• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel 12th Gen Alder Lake Starts Replacing AMD Ryzen Chips In Retailer Top-Selling CPU Charts, Desktop & Notebook Share Climbs In Q4 2021

tusharngf

AMD's Ryzen 5000 had a great long run since their launch, being the top-selling CPUs uncontested for several months but with the launch of the 12th Gen Alder Lake lineup, Intel seems to be taking up the top positions really quick.

Starting with , the Intel Core i7-12700K is the 2nd best-selling chip on the list, just below the AMD Ryzen 5 5600X which still holds the top spot. The price difference between the 5600X and the 12700K is just under $60 US but Alder Lake offers much superior gaming and multi-threading performance. The Core i9-12900K and the Core i5-12600K currently sit at 6th and 7th spot, below the AMD Ryzen 9 5900X but they have managed to push AMD's flagship Ryzen 9 5950X out of the top-10 list.

Intel-12th-Gen-Alder-Lake-Desktop-CPU-Market-Share-_Newegg-1404x1480.png

Moving over to , the US retail shows that while AMD still dominates the top positions, Intel has caught up and their Core i9-12900K beats the Ryzen 9 5950X as the top-selling flagship chip. It's also seen that the Core i7-12700K and Core i5-12600K are quickly gaining ground against AMD's Ryzen 7 5800X & Ryzen 5 5600X. The shows a whole different story with Alder Lake claiming 9 out of the top 10 best-selling CPU spots. The Core i9-12900K obviously takes the top spot but the Core i7-12700K sits at 3rd and Core i5-12600K sits at 4th spot.

Intel-12th-Gen-Alder-Lake-Desktop-CPU-Market-Share-_BestBuy-1105x1480.png

amazon japan
Intel-12th-Gen-Alder-Lake-Desktop-CPU-Market-Share-_Amazon-JP-1480x476.png

germany

Intel-12th-Gen-Alder-Lake-Desktop-CPU-Market-Share-_OCUK-1064x1480.png

Intel's 12th Gen Alder Lake CPUs will likely help then gain the desktop market share while the battle in the mobility segment is going to continue in the coming quarters with Intel's 12th Gen & AMD's Ryzen 6000 series battling it out however independent tech analysts have already pointed out that Intel's Alder Lake mobility lineup have an advantage in the laptop/notebook space owing to their better performance and pricing this time around. In the server space, AMD is going to carry the momentum with Milan-X and Genoa later this year while Sapphire Rapids-SP keeps on missing its launch schedule. AMD will also be launching its Ryzen 7000 series later this year which will compete against Intel's 13th Gen Raptor Lake lineup.

Source : https://wccftech.com/intel-12th-gen...rts-desktop-notebook-share-climbs-in-q4-2021/

Erebus

Upgraded from a 3570k to 12700k this Christmas. Even while keeping my old GPU the difference in gaming performance is more than noticeable.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
So intel are the best in price + performance now?
They had that crown when AMD decided to price gouge with the 5000 series and NOT release anything below the 5600X.
The 10th gen were better bang for buck than the 5000 series as soon as the 5000 series dropped.

Intel have just extended that lead to levels somewhere beyond.
The 12400f is pocket change but walks a 5600X?

I just hope Intel dont also get arrogant like AMD and decide RaptorLake deserves a massive price bump.

Not interested in current line up from either.
What's the expectation on 7000 vs 13th gen?
RaptorLake will be an incremental update to AlderLake.
Its expected to have a massive jump in cache size and more E cores on die....so upgrading probably wont be worth it for most people.
But if the X3D chips gain 15% from a jump in cache(doubt) maybe the increase cache on Raptorlake will bring a sizeable upgrade....assuming software will take advantage of it.

Only reason im looking forward to RaptorLake is LGA1700 lives on, and I can actually upgrade to 12900K for a fraction of the price when Raptor drops, as is right now a 12400 holds its own against the best of them.
By the time RaptorLake drops maybe games and applications will actually be able to fully utilize the architecture.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Well deserved, they have better performance and value than 5000 series. Nice to see some actual competition again.

Only thing that sucks is DDR5 prices are so ridiculous. Makes way more sense to stick with a DDR4 motherboard right now, but then you won’t have an upgrade path for much longer (rumor is that Raptor Lake will still support DDR4 but after that it’s DDR5 only).

jigglet

Banned
When I next upgrade I’m going to buy the best CPU at the time. AMD or Intel, I don’t care. Fuck this fanboy shit. I’m not a shareholder so why do I care.

Top Bottom