.

DunDunDunpachi DunDunDunpachi Oh really. Dang. Too good to be true I guess. The idea of air frying never wrapped around my head, so I was curious.

LOLCats

Banned
was going to buy one on black friday, but a lot of reviews mentioned it broke after a few months or a year. Figured meh i dont need it that bad.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
LOL did you put water in? Kidding. I would probably make the same mistake.

DunDunDunpachi DunDunDunpachi Oh really. Dang. Too good to be true I guess. The idea of air frying never wrapped around my head, so I was curious.
It's a neat idea (fry with out oil, therefore lower calories) but if you're going to spend the money, just get a fryer.

"Hello. I'd like to pay double for an appliance that fries food. This one makes an inferior fried food? Nice, I'll take one".

My dealer's fast, but not instant. Does he live next door to you or something?

Never have actually smoked weed lol

I've thought about getting one of these, but doing keto cuts out a lot of the uses (grains). I guess it could be used for roasts or cornish hens, or maybe some chili sin frijoles.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR

I've thought about getting one of these, but doing keto cuts out a lot of the uses (grains). I guess it could be used for roasts or cornish hens, or maybe some chili sin frijoles.
I don't own one myself, but safely cooking large quantities of meat seems very useful.

lil puff

It's a neat idea (fry with out oil, therefore lower calories) but if you're going to spend the money, just get a fryer.

"Hello. I'd like to pay double for an appliance that fries food. This one makes an inferior fried food? Nice, I'll take one".
I remember I had a countertop deep fryer years ago.

Best time of my life. Hated cleaning it.

Honestly deep frying isn't that fatty either. Pan frying is probably worse.

lil puff

Can you have beans on Keto diet? Or potatoes? I don't eat too many grains, but I eat those.

Cornish hen is a great idea.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I remember I had a countertop deep fryer years ago.

Best time of my life. Hated cleaning it.

Honestly deep frying isn't that fatty either. Pan frying is probably worse.
If there was a good way of keeping the oil sterile and storing it without taking up so much space, that would push me to get a fryer.

Currently, I resort to the good ol' "wok full of oil" thing and it's good enough for the occasions when I fry something. But it's a big waste of oil, which is a shame.

Can you have beans on Keto diet? Or potatoes? I don't eat too many grains, but I eat those.

Cornish hen is a great idea.

Beans and potatoes are starchy, so they have too many carbs. One normal-size potato has 40-50 carbs in it. For roasts, I would probably add carrots and onions for flavor, but I can't eat much of either due to the carbs. Maybe half a carrot.

I found a prime rib instant pot recipe, so that would work great for me. I can get it on sale occasionally, and it lasts me quite a while. A regular beef roast (like an eye round) would work too, then. It'd be great to come home to a medium-rare rib roast roasted in au jus rather than just making it on the weekend.

Cornish hens are great. A sprig of rosemary inside, a spice rub, and some carrots around it.

If there was a good way of keeping the oil sterile and storing it without taking up so much space, that would push me to get a fryer.

Currently, I resort to the good ol' "wok full of oil" thing and it's good enough for the occasions when I fry something. But it's a big waste of oil, which is a shame.

Yeah, frying sucks. I haven't deep fried anything in a long time because it's a pain to fry enough to make it worth it. I used to fry like a couple dozen pork chops and chicken breasts in one batch to not waste oil.

lil puff

Oil is not that expensive though.

But as long as it's not fish, I used to reuse it a few times. It was fine, maybe even better.

I sorta agree it feels bad to pour all of it out.

lil puff

Yeah, frying sucks. I haven't deep fried anything in a long time because it's a pain to fry enough to make it worth it. I used to fry like a couple dozen pork chops and chicken breasts in one batch to not waste oil.
Yup.

Once you've fried all of it, it's so easy to fridge it and then just put in the oven later.

Can you fry in the Insta Pot? I'd guess it doesn't reach the right temp...

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What’s the difference between this and a regular pressure cooker?

More options I assume. They usually do a lot more. Like steam rice and grains, pressure cook, slow cook, make various yogurts, etc..

I bought this model on sale during the Black Friday sales on Amazon...

Instant Pot DUO80 8 Qt 7-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B1VC13K/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Regularly $140USD, but they had it on sale for $70USD.

One of the best appliance purchases I ever made. So easy to use. Saves a ton of time, and cooks super fast.

Soup broth with veggie scraps done in literally 3 minutes, dry beans in 25 minutes on average but I still presoak the old-fashioned way so they're literally done in 8 minutes, and perfect every single time.

Last edited:

Duellist

We have had one for a year or so now and use it quite a bit. Not so much in the summer though. Love it, going to do some pulled pork in it tomorrow.

MultiCore

I have an 8qt model.

It's a pressure cooker. We've been using pressure cookers... hell, my whole life.

It's not magic. For me, it's just an additional way to allocate cooking resources when doing large meals.

I've cooked a couple cheesecakes in mine, not sure I'd do that in my regular pressure cooker.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Instant Pot is the shit. It's very versatile. I'm going to use it tonight to make some chicken sandwiches. At first I thought this thread was about Instantaneous Marijuana, but after going through it. I feel a kindred spirit in the posters here.

Duellist

Pork shoulder salted overnight then rubbed with meatheads Memphis dust( google it for recipe) and let sit for 24 hrs( dont have to do that long). Depending on size I cut mine into 4 so it cooks faster. Put into pot add 1 can of dr pepper and 2 cups bbq sauce. Cook for 65 min. Came out pretty good. Lots of liquid left over. I took meat out and pulled then added a bit more bbq. Pretty awesome pulled pork for a quick meal.

Last edited:
Top Bottom